Why are American cartoons so fucking ugly compared to Japanese ones?

Alexander Reed
Alexander Reed

Attached: file.png (859 KB, 640x885)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uETC_qoqq_E

James Walker
James Walker

I honestly can't believe something that looks like a flash animation I made in 9th grade is an actual show

Camden Evans
Camden Evans

Low effort, bad schools, no taste

Nathaniel Allen
Nathaniel Allen

why are they all standing like that?

have they pissed themselves?

Lincoln Lee
Lincoln Lee

well for one you posted moe which is homogenized and formulated to be cute. another reason is there are a lo more anime than cartoons.

Daniel Hernandez
Daniel Hernandez

Because American cartoons value good writing over spending millions to painstakingly animate hundreds of girls with the same face

Attached: YSIHTwk.jpg (268 KB, 1365x1586)

Henry Lopez
Henry Lopez

Flash
That's the only thing

Lincoln Turner
Lincoln Turner

Why are American video games so fucking ugly compared to Japanese ones?

Attached: file.png (1.6 MB, 1080x1110)

Logan Sullivan
Logan Sullivan

Jews thats why. Anyone who still watches tv are the lowest of the low denominator pay pig and will take that shit or children which they are also targeting.

Kevin Gonzalez
Kevin Gonzalez

Because American cartoons value good writing
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Brayden King
Brayden King

Mugi is so damn adoreable. I want to eat that cupcake.

Liam Lee
Liam Lee

Good animation isn't something that shouldn't be prioritized. A good script is all the better when it's coupled with beautiful animation.

Oliver Howard
Oliver Howard

Because waito piggu americans can't into cute

Attached: 14150940.png (66 KB, 500x314)

Angel White
Angel White

Get the nip cum out of your eyes faggot. Anime is an abomination. Even the ugliest of western styles is joy to watch compared to alien bug person show.

Blake Phillips
Blake Phillips

Japan hasn't put out anything well-animated or well-written in years.

Attached: 1483335586496.jpg (1.02 MB, 2504x2680)

Oliver Walker
Oliver Walker

Both are absolute trash. At least pick a proper scale when doing these sort of comparisons.

David Thomas
David Thomas

Even the ugliest of western styles is joy to watch compared to alien bug person show.

Attached: file.png (144 KB, 500x248)

Adrian Campbell
Adrian Campbell

Realism vs Japanese anime aesthetic

Adam Green
Adam Green

Watch The Garden of Words for the animation.
Watch Made in Abyss for the story.
Also, what are some well animated or written american cartoons?

Bentley Morgan
Bentley Morgan

american cartoons
well-written

Brayden Turner
Brayden Turner

lmao I wish I knew as well, this is a really good question. Maybe its the social justice mentallity and by making cartoon characters look nice and cute it makes people feel bad or left out? Like I literally watch anime because I want to escape my ugly dull world and American cartoon characters like the one OP posted just remind me of the amerimutt meme. Sucks.

Attached: 63892-Anime-Anime---K-on-Wallpaper.jpg (309 KB, 1600x1000)

Gabriel Nguyen
Gabriel Nguyen

Artistic Direction vs Autistic Direction

Robert Turner
Robert Turner

Because portraying beautiful females in media is sexist according to Western academia

Christopher Rodriguez
Christopher Rodriguez

Samurai Jack, The Simpsons, Avatar, Archer, King of the Hill, Ren & Stimpy, courage the cowardly dog, the venture brothers, Adventure Time, Flapjack, aqua teen hunger force, birdman: attorney at law

Parker Carter
Parker Carter

Do you want an actual answer or do you want an edgy 4chin answer. Because I actually do know the reason and it has to do with how American society views the world and how the Japanese view the world. I can give a massive explanation if you want if you want me to go into detail.

Connor Sanders
Connor Sanders

implying 99% of anime doesn't look the same

im having a laff over here, famioli

Gabriel Bennett
Gabriel Bennett

Not OP but I'm curious, go ahead

Hunter Anderson
Hunter Anderson

yeah it all looks the same

Attached: trT6xkm.jpg (641 KB, 2417x1984)

Jonathan Smith
Jonathan Smith

draw like shit
"duh its meant to be ugly, its symbolic"
just like modern arts

Christian Jenkins
Christian Jenkins

every time i see that cartoon on the bottom pop up on my netflix screen (which it does with surprising regularity) I wonder who the fuck would ever see those characters and think "that is probably a show worth watching." How do you look at something like that and not try to get it off the screen as fast as possible. just... the eyes, the proportions, those stupid grins, the lips, eyebrows, it's all off. just produces a feeling of utter disgust in me. not even sure why. i want to have whoever designed those characters shot. i know nothing about the show but it has got to be like one of those things where the characters exist just to suffer, and the show exists just to make us feel good about them suffering... right?

Jeremiah Flores
Jeremiah Flores

Give us the non-meme answer for once

Matthew White
Matthew White

"Realism"
Tech is still years away from realistic video game avatars.
Why not just make a seperate art style like japan instead of the gross looking uncanny valley art when its obvious tech-wise we just aren't there yet.

Jonathan Morales
Jonathan Morales

Cherrypicks a few examples of anime with unique styles
Ignores the hundreds and hundreds of anime that all have the same style

Colton Hughes
Colton Hughes

what is madoka

Brandon Anderson
Brandon Anderson

"good" american cartoons
leaves out regular show

Thomas Butler
Thomas Butler

Because the pursuit of perfection cannot be skipped. The idea of only putting out Japanese style designs with video games and never trying to actually pursue realistic art in 3d design, programming, etc. is laughable.

Imagine there being only cave paintings up until the renaissance, that's how retarded you sound.

