Why are American cartoons so fucking ugly compared to Japanese ones?

Why are American cartoons so fucking ugly compared to Japanese ones?

Attached: file.png (640x885, 859K)

I honestly can't believe something that looks like a flash animation I made in 9th grade is an actual show

Low effort, bad schools, no taste

why are they all standing like that?

have they pissed themselves?

well for one you posted moe which is homogenized and formulated to be cute. another reason is there are a lo more anime than cartoons.

Because American cartoons value good writing over spending millions to painstakingly animate hundreds of girls with the same face

Attached: YSIHTwk.jpg (1365x1586, 268K)

Flash
That's the only thing

Why are American video games so fucking ugly compared to Japanese ones?

Attached: file.png (1080x1110, 1.6M)

Jews thats why. Anyone who still watches tv are the lowest of the low denominator pay pig and will take that shit or children which they are also targeting.

>Because American cartoons value good writing
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mugi is so damn adoreable. I want to eat that cupcake.

Good animation isn't something that shouldn't be prioritized. A good script is all the better when it's coupled with beautiful animation.

Because waito piggu americans can't into cute

Attached: 14150940.png (500x314, 66K)

Get the nip cum out of your eyes faggot. Anime is an abomination. Even the ugliest of western styles is joy to watch compared to alien bug person show.

Japan hasn't put out anything well-animated or well-written in years.

Attached: 1483335586496.jpg (2504x2680, 1.02M)

Both are absolute trash. At least pick a proper scale when doing these sort of comparisons.

>Even the ugliest of western styles is joy to watch compared to alien bug person show.

Attached: file.png (500x248, 144K)

Realism vs Japanese anime aesthetic

Watch The Garden of Words for the animation.
Watch Made in Abyss for the story.
Also, what are some well animated or written american cartoons?

>american cartoons
>well-written

lmao I wish I knew as well, this is a really good question. Maybe its the social justice mentallity and by making cartoon characters look nice and cute it makes people feel bad or left out? Like I literally watch anime because I want to escape my ugly dull world and American cartoon characters like the one OP posted just remind me of the amerimutt meme. Sucks.

Attached: 63892_Anime_Anime_-_K-on_Wallpaper.jpg (1600x1000, 309K)

>Artistic Direction vs Autistic Direction

Because portraying beautiful females in media is sexist according to Western academia

Samurai Jack, The Simpsons, Avatar, Archer, King of the Hill, Ren & Stimpy, courage the cowardly dog, the venture brothers, Adventure Time, Flapjack, aqua teen hunger force, birdman: attorney at law

Do you want an actual answer or do you want an edgy 4chin answer. Because I actually do know the reason and it has to do with how American society views the world and how the Japanese view the world. I can give a massive explanation if you want if you want me to go into detail.

>implying 99% of anime doesn't look the same

im having a laff over here, famioli

Not OP but I'm curious, go ahead

yeah it all looks the same

Attached: trT6xkm.jpg (2417x1984, 641K)

>draw like shit
>"duh its meant to be ugly, its symbolic"
just like modern arts

every time i see that cartoon on the bottom pop up on my netflix screen (which it does with surprising regularity) I wonder who the fuck would ever see those characters and think "that is probably a show worth watching." How do you look at something like that and not try to get it off the screen as fast as possible. just... the eyes, the proportions, those stupid grins, the lips, eyebrows, it's all off. just produces a feeling of utter disgust in me. not even sure why. i want to have whoever designed those characters shot. i know nothing about the show but it has got to be like one of those things where the characters exist just to suffer, and the show exists just to make us feel good about them suffering... right?

Give us the non-meme answer for once

"Realism"
Tech is still years away from realistic video game avatars.
Why not just make a seperate art style like japan instead of the gross looking uncanny valley art when its obvious tech-wise we just aren't there yet.

>Cherrypicks a few examples of anime with unique styles
>Ignores the hundreds and hundreds of anime that all have the same style

>what is madoka

>"good" american cartoons
>leaves out regular show

Because the pursuit of perfection cannot be skipped. The idea of only putting out Japanese style designs with video games and never trying to actually pursue realistic art in 3d design, programming, etc. is laughable.

Imagine there being only cave paintings up until the renaissance, that's how retarded you sound.

so what difference does it actually make? all western cartoons look the same too, like childish retarded doodles

those shows don't have progression, except for samurai jack. they're just animated sitcoms

because american cartoons are drawn by jews. anime isn't kiked yet that's why.

Samurai Jack, Avatar, Courage, Adventure time and Flapjack are good, but most of the others are just generic 'funny and satirical' shows.

