Any of you robots know how to code and/or are working as a developer...

any of you robots know how to code and/or are working as a developer? I want to get into it so I'm teaching myself via coursera. what is the industry like?

Attached: n-CODING-628x314.jpg (628x314, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fossforce.com/2017/07/many-loves-richard-m-stallman/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>any of you robots know how to code
yes
and/or are working as a developer?
no

this desu if anyone says otherwise they are a liar

I am an Embedded Software engineer.

That is some astoundingly horrible code in your pic OP. If that from the course your taking you should get a refund.

>can't even read all of the code due to the blur on half the screen

Seems pretty basic for a mere password checker desu.

I know some Python, no where near enough to be a competent developer.

>any of you robots know how to code
Yeah I'm a pretty proficient java, javascript, and C# dev.

>and/or are working as a developer?
I did before I quit because fuck that.

>what is the industry like?
Shit and full of H1B slaves.

The users password is stored in plain text put into an exception message, which for all the developer knows can be getting logged or put into the event viewer.

I would like to warn you that the world you are going to enter is one of the most cringe-induced and toxic environment I've ever met in my life. You will encounter a lot of 18yo living memes with crispy beards and greasy skin blaming everything you use. Be ready

>know how to code
no.
>working as a developer
Yes

t.chad

AMA

Finished school for CS in May with good grades and an internship and I haven't found a job yet. Moving back in with my parents today.

Im a new college grad developer. Pretty fun so far. Not great all the time but youre getting paid a lot so you deal with it

> can program many languages
> GPU shaders, embedded computers, webshit, a proof assistant, C++, basically everything
> made some really good C++ math libraries
> have an @gnu.org email
> never made a single penny off of it
> basically, I ruin "muh industry" for scum CS majors by doing shit for free
> all a nigga want is some nice warm human coochie

I thought CS meant instant good job?

damn u knoe dat 7-11 grind

Yes.
Fuck that though.
Coding is shit and getting saturated.

How'd you get the job? Or are you Chadly enough that the diversity hire female dev interviewing you swallowed your load in the conference room?

Shit is it actually? People always talk about how there's a huge labor shortage in CS, I thought I was in the clear for the ultimate robot job

That's what I thought but 95% of my apps are denies and of the 5% I make it past the initial screen but never any further.

Is a coding bootcamp a good idea for someone with a non-cs stem degree to get their foot in a door as a junior developer? I already know C++ and the linux shell scripting, but not much else.

>gnu is run by incel robots
Why am I not surprised?

what country/state are you in?
grades and internship should atleast get you interviews desu
fucking up the whiteboarding is on you though

>haha we're better because we're automating yer jawbs nyeh nyeh
>fuck off we're full
pick one

No, it's run by a single alt-chad volcel and staffed by a gang of misfits

fossforce.com/2017/07/many-loves-richard-m-stallman/

>be me
>spend all of college taking as courses for programming games
>I've been programming since I was 13
>Pass my courses with remarkable scores
>My projects, programmed by myself, win over projects created by a group of people
>Attend several conferences with other people looking to get into the industry
>Got to talk with some big names at those conferences, in order to get my foot in door
>Even meet my idol, John Romero, for a bit
>Graduate with a bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering
>After college, I stopped applying myself
>Never got into the insudtry
>mfw I waste all of my knowledge and hard work just to make mods of pre-existing game at home for fun.

Attached: rehtbedbhsrt.png (771x874, 615K)

How does one suddenly lose motivation like this?

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science here. 2.5 years working in the field. Don't ask me anything because here are the answers:

- Yes, it really is getting saturated.
- No, it's not how you imagine it

Pic related touches on a couple of important points

Attached: coding_cyanide_pill.png (912x426, 96K)

It wasn't instant. It took a couple of years after college. I worked as a QA tester for a while, in order to introduce my self to the company and hopefully work there in the future. But I stopped all together when I lost interest in that too.

>Taking the words of a beaver-fucker seriously.

Only a bachelor? Why not continue for a master
Its literall fucking useless to spend so much time on something and then dont even finish it properly... baka

What they teach you in college, you will never fucking use. And I'm not just talking about the finite state machines or discrete math. The loops, the algorithms, the java libraries, even the mere act of writing blocks of code (as opposed to tiny snippets here and there), you will never do ANY of it in a real programming job, not unless you have a master's degree or higher. Working at a consumer company, your job is bug fixes and working within rickety platforms like Salesforce, writing shit that is abstracted to such a high level, and working around it to fulfill specific requirements at a lower level the client demands but are not well-supported in afforementioned platform, shoehorning it in and resulting in guaranteed spaghetti code every time.

