Depression

Just how do you guys cope up with debilitating depression? Lost my job, my closest friends have turned on me and I'm always feeling down whenever I'm alone or by myself. I do have a girlfriend I can relate to and a family by my side but it hurts to be like this when I haven't done anything wrong. I've been browsing Jow Forums as a means of outlet but at the end of the day, you just reflect that you've wasted your time doing nothing. What do you guys do to battle such things as depression and degeneracy of the world at the same time? Feels hopeless.

>inb4 an hero
>inb4 kill urself

I'm not at that stage yet. Not even taking meds because they should be taken as a last resort when you're about to lose your mind.

Attached: 1444557413318.jpg (600x400, 15K)

>I do have a girlfriend I can relate to and a family by my side

Hidden.

If you think life is all about pussy then you have a lot of growing up to do.

I've been through a lot, but i still cringe at myself thinking ive been a civilian all my life and never been in actual danger, and then theres homeless people too. The fact that you are able to sit at home and have internet means you still haven't hit rock bottom.

Attached: 8ZHnAuh.jpg (576x600, 106K)

>have internet
>what are public libraries?
>what is public wifi?
Anyone can have internet in this day and age even homeless people. Doesn't really mean jack shit

>never been in actual danger
By your logic, people who are abused emotionally or psychologically have no right to complain because they aren't in any physical danger.

Thank God you aren't in any way, shape or form a counselor or an "expert" who people turn to for advice. As for the OP, you need to sort yourself and get yourself together before things get worse. I have been through a lot and it's morons like this guy who just whisk off your problems that make things harder than what they really are. Find out the root cause of your depression because chances are it didn't just immediately pop out of the blue. Also get a therapist. Depression is a battle going on in the mind and you're not going to get better by ignoring it. Trust me, things aren't going to get any better if you continue to ignore your problems. Depression saps your energy and motivation more than anything else and there lies the danger. You are out of a job and you don't want to do anything because of those negative thoughts.

Sexual intimacy is one our most basic of human needs. Without it one can never feel the contentment of self-actualization. Life is not all about pussy, but in the vast vast majority of cases a man CANNOT be content/happy without it.

Attached: Maslow.png (900x589, 157K)

>ignores the second half of the sentence.

Do you know the secret to depression?
IT's the fact you can't appreciate what you have.
There are people out there that are orphans, they fought for their fucking meal.
>don't just pull the card someone had a harder life, they aren't relevant, doesn't change my feelings

DEPRESSION is just INCOMPETENCE of seeing what you HAVE.
If you are depressed, and you have things, you are actually a braindead whiner.

Clarification: DEPRESSION is a FUCKING MEME for MOST PEOPLE

Attached: 1541358300788.png (789x750, 18K)

>Muh "I have bigger problems suck em up" argument
Literal nigger mindset. "HEY DAWG I HAVE POPOS COMING UP TO ME AND SEARCHING ME AND SHIET! YOU SHOULD COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS COZ YOU AINT SUFFERING LIKE ME DAWG NOE WHAT AM SAYIN'?"

>depression is a mindset. just think it away and it will go away
Jesus Christ this brainlet. You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Attached: brainlettttt.jpg (800x450, 41K)

>your gf hasn't dumped you after this
she sounds amazing, make it your goal to not let her down maybe? maybe that would serve as a source of strength

I try to stay as healthy as possible so I excercise and stay in shape but most days I get high and escape into a fantasy land to escape my cruel reality

Very few people on Jow Forums are depressed. Depression is an abnormal thought pattern leading to negative feelings, outlook and perceptions regardless of the actual circumstances. If someone for instance was say, diagnosed with malignant terminal cancer, the existential dread they felt wouldn't be depression, because that's a valid and appropriate response to such a bad event, to such negative stimuli.

Most people on Jow Forums don't have depression, they have bad lives. They're all having the appropriate and normal emotional responses to their circumstances, it's just that their circumstances are bad so their responses are perpetually negative the same way someone with depression's are.