Alexander Long
Alexander Long

so what difference does it actually make? all western cartoons look the same too, like childish retarded doodles

Nathan Russell
Nathan Russell

those shows don't have progression, except for samurai jack. they're just animated sitcoms

Nicholas Campbell
Nicholas Campbell

because american cartoons are drawn by jews. anime isn't kiked yet that's why.

Bentley Jackson
Bentley Jackson

Samurai Jack, Avatar, Courage, Adventure time and Flapjack are good, but most of the others are just generic 'funny and satirical' shows.

Aaron Moore
Aaron Moore

Madoka
Well written

Attached: d412725c876a83020f8d7f606315c9c5328d158f.jpg (227 KB, 1368x672)

Jaxson Brown
Jaxson Brown

Because Japanese cartoons seek to create an escape from reality, while American ones seek to create a window into it.

Leo Powell
Leo Powell

B-but muh bait-and-switch!

Ayden Baker
Ayden Baker

no progression

Matthew Hughes
Matthew Hughes

the disney animated movies look great though

Treasure Planet for instance

Elijah Hernandez
Elijah Hernandez

left that one out

Easton Clark
Easton Clark

Best post in this thread. Originalli

Gavin Diaz
Gavin Diaz

The Simpsons
KoTH
ATHF
Underage b&

Asher Richardson
Asher Richardson

no """""progression"""""= bad wiriting

Carson Sanchez
Carson Sanchez

I said most of them. But yeah, The Simpsons and King of the Hill are included in that.

Anthony Fisher
Anthony Fisher

Part 1

Now bare with me when I say this because it's going to take a bit. It has to do with Americas sense of Post Modernism. Post Modernism is in American literature, art, film, music, etc. It's cynical and pessimistic in all its forms and it really took off in the United States more so than with other Western nations. Take European literature like Goethe's "Faust," dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment, Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein." They're all use Romanticism, German Expressionism, and Modernism in their story structure. This can even be seen in their art, take Edvard Munch's "The Scream." This is an exceedingly European style of writing which is all but avoided in American styles. European writing is more centered around some outlandish situation or looking at character traits in a person then personifying that trait into something physical. Frankenstein is a perfect example of this since it's literally using German Expressionism. The Creature is literally a physical monster on the outside to reflect something innately wrong with it's creator Victor. Victor Frankenstein being the Creatures creator.

Jayden Peterson
Jayden Peterson

"Realistic" animators have no excuse. This movie came out 19 years ago.

Attached: 12.jpg (33 KB, 619x335)

Jason Richardson
Jason Richardson

Part 2

Americans have a tendency to employ Naturalism and Post Modernism in almost all of their writing, art, or what have you. When I say post modernism I'm mostly talking about the themes and art style. Post modernism is highly cynical and nothing is sacred or considered a no go zone. You can directly talk about sex or insult a certain belief directly without fear of being called out since it's all cynical anyway. Themes of discrimination are massive part of Post Modernism and it can be traced all the way back to post World War II. People were poor and the best type of writing that was being sold was Post Modernist poems and stories to the newly educated Americans. Writers like Hughes and Wright were a big part of these writings.

Americans, with their writing, are much more blunt as compared to the rest of the world. Some would call it tactless but it's just how our nation developed. Japan took inspiration from early European and American films and adapted but stuck with the European sense of Romanticism and Fantasy.

Long story short, Americans are blunt and tactless with their art and writing while the Japanese with their mostly European influence decided to go with Fantasy and Romanticism instead of Post Modernism.

Attached: 1446819041212.jpg (67 KB, 500x495)

Luke Price
Luke Price

You must be Eighteen years old or older to post on Jow Forums.

Joshua Flores
Joshua Flores

The west has always had Disney, so the argument is somewhat invalid. It's mostly a question of budget, target market and audience expectations. Disney's target is whole families, so they have to create art that appeals to everyone. "mature" western cartoons have a small budget and an audience that is there for the humor more than anything else by far, so it makes little sense to spend out the ass on art. Cartoons for kids... well, they'll watch anything really. It's all amazing when you're young and don't know any better.

The real reason why anime has great art, comparted to the average western cartoon: they want the manchild market. You can't draw a waifu poorly or it will no longer be a waifu.

Samuel Roberts
Samuel Roberts

'ayy dude the characters be fat and dumb becuz real lief ppl be fat and dumb too XDDD america bad lol wake up sheeples'

Attached: 1525219161599.png (138 KB, 512x512)

Gavin Scott
Gavin Scott

Post-modernism
It's easy to spot a brainlet trying to sound smart because they use this word as if it means something

Isaac Cooper
Isaac Cooper

That image
This whole post
Jesus. You couldn't be any more of child trying to sound adult.

Lincoln Murphy
Lincoln Murphy

It does, now you can either tell me how I'm wrong or you can just use ad hominem attacks. Either my argument is good or my argument is bad, but the burden of proof is on you to explain how i'm wrong.

Anthony Lopez
Anthony Lopez

damn you're butthurt

Chase Stewart
Chase Stewart

Define post-modernism please.

Dominic Kelly
Dominic Kelly

are these posts post modern?

Jason Gomez
Jason Gomez

Cartoons
There's a reason for that GDP gap
Underrated

Julian Gutierrez
Julian Gutierrez

Not that guy, but basically the Japanese have a culturally ingrained attachment to a purposeful visual "aesthetic." When the country first transitioned from hunter-gatherers to sedentary civilization like 2000 years ago, they adopted a lot of customs from the Chinese, who were already advanced by that time. Broadly, there is a very strong emphasis on "harmony", and one of the ways they build that is by making their environment purposefully beautiful. They refined this concept for hundreds of years and it was never really lost.

Obviously there is tremendous range. But the art of Japan reflects the culture, which has this sensibility throughout it. That's why an anime set in some middle school can have an "aesthetic" quality to it.

