My son told me he's interested in learning to shoot...

My son told me he's interested in learning to shoot. As a current noguns who's shot a few times before and has been considering it for myself recently, I'm looking for recommendations on what to get him to start off with. A Ruger 10/22 was suggested previously and that seems like a good start, but I was also looking for a good handgun recommendation for him as well. He's 11 years old, about 5', I think a compact would work better for him but I defer to Jow Forums's knowledge as always. Thanks in advance.

Attached: Screenshot_20190923-145913_Chrome.jpg (931x650, 203K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oZaxay1eXks
youtube.com/watch?v=tnfkCFnaUZg
youtube.com/watch?v=sruOplt19hw
ruger.com/products/wrangler/specSheets/2003.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>AQUIRE LUGER THE NUMBERS DAMAND IT user

.22lr pistol, like a Ruger MKIV. Ammo is cheap MKIV is reliable, and you don’t have to worry about buying different ammo if you already have a 10/22.

Ruger Bearcat

Attached: 1961-Ruger-Bearcat-with-Box-and-Holster_100935824_70986_B04A5B99B062B886.jpg (2048x1536, 505K)

New: Mark 4 new ruger wrangler bearcat. Browning buckmark. Used: Any target 22lr pistol if you can find a deal on them.

Is there any type of advantage to having him start with a revolver like the Bearcat as opposed to something like the Buckmark?

Not really. The Buckmark would be a good choice.

He could break his thumbs when the slide goes back on a semi auto if he doesn't have the good sense to keep his digits where they should be. With a revolver that's not an issue, plus it fires slower and requires him to manually pull back the hammer so it will encourage him to aim rather than just rattling off shots which will also save money on ammo.

BTW, you should lead by an example. Quit being a weak beta faggot and become proficient with guns yourself. You should know enough to protect your family. It's sad that your son has more sense than you.

I think it's disgusting that you're exposing your child to firearms at such an early age. Do you really think this is a healthy hobby? Never mind the lead exposure, hearing loss, and social isolation that this will yield. You do realize that the sole purpose of these "tools" (on a side note, you ever notice how pro-gunners try to prescribe laughably benign words to describe guns? "Neutralize the threat" is my favorite one) is to kill people? It's to end a life. That is the only purpose. Your desire to impose this ludicrous hobby on a child reminds me of how Al Qaeda and the Cartel desensitize children by making them commit otherwise traumatic events at a very young age. Hardens them up a bit for when they are adults.

With that being said, the Ruger 10/22 is a really good place to start in terms of rifles. I would also recommend any pistol that shoots in 22LR. One cool thing about this particular caliber that I learned recently is it grants you access to way more shooting ranges. These air gun facilities are actually somewhat hybrid these days and allow for 22LR shooters to use them as well. Pretty cool

Blow me. I already said it was something I had in the works.

youtube.com/watch?v=oZaxay1eXks

Attached: Ruger SP101 22LR.jpg (1600x888, 307K)

Attached: Taurus_TX22.jpg (2700x1800, 761K)

>defer to /k's/ knowledge
There may be no hope at all for you.

>first gun advice
Take jr to a local gunstore when it's not going to be busy. Explain to the clerk that you're interested in handling a lot of .22 rifles. Have him heft and aim at a safe place (NOT dry fire) as many used .22s as he can in your price range. Talk with him about what feels good. Then get whichever feels best.

Bait but whatever.
>lead exposure
Don't shoot at a closed and poorly ventilated range, wash your hands with cold water when you get back home, don't fucking swallow bullets or lick those with exposed lead. Very hard to follow, I know.
>hearing loss
Just double up on earpro. Listening to loud music and going to concerts, something that many if not most kids do, is incomparably worse than shooting with earpro.
>social isolation
You're socially isolated because you are an autist with anxiety, not because of your hobbies.
>It's to end a life. That is the only purpose.
No, that is the primary intended purpose. Which is perfectly fine by the way, as there's a number of cases where ending a life is morally justifiable, self-defense being the most obvious one. But any tool can be used for purposes other than the primary one, which in this case in putting holes in paper. You can also develop the same tool for different purposes, since most sporting guns are designed for just that, making holes in paper. I will also remind that there's a huge number of significant technological inventions we enjoy right now that were designed for war. The Internet itself was developed as military communication network at first, then adapted for civilian use. Wars drive technological advancement in general.