Speaking of spaghetti code, programmers are not all smart. Plenty of shit in that crop of people. Leading to the other side of the programming coin: bug fixes. Every problem you will face will be the result of negligence or retardation of someone who came before you. The schedule will be unnecessarily tight. And it's all to light up tiny light bulbs on a screen in a million different ways. Incredibly tedious, meaningless work these days. Computer science is dead

>ad hominem

Congratulations, you're dumb enough to be a developer

Attached: feels_guy_dumb1.png (600x656, 75K)

I know, I hate myself for it. I bet Romero-sama would be disappointed in me.

>everyone says you should go into coding
>now everyone says you should go into anything but coding
>everyone says you go into trade
>when you get into trade they tell you to do anything but trade
>go into law and they tell you not to go into law
>go into army and they beg you to kill yourself
you know i really don't care anymore

Because the world is subjective and people base things off of anecdotal evidence.

That's because it truly is cyclical you dipshit. Coding truly is a bad choice right now, and a trade truly is a good choice. In a decade or two it will flip again. Or maybe it won't, maybe every industry is becoming shit one by one because every person in the western world is losing their integrity and conscientiousness one by one, generation by generation. Who knows. Buy a gun and a lot of dried/canned food

I honestly don't believe you even slightly.

go into fast food, that's where the real money is

Then go into coding bro. Nothing stopping you. It's what google, apple, microsoft, amazon, khan academy, your favorite high school teacher, and your slightly-dimwitted-but-good-intentioned mother all want you and EVERYONE else to do, is it not? Well if it's being shilled that hard, it must be the right choice.

I actually work at a pizza place part time and its pretty fun even during the rush.
>tfw you do a bad brooklyn accent to make another cook laugh and it ends up being a whole thing for the week.
>teaming up with the new fat kid to do dishes at maximum speed
if the pay wasn't garbage i would stick to it desu but 7.25 at 10-20 hours a week isn't enough to pay rent let alone have a family

>Every problem you will face will be the result of negligence or retardation of someone who came before you. The schedule will be unnecessarily tight. And it's all to light up tiny light bulbs on a screen in a million different ways.

Attached: pepe_emotionally_broken.jpg (500x486, 50K)

Nope, it's just typical 4channers being cynical and and saying every professional and job is shit.

Attached: main-qimg-376d6f73533e94904966289e7a983499-c.jpg (600x458, 40K)

>And it's all to light up tiny light bulbs on a screen in a million different ways.
This is the best part about all of it.

go to Jow Forums and ask them about it. everything is being overrun with pajeets because they work for peanuts

Yes and yes. The industry is absolutely horse shit and you should only utilize programming to further your own hobbies and eventually build up your own business. Otherwise, you're competing with a bunch of fucking faggots that have the same idea as you. Most of the people that I have interviewed in the past were absolutely dumpster tier developers. They know enough to slap things together, but they should definitely not be asking for what they do. They're too novice and lack the technical wherewithal to solve many of the problems that are presented to them (so they typically just use stackoverflow for solutions). Stick to developing shit for yourself and only branch out after you have at least 5 years MINIMUM.

>everything is being overrun with pajeets because they work for peanuts
>not realizing that they end up having to hire another team of developers to fix Pajeet's work
>not realizing you can charge them more since you'll need to assess everything as well

>Why do you want this job?
>I just like lighting up bulbs man. There are like, so many ways to light them up on your screen. Isn't that interesting?!?
>Yeah sure... don't call us, we'll call you.

>dont go into coding because pajeet
>dont go into labor because of mexicans
>dont go into police work because of irish
>dont go into military because whitetrash
>dont go into logging because of methaddicts
>dont go into truckdriving because of boomers
>you will just get replaced anyway lmao

i see i made the pajeet mad

are those jobs the level coding is on? wew

>summer intern
>half the questions I ask makes the dev lead make a real confused face. like hes trying to hide a cringe/facepalm reaction
>i am 1 year away from graduation and did all core classes and upper division classes

i want to kill me self

how do i stop being 2 digit

apparently they are because pajeet can just come in and replace you lmao. You guys are full of so much shit you could be used as a fertilizer factory

the labor shortage is for experienced devs. The market is flooded for entry level. No one really wants entry level devs and train them because once they get enough experience, they quit to go to another company that pays more.

I'm learning Python but how far can I really get with that? I mean it is pretty high level of abstraction and not really as fast as C or C++.

Should I learn C or C++ after I learn a significant amount of Python?

Attached: 0014174-700x1030.jpg (700x1030, 162K)

I want to learn for fun but I don't really know where to start, always been interested in making websites so I might just learn that first instead.

Attached: 1483823887218.jpg (960x720, 79K)

Yes I know how to "code", completely self taught. The internet is full of people from code boot camps getting jobs even though they struggle to write hello world in js because they're normans. I, on the otherhand, could build an OS from scratch, but I'm unemployable because I'm a robot.
If you're a true robot there is no hope.