Angel Turner
Angel Turner

Postmodernism is a broad movement that developed in the mid- to late-20th century across philosophy, the arts, architecture, and criticism and that marked a departure from modernism. The term has also more generally been applied to the historical era following modernity and the tendencies of this era.

While encompassing a disparate variety of approaches, postmodernism is defined by its rejection of grand narratives/meta-narratives and ideologies. Consequently, common targets of postmodern critique include universalist notions of objective reality, morality, truth, human nature, reason, language, and social progress. Postmodern thinkers frequently call attention to the contingent or socially-conditioned nature of knowledge claims and value systems, situating them as products of particular political, historical, or cultural discourses and hierarchies. Accordingly, postmodern thought is broadly characterized by tendencies to self-referentiality, epistemological and moral relativism, pluralism, subjectivism, and irreverence.

Postmodern critical approaches gained purchase in the 1980s and 1990s, and have been adopted in a variety of academic and theoretical disciplines, including cultural studies, philosophy of science, economics, linguistics, architecture, feminist theory, and literary criticism, as well as art movements in fields such as literature and music.

Leo Roberts
Leo Roberts

Those cartoons are just popular for taking (what was supposed to be) common sense + humor and making dumb people think they're smart for criticizing dumber people, but they're all the same at it's core with just different characters/contexts and slightly different art style.
Prove me wrong.

Juan Kelly
Juan Kelly

I missed my first chance to see this one because I couldn't appreciate it due to how old I was.

Austin Johnson
Austin Johnson

Post your best still of anime and i'll tell you why it's shit.

Lucas Nelson
Lucas Nelson

a pile of shit, that's what Madoka is. I can't believe people put that anime up on a pedestal.

Evan Reyes
Evan Reyes

American animation is ugly, Japanese is bland and predictable. All anime made after the 2000s looks like the same exact fucking thing. I'd much rather watch American cartoons, at least it'll have some weird art style.

William Wright
William Wright

All anime made after the 2000s looks like the same exact fucking thing
wrong tbqh

Dylan Rivera
Dylan Rivera

value good writing
Have you even watched any western cartoon in the past 5-7 year you can even debate they is wasn't good prior to that.

Isaiah Powell
Isaiah Powell

These are children's cartoons made to capture the attention span of a child. You're comparing children's cartoons to something that "adults" watch.

Matthew Sullivan
Matthew Sullivan

Anime is shit. If it's got such good writing/composition prove it.

Chase Gonzalez
Chase Gonzalez

venture bros
no progression
What's wrong with an animated sitcom anyway? When Americans want drama, we go to actual tv shows and movies, not fucking cartoons.

Joseph Stewart
Joseph Stewart

Post something that looks fucking different please. They're all the same show

Juan Watson
Juan Watson

Post something that looks fucking different please.
see

Jeremiah Ross
Jeremiah Ross

making broad, sweeping generalizations about a genre spanning literally thousands of different movies/shows and subgenres all by different writers

Attached: retg.jpg (7 KB, 183x275)

Sebastian Miller
Sebastian Miller

You are wrong
Still waiting for some proof, fampai

Isaac Walker
Isaac Walker

How about you just go jump off a bridge

Colton Martin
Colton Martin

Anime can be pretty nice sometimes but anything without a proper budget is gonna be animated like shit anyway. Also the other problem is with how the anime industry itself is geared where they have a huge reliance on merchandise sales to make back their money. Because of it they usually gotta go with the otaku pandering route with waifus and all that other bullshit. You won't see anime like Texhnolyze again in a long, long time because there simply isn't a market for gritty stuff anymore.

Isaac Johnson
Isaac Johnson

Now bare with me
bare
You lost my attention at the second word.

Brody King
Brody King

imagine being so retarded that you don't know personal taste is subjective

Lucas Bailey
Lucas Bailey

Lupin the 3rd
Cowboy Bebop
Paranoia Agent
Akira
Big O
Sailor Moon
Ghost In The Shell
All made pre 2010s, jackass. This image is fucking stupid. All the anime made after the 2000s looks like the exact same cartoon.

Connor Butler
Connor Butler

To be fair Samurai Jack has only a little progression until the final season.

Brayden Ramirez
Brayden Ramirez

US cartoons hit there peak in the 90s and went to shit after.

Leo Reyes
Leo Reyes

Post proof
You're retarded
Can you post some proof?
You're retarded
Really gets your brain muscle pumping

Attached: Thnook.gif (274 KB, 240x240)

Julian Moore
Julian Moore

please take my kindergarten tier bait it's the best i could possibly do

you're welcome

James Adams
James Adams

So the window into our reality shows it full of reddit and memes?

Attached: 2017.jpg (241 KB, 1500x1500)

Michael Jones
Michael Jones

Bottom two are uncanny valley nightmares.

Jackson Ramirez
Jackson Ramirez

45691691(You)
Ironic

Attached: Honorary(You).jpg (272 KB, 1200x675)

Jace Gutierrez
Jace Gutierrez

Twitter
Angry birds
hashtags
mlp
2000s

Luis Gomez
Luis Gomez

That is such an ad hominem reason to not listen to someone.

Jeremiah Scott
Jeremiah Scott

is this all you wanted? they aren't that hard to get.

maybe if you weren't a NEET you might have some actual currency

Alexander Morris
Alexander Morris

45691759(You)
God I hate summerfags

Landon Hernandez
Landon Hernandez

being so much of an autist you actually value (You)'s to the point of refusing to actually reply to posts

Congratulations, (You) played yourself.

Jayden Green
Jayden Green

lol

I agree tho, bigmouth looks like shit. It makes me angry

Attached: 30080121-1228103887326794-4360783452153315328-n.jpg (61 KB, 640x480)

Jason Hill
Jason Hill

Were you born this year?