I can't read apparently. You did specify .22 handguns. Fit will be all the more important. I'd have a slight preference for a revolver but same advice applies. Handle a bunch in your price range. Dry fire if possible (bring your own .22 snap caps). And get what fits his hand best. What points naturally for him.

Buy a cheap AR 15. It can be a parts kit if you're slightly mechanically inclined or come already built like a S&W M&P Sport or whatever. Get the .22 pistol and possibly rifle too, but absolutely buy an AR. Here's why:
1. They're likely to be restricted before your son, who has expressed an interest in shooting at an early age, is old enough to buy one for himself.
2. They are very, very, very easy to use. Correcting malfunctions, assembly and disassembly, and handling are all fantastic. This is by design, of course.
3. Ammo is relatively cheap. You can order bulk Russian steel cased .223 for like 17 cents a round. Nowhere near as cheap as .22, of course, but you still aren't shooting dollar bills.
4. They're useful as a home defense firearm.
5. He will never outgrow it. Firearms aren't a ladder and .22 isn't at the bottom, but if all he has is a .22 he's eventually going to want something more capable. Lots of people prefer other things, but right now ARs are the pinnacle of individually carried weapons and the most versatile option.
6. He can look at it and remember you when he's in the trenches fighting the Californian Golden Horde in the Second Civil War, long after you're dead.
7. ARs were as cheap as they've ever been about 6 months ago and have been steadily rising in price. The political establishment desperately wants to ban them. They are going to continue to rise in price.

Have you ever seen those old catalogs where you could order a milsurp full auto crew served machine gun for pretty cheap? Or a tommy gun or whatever? Or even crates of $60 Mosins? We have entire threads of people looking at those and fantasizing about how cool it would be if they could have that shit at that price, or if their dad bought them a full auto Mac 10 before they were born or something. We live in that time, but with ARs. Fucking get one.

Also, seconding the Ruger Mk IV recommendation. Don't get an SR22 if you're thinking about that, the trigger is bad.

>son
user, how does one acquire mate to breed a son?

Buy him a 3D printer, a copy of the Turner Diaries, and an eBay gift card. He'll sort himself out, m8.

> not talking to the autistic virgin grill sitting alone in the cafeteria.

Life's hard when you make it hard.

i used to sit alone and girls would approach me either because they felt bad or thought i was mysterious. i always turned them down, sometimes ignoring them completely until they left. wtf is wrong with me?

>a good handgun recommendation
Walther P22
Ruger SR22
Pick one and you're done.

Ruger 10/22 and Ruger Mark IV are solid starts. 22lr is cheap and easy to practice with. Buy an AR parts kit and put it together with your son later and do all the fatherhood bonding shit you never had OP.

You're vastly overblowing it, user. First handgun I learned to shoot was a Glock 17, second was a USP 45. Got scared from recoil, put my thumbs in a weird position. Cut the fuck out of em, no breakage. Put a bandaid on them and cleaned blood off the USP.

Could you have picked anything shittier? Jesus.

I still love my p22, but most important is ergonomics.
find a pistol that suits you both.
if you guys aren't into single action more manual revolvers, you could spring for a double action .22 revolver.
self loading pistols are fun as well, I just prefer fore manual actions.
a 10/22 will be a good place to start, but a 410 or 28 gauge shotgun might be fun too.
busting clays is a ton of fun and shotties pack more of a punch than .22s and have some nice ammo variety.
a .223 rifle wont kick too much if you want to go that route too. call me lord fudd, but I ld rather a mini-14 than ar15, but a cheap PSA or m&p 15 fed with steel ammo is a nice cheap option too.
kids and women also love M1 carbines, nice and light and short, but still a ton of fun. 30 carbine isn't that common or cheap tho.

Attached: 1568829324850.gif (595x645, 534K)

I cant recommend a 10/22 takedown enough for a first gun, especially with how easy it makes it to clean, reassemble, and learn. And it will always have a place in your collection as a nice backpack gun/small game gun.

I think a 22 rifle is a good start point. That or a handgun. I'm not normally one to suggest 22s for beginner shooters, but he's a kid. If he really needs it, a suppressor is a possibility because some kids are very sensitive about noise (unless you live in a faggot marxist state).