Attached: 1529569882090.png (600x322, 286K)

>ha ur stupid thats why you dont have good pay job
no really

>not realizing just how utterly fucking miserable that type of job is
>not realizing you will still only make ~$60k (adjusted for area of living) doing a job that is far more frustrating, tedious, and degrading than many other jobs available today

That should be easy for you. Hope on w3school
Every thing you need will be there

>not realizing just how utterly fucking miserable that type of job is
all work is miserable thats why you are paid to do it, if you can find a job that exists that isn't miserable its probably been full since the idea of it came about.
>not realizing you will still only make ~$60k (adjusted for area of living) doing a job that is far more frustrating, tedious, and degrading than many other jobs available today
Go shovel shit every day for a year in a mushroom factory. Honestly you just sound like a spoiled loser

For fucking 60k a year? Give me that shit-shoveling job.

I put up drywall for 3 years before I went to college. I miss it every single day, but now with my student loans, there is no going back to a job that pays less than $50k

I've taken a handful of C++ courses at a local community college, been playing with html/JavaScript/PHP since I was a teenager. I'm competent but truth be told I don't think I'd want to do it for a living. And getting a job doing it even if you have the skills but no work history is impossible. So whatever.

>60k year
25k, if i wasn't an injured fuck i wouldn't even be studying this garbage. Why can't i just fucking die

You can set up your own website on GitHub Pages. I think this will be the easiest way to get something working and sharable while avoiding WYSIWYG stuff.

If this picture is true what is up with the meme that pajeets are taking all of the jobs of the programmers?

some companies tried to outsource to India, it went horribly.

That's what is strange about modern computer programming. What is important today is not knowing specific languages, or knowing algorithms or any other hard skills. What is imporant is resourcefulness and knowing how to be part of a project team, knowing how to do agile development, have people skills, prioritize tickets, work around the limitations of platforms like cloudcraze, salesforce, mulesoft, amazon web services etc (which does not take coding skill, the code for a workaround is extremely straightforward yet lengthy most of the time, things like a mapping of strings to other strings or a long chain of if statements or queries), how to learn and use REST API's... I went to Carnegie Mellon University and graduated with a 3.4 GPA, and man it was a fucking waste. Every piece of code that can possibly be useful to a regular company has already been written. Programmers just work with the platforms now, or work around them

Attached: fefe.jpg (450x470, 45K)

>Went to Ivy League school
>Best friend who is actually super motivated to do things made a startup, got accepted to Y-Combinator
>Spending this summer coding with him
So idk if this is technically working in the industry, but I am coding in Palo Alto and will start working in the industry in Winter probably

Those are "computing" jobs, those include programming and other IT work.

After you get Python down, I would highly encourage you follow through with C/C++ or Go, and additionally pick up another language for web dev to keep yourself completely rounded. It definitely pays off.

I graduated with a BSCS back in 2015 and got hired for an entry level position in 2016 as a Software Developer.
I love programming for about a year, but I feel burned out. This shit gets really tedious sometimes.

it looks like homework since it prints otherwise useless shit to a standard output console

Most american programmers are not as smart as you think, however. The simple fact of the matter is, the population is on a bell curve and 90% of us are painfully average, and there are enough programming jobs that companies most certainly have to dip into that 90%. Every single high school kid for the past 10 years has learned html/javascript, receiving great praise for doing so. Many of them manage to snag a job working with salesforce, wordpress, or whatever else, and their shitty code is what makes the industry so incredibly miserable. Every line of shitty code has to be dealt with by someone from the top 10% at some point down the line, which means even if you are good, you are in for a miserable fucking time at least some of the time (often a lot of the time). Not to mention the woes of "le ebic agile project model"

>my garbage html and javascript is going to get me some small cash
thats all you had to tell me

What utter horse shit. You're still in college aren't you? Even python itself is used absolutely nowhere, and C/C++/Java/ANYTHING besides JavaScript is a shit recommendation these days. Companies do not give a single flying fuck about what specific languages you learn. There are hundreds of languages and every company uses a different one, and once you learned one, you can easily learn another in a couple weeks. I always laugh at the faggots fresh out of college who proudly list half a dozen or more languages on their resume. Absolute autism, zero idea how the computing world works these days

Attached: pepe_laughing.jpg (540x534, 67K)

the question is if you believe that's true

I am trying to get into ABAP, but it is very difficult to read it after C++.
I also work in web studio for 3 months, but they don't pay me. And I still work for them, because I know I am terrible code monkey.