Attached: why.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720)

Cooper Sanders
Cooper Sanders

45691794(You)
v& my dude
Delet this

William Baker
William Baker

Anime has declined in quality yes.
But anime is a important development in art history and some of thier paintings deserve to hang in art museums for all time. Also it is really unfair to compare using stills
You never got past stage one anime.
No

David Hughes
David Hughes

Tell me an anime made after 2009 that doesn't look like the faggy moe shit in the OP. Lupin III doesn't fucking count as it was made over half a century ago.

Elijah Nguyen
Elijah Nguyen

He wants to compare anime writing to western writing

Andrew Butler
Andrew Butler

Jewish desire to make everything base and ugly.

Matthew Murphy
Matthew Murphy

sorry i'm just trying to imagine being this autistic

here, want some more?

you're still a hollow shell of a person and a virgin LOL

why dont you go find a girl and show her all of your (You)'s and see if she sucks your dick

Kayden Martinez
Kayden Martinez

These are all 2010s things, not 2000s things. 2000s would be MySpace or mirror selfies with flip phones.

Jaxon Kelly
Jaxon Kelly

Big Mouth HAD to look like shit. It was about 12 year old's genitals, if they made the characters anything more than misshapen and inhuman it would have been veering into animated CP territory.

Mason Myers
Mason Myers

Jap cartoons are writted/produced by actual Japs, not by (((them))).

Jace Ramirez
Jace Ramirez

I hate Big Mouth so goddamn much. It makes me feel ill and angry when I look at the art style. Bob's Burgers also looks shitty but not as much. Seth McFarlane is like one step above that. South Park is meant to look shitty so I can't really fault them. They've improved their style. King of the Hill is the only American cartoon meant for adults that I feel has good animation.

James Hall
James Hall

One Punch Man is the first that comes to mind, but you got a point.

Daniel Edwards
Daniel Edwards

I think the point was to point out the akwardness of puberty
Anime has pretty characters but an ultimately idealised portrayal of teenagehood
The exaggerated grossness has certainly acheived it's goal judging from it's response

John Johnson
John Johnson

implying this hideous thing is worthy of being animated in the first place
name at least 4 ONGOING western animation that is good, other than the one with the orange dog

Lucas Lewis
Lucas Lewis

the Chad japanese
the virgin american style

Samuel Cooper
Samuel Cooper

You forgot avatar. Not a animated show aimed at adults because all of those are cringy anyway, but a kids show with adult themes and watchable at any age. Not Korra, fuck Korra.

Tyler Wilson
Tyler Wilson

I am not sure why you linked me, but that was going to be my next post.
Good anime was usually a manga first, so there was a strong story arc to follow. There are tons of great anime that end after 12 or 22 episodes, they tell a story, you will never hear about thes one offs if you arent in the scene,. Like user said above, 95% of western cartoons, and live shows for that matter, are sitcoms that run for years and every episodes end with the characters being restored to the exact place they were at the beginning.
So yeah, anime writing is generally much better.
And I dont mean the meme anime they show on us TV. And any western cartoons that now have stories were clearly influenced by anime.
why are American cartoons ugly and japanese not
Becuase japan has tons of artists that draw manga for years as a passion. They have a deep bench.
Comkit is huge and a lot of it is self published stuff that only appears once.

Levi Miller
Levi Miller

Low standards from consumers due to public perceptions towards animation as being primarily for children which has also influenced style, the loss of high quality studios and animators due to the advert of computer animation and computer assisted animation, and monetary constraints plus a desire to maximize profit which favors productions which are easiest and fastest to produce.
I have a lot of respect for Warner Bros for still occasionally putting out a decent quality animated movie but even they use a lot of tweening, skimp on frames, and are prone to characters being off model.
Eastern animation isn't perfect, their studios aren't without faults, and the industry there defenitly has problems but there is more artistry there. Anime animators might be worked like slaves but they are still actually animating and the projects follow a more singular vision due to the source material it's author's influence.

Aiden Anderson
Aiden Anderson

That's probably the only thing that i like about anime. The animation and the general look is pretty neat and crisp but gooks can't write for shit. Americans must really have fucked them up cause i have never seen a believable and engaging human interaction portrayed by Japs whether it is anime or video games maybe another nuke will set them straight,

Ryder Sanders
Ryder Sanders

Have any of y'all actually seen big mouth? I went into it expecting it to be terrible and was prepared to laugh at it the whole way through but it turned out to be a pretty good show.
It makes sense the characters are ugly as sin because they're middle schoolers and middle school kids are horrific looking monsters. Think back to how you looked in middle school. You probably looked fucked up too.

Jackson Wood
Jackson Wood

It is a dark time for anime.
The best stuff out in last few years is sports anime, driven story lines, normie male protagonists, funny but serious.

Attached: 7AD1EA13-5031-49E9-BC16-8626E0E1A1AC.jpg (18 KB, 210x240)

Jose Martinez
Jose Martinez

Well, it's true. Majority of western cartoons are comedies

Zachary Butler
Zachary Butler

western animation used to BTFO of anything japan could make. it's sad to see how far western meadia has fallin.

Attached: [email protected] (27 KB, 1280x720)

Jordan Sanchez
Jordan Sanchez

2000s is entire century you dufus

Owen Collins
Owen Collins

Western Cartoons do have more of an effort on the writing rather than the looks. Avatar is the only western animation I can say that had a value on how it looked. Maybe Young Justice.

Also Big Mouth is fucking shit. DUDE PUBERTY LMAO

Jaxon Jackson
Jaxon Jackson

Don't play dumb. When people say 2000s, you know what they mean, moron. 2000-2009. Name something after 2009 that doesn't look exactly like everything else out.

