Hey fit

Hey fit,
I am applying to join the RAF and that requires me to be able to run 2.4km (1.5 miles) in a little over 11 minutes.
I'm not overweight, but horrendously out of shape due to being a robot and skelly for a few years.
How do I increase aerobic capacity?

Also anything armed forces related I guess. Are there any other guys on fit in the RAF?

Attached: RAF-flyover-983199.jpg (590x350, 35K)

I forgot to ask, but would lifting weights for lower body be useful for running?

for sprinting yes - for distance probably not

>Requires running
>To sit on a seat in a plane

What did they mean by this?

Ausfag leaving for army basic soon here, also looking for running tips can barely meet the times

Run hills listening to Rocky music

That's not very hard user. To get better at running I would suggest running.

can you just become a pilot with no other experience? like if you are a high school dropout?

literally just run
get a tracking app, like mapmyrun or strava, and just start running. run a little farther or faster each time you go. do it 2-3x/week.

You need to be doing your 1.5 miler in 10 or less to get on an intake within a year of selection, also don't forget there's an almost 1 mile warmup run before the actual test

Just run, cycle and (machine) row lots, got my fat arse in shape

RUN MORE
FUCKING RETARDS

Not op, also not raf but I looked into it a while back.
All 3 branches have some form of aviation. RAF has jets, surveillance planes, big drones and chinook choppers. In general they require a degree, and you have to commission, and it's mentally competitive.
Royal navy has marine transport choppers and subbunters. They'll get the new jet, what's it called the all-in-one one I forget. They sold their harriers to fund the new aircraft carrier, so our navy has a carrier with no aircraft. Says it all really.
The army has apache choppers in the army air corps. You can commission directly as a pilot with a degree, or you can enlist on the corps doing something else like groundcrew and presumably suck your CO's cock for a spot on the pilot training as an SNCO. So to my knowledge that's the omly way you can become a pilot in the BAF without a degree.
I'm ignoring the fact that you can technically commission without a degree (and only get paid half that of your educated colleagues) because fixed wing pilot in RAF is so competitive you have fat fuck all chance of getting in without one.

Oh my God you're not even in the chair force yet but you sure have the pussie attitude. Fucking put some effort in it's retarded easy to run 2.4 in under 11

better start training

pham, you might need to take a whole year and train if you are that out of shape. Even if you get far in 3 months and then join you are only going to push yourself more if/when you get in and you'll just end up with an injury.

Or don't listen to me and get an injury, its not like i saw 100s of people get medical discharges for pt related injures. idgaf

Do they not do the bleep test anymore?
Also what role and commissioned or not??

Hmm how do i improve running?
Maybe RUN
>Source = ADF Infantry

Are you guys trying to say that to run more I need to run more? It sounds like you’re lying. Running couldn’t possibly the solution to needing to run more. SURELY you’re mistaken about me needing to run more to improve my running.

OP here, it was late in the UK so I went to sleep
How come everybody's so salty and just saying to run more? That's obvious, I just didn't want to waste my time when there could be a more efficient way of increasing aerobic capacity.

They do that as well as a fun

You need good cardio to be a pilot, when shit hits the fan you need to be able to keep your brain oxygenated while pulling lots of G’s.

I can do that in 10 minutes on a bad day.

Do a timed session of a 1.5mi (2.4 for you ausfag) and break it into chunks.

Fellow ausfag, if you suck that much at running:

Warm up.
Run 1.2km in 5 mins.
Break
Run 1.2km in 5 mins.
Break
Run 4x600, 2:30 per 600.
Cooldown. Stretch. Drink water.

Get used to running at that pace.

Once you've gotten used to that pace, just do it for the 2.4.

Not ausfag but thanks for the advice.

Sadly, this. Run and run and run and run and run your fucking ass off as much as you possibly can as many times a week, twice a day if possible.

2.4 km in 9 or 10 minutes isn't even that hard. Just start running now and by the time you have to qualify you should be fine