Hey guys my dad wants to start lifting. He's 60 so I'm not sure what kind of routine to recommend...

Hey guys my dad wants to start lifting. He's 60 so I'm not sure what kind of routine to recommend. Like a strength routine? or a split? He is just trying to get in better shape to benefit him as he ages. He doesn't have any experience in sports and has never really been consistent about working out. This is the first time he's reached out to me and I've been lifting for 4+ years, so I'd like to help in any way I can. I feel it would be best to stay away from compounds, but who am I to say.

Cheers

Attached: images.png (220x188, 5K)

SS

Power to the People while using the deadlift and the bench press
Super Joints by Pavel
David Bolton Lost Secrets of a great body

SS + Gomad

No one here knows anything about your dads situation, try googling a program for elderly.

>Super Joints by Dr. Pavel.
I'm CIA.

I hear it's a good program, but you don't get to bring friends.

Well, I don't know what your Dad is looking for, but if you get him on board I'll call it in.

>60 years old
>want to START lifting
Make him roid or make him not lift, no inbetweens

Was getting your Dad into fitness part of your plan?

Attached: CIA.jpg (699x750, 39K)

put him through machines mostly. Dont make him do any deadlifts or squat since a back injury at 60 aint a joke.
40 mins workouuts 3 times a week plus some biking or hiking should be more than enough

>I feel it would be best to stay away from compounds
Opposite, check out The Barbell Prescription by Rippetoe/Baker

I started about that age.

1. Do 20 reps. That way you avoid injury. Also do supplementary exercises before starting to lift (pic refers).

2. Starting strength but skip the power clean and replace with bent over row. Add some abs (crunches not sit-ups).

3. Cardio once a week, HIIT but a) gradually build to it, b) ensure you warm up and cool down to avoid heart attack.

4. Walking 2-4 miles a day.

5. Add protein powder. At that age, protein needs go UP.

6. Check testosterone levels. If below 450 (US numbers) or 15 (rest of world) then he will need supplementation to get anywhere. I got nowhere at 320/10 for 3 years then went on TRT and lifts went up 30% in 6 months.

7. Start low and gradually increase lifts. Good form and don't increase weight until you can do 20 with good form.

8. Rest days twice a week.

9. Keep showing up!

Tell your Dad it is never too late.

Attached: exercises-preparation-supplementary_exercises_picture-81.jpg (650x650, 66K)

My dad loves kettlebells

>Dont make him do any deadlifts or squat since a back injury

Garbage it is all about weight and form.

I am that age and have had no injury problems in 6 years. The main thing apart from form is I do 20 reps. If you try to be a retard and do 1RM type lifts yes you will hurt yourself.

Start low and go up gradually, high reps and you will be fine.

References like that are funny for two posts tops, anything past that and it turns into a Reddit epic win, so please don't carry on because you're both out of line already

Machines are a great way to hurt yourself - you get extremely unbalanced strength development and can easily injure yourself in real life when using machines. Free weights create real world strength and resilience.

Cringe and bluepilled

Sneed

Tell him to fuck off. If you didn't start to think about your health in your 20s ya dun goofed

Trt, my dad started lifting at 53 and is on trt he is loving it

Please make sure your dad gets a medical check up before telling him to force himself physically

stretches... and SS

Stronglifts program has some lines about training for older people, you may find it interesting.