>He could break his thumbs when the slide goes back on a semi auto
Not really.
youtube.com/watch?v=tnfkCFnaUZg

Yeah, we've all had slide bite when we started out. I got it from an M1911.

But if an 11 year old puts his thumb on the back of a Ruger Mark IV hammer and pulls the trigger he's gonna fuck up his thumbs, maybe it won't break them but it could definitely tear a ligament. If I'm recommending a first gun for an adult then I figure you need to smart enough to know how the action works and if you wreck yourself its your own damned fault. But if I'm recommending a gun for an 11 year old then I'm inclined to be cautious and recommend something more fool proof like a revolver.

Attached: Children and Guns.jpg (835x635, 159K)

forgot to add, an adler 410 lever action or Mossberg 505 410 pump might be nice starting points. a 410 circuit judge might be neat too, but I haven't looked into those as much personally.

>But if an 11 year old puts his thumb on the back of a Ruger Mark IV hammer and pulls the trigger he's gonna fuck up his thumbs, maybe it won't break them but it could definitely tear a ligament.
Probably not. I don't even get why you would consider this that much a big deal. Just show the kid how to hold the gun correctly first, don't let him shoot until he demonstrates that he can hold it properly, he will have little to no reason to start changing his grip to something retarded. We are talking about a 10 years old kid, not an infant.

if a bearcat or frontier is too pricey, there is the option of the rough rider.
youtube.com/watch?v=sruOplt19hw

Ask your wifes son's father to take him shooting, you are to beta I can tell.

First of all is your son an incel?

Part 2 to this, but before you look at prices on some ARs and think they're too expensive, you can buy a PSA rifle kit for $300 and a lower from them for $50 and have everything other than a rear iron sight ($36 for a Ruger or Magpul rear sight from the respective company on Amazon) and they're very simple to put together. If you want to go even cheaper you can put a rifle together for under $300, but the quality may be dubious. PSA is widely regarded as "good enough" other than occasional spotty QC that they save on by offering a lifetime warranty instead. Watch reviews on youtube before you buy things, AKOU is bretty gud.

Your son will be very grateful in the future if you get him an AR. It doesn't actually strictly have to be an AR, any semi auto rifle firing an intermediate rifle cartridge would be great, but none of the other options make sense for any reason other than personal taste. You could do like and get an M1 Carbine or a Mini-14 or an AK or whatever, but you'd spend a lot more money.

The trigger on a pistol is really important when you're just starting to learn, the Ruger Mark series has such a better trigger than the SR22. I have an SR22 and I like it, but the trigger is just plain bad.

This is a cool idea too, but if you do a shotgun get him a 20 gauge, it's way cheaper than .410 and he's 5' tall, he'll be fine.

checked
and ruger is also making a nice entry level revolver too
ruger.com/products/wrangler/specSheets/2003.html

It's called severe retardation.

I don't consider it a big deal. Dude asked...

>Is there any type of advantage to having him start with a revolver like the Bearcat as opposed to something like the Buckmark?

So I answered his question. I think teaching a kid to shoot a Ruger Mark IV would be fine but semi autos have rapidly moving parts that can cause injuries if you're irresponsible, revolvers don't. Its his place to decide if he thinks that matters or not.

Attached: Firecracker.webm (500x372, 2.75M)

>11 year old learning to shoot
>Buy a cheap AR 15

Attached: Incredulous sexy_beast.jpg (270x203, 14K)

>but if you do a shotgun get him a 20 gauge
youre right, and hell also grow into it
had one of these with the compact youth barrel in 20, and it was nice, but it was a bit too light and I like wood and metal cause they eat the recoil better

Attached: nova.jpg (1268x319, 26K)

I've shot 9mm glocks and ARs as a 12 year old. What's the issue here? They are rather low recoil and 11 year olds shouldn't have much problems handling them properly.

I just recommend 22lr or 20 guage.
And nothing easy to conceal, kids can be dumb and the harder it is for him to hide a gun, the more you can trust him not to take one to school, I guess.

That being said, make sure the first thing you teach him aside from respecting the firearms as potentially lethal tools is that he shouldn't discuss is possession or activities with firearms with his friends, classmates or teachers. It should be on a need to know basis. You child shouldn't advertise that you keep firearms. You never know who's a fucking nutcase and will report you to CPS (I don't care if you live in the reddest part of Oklahoma or whatever, this can happen anywhere) or who's dad or brother is a fucking junkie and will break into your house to take your shit.

