/omg/

another user had this idea in a /deenz/ thread, and I thought it was a good idea to start, mostly for people to get some good nutrition advice and alternative recipes that have been passed down that are also Jow Forums.

TRADITIONAL FOODS/ OLD MAN'S FOODS GENERAL:
>post recipes from older times that are simple and Jow Forums approved, ask your grandmother and start a fkn recipe book with whatever they tell you/an user posts.
>post macros as accurately as you can, but try to keep it to traditional and accessible.

The amount of cooking skill among most Western people I know is fucking decrepid. I'm a culinary school student and really appreciate the way cooks bring out really great flavours, especially using organic fresh ingredients, but there is nothing better than the food your nanna used to make you at six years old. So here's my first recipe, simple and packed full of good stuff:

OSSO BUCCO AND DARK ALE STEW:

>Ingredients: 2kg Osso Bucco (or other semi fatty beef cut), 375ml can of dark ale (Guinness), 500ml jar of pickled onions with 3/4 the pickling vinegar, 10 sprigs of thyme, 1.5tbsp crushed garlic (use fresh if you can), a few splashes of a dry red, sherry or tawny and a sachet of tomato paste.

Tie up the beef in string with the thyme and some salt. Combine everything else inside your crockpot or oven, and sit the beef inside the juices (feel free to add any vegetable you like, this is just the base recipe, I suggest silverbeet and parsnip). 140 degrees for 5-6 hours, or on high in your slow cooker for 8 hours. Cut the string ties and make sure your pieces and flaky but chunky and let it sit in the mixture for a few minutes before serving with mash potato or just by itself.

The alcohol is cooked off so don't worry, plus the carb count is low with protein high. Try it out and post your own, and even ask cooking questions! -T

Attached: deenz.png (674x512, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_iron_steak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

140 Celcius is 285 Fahrenheit*

>go to butcher
>ask for cow tongue
>cut off garbage parts
>slow cook
>mmmn tender beef.

Cow's tongue is honestly one of those superior cuts my grandmother served me as a kid. Liver and kidneys and the other "cheaper" parts are great but something about the tongue just feels mighty. It's just too fatty to be having as the main meat component of a dish very often.

its pretty good. It looks fucking gross though when you first buy it.
>its a tongue

Definitely a mental barrier for most people. Sometimes with darker colouration and not just a flawless pink people get grossed out but that's their loss.

bump for interest

Attached: 1547418037110.jpg (640x360, 82K)

OP here, I'm gonna hit up my great grandmother and grandmother for some recipes, as well as the Greek mothers in my cooking school and I'll put a few good recipes up in the next thread :)

I don't know if this is a specifically Slav thing but I grew up with something called 'bitki', 'bit' being part of the word "beat" and 'ki' being an ending used to refer to something small/cute in the plural, e.g. 'detki' being "children".

Anyways, you beat small slabs of pork with a hammer to make it tender, then you fry it in a liquid made of I think eggs, milk, and pulverized bread. Don't know the specific recipe. Thought I'd add it in case someone does.

Dude I know how to make some old school shit.
>buy lambs head
>place in pot
>apple cider vinegar
>cook all day
>take bones out
>add whatever you like for flavor
bam you have some good soup right there. Add potatoes or onions or whatever you like. I personally like to put salcha in mine to make it spicey with some garlic.

In America that is french toast except we use lard and not actual pork. We also use bread and not bread crumbs.

salcha is pepper paste.

OP, is picture related you?

it goes without daying that oats and dried beans are Jow Forums approved.

>flat iron steak
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_iron_steak

consider flat iron steak its less expensive and pretty good if its cut as two steaks.

Attached: isthisyou.png (1822x575, 521K)

Not me but I thought of starting it because of them

God that sounds good, I think I’ll try and make a rough recipe of that and put it in an attached file for the next thread. Thanks!

Thanks! If you have a recipe drop it in and I’ll compile it

Just remembered something. Not so much recipe as boomer wisdom from a family friend. When you grill meat, take it off a tiny bit early and put it into a pot filled with a little bit of water and let it stew a bit. This way the meat is way more joocy even if you don't put it on the table immediately.

50% of old school diets were root vegetables

this is just kotlety

I've got some recipes that I'll post in a seperate thread tomorrow. Gonna make a Jow Forums nutrition n cooking thread since half of us dont know how to feed ourselves

Nah nah nah man, kotleti is fried ground beef+ground onion+ground bread

tfw I want to cook with wine but I'm 19 so I can only buy some shitty "cooking wine"