>Madoka
>Well written

Attached: d412725c876a83020f8d7f606315c9c5328d158f.jpg (1368x672, 227K)

Because Japanese cartoons seek to create an escape from reality, while American ones seek to create a window into it.

B-but muh bait-and-switch!

>avatar
>no progression

the disney animated movies look great though

Treasure Planet for instance

left that one out

Best post in this thread. Originalli

>The Simpsons
>KoTH
>ATHF
Underage b&

>no """""progression"""""= bad wiriting

I said most of them. But yeah, The Simpsons and King of the Hill are included in that.

Part 1

Now bare with me when I say this because it's going to take a bit. It has to do with Americas sense of Post Modernism. Post Modernism is in American literature, art, film, music, etc. It's cynical and pessimistic in all its forms and it really took off in the United States more so than with other Western nations. Take European literature like Goethe's "Faust," dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment, Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein." They're all use Romanticism, German Expressionism, and Modernism in their story structure. This can even be seen in their art, take Edvard Munch's "The Scream." This is an exceedingly European style of writing which is all but avoided in American styles. European writing is more centered around some outlandish situation or looking at character traits in a person then personifying that trait into something physical. Frankenstein is a perfect example of this since it's literally using German Expressionism. The Creature is literally a physical monster on the outside to reflect something innately wrong with it's creator Victor. Victor Frankenstein being the Creatures creator.

"Realistic" animators have no excuse. This movie came out 19 years ago.

Attached: 12.jpg (619x335, 33K)

Part 2

Americans have a tendency to employ Naturalism and Post Modernism in almost all of their writing, art, or what have you. When I say post modernism I'm mostly talking about the themes and art style. Post modernism is highly cynical and nothing is sacred or considered a no go zone. You can directly talk about sex or insult a certain belief directly without fear of being called out since it's all cynical anyway. Themes of discrimination are massive part of Post Modernism and it can be traced all the way back to post World War II. People were poor and the best type of writing that was being sold was Post Modernist poems and stories to the newly educated Americans. Writers like Hughes and Wright were a big part of these writings.

Americans, with their writing, are much more blunt as compared to the rest of the world. Some would call it tactless but it's just how our nation developed. Japan took inspiration from early European and American films and adapted but stuck with the European sense of Romanticism and Fantasy.

Long story short, Americans are blunt and tactless with their art and writing while the Japanese with their mostly European influence decided to go with Fantasy and Romanticism instead of Post Modernism.

Attached: 1446819041212.jpg (500x495, 67K)

You must be Eighteen years old or older to post on Jow Forums.

The west has always had Disney, so the argument is somewhat invalid. It's mostly a question of budget, target market and audience expectations. Disney's target is whole families, so they have to create art that appeals to everyone. "mature" western cartoons have a small budget and an audience that is there for the humor more than anything else by far, so it makes little sense to spend out the ass on art. Cartoons for kids... well, they'll watch anything really. It's all amazing when you're young and don't know any better.

The real reason why anime has great art, comparted to the average western cartoon: they want the manchild market. You can't draw a waifu poorly or it will no longer be a waifu.

'ayy dude the characters be fat and dumb becuz real lief ppl be fat and dumb too XDDD america bad lol wake up sheeples'

Attached: 1525219161599.png (512x512, 138K)

>Post-modernism
It's easy to spot a brainlet trying to sound smart because they use this word as if it means something

>That image
>This whole post
Jesus. You couldn't be any more of child trying to sound adult.

It does, now you can either tell me how I'm wrong or you can just use ad hominem attacks. Either my argument is good or my argument is bad, but the burden of proof is on you to explain how i'm wrong.

damn you're butthurt

Define post-modernism please.

are these posts post modern?

>Cartoons
There's a reason for that GDP gap
Underrated

Not that guy, but basically the Japanese have a culturally ingrained attachment to a purposeful visual "aesthetic." When the country first transitioned from hunter-gatherers to sedentary civilization like 2000 years ago, they adopted a lot of customs from the Chinese, who were already advanced by that time. Broadly, there is a very strong emphasis on "harmony", and one of the ways they build that is by making their environment purposefully beautiful. They refined this concept for hundreds of years and it was never really lost.

Obviously there is tremendous range. But the art of Japan reflects the culture, which has this sensibility throughout it. That's why an anime set in some middle school can have an "aesthetic" quality to it.

Postmodernism is a broad movement that developed in the mid- to late-20th century across philosophy, the arts, architecture, and criticism and that marked a departure from modernism. The term has also more generally been applied to the historical era following modernity and the tendencies of this era.