Good luck OP, my dad taught me to shoot with a 10/22 when I was four years old and its still a fun rifle to use. Pic only semi related, I don't have any pics of a 10/22

Attached: High-Standard Double Nine Natchez. 9 shot .22LR.jpg (1632x838, 737K)

Girl at my buddy's youth group in high school liked me. We went out and have been together ever since.

I already went over trigger discipline, pointing/aiming rules, how the gun is not a toy, etc. I haven't discussed keeping quiet about it in class yet but I live in a somewhat conservative/blue collar area. He also knows that this isn't 100% guaranteed since I told him I want to see how he does in school for a little bit this year.

I just got a ruger wrangler, it's a great fun little gun and super affordable. Their higher end single action revolvers are nice, but if it's a starter gun the wrangler might be a better choice. The finish is super tough and it shoots great. The sights aren't adjustable, but if he's just learning that might be a bonus.

I have a Browning 1911 .380 to teach people to shoot with because generic 1911 controls are basically universal now. A .22 pistol is your best bet. Heritage Arms Rough Riders are great if you want a revolver, and Walther P22s are good if you want a semi auto. Alternatively, Ruger Standard Series pistols are .22 and highly customizable, and I love me Walther SP22.

I bought a 22 rifle and scope for my 8 year old. He digs it as much as I did at that age. Thinking of buying an ar10 for both of us to shoot (besides a shotgun I am nogunz). Too much?

If it helps he's a big bastard for his age, he's the size of a 11 or 12 year old in height. Me I'm a 6-3 fat bastard so no worries there. Opinions? Never shot an ar10 is the kick that bad?

Seconding the Buckmark, my dad has one and it's very accurate and has a decent trigger.

That'd be fine. The kick is not bad at all, really not much more than an AR15. I can magdump one and it feels like basically nothing. I'm 5'9", 145 pounds, athletic rather than skinnyfat. Your son will probably be my size in like 6 years. Do it.

But 6 years is a long time. I don't want to get something selfishly more for me that ends up making him gunshy. He's just outgrown the 22 and I'd like something we both could enjoy. He's 5-1 and I think maybe 95 lbs. I have shot an ar15 and the recoil was like nothing but I want something different if we're both going to shoot it. Thanks for advice.

You are homosex.

If you think he'll enjoy shooting prone, the AR10 will be fine. Otherwise I'd do something more AR15 sized. I don't think the recoil on an AR10 would bother even a 95 pound child, but I don't think he would be able to lift it for long enough to have fun shooting it standing or kneeling, that's really all I'd be worried about.

Range has a nice bench and he loves it for his 22 when he goes accuracy mode so I think that would work for just the weight aspect. Thanks for the advice again. There's no rental places nearby so that's why I ask.

Attached: Screenshot_20190923-195911.png (2048x1337, 1.61M)

You should really start him off with a Mosin Nagant 91/30, it will make him strong and really punch home how important it is to learn the basics.

You don't want him to grow up to be SUCH A CHEETAH!

Attached: koilikov.png (328x329, 217K)

Make sure he doesn't post anything about it on social media before the two of you get fucked for no reason. If you're getting a 10/22 get a 22lr pistol as well. One stop ammo shop, low power, and low chance of accidentally destroying your house and each other while you learn

Attached: 1563138947439m.jpg (1024x542, 74K)

>My son told me he's interested in learning to shoot
good
>Ruger 10/22 was suggested previously and that seems like a good start
also good
>I think a compact would work better for him but I defer to Jow Forums's knowledge as always
bad unless youre talking about a 22lr one. The lighter a gun is, the more felt recoil it will have and it goes up dramatically. The shorter the "sight radius" the less accurate the human will probably be.
Do a mk iv with the skinny grip or one of those heritage 22lr revolvers if you want to start cheap.

Also, get good on clearing malfunctions. It's part of shooting a 22lr but it's the best place to start. Youtube proper rifle and pistol form.

I’d be hesitant about giving an 11 year old a handgun. It’s super easy to sweep someone compared to a rifle

No problem, I wish I got to shoot an AR10 as a little kid. Or anything, really.

based papa Koilikov

I was talking about a .22, didn't clarify that.

Based on the recommendations at this point I'm leaning towards the Mk. IV or the Buckmark.