Henry Ramirez
Henry Ramirez

Maybe for movies but even then 2D movie animations were on par with Japanese 2D movie animation.

For movies you're spending millions on 2 hours of animation. Anime stretches out sub million dollar budges over a season of 13-26 episodes.

Hudson Lopez
Hudson Lopez

If you only care for how good a show looks you're a brainless moron who would only watch anything for style. By the way, SOL is for retards
S-she get pat on head cuuute pat pat pat uwu and play BIDEO GAEMS just like me! But she isn't a fat loser.

Attached: 1527364800837.png (283 KB, 512x384)

Leo Gutierrez
Leo Gutierrez

Just Avatar
Megas XLR
Samurai Jack
Teen Titans
That 2011 Thundercats reboot
Off the top of my head

Xavier Wright
Xavier Wright

ugly things are better.
Kill yourself postmodern hipster.

Attached: 28B13BBC-3473-4081-B274-17A508A51EDE.jpg (381 KB, 903x994)

Oliver Thompson
Oliver Thompson

Strawman
Epic dude. But no. I said that if you're judging a shows merits solely on style you're a retard. Now try again.

Luke Allen
Luke Allen

No one is doing that here.
Besides, especially in animation, the style is important and often used to tell the story in a way you wouldnt do with live action.

Attached: 7B10101D-B027-4D0C-B414-E3AF4D52F12C.png (367 KB, 600x450)

Dylan Young
Dylan Young

The Tatami Galaxy, Kill la Kill, The Flowers of Evil, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Kaiji S2, Ping Pong and Little Witch Academia are all pretty distinctive

Josiah Morris
Josiah Morris

I don't remember Megas being all that visually stunning.

Samurai Jack looks good but the flash animation aesthetic may not be for everyone.

Teen Titans was just okay animation-wise.

Never seen 2011 TCats.

I guess Ben 10 is really pretty at points.

Jayden Cox
Jayden Cox

is a pedantic fuck
Still gets it wrong
You could consider it the entire millenia you mong.

Colton Garcia
Colton Garcia

Literally the OP. A show's style isn't important to the story you can tell. The animation and direction are.

Ethan Garcia
Ethan Garcia

Notice how most of those are significantly influenced by eastern animation?

Adrian Edwards
Adrian Edwards

nigger please. good sol are about enjoying the simple pleasures in life and character-based humor. its meant to be relaxing, healing and charming. your interpretation is weird and gay.

Attached: 1447613941163.gif (2 MB, 540x303)

David Wilson
David Wilson

Implying eastern animation wasn't significantly inspired by Western and it isn't still apparent today.
Kill yourself double standards weeb

Luis Bennett
Luis Bennett

your interpretation is weird and gay
Like you and anyone else who watches that shit

Oliver White
Oliver White

current year is all bout numbers now. animation studios make shitty cal-arts toons because they need something ASAP. japs literally make fun of us for it.

Nicholas Parker
Nicholas Parker

Anime stretches out sub million dollar budges over a season of 13-26 episodes
but the finished product isn't as high quality as it could be. but my point is western animators were onces able to make a very high quality product. but that was a long time ago.

Attached: 7cdaa2e256ed5f11b65a2530ba8e36e4.jpg (132 KB, 740x416)

William Thompson
William Thompson

No one ever said /only/ thing that matters.
You still being a stupid hipster and saying ugly is better or the same as pretty, you are just trying to say it without saying it,

Attached: 07143FE0-10FC-4F39-A6BB-1EAE6FC67D61.png (316 KB, 620x400)

Michael Ross
Michael Ross

no u
originoo gangsta

Levi Green
Levi Green

Yeah Disney influenced anime in the 60s but between 1985 and 2009 japanese cartoons apsolutely dominated the field on tv (not counting a few Disney theater moves). It is only very recently western TV cartoons stopped being shit.

William Martin
William Martin

cherry picks a few examples
Are you retarded its a panel of 48 examples not a few
What bothers you so much about people preferring nice looking art that you have to do such mental gymnastics

Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell

this
miyazaki films took inspiration from disney if i'm not mistaken.

Aiden Price
Aiden Price

Why are they all holding their croutch?

Mason Anderson
Mason Anderson

Tom and jerry is great when it is great, but not something you would watch as a 16 year old, or a 21 year old or as a 27 year old. Western stops at the staturday morning.

Attached: AB394B55-D19C-41D9-803D-76B17C16A61F.jpg (111 KB, 736x871)

Logan Cox
Logan Cox

stopped being shit
i think you mean stated being shit.

Easton Richardson
Easton Richardson

Because mah puberty meme,
Honestly adults are way more embarrassed about puberty than kids ever are. That is why the show looks so cringe, the kids dont act like kids, at least based off the previews

Attached: 64D924AB-1565-4976-8713-6C3FE6D5654C.jpg (51 KB, 480x347)

Austin Rodriguez
Austin Rodriguez

Hes right tho

Origijana

Liam Hall
Liam Hall

Psycho Pass is just a garbage Ghost in the Shell

Adrian Walker
Adrian Walker

what are some good modern cartoons? serious question because I am interested in watching some, I am bored with anime these days

Jordan Fisher
Jordan Fisher

P I N G P O N G T H E O R I G I N A L A N I M A T I O N

Lucas Carter
Lucas Carter

No one ever said /only/ thing that matters.
Well, that's pretty much fucking implied by the OP
You still being a stupid hipster and saying ugly is better
You're back to this, as long as a show is engaging the style hardly matters and I'm simply saying consuming anything that's style over substance makes you a retard pic related. A show autists have never understood for this reason.

Attached: maxresdefault-(26).jpg (79 KB, 1780x1246)

Austin Jackson
Austin Jackson

you have a point most high quality western animation was made for kids. japanese animation (anime) is mostly made for teenagers and young adults. it's sad that there isn't more non comedy western animations made for adults.

