Boxing/fighting

I'm gonna get into boxing in a couple weeks what should I expect? I think it will help with my confidence a lot and with my anger issues instead of just keeping it inside. I've been in a couple fights but they've all been broken up pretty quickly and only a few punches were exchanged. I'm 5'10 160lbs and a little skinny fat but my arms are pretty muscular because I mostly work that area so I think it will help lean me out a lot too and I know I'll have to work on my cardio a lot. I fight southpaw even though I'm right handed so will that be an issue while training?

Attached: DJ5ocwzW4AEVgI5.jpg (1200x823, 148K)

Anyone ever been a boxer or done any mma?

Your first 6 months or so will just be learning the proper forms and getting your conditioning up to proper levels. Then you'll likely work on your footwork for a while. But don't expect to spar with someone for a long while, it's a lot of bag and glove training from what I remember. I did more thai boxing than american boxing, but I'm sure the basics are similar.

I got a bag at home but I guess I need to be conditioned for a real fight. I would like some light sparring so I can get a feel for it plus I think I'd learn a lot faster that way. I don't mind getting beat up or the pain as long as I'm learning.

I'd really like to know also boxing looks fun

Easy tiger. Like I said, there won't be any sparring to begin with. You need the proper forms for the punches and develop muscle memory for the moves. And learning footwork and ring control also needs to come before real sparring. But, it's fun anyway. For me, after about a year, I was ready to apply for my amateur fight license and start doing some smokers at the gym. Soon after, I got hurt and that put an end to things, but that was the timeframes.

you wont spar for first few months

expect to be challenged, like, really challenged, few other sports are so conditionaly demanding

be prepared to run, no avoiding that

after you began sparring your life will literaly be blood, sweat and tears, every sport says that but its true to boxing

>is it worth it?
>hell fucking yeah

Yeah you're right, I need to remember it's sport and not just about beating the shit out of eachother. Has your boxing skills ever come up in a street fight?

i had to quit too, fucking elbow joint got ruined, havent properly trained in years

miss it, especially since i became fat lazy fuck cuz other forms of exercise are boring

Just remember to respect your adversaries.

>Has your boxing skills ever come up in a street fight?
Are you kidding? In my neighborhood, I get attacked by roaming teams of deadly ninjas on a daily basis. So, the answer is obviously no. Not even once. Never even came close to it. It was fun to feel the adrenaline and testosterone flowing through me, for sure, and I felt like a literal stick of dynamite some days. But, honestly, I've never even SEEN a fight happen aside from on the playground at elementary school. To me, it's just in the movies.

Ouch. For me, it was the tendon that ran along the bottom of my foot. I didn't know it then, but I have really short tendons and all the bouncing around on the toes didn't help it. So I went to throw a kick and tweaked that really good. Didn't tear it, but I couldn't even walk for a week. And, like you, exercise was boring, so I started doing the "12 oz bicep curls" instead.

l'll keep that in mind I just hope my social anxiety doesn't get in the way of showing up or doing well. My anxiety always fades away in an actual fight but the other aspects I hope improve after going and training.

I always think I'm going to be attacked and living here it isn't unlikely to get into a street fight even though it's much more likely to get robbed with a weapon. I still think boxing will give me an edge on someone who tries to attack me without a weapon, plus I've always liked boxing over other martial arts and it looks like a lot of fun.

Oh for sure, boxing definitely will be giving you an edge. But, for weapons, honestly, just hand over your wallet, don't be a hero.

Quick story: A trainer at my old gym actually tried to stop this car thief from stealing his car. He ran out there and, boom, shot dead. This stuff doesn't make you THAT tough, it's just for fun and exercise.

If you have anger issues stay out of boxing. Faggots like you is why I don't do striking anymore.

>Be me
>Started boxing two months ago
>Trained five days out of seven for 2.5-3hours everyday
>Did personal training every Saturday (mostly Calisthenics,running,climbing stairs,shadow boxing and some weightlifting)
>Started doing some very light sparring one month ago
>Bleed a bit from the nose
>Same happened two weeks ago
This sport is pretty tough,I'm 1.78-1.80m and I should weigh around 85kg circa.
The mister said that'll train for this whole year and then I'll start fighting
>Mfw I'm only 19 years old

Attached: 1527019814202.jpg (208x242, 7K)

Boxing is a blast. I've only ever met really nice people boxing, it's really good for your fitness, and it feels good knowing you can throw a punch right.

I made a thread sometime last year about how I'd been bullied all my life and how I was tired of it and wanted to join a boxing gym. Ever since then, there have been numerous threads about anons joining boxing gyms.

Attached: 1CF7E214-F77A-4F4D-8EA2-F527B98D12EC.jpg (741x1017, 160K)

It's amazing to me that some people leave school and never see a fight again. Violence is a constant part of my life. No I'm not in the ghetto, no I'm not a minority, I just live in a place where fighting is seen as an acceptable way to solve your problems. It's the main reason I started boxing, because people fighting isn't some Hollywood moment where I live.

Wow, I'm not sure what to say to that, then. Where the heck do you live?

>Maybe I'm WAY more upper-crust bourgeois than I think! *adjusts monocle and top hat*

you'll probably quit in a couple of months

Attached: 1517894831268.jpg (853x1280, 125K)

>Don't do boxing because your brain will be damaged
Also
>Smoking is cool,nothing wrong with weed,alcohol and coffe
Why are some anons so retarded?(Not talking about you)

>Resolving questions with violence is accepted where I live
Spotted the nigger

The South. Once you get outside big city centers, the people start to get a little less progressive and hipster-ish and a bit more "Them's is fightin' words"-ish.
Reread my post you fucking retard.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!
I thought this thread died I'm happy to see it's still up.