This is the subtle demoralizing shills. Constant seeding the idea that the big bad awb 2 electric boogaloo is inevitable. Don't bother going out and voting guys, muh demographics mean it's inevitable.

>nothing bad will ever happen
>don't prepare
>don't arm yourself

I'm not saying don't buy an AR. I'm saying all this doomer shit is getting old.

They arent doomers. Boogaloo faggots are always zoomers.

TAURUS LOL

My first was a 410 shotgun. Small and lightweight. I now own numerous shotguns, rifle and handguns. Start small and he will grow on his own.

buy him a single barrel shotgun in 20guage
they probably cost next to nothing.

The wheelgun is like a cowboy guy, might flair his imagination a bit more. Then again a MKIV is a laser gun so I guess still not really.

t. inbred hillbilly

Attached: mah nigga1.jpg (446x336, 26K)

>Bait but whatever.
you could have left it here

Ruger 10/22 and a Mark IV.
Use standard magazines. Kids and large ammo capacity doesn't mix.

>Kids and large ammo capacity doesn't mix.
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Let little Timmy magdump his 10/22 with a BX25. Why not? It's not like .22 is expensive.

Because proper shooting techniques are essential. Nobody's impressed by a preteen dumping a 25-round magazine. They're impressed by a preteen making 2-inch groupings at 100 yards.
You wanna let him do something like that? Put 25 2-liters out and give him a single mag, and a dime for each he hits and double the reward if he gets them all.

Make him load his own mags. He'll magdump once or twice for fun and then slow down because loading BX25s is a bitch. There's no reason to be a fuddy NO FUN ALLOWED boomer about it.

This. I think a better option, if he absolutely has to have a pistol, is to buy one for yourself and let him try it under strict supervision.

Like I said: make a challenge out of it that makes hitting your targets more desirable than just burning through your ammo. My old man would make bets with me over who could hit a paper plate 50 yards out.
When he can shoot properly, then get him the AR-15, a dozen 30-round mags, and a loading assist.

There was a guy in my art class that made his kids memorize the four rules and know how to field strip their rifles before they ever got to shoot them.

if i had a kid that age I'd get them a 10/22 takedown and a ham radio license + a baofeng uv-5r

A .22 is definitely the best way to go. I would work on rifles for a while before moving up to handguns. Even a single shot rifle would be good. You'll want him to be paying attention to his shots and taking it slow. I'd also recommend a bolt action in .243. Not too much for him to handle, still fun for you, and you can kill a deer/varmints with it if need be. Also the ammo isn't too expensive, since you don't reload.

IVE SHOT WITHOUT EARPRO SINCE I WAS 4 AND I CAN HEAR JUST FINE

Retarded. If hes dumb enough to thumb the slide, hes just as likely to teacup the cylinder

Loading only x amount of shots and being sble to verify. Less chance of malfunction such as slide getting stuck. If you get a mark 3 you will hate your life trying to disasemble and reassemble. Easier to clean. Inexpensive at 200$ or less

Not sure about this kid or any other kids in general, but when i was small occasionally getting to fire off one of my old mans 'big guns' was always a treat to look forward to

Thats why i recommended a sa revolver. If handgun.
Easier to check how much ammos loaded. More intercate manipulations to load unload and easier to watch for safety

Don't start with handguns.
Start with a breach loading hunting rifle. Specifics aren't important.
>They're heavy. Builds arm strength, and makes whole thing seem more serious.
>They shoot well.
>Easy to maintain.
>Good way to teach about gun safety principles, how to handle the thing, and proper practice.
>Not nearly as dangerous because single shot breach loader can only discharge once from a misplaced finger. Also can't be stuck in pants or handled like seen on tv, because it's too long and heavy, so if it does go off, it won't hit him.
>Can't be fucked around with so easily like a handgun. You will notice if he's being a dick.

Once he's competent with how to use a rifle, be safe, smart and diligent, then feel free to move on to stuff capable of semi automatic fire.

Only after he's truly safe, doesn't have any notions of action hero moments, then let him handle a handgun.
Handguns are seriously easy to fuck around with and shoot yourself accidentally, despite what everyone likes to say. Where I'm from, you have to get a special licence on top of a gun license to own one.
You don't know anything about guns and gun practice, and this is not the best site to go on for advice if you're starting out.

Literally nothing wrong with Taurus' new handguns. Name one with proof.