Brody Stewart
Brody Stewart

In the mid 20th century, a unique thread happen in Japanese society where, with the "liberation" of women, men suddenly have the time, money and need for animation with elements of cuteness in it.
This resulted in anime obtaining a small yet dedicated fan base that had huge sway in funding for more artistic work.

This is a huge contrast to US mass marketing animation, which never have to deal with the much more repressed nerd fanbase.

Carter Richardson
Carter Richardson

A show autists have never understood for this reason.
i don't think anyone has trouble understanding 12 oz mouse

Aaron Cooper
Aaron Cooper

Have you guys really not seen Big Mouth? It's actually pretty fucking hilarious and I think a lot of robots would enjoy it because sexually they are on a similar level as these kids.

Yeah it looks like normie cancer flavor of the month but you guys should try it.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (142 KB, 1280x720)

Daniel Baker
Daniel Baker

You'd be surprised then. Most people wrote it off as nonsensical trash solely on the art.

Logan Myers
Logan Myers

i would rather rip out my own eyes than watch this normie shit

Ian Gomez
Ian Gomez

Whatever. I enjoyed it. It was a good detective troupe show, with a nice matrix style dystopian philosophy discussion overlay embetted in the detective drama. Without either becoming too prechy or domaint.
Ghost in the shell was better, but had less neo noir feel, less philosophy, but more parable and reflection about nature of self, also more action and less moody overall, they differently feel different to me. Also used the spy thriller troupe instead of detective

Attached: 7BAE72F9-D206-4A6F-937F-E12E5D988F4A.jpg (100 KB, 748x421)

Asher Flores
Asher Flores

I feel like this is like when normies told me to watch Big Bang theory:
"Omg user you are JUST like Sheldon teehee." Nobody ever acted like Sheldon. Not how nerds act at all

Adrian Edwards
Adrian Edwards

i liked it. it just seemed to me that people who didn't weren't into the humor or the style (both valid reasons to not enjoy something, i think). i get what youre saying, though

Evan Lopez
Evan Lopez

You do realize that almost every American cartoon has a budget that dwarfs television anime, right?

Josiah Rogers
Josiah Rogers

Ok how many of those animus on that list are worth watching?

Attached: 0AB4352C-0C65-4F74-94FD-A5514737F261.jpg (366 KB, 650x488)

Jordan Richardson
Jordan Richardson

good animation doesnt have to be animated well

Ryder Parker
Ryder Parker

all of them except for sailor moon and black lagoon

Blake Long
Blake Long

Not reading your thread but has anybody pointed out that show is supposed to be ugly? The show is shit but the whole ethos is about it is the self-consciousness and awkwardness of adolescence. It's art maaaaan

Carson Sanchez
Carson Sanchez

Yeah. Like 70 years ago and since then western animation moved in a very different direction. No one is saying western animation 70 years ago was shit.

Liam Carter
Liam Carter

black lagoon
bad
You dont deserve good entertainment

Attached: B3DC5F82-36F0-4646-8BF0-D5176E623340.jpg (44 KB, 1024x563)

Joseph Watson
Joseph Watson

Best post in the thread

Oreo

Ryan Edwards
Ryan Edwards

Your point? Anime hasn't gone in a drastic direction since using those as influences.

Owen Campbell
Owen Campbell

Any cartoon? American Dad is easily one of the best comedy shows, well was. Just watch seasons 4 up to 9

Joseph Moore
Joseph Moore

i mean, if you like melodramatic shoot em ups that are episodic and never really go anywhere, sure, its fine

Chase James
Chase James

It is true it never really went anywhere plot wise.
But I feel the real arc was the developing of trust and understanding between the salaryman boy and the born in the mud of the slums girl.

Ryan Turner
Ryan Turner

Even american cartoons are mongrels! LMAO

Charles Roberts
Charles Roberts

Made in abyss
Your name
A silent voice
You can't have not heard of at least one of these so the question is: Are you saying they're objectively bad or are you just pretenting nnbe of these exist ?

Attached: 1526453276214.jpg (510 KB, 1280x1280)

Austin Hernandez
Austin Hernandez

black lagoon
bad
please die

Grayson Harris
Grayson Harris

Made in abyss
Your name
A silent voice
You can't have not heard of at least one of these so the question is: Are you saying they're objectively bad or are you just pretending none of these exist ?

Attached: 1524792208688.jpg (52 KB, 1000x559)

Robert Kelly
Robert Kelly

It is really bad on childrens show, they push the diverts is power meme super hard.
They have a musliam and a black and Indian and an Asian, it is a regular rainbow, and now days they add a gay, becuase there is always excavate one of each of those in any spices goeup

Attached: 9887B09B-0323-4CD1-AF89-371328C2BBC0.jpg (308 KB, 1024x576)

Dylan Wilson
Dylan Wilson

But western animation has and that's what people are saying is shit. The examples being cited are the ones which have been infused with eastern influences and carry with them elements of an older style which have largely been lost. They represent a return to the styles and traditions present in older animation the departure from which is what is being critiqued in much of the current shows and movies produced.

Luis Turner
Luis Turner

i agree with your point about revy and rock; that was one of the few bright spots for me in the show along with the animation, which was very good. i didn't think it was horrible, i just wouldn't list it as essential viewing or recommend it as an example of great anime.

Angel Roberts
Angel Roberts

user, technically if he was a post modernist he would reject the idea that certain things are inherently better since post modernism believes in the absence of any objectives

Attached: 1513044087214.png (574 KB, 700x1264)

Noah Hill
Noah Hill

Pretty funny how the asian is a hypermanlet.
Well, at least they make an effort to distinguish the shitskins, that ridiculous hindu hat and all.

