I have a friend who's been lifting for over 5 years that warned me not to do squats because there's a high chance I'll...

I have a friend who's been lifting for over 5 years that warned me not to do squats because there's a high chance I'll tear my shit up after a while. He told me when he was squatting with good form, ass to grass, he tweaked a ligament in his knee that healed when he stopped squatting and started doing leg press only. I'm a beginner but I've told him that nearly everyone in the fitness community thinks squats are the best exercise for legs but he doesn't agree. Who should I listen to?

Attached: tmp_RpEr3q_e9f9f45bd9a0e147_GettyImages-1003515392.jpg (2048x3082, 826K)

Not to mention hernias

Just do front squats, they are better in every possible way for the muscles involved.

Sounds like he was using more weight than he could handle and fell down to the bottom which fucked his knees.
Or he got stuck in the bottom and accidently put pushed on one leg to get up.

5 years of lifting says nothing, whats hes overall experience with Squats? Did he do powerlifting? Have he teached Squats to others? Have he been strength training for 5 years?

I got 10 years of experience and the first 4 years were mostly bro sience lifting with buddies kind of lifting.

Don't they hurt your fucking wrists? Also, mechanically, it's the same motion so why wouldn't the risk of messing up your knee still be present?

Big mechanical difference between front squat, high bar squat and low bar squat

The rippetoe squat is pretty soft on the knees

I wasn't there when he messed up his knee so I can't say but I was around when he used to squat and he had pretty good form. He watched a lot of Canditob training videos on form and stuff and he's not a big egolifter so I don't think that was the case.

> my friend vs. the entirety of the fitness community

>Jow Forums is a fitness community

>fit actually lifts
Yeah no
I just come here to shitpost
My brother with 3 years experience is my real coach

>rippetoe squat
>someone I train with and knows a lot about training vs. a bunch of guys on the internet spewing broscience

They can if you do them with that weird retarded crossfit TRex arm form.
If you do the crossbody hold, with your right hand on left shoulder and vise versa its not bad at all.
They will get your quads and abs big and ripped.

A good reason to not listen to him and form your own opinion by being better than him at the squat.

I'm assuming you're the guy who's can been lifting for ten years, what's the best advice you can give to someone on avoiding injury?

In my case, squats exposed existing problems with flexibility, mobility, and muscular imbalances. They didn't cause them.

I suggest you do squats, but if you start having pains or aches (other than muscular), back off and try to sort out what is causing it.

Lifting is something you ideally do for life. Don't fuck your body up by being impatient.

I used to squat all the time and was doing working sets with 315lbs for sets of 8-10 reps. Also my max was 405lbs ass to grass. One day warming up put on 225lbs and tore my outer quad mid set. Felt like someone stabbed me and every since then I can’t keep it healthy. It heals up after a couple of months and I work back up in weight and boom tear it again. Last time it happened I couldn’t walk up stairs normally for a week. So yea fuck squats.

GIB BETTY GF NOWWW

Attached: pink apu.jpg (750x546, 147K)

Never post on this board again. Srs

>tore a quad
>fine after a week
Nigga if you tore your quad you'd be in a wheelchair for a few months and never squat again

your friend did not squat with good form

Tell me why I felt something tear and my leg was bruised for a month the first time it happened then.

>muh wrists
bitch spotted

Yes that's still me replying.

Best advice?
Join a powerlifting/Olympic lifting gym for 1 year.

Semi-best advice?
Research as much about lifting as you can and test everything out yourself.

Best advice while being in the gym?
Go light and go slow BUT explosive.
Find a program and stick with it for 3-4 month to learn the basics.
Do not stay at the gym for over 1 hour, this does not involve warming up / stretching before hitting the weightroom.

Check out "Agile 8" on youtube for stretching/warmup.

And remember, this will take you years.
Good luck.

Attached: ebe345c87911781b870915289b66df1e.jpg (480x360, 22K)

I'm in this position. Always had an issue with the ligament on my right knee (inside, just left of the kneecap), did squats for a few months then something tweaked and I can't do squats without pain now. I'm just going to increase volume on other leg exercises and will start cycling again too.

I just want to add:
YOU WILL GET HURT

After 10 years i've fucked up both shoulders, right pec, lower back 5 times, left leg.

Sauce

lili reinhart

why didn’t you ask the fucking doctor

My takeaway on the Rippetoe is low bar, low chest, sumo stance.
Is this correct? And any other pointers?

Appreciated user