Most robots are basically "false positive" depression flags. One of the items on the Beck depression index for instance is "I believe that I am very ugly". That's a level 3 response to the question "how do you perceive yourself?" And the higher your score the more likely you are to be depressed. But robots would give that answer because most of them are very ugly, they don't merely feel that way due to abnormal thinking and perception patterns. This is also where CBT's failure rate comes from. When people attempt to identify distortions and use rationality to dispel them, only to learn that the "distortion" is true, it dramatically reinforces it and leaves the person worse off than if they'd never done CBT in the first place.

Attached: 1497646753646.jpg (1024x1024, 97K)

What defines if you have a bad life? most of r9k is upper or middle class, living a better life then 99.9% of the world yet their life is still shit? You're a dumbass

You're right about what depression is, when you say it's the incompetence of seeing what one has. Incompetence is never a choice. Why do you think it's whining to show sadness about something bad that's happened to you which was completely out of your control?

That was an interesting read. Can you talk more about CBT failure? I was thinking about going to a therapist since so many people say to seek help

ITT: Armchair psychologists trying to project here

We truly love each other. That's the only thing that's actually keeping me off the edge.

>Why do you think it's whining to show sadness about something bad that's happened to you which was completely out of your control?
Because crabs in a bucket user. Retards like that think having a moment of weakness is grounds for them not to be heard or having their problems downplayed. People like those are 100% guaranteed also misers and loners. Guess misery loves company.

See Most people on r9k cannot be happy/content, because they are socially inept, which result in them not getting sexual intimacy, which means they can't achieve self-actualization.

Just because their lives are better than others, doesn't mean they aren't shit. Let's say we have two meals. One of them consists of 20% shit and the other of 100% shit. One is much more tolerable than the other, but they are both fucking awful.

CBT is a therapy based on the promotion of self awareness and the identification of "distortions", which are incorrect perceptions of the world. There's several different subclasses of perceptions such as worst case scenario thinking, where obviously you assume to worst. The names of the specific distortion types can vary based on the source. Another is egocentric, or center of attention thinking. A classic example would be hearing a stranger laughing, and immediately assuming they're laughing at you.

CBT is a very general type of therapy that's employed for several different mental conditions, especially used on patients with a nonspecific condition but poor life outlook. Its results are usually mixed and the outcome varies a lot. But CBT has something like a 20% result of worsening the situation.

This is because CBT does not have a method for dealing with the possibility that the distortions are true. A socially awkward individual or a constantly picked on individual may try employing CBT only discover for instance; everyone really doesn't like them and that it's not all in their head everyone is laughing at them. When the therapy fails because it doesn't have a good system for confronting uncomfortable truths like this, the user deteriorates further.

It's actually a common thread among most metacognition based therapies like "mindfulness", where the system doesn't acknowledge the possibility things can be as bad as the user thinks they are.

The fact that you've identified causes for why you feel depressed is a good thing. Things are shit now but you know what you need to do to get better. Might take a while but there's light at the end of the tunnel for you. Stay strong, buddy. You'll make it through.

Thank you. It pisses me off when people (including therapists) dismiss my anxiety as just an irraitonal part of my disorder when my anxieties have often been completely logical and true. It seems like a lot of people can't tell the difference between anxiety caused by discomfort and anxiety caused by knowing the facts in front of you.

If it's due to low self esteem then you gotta get get to get self esteem and confidence in yourself that to my knowledge is the key to the cure or an alternative cure

Attached: image.jpg (1440x1802, 460K)

You dumb ass nigga don't you have imagination? Are you really that autistic? M8 just fap sex with a girl doesn't equal love and you won't feel loved

>Work ass off
>Get good career, money, friends, qt gf, etc.
>Still cripplingly depressed
>Can't see a psych because I have to disclose sealed med records in my career and wouldn't be able to get a promotion or change companies

Fuck me up senpai.

I often feel the same way that does, I don't feel like I have anything to complain about because when compared to homeless people and soldiers, my life is fairly easy.

>tfw your lifelong depression has manifested into anger and ahedonia
>these aren't the typical symptoms of depression people think of so people give even less of a shit about cutting you some slack
>there's apparently nothing you can really do to fix that kind of depression and medication is ineffective at treating it
>I'm basically never going to shake it and there's nothing I or anyone else can do to fix it