Oh and everybody sort of knows you'll quit, and that's how it'll be. Your coaches will focus on their boxers, and you'll be a part of the boxing class. You'll spend hours each day doing the exact same thing, practicing your form, your foot work, implementing everything and building your own rhythm. Once you're done hitting the heavy bag you'll go out and test your cardio for an hour. Then you'll go to the speed bags and work on that for a couple of minutes then train abs for another 30 minutes. You'll continue practicing your form and breaking your hands on the heavy bag and by the forth week you'll have your first sparring session. Where you will get schooled by a far superior boxer than you, and it'll be back to the heavy bag. You'll continue doing this for the next four months. Eventually you'll be put in a match with someone who've you been training for with a while, and you'll both want to prove yourself to your coaches and end up doing heavy sparring in which someone might end up with their nose bleeding. You'll step out of the ring and wonder what you're doing here and then go back to the punching bag. Your coaches will continue pushing you causing you to have mild heat strokes and make you vomit the water you just drank. Then after another day and returning to your house at night you'll contemplate quitting and then the next day you wont show up.

That's what 90% of the trainees in my gym do.

Where are you from? I'm OP and I'm from VA in newport news.

Damn, Newport News? I'm not OP, I'm the one with the torn foot and am in VA Beach.

I seem to meet a lot of Hampton Roads people on Jow Forums

Sounds like fun plus I need a workout not like I'm doing anything better in my free time. Just sounds like the struggle you have to overcome to become a superior fighter.

Not OP but I've been thinking about trying boxing too, guess I'm not anymore.
That sounds downright awful.

I want to get into boxing but i have a big nose. Can an experienced boxer tell me if there is any hope for me?

Yeah my family is from PA but decided to raise me in newport news. Wouldn't recommend raising a kid here even though work is good because of the shipyard and if you go downtown that's where your gang culture is at and the public schools are tough if you're not a hoodrat. What's it like there?

Texas, the DFW area. Go a few miles south or east outside of Dallas and you'll run into angry, aggressive people of all races who live in the woods and do nothing but fight, fuck and drink for fun.

I heard Texas can be rough and it has some bad neighborhoods. The stereotype that it's a bunch of funny white farmers isn't true at all.

Yeah last time I almost got into a fight, I was in some little hick town outside of Fort Worth called Alvarado. I went into a gas station with my music a little too loud and the lyrics were a bit explicit. Some fucking redneck came up to my car and told me to turn it down because his kids were there. I apologized and turned it down but he wouldn't fucking leave me alone and kept threatening to kick my ass. Time before that, I was leaving a Tejano bar in a town south of Dallas and on my way to my car, I accidentally bumped into some drunk 20-something-year-old Mexican guy. The only reason we didn't end up fighting is because his gf was there to stop him.

Last year, I would've been scared to death in situations like these and would've humiliated myself to get out of them. Now, I can calmly apologize and try to diffuse the situation, knowing that if it gets violent, I'll be able to handle myself.

Attached: 66DC095B-4CF5-4F11-AF54-B2EB19B9A14C.jpg (594x541, 74K)

>Sounds like fun plus I need a workout not like I'm doing anything better in my free time. Just sounds like the struggle you have to overcome to become a superior fighter.

I've heard this like 50 times now. Boxing isn't just a workout routine you do for a pass time. You either do boxing or you don't. You never overcome the struggle things just get harder the more you progress that's how it is. Boxing is the hardest sport you can try to get into.

Also don't ever mention Conor Mcfailure in the gym, and don't ever imply Conor ever had a chance at beating Floyd. Everyone will think you're a dumbass, and lose all respect they had for you as their student

Attached: download (16).jpg (300x168, 4K)

I'm gonna try it regardless of what you say, I know it's difficult I literally don't do anything else in my free time. Also Connor is hilarious because he makes people irrationally angry.

Yikes good luck dweeb

You seem quite jaded. There's a difference between being realistic to the difficulty and trying to turn people off from boxing altogether. Almost everyone knows boxing is extremely difficult but that doesn't stop them from working at it to become better.

Why is everyone trying to put this guy down? What the actual fuck

If you want to do it just do it OP, if you do end up giving up at least you tried.

Because Jow Forums is full of pussies who don't want anyone to even think about succeeding at anything they couldn't succeed at.

I'm not scared to fight but I'm afraid of the shame of losing and looking like less of a man. I don't go out looking for fights but I want to be able to beat the shit out of someone if I have to.

I hate little fag boys who think they can fight. They're so pathetic. We've been training for years some even decades and then tards role up to the gym wanting to be the next boxing legend. Get the fuck out of here I bet some of the 12 year olds can knock those dudes out.

How they stand is cringy, how they punch is cringy, how they talk is cringy. There's just nothing good to come out of this. Coaches just do it to supplement their income from the delusional dreamers

Attached: 42.png (300x300, 122K)

I'm not looking to become the best, smug anime girl. I know you're trolling at this point but if you want to bump the thread be my guest.

I thought people went to a gym to improve?

yea i'm just fucking around. lol As long as you're cool some pros we'll come and give you some pointers etc.

>who think they can fight
If they thought they could fight, they wouldn't go to a gym to learn how to fight dumbass.

It's all pretty nice, meng.

That's where you're wrong, kiddo. You go to the gym once you already know how to box.

Attached: smug Aisha.png (597x449, 343K)