While encompassing a disparate variety of approaches, postmodernism is defined by its rejection of grand narratives/meta-narratives and ideologies. Consequently, common targets of postmodern critique include universalist notions of objective reality, morality, truth, human nature, reason, language, and social progress. Postmodern thinkers frequently call attention to the contingent or socially-conditioned nature of knowledge claims and value systems, situating them as products of particular political, historical, or cultural discourses and hierarchies. Accordingly, postmodern thought is broadly characterized by tendencies to self-referentiality, epistemological and moral relativism, pluralism, subjectivism, and irreverence.

Postmodern critical approaches gained purchase in the 1980s and 1990s, and have been adopted in a variety of academic and theoretical disciplines, including cultural studies, philosophy of science, economics, linguistics, architecture, feminist theory, and literary criticism, as well as art movements in fields such as literature and music.

Those cartoons are just popular for taking (what was supposed to be) common sense + humor and making dumb people think they're smart for criticizing dumber people, but they're all the same at it's core with just different characters/contexts and slightly different art style.
Prove me wrong.

I missed my first chance to see this one because I couldn't appreciate it due to how old I was.

Post your best still of anime and i'll tell you why it's shit.

a pile of shit, that's what Madoka is. I can't believe people put that anime up on a pedestal.

American animation is ugly, Japanese is bland and predictable. All anime made after the 2000s looks like the same exact fucking thing. I'd much rather watch American cartoons, at least it'll have some weird art style.

>All anime made after the 2000s looks like the same exact fucking thing
wrong tbqh

>value good writing
Have you even watched any western cartoon in the past 5-7 year you can even debate they is wasn't good prior to that.

These are children's cartoons made to capture the attention span of a child. You're comparing children's cartoons to something that "adults" watch.

Anime is shit. If it's got such good writing/composition prove it.

>avatar
>venture bros
>no progression
What's wrong with an animated sitcom anyway? When Americans want drama, we go to actual tv shows and movies, not fucking cartoons.

Post something that looks fucking different please. They're all the same show

>Post something that looks fucking different please.
see

>making broad, sweeping generalizations about a genre spanning literally thousands of different movies/shows and subgenres all by different writers

Attached: retg.jpg (183x275, 7K)

>You are wrong
Still waiting for some proof, fampai

>avatars
How about you just go jump off a bridge

Anime can be pretty nice sometimes but anything without a proper budget is gonna be animated like shit anyway. Also the other problem is with how the anime industry itself is geared where they have a huge reliance on merchandise sales to make back their money. Because of it they usually gotta go with the otaku pandering route with waifus and all that other bullshit. You won't see anime like Texhnolyze again in a long, long time because there simply isn't a market for gritty stuff anymore.

>Now bare with me
>bare
You lost my attention at the second word.

imagine being so retarded that you don't know personal taste is subjective

>Lupin the 3rd
>Cowboy Bebop
>Paranoia Agent
>Akira
>Big O
>Sailor Moon
>Ghost In The Shell
All made pre 2010s, jackass. This image is fucking stupid. All the anime made after the 2000s looks like the exact same cartoon.

To be fair Samurai Jack has only a little progression until the final season.

US cartoons hit there peak in the 90s and went to shit after.

>Post proof
>You're retarded
>Can you post some proof?
>You're retarded
Really gets your brain muscle pumping

Attached: Thnook.gif (240x240, 274K)

>please take my kindergarten tier bait it's the best i could possibly do

you're welcome

So the window into our reality shows it full of reddit and memes?

Attached: 2017.jpg (1500x1500, 241K)

Bottom two are uncanny valley nightmares.

>45691691(You)
Ironic

Attached: Honorary(You).jpg (1200x675, 272K)

>Twitter
>Angry birds
>hashtags
>mlp
>2000s

That is such an ad hominem reason to not listen to someone.

is this all you wanted? they aren't that hard to get.

maybe if you weren't a NEET you might have some actual currency

>45691759(You)
God I hate summerfags

>being so much of an autist you actually value (You)'s to the point of refusing to actually reply to posts

Congratulations, (You) played yourself.

lol

I agree tho, bigmouth looks like shit. It makes me angry

Attached: 30080121_1228103887326794_4360783452153315328_n.jpg (640x480, 61K)

Were you born this year?

Attached: why.jpg (1280x720, 86K)

>45691794(You)
v& my dude
Delet this

Anime has declined in quality yes.
But anime is a important development in art history and some of thier paintings deserve to hang in art museums for all time. Also it is really unfair to compare using stills
You never got past stage one anime.
No