What would you have done in his shoes...

What would you have done in his shoes? Could the Marines be saved and complete the mission without destroying the entire facility?

Attached: aliens10.jpg (1920x1080, 1.53M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aHjRQJZsUGg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's unclear in the movie if they've ever encountered the Xenomorph before. There are references to "just another bug hunt" and Ferro's dropship nose art is a big boot with the title "Bug smasher" or something similar.

Whilst it's evident that the Marines had dealt with "bugs" previously, they clearly underestimated these bugs.

This movie was a hippy comparison to Vietnam war era American overconfidence. That despite their equipment and other resources, they perform poorly due to lack of attention and respect of the foe.

Could they have made a clean kill and won the day? Yes, but not with that attitude.

Not shitting on it, Aliens is in my top 5 fave flicks.

Further more, if I was them, I'd have sent a drone in first to scout things out, or made use of existing CCTV more. These are things they did have on hand, if you look in the background.

I suspect (in hindsight), the Xenomorphs may have ignored a drone rolling through the hive, as it could not be a host to breed from.

They perceive androids as threats, though that could be because of their human appearance.

Maybe they share the same fictional universe as starship troopers

It is clear that they've encountered other things before, but not necessarily these particular types of "bug."

Attached: bug-stomper1.jpg (800x729, 249K)

There was a consideration that they roll out nerve gas, and try to get them that way, but it was overruled due to the fact that they didn't know if it'd work. What if it did?

Indeed. I was more thinking a remote control rolling trolley with camera on it. Something really industrial and lifeless.

It is amazing the plot holes regarding the disparity of technology in that movie. Weapons that belong in the late 80's delivered by interstellar travel...

I must live that movie hard. Any other movie I'd shit on for these reasons.

Regarding shittable movies. I fucking hated Prometheus. Why the living fuck does anyone assemble a team of utterly unstable, incompatible fuckwits, who can't get along, for a 90 trillion, once in s lifetime voyage??

I don't get it. A little homework would have gone a long way. Fuckin Hollywood.

>It is amazing the plot holes regarding the disparity of technology in that movie. Weapons that belong in the late 80's delivered by interstellar travel...
its almost like the movie is from the 80s

any movie about the future made from the perspective of the past is going to look dated in the present, no matter how well researched it is
not that research is a top priority, as they usually look to the past to build a vision of the future in order to tell a story, and will often deliberately discard realistic things to build their plot

about the closest we got to real tech is 2001 space odyssey, which nailed the modern aesthetic of space 40 years ago
but still overestimated our technology by at least 50 years, 2001 came and went and still no moon base

aliens was a rather topical movie about then recent vietnam war but in space
the goal was to send a message about current events rather than accurately depict futuristic warfare against bugs

Well said. Don't get me wrong, being an 80's kid, I love 80's movies.

2001 was so on point in many ways. Even the tablet pc was identified as prior art in the Samsung vs Apple patent cases.

this is a high quality post

>40 years ago
>1968
A-user...

Attached: 1544907147271.jpg (201x250, 9K)

50 year celebration last year.
tfw didnt get to catch a single screening.
tfw didnt get to visit the space odyssey exhibit in DC even when i was close because i was too fucking busy

Attached: 1542409671782.jpg (645x773, 80K)

>What would you have done in his shoes
As soon as the xenomorph infestation was discovered, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

The problem lies in the ammunition. The 10mm caseless SLAP round had the potential to rupture the cooling system of the reactor. The ammo was confiscated but some of the low IQ Colonial Marines kept some magazines in case SHTF, namely Vasquez, the Hispanic low IQ, jew irl, Jenette Goldstein.
So, Gorman did what he could to prevent the reactor of the atmospheric processor going critical, it was one low IQ mexican that ruined everything.

the ammunition also had an Explosive tip, worked great on the Xenos.

I would have spoken louder to hopefully have Apone hear me through the static. Him mumbling caused Apone to hesitate and get distracted trying to hear the radio, leading to his capture/death.

Other than that, perhaps exercising more caution when the advisor (ripley) says shit is gonna get bad fast. Caution doesn't hurt, plus those colonists have been incommunicado for weeks, a few more hours won't hurt since it won't jeopardize the mission. Especially when they learn they're under the main coolant tanks. I would have told them to come DIRECTLY back to base and rearm with incinirators, non AP ammo, more buckshot 12 gauge stuff, etc.