It is true. I am , I work at a Salesforce consultancy, and the flaming-bag-of-shit code we churn out every day is really... idk what to even say. Seeing how this industry works, dealing with the retardation, it can truly induce brain cancer. By all means, learn Salesforce if you read this, and you will make money from it. You'll probably never get promoted very high if you're as stupid as the average programmer, but you'll make your $50k/year no doubt

>50k a year
if this is true i would do many lewd things to you for this information

I am a front end engineer. you might be able to get a job but you're going to need proof of what you can do, and it needs to be something better than a collection of shitty functions.

build something original, test it, and then do it again a few times until you have a portfolio of personal projects. create a personal website. then you have a chance of getting interviews.

also learn algorithms, computational complexity (Big Oh), software design patterns, and testing.

Yeah I interviewed a code boot camp guy recently for an mid-level developer position and i swear this guy couldn't write a fucking nested for loop. like the concept of a nested for loop was alien to him, he couldn't do it or even understand it.

speed only matters for specific business use cases, ie, if you want to write video games you should learn c++. but also you would likely want to have an actual CS education unless you are extremely dedicated, because otherwise your code will be designed like shit, and probably run slow and break.

if you want a decent chance of a job learn ruby on rails and jquery. you don't need to be educated to grasp that stuff.

companies generally use a specific set of languages and it's not like c++ is the god tier language that all companies are trying to write code in.

Attached: 1514173271586.png (409x325, 164K)

I fucking hate listening to stories like these, I'm half a competent c programmer and should be able to knock the average programming interview out of the park it seems. But I still never bother applying because my resume is a wasteland because I've been a neet for so long.

Thread is terrifying. Did a meme major in college, semi-intelligent, not Chad whatsoever, want to learn CS to get an actual job. Is this a stupid decision? Am I doomed to make $60K the rest of my life as some code money? Need help here bots

Could you give me an idea of what the computing industry does user?

An i vabned still?

Ditto.

>Did a meme major in college
>semi-intelligent
Pick one.

Attached: 1534244027897.png (1280x1942, 517K)

More likely you'll be doomed to work at Starbucks the rest of your life.

The third paragraph really doesn't ring true to me.

yeah probably. most bootcamps just teach you the basic shit to become a code monkey and then there really isn't a whole lot of progression past there

You know what I mean. Majored in chemistry, but that hasn't been a real field in 50 years. Need some actual advice here.

I'm working as a software developer at a startup company. It's very different than a well established company, though I've never worked at one of those, so I can't make many comparisons. I've been working at this company for just short of 3 years.

In my experience, I touch pretty much the entire code base. In my time at the company, I have worked with up to 5 interns, myself, and my manager, but for the past year or so, it has just been myself and my manager, and a 3 week period where we hired a team augmentation, which is basically a company of developers who sells your company dedicated devs for a period of time. Because of this, I have touched pretty much every part of the code base in my time here. Much of the work done by the interns has been redone by me as the needs of those components change slightly, and their work proved very inflexible, and ultimately low quality (though I'd say the same about the work I did the first year working there).

I work minimum 52 hours a week, and I'm salaried at 55k a year, and I own 2% of the company. I get a lot of freedom with my time at my office, though my deadlines are strict and I have to stay at the office until the work is done. Sometimes I post here or on facebook, or watch youtube videos at work. One time I had Jow Forums catalog open on one of my monitors while my boss was looking at some code on my other monitor that I was walking him through. He didn't give a shit about what I'm distracted by. I've been working on methods of avoiding distraction, though, so that I don't have to work late as often. I am expected to be available for phone conversations at all times, and I keep my laptop in my car when I'm not at the office in case I need to do impromptu work. Occasionally I have to postpone other plans to come in on a Saturday to put out a fire (which I can't complain about too much, since there is an 80% chance that I am personally responsible for typing any given line of code in the code base)

So these "$105K average starting salary" quotes are just memes?

But at least you sit in comfy office?

Gaps in experience can be explained, you might be surprised. There is an extreme scarcity of talent right now, and you might be able to get your foot in the door at a shitty company and work your way out and up to a mid-tier company in a few years.

If you are serious, do some personal projects that can be shared on a website and have some significant meat to them.

Practice doing interviews, practice answering why you have gaps in your resume and what interests you about software, challenging experiences you've had while building things, etc. Universities often have opportunities to do free practice interviews, especially during career fair events, etc.

Get a book like "cracking the coding interview" by gayle laakman or similar if you are worried about your ability to solve algorithms in an interview setting. I'll say, those algorithm type questions are quite rare from what I've seen. If you are just joining a consultancy or something, they might not even ask you to solve an algorithm question. Your recruiter contact should be able to tell you what to expect during the interview process.

Attached: 1488763405806.jpg (640x640, 105K)

Don't petrol chemists make bank? Also biochem.

those $105k average starting is only in bay area

>$55K to build an entire software enterprise for some alpha who drank and fucked his way through college

Programming is legitimately hell