Kayden Bennett
Kayden Bennett

they're all terrible, melodramatic horseshit

learn what good writing is instead of saying an anime is good because it has pretty colours and is hyped up by the casuals

Cooper Davis
Cooper Davis

never said it was bad. just don't think it's worth watching for someone wanting examples of high quality anime, which was how i interpreted the intention of the post i originally responded to.

Josiah Ortiz
Josiah Ortiz

implying anything has ever had good writing

Lincoln Russell
Lincoln Russell

everyone in this thread seems to be accusing each other of being hipsters disregarding the fact that if you are actively drawing a comparison between high brow and low brow anime you likely are also a hipster

Liam Price
Liam Price

Not him but just take any single Redline frame. 7 years hand crafted 1000times folded glorious nippon animation.

Jordan Reed
Jordan Reed

Black Lagoon is pretty high quality

okay the writing is shit but in terms of action and mindless fun it is one of the best around

Benjamin Gutierrez
Benjamin Gutierrez

Redline, Made in abyss, ping pong, devilman, bla bla bla...
pic related, it's you.

Attached: 1526448832056.png (207 KB, 403x433)

Adrian Bailey
Adrian Bailey

we are drawing comparisons between good and bad anime

there is no such thing as high brow anime, the medium is inherently low brow trash made for japanese social rejects

Gavin Wood
Gavin Wood

having taste is hipster
No. Having ironic taste is hipster

Jordan Gray
Jordan Gray

there are certainly some animatons that have higher artistic worth (to me) compared to others

I don't really understand why people like to toss around the term ironic but passive irreverence is really passe

Thomas Flores
Thomas Flores

nobody cares what you think, you are literally watching cartoons based on Japanese comics that are drawn for 10 year old boys, it is low brow entertainment

Owen Edwards
Owen Edwards

Yes there is, anime is a important development in art history and some of the styles stills will hang in museums in the future. You would have to be a real phiatine not to be moved by some of it

Brody Long
Brody Long

everything in this post is wrong

Attached: 1343177989521.jpg (372 KB, 2500x1000)

Dylan Murphy
Dylan Murphy

muh feels
nobody cares, your chinese cartoons are not and probably never will be considered high brow. stop being insecure about your hobbies

Jace Edwards
Jace Edwards

Art is never understood in its own time

Attached: D79FDF8F-6C06-44E3-9927-DAA0FA101980.jpg (22 KB, 299x168)

Jacob Scott
Jacob Scott

all of you are fucking retarded. Me? im an intellectual and watch this

Attached: MV5BMjliODdkOGEt[email protected].-V1-UY268-CR0,0,182 (20 KB, 182x268)

Colton King
Colton King

This is what I hate about the modern West. Its like making things really good looking is seen as bad, and its a virtue to be ugly or repulsive.

Justin Cook
Justin Cook

Because american culture is degenerate

Nathan Thompson
Nathan Thompson

Whenever I watch anime I honestly feel like we are so behind. Their cartoons have really introspective characters who have long internal monologues and they talk about their feelings. American cartoons are always just as silly and dumb as possible.

Jonathan Reyes
Jonathan Reyes

the show is based on john mulvaney's repressed circumcision trauma

Brandon Peterson
Brandon Peterson

animu houses and cartoon houses feel so different but i cant grasp why

Tyler Rivera
Tyler Rivera

I thought cartoons like Arthur had charming graphics

Attached: IMG-1757.jpg (42 KB, 433x340)

Angel Jones
Angel Jones

An king of the hill/Daria I felt the graphics gave these shows a warm feeling, but I agree that really modern graphics looks cheap

Attached: IMG-1758.jpg (41 KB, 512x288)

Jayden Gomez
Jayden Gomez

Long internal monologues are seldom actually a good thing. It's a shortcut lazy writers use to simply tell you everything you need to know to understand the story and the characters rather than show it in an engaging way.

Caleb Jackson
Caleb Jackson

That's not really true. I watch old Looney Tunes all the time still. It's a high enough quality product to enjoy as an adult for different reasons than you would as a child. Not only is the animation itself good but the music, how they are used together, and the voice acting are all phenomenal and can be enjoyed from a more analytical art perspective.

Dylan Cruz
Dylan Cruz

Your loss, you don't get to watch the Hormone Monster skullfuck Garrison Keillor.

Wyatt Reyes
Wyatt Reyes

See I think the BM animation still meshes with the major themes and writing in the show. It's not winning any awards for artistic direction but I don't think that was the intent

Jace Torres
Jace Torres

Jews but unironically, they produce and air this shit

Sebastian Sanders
Sebastian Sanders

Everything about that Japanese image is superior to the American image except for their faces. Everything looks good, great background, well drawn figures, good hair, great coloring, but then their fucking faces are so bland. The American image is consistent in its simplicity, the Japanese image is very good looking until they intentionally make simple, characterless faces. It's a bit unsettling.

I tried to watch K-On! years ago because people said it was maximum comfy, but I never got past 4 eps. had a catchy opening, though.

Christian Thompson
Christian Thompson

youtube.com/watch?v=uETC_qoqq_E

Kevin Wood
Kevin Wood

The fact this man exists makes me sad. That voice is affected and it's all a joke right? Right?

Sebastian Lewis
Sebastian Lewis

I don't consider Big Mouth an American show, as an American. Everyone loves it's because it's "bold" and "innovative". I was cringing watching the first episode because of how edgy it was. It's another South Park clone but this time with more underage penises and talking vaginas.

Asher Wilson
Asher Wilson

Because they are run by people that are incredibly out of touch.

Also, $$$
Japanese animation studios are fucking sweatshops, slave fucking labor. That shit doesn't fly in the US.