I know that pain, user.
>tfw it wasn't even screened in the small-ass town i live in because the shitty 2 cinemas in here only have the big normalfag blockbusters

Attached: 1555801279362.jpg (669x627, 65K)

>They can survive in extreme temperatures, are well-adapted to swimming, can respire in harsh atmospheres, and can survive in vacuum for indeterminate lengths of time. Their movement tends to be silent, and they do not radiate heat as their exoskeletal temperature matches the ambient temperature.

the fact that they can survive vacuum, ie. being deprived of oxygen could mean they have at least resistance to things like nerve gases.. maybe if you're lucky they will be incapacitated momentarily

first.
I would have taken ripley fucking serious
They are sending me because its fucking serious
i have multiple nukes on board my ship.
I have plasma cannons
nerve agent bombs
sharp sticks

I was sent to kill something. I take that job fucking seriously.
instead of being a complete fucking tard.
I know the layout of this shake and bake colony before i even leave the station. I know that its a nuke..

i do some prelim scans and i nuke it. i don't even touch down.
I answer my superiors and tell them that there was surface indication of superior hostile numbers and i nuke.

if anything is said i take full responsibility.

underrated.

meh nerve agent can sub micron through human flesh. I don't think that aliens can hold up.

why

because they secrete a mucus my man....
>almonds

>I would have taken ripley fucking serious
This.

>namely Vasquez, the Hispanic

good deth much glory

youtube.com/watch?v=aHjRQJZsUGg

>jew irl, Jenette Goldstein.

You always were an asshole Gorman

Nerve gases kill people by making them asphyxiate, if your enemy can't asphyxiate to death is you nerve gas gonna do any good?

WY deliberately downplayed the danger and pulled strings to have an inexperienced LT in order to manipulate them into sneaking a xeno embryo out of the planet
WY is the reason they terraformed a planet filled with eggs in the first place, in fact

the marines went in expecting a cakewalk because WY deliberately had them go in umexpected
indeed they had thought the colonials were still around

> dont even touch down just nuke it bro
And after nuking several trillion dollars worth of WeyYu assets, not getting the specimen that was their alterior motive, and all on the basis of 'she said scary aliens and i did a scan thing', your asshole would so wide the Marines couldve crawled through it to escape the control room. Would probs end up somewhere like Fury 161.

Also they cut the normal amount of marines and crew sent in by half, if you read up on it. If I was Gorman even a fresh green weenie. My right nut would of told my left, somthing might not be right here and take a more sound tacticle approach to the mission.

Vick off retard

from where you and I sit WY - yes you said is correct.

From Where I am Gorman - i described how I would have performed in his shoes. plain and simple.

You are sending a complete fucking bad ass ACROSS the fucking Galaxy when you send me and my boys. I'm not fucking around with the lives of my guys.
I'm leaving station with intel, maps, weather, telemetry, EVERYTHING. I'm getting that shit anyway i can. And if i sense obstruction...well thats going to make me even more adverse to touching my drop ship down without a solid 4 week air recon.

>i do some prelim scans and i nuke it. i don't even touch down.
So going solely off the testimony of a civilian who had to try and fend off a creature with a blowtorch (while you have the full military toybox and plenty of properly trained friends) and a SciFi sufficiently-advanced-scan you're going to assume that shit's so fucked that you'd rather ruin your life than to even try to go down and do marine things. (Because let's face it, the company will make sure you're in debtor's prison/indented slavery for this, and you're never paying off that installation). Sounds like someone's making decisions at the start of the movie based on having seen the entire movie.

>I know the layout of this shake and bake colony before i even leave the station.
Now that I'll give you. Doing your homework is highly recommended.

Given the rather spectacular reactivity of their blood I wouldn't bet on their neurochemistry being anything remotely resembling that of any terrestrial life.

kinda like what happened to ripley right...oh yeah thats right she walked free and got a job immediately after that meeting.

well FIRE kills them so being carbon based life forms is in my McNig

I can't remember the novel, but they ahve encountered bugs before. It wasn't this particular version of the xenomorph though. They were able to fly and lived on a planet with a flammable atmosphere. Mr H reviews is a good youtube channel that researches alot of the lore.

Attached: 1388977112027.jpg (1024x1439, 64K)

The SS13 server was fun for the few weeks I bothered to play it.

