Thoughts on the potential of myostatin inhibitors...

Thoughts on the potential of myostatin inhibitors? Seems like a promising way to increase muscle mass without the negative side effects of hormones such as reduced natural production of test.

I don't think there's any real inhibitors at the moment just a lot of scams, but this study seems interesting. Since it's a biologic drug it would cost a ton, but there's certainly potential for a cheap small molecule inhibitor too.

academic.oup.com/jcem/article/99/10/3625/2836360

Attached: 1521338724360.png (222x227, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3857584/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1498/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4581601/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3835452/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3734823/
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213231718306888
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jcsm.12205
clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01925209
clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02573467
nature.com/articles/nrc775
fiercebiotech.com/biotech/novartis-breakthrough-muscle-drug-bimagrumab-flunks-a-late-stage-trial
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

if they discovered a myostatin inhibitor with no side effects, it would mean the end of traditional anabolic steroids and bugmen

supposedly eating massive amounts of cocoa powder helps

pro tip goy: there are plenty of those, you just wont hear about them

>pro tip goy: there are plenty of those
really? pls share

Are kids like these the only examples of positive genetic mutations

hey KID...read the end of my post. *sniff*

>you just wont hear about them

i wouldnt call it positive, people with explosive muscle growth like that tend to suffer a lot of injuries

>There are inhibitors of a endocrine negative feedbackloop with no negative effects
Do tell me more user, also I'd like to see your biochemistry and physiology certificate

Anything will have side effects. This study was only phase 1, so the results must be taken with a grain of salt due to the small sample size.

There's a lot of potential for these drugs, so I'm sure Amgen other pharma companies or other companies are working on a variety of inhibitors, some small molecule, some biologic. It's almost certain that an inhibitor exists or can be designed though, just a matter of how much resources are funneled to it.

you can see my assfucking your mom certificate kid, go fuck yourself. *sniff*

Yeah, I wouldn't want the mutation, but an inhibitor would let you selective alter your levels. An interesting implication is whether heterozygous mutations confer additional muscle growth, but I don't know if there's any data on that.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3857584/

Attached: 1231316456468989789.jpg (111x89, 3K)

This review claims heterozygotes have more muscle mass, but I'm not going to scour for the raw data.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1498/

Get fucked
There have been ways to inhibit Myostatin production as well as free myostatin for years now, brainlet.
Turns out it also leads to muscular degeneration over time, turns out kicking your growthfactor into overdrive also has side effects in nature
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4581601/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3835452/

Attached: 1493665757413.png (337x441, 86K)

>Impact: 2.65

Attached: trashman.jpg (832x584, 84K)

Mice ≠ Humans

Also if we're talking about its use as a supplement for healthy people, whether or not it accelerates genetic disorders like muscular dystrophy is largely irrelevant.

>Literally induces Apoptosis
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3734823/

I get it, you're looking for a miracle
Believe me, Myostatin-inhibitors aren't it

Also
>Thinks fucking with one of the major regulatory systems of muscular growth as well as cell death is a good idea

Just go on Test, Tren, Clen or Dbol if you're looking for chemical help, at least they have been somewhat tested

Nope, people with really dense bones, to the point that they don't break in most accidents that would cause it, people's skin that more resistant to electricity, people who only need 6 hours of sleep, and those SEA people that can hold their breath longer than 10 minutes while seeing far better than most while diving are also exist in real life.

-Cancer cells, so apoptosis is good....

If you're claiming that myostatin inhibition causes cancer that requires a lot more evidence to back up. Taking HeLa cells and adding myostatin is a pretty poor representation of what goes on in the human body. Similar to how every total synthesis "shows activity against cancer cells", because human cell culture is so delicate that adding any random additive is pretty likely to kill the cells.

But I will throw you a bone, there are clinical trials running right now, that started a bit over a year ago
You will get your answers soon enough
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jcsm.12205
clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01925209
clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02573467

Look for BYM338 or Bimagrumab if you want more info, it's a specifically designed antibody that inhibits Myostatin

>Thinks this pathway will only be active in cancer cells

I'd really like to see your biochemistry coursework

Hormones are master regulators, so they fuck with things even more, including the myostatin pathway. Ideally, we can directly target only muscle growth, and myostatin is closer to that than steroids. Although true, they are tested more.

I'm not planning to go on anything, more interested in the potential and new discoveries.

Cancer cells usually have a host of mutations in apoptosis pathways because a properly functioning cell would undergo apoptosis before it becomes cancerous, that's sort of the point of apoptosis. I don't know about HeLa's in particular, but in my opinion it's a pretty terrible model.

Not that it doesn't show anything, just that it is in no way conclusive for or against the potential of these drugs.

You're misunderstanding my point
If Myostatin Inhibitors caused cancer they wouldn't induce apoptosis.
But if they induce apoptosis they are likely to also induce apoptosis in healthy cells due to the increased stress from continous growth signalling.

You are aware that some of the signals for inducing apoptosis is nutrient deficency as well as growth stress?
Both happen during uncontrolled growth due to cancer as well as, ding ding ding, runaway growth due to myostatin inhibitors.