Nolan Robinson
Nolan Robinson

Bc Americans focus on development and emotions. Anime is just confusing likeness with anime characters to wanting to fuck each one from every scene. Its weird

Josiah White
Josiah White

You really haven't seen much anime, have you?

Gabriel Ross
Gabriel Ross

The creators of Big Mouth wanted to deter artists from drawing porn of the underage characters, but forgot that R34 has no exceptions.

But as a general rule there really isn't an American equivalent to the Japanese otaku, so instead of making something meant to hold up to a rabid autist's magnifying glass they're made for young stoners and kids up past their bed times who have zero standards and will watch anything as long as it's raunchy enough.

Daniel Adams
Daniel Adams

they're made for young stoners and kids up past their bed times who have zero standards and will watch anything as long as it's raunchy enough.

Like this faggot?

Kevin Bennett
Kevin Bennett

I hate the writing in Archer but will admit I like the comic book aesthetic it has, makes it look unique.

Henry Myers
Henry Myers

People don't watch western animation that isn't comedy, because why should they? The west has good live-action television. If you have an idea for a TV show it's almost always better to hire actors and film it, because you can do anything you could animate with practical effects and CGI faster and on a smaller budget than you could animate something.

Comedy animation (cartoons) don't benefit from realistic painting-like animation. If anything, it makes it harder to suspend disbelief and difficult to make visual gags. Anime isn't funny, so it benefits from being well-animated and pretty to look at.

Ayden Martin
Ayden Martin

The art style of that show is so bad it makes me want to hurl. The subject matter is no better. Only Jews could produce something so vile.

Isaiah Reyes
Isaiah Reyes

Except that CGI on television dramas usually look like ass warmed over unless you have the bottomless pockets of HBO or are a Netflix showpiece (I couldn't get ten minutes into Divergent because the effects are so painful) so if you want to do more fantastical sci-fi or fantasy then animation, as a medium and tool, is your best bet.

For example a television adaption of The Wheel of Time would have to be a massively scaled-back spin off with almost nothing to do with the books if it was done in live action but could be faithfully done as a cartoon.

David Hughes
David Hughes

Ironically that's the same reason why western animation looks like ass - good luck getting a TV show with a fraction of the animation budget as any japanese anime. There isn't a market for it, at least not in America. If you have airtime as a cartoon, it's probably the writing, not the animation, that is making you money. So that's where the resources go.

Gabriel White
Gabriel White

Don't American cartoons actually have way bigger budgets than Japanese ones?

Ian Howard
Ian Howard

American animation is in a faze right now. too many Cal Arts retards sucking it up to diversity and progression.
But if you weebcunts actually think cherrypicking will prove anything, you're sadly mistaken.

Attached: 1485900277645.jpg (408 KB, 854x758)

Andrew Young
Andrew Young

way bigger budgets
As an actual weekly cartoon? I doubt it, feel free to prove him wrong though.

Christopher Bailey
Christopher Bailey

Yeah, but most of that money isn't going to animators, and even the amount to which it is is just because it costs more to do less in America.

Michael Roberts
Michael Roberts

what a god tier show

Attached: 1527029590275.jpg (27 KB, 600x399)

Colton Parker
Colton Parker

Those are pretty low tier anime

Wyatt Scott
Wyatt Scott

Here is my contribution to this thread. I'm not reading everything above.

Attached: d81.jpg (83 KB, 680x1008)

Carter Anderson
Carter Anderson

If you can ignore the pedophile bait, Made in Abyss is pretty good.

Attached: made-in-abyss-bondrewd-science.jpg (167 KB, 1200x1123)

Ryan Scott
Ryan Scott

Wow, totally forgot about this

Joseph Roberts
Joseph Roberts

Because we'd be accused of cultural appropriation for choosing any other style.

People who made flash animations as kids now have actual jobs as animators. Sad, isn't it. :/

The show's about kids hitting puberty.

Joshua Price
Joshua Price

Golden Kamuy
Cutie Honey
HisoMaso
Hoozuki
I don't even have to leave the current season. I don't understand why people who don't and never have watched anime try to comment on it like they're the expert in the room.

Logan Torres
Logan Torres

End of Evangelion is deeper than most of the garbage that comes out of Hollywood.

Attached: --souryuu-asuka-langley-neon-genesis-evangelion-drawn-by-pii-taromura--988a933f10810167ff1e866dcdd62 (427 KB, 950x1237)

Aaron Jones
Aaron Jones

Came out 20 years ago

Joshua Sanchez
Joshua Sanchez

Anime
variety of different genres catering to different audiences, including sci-fi, drama, romance, action, art house, etc.

Western animation
Either children's cartoons, children's cartoons that have an appeal to adults for whatever reason, or edgy 'adult' comedy shows

Why is this? Why did animation never really take off over here?

Jacob Baker
Jacob Baker

Quality over quantity. American animations were more quality even if they were forced to be family friendly. Movies like The Brave Little Toaster are masterpieces even if you're an adult.

Attached: --katyusha-and-kinomoto-sakura-cardcaptor-sakura-and-girls-und-panzer-drawn-by-inumoto--733950582050 (182 KB, 992x1403)

Dominic Barnes
Dominic Barnes

It did, American animation streamlined the industry decades ago. Now it caters to children and anything that's not an adult comedy is considered niche
Samarai Jack was so close to saving American animation
Error: Maximum file size allowed is 2 MB
Fuck this cheap website

Attached: Its-too-samll.gif (7 KB, 10x8)

Isaiah Ramirez
Isaiah Ramirez

I have wondered this myself too
Even the most basic anime has better animation than the best western cartoons

From all the cartoons and anime iv seen, anime also tells far better stories too

Attached: art.jpg (458 KB, 1544x1296)