Remember that Weyland simply wants live specimens of the xenomorphs because of their value in bioresearch and other uses. The loss of the colony was unimportant as were the lives of the marines and ship crew.

also this, the marines weren't trained or disciplined and were expecting a more mundane threat. Weyland of course is secretive in its corporate projects, cut costs even at mission risk, and they likely underestimated the threat too.

Yeah, they kept her around since she could be useful. A boot that doesn't even try to do his job on the other hand, yeah, an example will be made.

They don't perceive androids as threats, there was even a cut scene in alien 3 (the abortion that it is) that shows the Bishop character pick up a facehugger.

Why did Mann in Interstellar murder the people who rescued him when it was clear there were enough supplies for everyone?

Well I'm just going by what I would do off of how fucking paranoid I myself am. People are responding as if im talking about Gorman. In this instance I AM GORMAN. And I am 100000% more useful than the attitude and competency he displayed.

You don't nuke because:
>Survivors
>The colony is corporate property
>The xenomorph itself is valuable

Wait, you think you need to be a carbon based life-form for fire to be harmful? It never struck you that heat can fuck shit up that's neither carbon-based nor alive? And on top of that it isn't like all it takes for a nerve agent to do its thing is for something to be carbon-based. It isn't sulphuric acid, just ripping away oxygen and hydrogen out of compounds, instead nerve agents very specifically target various molecule sin your nerve chemistry. VX for example ain't gonna do shit unless there's something basically identical to acetylcholinesterase in there.

> just like happened to ripley
50 years prior long after the insurance would have paid out for the Nostromo as a result of, as far as they can tell, company orders that the crew wouldnt have known were anything but legit. The inquest wasnt a trial, it was just trying to find out what happened several decades after the fact.

Some leatherneck walking over to a colony that theyve spent 20 years developing and saying 'huh...yeah lets just mcfucking nuke it for lols' is a different story. Especially when its actually come down from the head sheds, and not just some random person in the company tasking a passing tug with finding a beacon on a derelict planet.

Survive in a vacuum is different from being able to *act* in a vacuum. Likely they go into a kind of hibernation and become inactive. They survive if they get air again, and they can probably do short spacewalks without air, but they’re not running around for hours or days in a vacuum.

>Be Gorman
>exterminate large arthropods for WY on a regular basis
>usually the colonists are still mostly alive or it was a skeleton crew that got overrun
>get told it is stinky arthropods again
>colony not responding, could be people alive
They xenomorphs were completely different from their expectation of the usual hostile fauna or primitive alien tribals. Neither of which would require a delay in landing.

>uh WY, this is Gorman, I'm not going to do that thing you expected me to because I'm extra scared this time, I'm just going to wait up here even though you told me there were living people down there that need my help, they just have broken radios.

>The colony is corporate property
There was a significant dollar value attached to that facility...

>exterminate large arthropods for WY on a regular basis
Actually, this was Gorman's first mission.

They've never encounter xenomorph's. The way they joke about it and gave Ripley shit when she is briefing them shows it. Even when she stated how just one of them killed her entire crew, they still made jokes.

>38 drops, simulated
>2 combat drops, including this one

>Well I'm just going by what I would do off of how fucking paranoid I myself am.
So you're that paranoid, yet somehow you seem to think that the company won't hurt you?
Yeah, that's less paranoia and more "I've seen the movie and I'm genre savvy enough to know I won't survive".

I think from the inquest there's dialogue asking why she failed to retain the xenomorph, or pieces thereof, as if she should have kept it in a jar like fireflies.
>Ripley: it was trying to not die
WY: It would have been more profitable if you did.

>Even when she stated how just one of them killed her entire crew
An entire crew of unprepared, unarmed, untrained civilians. With a surprise android sabotaging them a bit.

getting into the situation was inevitable, given WYs meddling

it was their plan to get out that really sucked
>plan to return to ship reliant on bishop, programmed not to use guns, reaching the comms unattacked, would have failed if not for the fact aliens dont bother attacking robots
>locked themselves in with no escape and weld the only entrance, would have been doomed without newt finding a backdoor
>defences relied on a motion scanner, which overlooked the ventilation ducts and floor boards, didn't even think that vent infiltration was possible despite newt using them to get around
>had no route planned to reach the dropship, were just gonna shoot everything in sight
>locked themselves in with an unstable nuclear reactor, if bishop was delayed for any reason they would have all exploded

Technical manual suggests they're fluorine-based.