Again: Nice Idea, but there's no way it will work and leave you healthy

Attached: 1531209270201.jpg (550x512, 34K)

Owned

gorillas live to 40 so that’s the trade off you make I guess

The most likely side effects from this would prolly be a higher risk of cancer

Take what I’m going to write next with a grain of salt

What Myostatin does is primarily control and limit muscle growth so that supposedly it doesn’t go out of control, it goes into the bloodstream since it’s a hormone and slows muscle growth, the level of Myostatin also tends to increase overtime with age.

What also happens as we age is the telomerase, which is the genetic material at the end of chromosomes decreases over time and eventually it gets to the point that cells tend to deteriorate as they multiply over time due to the cell cycle which is what leads to aging.

And so putting 2 and 2 toghether it’s safe to assume that if Myostatin inhibitors are taken then there’s an increased chance that muscle growth could get out of control and potentially increase the risk of muscle cancer breaking out.

It's technically not a hormone, it's a cytokine. But yes your reasoning is correct.

God if it wasn’t for that I’d be all over that shit though

The study you linked examines the effect of myostatin on cells, not myostatin inhibitors. If you're going to cite something, read it first.

Also, if it was never going to work, I don't think that multiple pharma companies would be investing heavily in developing inhibitors. I'm sure they have their eyes on the supplement market as well. Just like EPO was developed to treat anemia, but made billions because of its use as a doping agent. Pharma companies see this, and they can extrapolate to see that if they develop an effective myostatin inhibitor, they'll make a huge profit from athletes and bodybuilders on top of treating muscle wasting diseases.

Didn't they say the same thing about SARMs?

Then we found out it gives you cancer

Definitely possible

google liz parrish

Well that, and what I said here I don't want my cells to die
>Can't apply basic logic to the effects of inhibitors based on what the actual protein does

Wow, guess you're shit at logic then
Do you know what a knockout is?
>Mstn KO induced apparent changes in the morphology of mitochondria where they transformed from filamentous to dot-shaped (Fig. 6A). These dot-shaped mitochondria were also apparent in cells during apoptosis [29] or under metabolic stress-induced cell death

Lack of myostatin literally fucks with your mitochondria and induces celldeath.
Pic related is me right now

Attached: 0e8.jpg (1024x595, 69K)

>But muh HeLa is unreliable

It's still the gold standard you fucking faggot
nature.com/articles/nrc775

Attached: 1394999870067.jpg (380x250, 28K)

They claim myostatin causes apoptosis. You have myostatin in your body, so your cells are dying already, likely to prevent cancer. Myostatin inhibitors would reduce apoptosis.

The conclusion of this paper is that myostatin inhibition could increase risk of cancer. Also I would point out that rather than studying cell culture, there are humans and animals with natural myostatin knockouts, and they're much better subjects for study.

That's ludicrous. Cellular stability is produced by genetic expression, which is relying on nutrition. Vitamin C and an antibiotic (that has a natural analog) is already regulating this forward with huge results. With how effective getting abundant nutriments is, that's the best theory for simple biological health.

>demographics and science with controls

>[telomeres]
This is having nutrient components also – omega 3s are benefiting telomere lengths.

Furthermore, protein (the second most abundant item in the body, only to water) amounts are very correlative with heights; vitamin C is evidenced as minimally effective at .1% of water (.378 g / gal.) for lifespans and QoL. …

Attached: Vitamin C - bordered.png (700x620, 121K)

>They claim myostatin causes apoptosis.
No they claim the exact opposite you fucking mouthbreathing tard
>3.6. Mstn KO triggered mitochondria-dependent apoptosis in HeLa cells
>In sum, these results demonstrate that mitochondria are involved in Mstn-deficiency induced HeLa cell apoptosis.

>The conclusion of this paper is that myostatin inhibition could increase risk of cancer

AGAIN, THEY SAY THE EXACT OPPOSITE
>Given the influential functions of Mstn, we suggest that loss of Mstn could be a useful tool for fighting cancer

Are you braindamaged?

>Also I would point out that rather than studying cell culture, there are humans and animals with natural myostatin knockouts
>Random animals
Not scientifc
>Knockout Mutants
Literally doing that right now, no difference to what I already said
>Random Humans
Not scientifc
>Knockout mutant humans to get a actual control groups
Have fun getting this through the ethics commission

Yeah, I'm still talking about this one: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1498/

If you want to present more research that directly opposes your original claim that's fine by me.

Woops, meant this one: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3734823/

Also calm down for fuck's sake. People are throwing around NCBI links like god damn grenades.

>Doesn't understand that absence as well as upregulation of a cyotkine can fuck with the same mechanism, resulting in Apoptosis as well as cancer depending on the time of effect and dose

Did you even finish highschool?
I'm gonna go to sleep now because I'm done discussing this shit with a retard who doesn't understand basic endocrine systems, have fun though.

Just wait for the fucking Bimagrumab clinical trials and you'll get your definitive answers anyway
Though I wouldn't hold my breath
fiercebiotech.com/biotech/novartis-breakthrough-muscle-drug-bimagrumab-flunks-a-late-stage-trial

Attached: 1531894828813.jpg (225x225, 5K)

It's photoshopped. The kid is not that jacked