Attached: atm-01.png (1352x1614, 3.37M)

Well that's some spectacular bollocks they've got there. Probably best not to put too much stock in it. But as reactive as the blood is shown to be, most nerve agents will probably have its molecules ripped apart the instant they enter the alien bodies.

Prior combat drop was probably FOB tier

You also unintentionally brought up a strong point against Xenomorphs being fluorine based. Fluorine vapor is extremely toxic and a good huff of Xenomorph fumes would be sufficient to kill a human in minutes, it's reaction with calcium and magnesium in the body results in hypocalcemia leading to heart failure. If Xenos were fluorine based, every character who's in the same room with a bleeding Xeno should have fallen dealthy ill within a few minutes to like half an hour after exposure to the fumes.

WeyYu cuck spotted

>Technical manual

based tech manual poster

You corp commies can cry all you want.

You sent an HK Marine unit on a BUG hunt.
Everyone knows its a BUG hunt.
Its R&D that issued Carter Burke with SECRET ORDERS.

OP asked a question about what would you do.
(every fucking sperg seems to have ignored the original topic)

>What would you have done in his shoes?

You niggers ..cannot...read

>I suspect (in hindsight), the Xenomorphs may have ignored a drone rolling through the hive, as it could not be a host to breed from.
Maybe, but I always assumed they are like hornets. If something they don't know is in the nest they are going to fuck it up regardless of what it is.

Requisitioned some cheap-ass androids and used them to scout ahead of the main force based on the intel given to me by our consultant. If the hostile lifeform is extremely physically strong and good at stealth then sending a bunch of squishy non-expendable professional muhreens into a tight enclosed space where they can't shoot without nuking themselves would be a terrible idea. I'd also insist on a minimal ground team so that not every person is planetside with nobody left aboard the ship.

this , send a drone in first.
>the Xenomorphs may have ignored a drone rolling through the hive
But when you start seeing slimy muck on the walls, you know you have problems.

I would have had the drop ship loiter or left a detail with it if that wasn't possible.
Also, sending the men into the hive without know what was going on was dumb.
Losing the APC was forced as hell.

As soon as it was pointed out that all conventional firearms were of no use and the only armament that was an option was flamers (which are predominantly support/defensive) I would have pulled the team back to the APC to regroup and reevaluate the mission. i. e. send paul reiser inside in a bunny suit unarmed.

First thing, I would of noticed that we got half of all crew and marines we needed. Left a small detail on the drop ship as a QRF/Evac team and not have the drop ship sit. Sent a fireteam into the reactor while fortifying operations better. Pull out if said fireteam gets merced on camera by xenos. Evac back to the ship. Call mayday and request reinforcements and wait then clear that god damn planet with multiple companies of marines. Probaly die when a predator ship comes and nukes me out of orbit just like colonial marines.

Might be that there were other "aliens" out there, basic fauna in other words, so it would have sounded like Ripley's crew got murdered by a single feral hog, little realising that LV426 had 30-50 deviously intelligent xenomorphs that appear within 3-5 minutes of the marines landing in the colony.

>Could the Marines be saved and complete the mission without destroying the entire facility?
If I remember right the facility only received critical damage from the dropship that crashed because the xenomorph attacked the pilot, if you can keep the xenomorph from boarding the dropship the facility and the extraction plan are both intact

If you enter the nest to search for other survivors you're likely to take casualties no matter what.. If you knew how these aliens reproduced you could write them off as dead and stay out completely.

But as to the mission.. Whose mission? The one about searching for colonists or Burke's secret mission?

I'd have likely had Burke shot as being literally too dangerous to keep alive and for keeping pertinent information to himself that got people under my command killed needlessly, but could the Weyland-Yutani android be fully trusted either? Likely have to disable him before going under for travel back.

Do I really have interest in bringing the facehuggers found in the lab on board Sulaco? I guess they are safe enough to transport if you put some effort into it but Ripley joined on the condition all the aliens found would be killed so those are the official orders, right?

Evacuate the single alive survivor found, leave LV-426 without bothering to try to kill all the xenomorphs as they seem not to be tool users and unlikely to escape the planet on their own, the expedition was understrength in comparison to enemy, the initial contact caused heavy casualties and our kits are for the wrong task in another environment

Head back to earth and report up your own command what actually happened, Burke's orders were not your orders given to you from within your own chain of command. If choose to bring the facehuggers turn them over to government instead of Weyland-Yutani.

Attached: UD-4L Cheyenne Dropship aliens dropship.jpg (1567x867, 1.02M)