Are you Jow Forums enough to have fought in an ancient army?

Are you Jow Forums enough to have fought in an ancient army?

Attached: 6946A003-3953-453C-B19C-E56BE002A17C.jpg (2968x1084, 164K)

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/7841459-alexander-the-great
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Spartans didn’t look like they do in 300. People were as strong as you’d get from doing physical labor all your life, which is less than structured weightlifting

I read a really good Biography on Alexander the Great recently. Really made me appreciate how smart his Father was. Alexander him self was a bit of an idiot. His success was largely on the back of the hard work his father put in to build up the alliances, army, and wealth needed for him to go to war.

He wasn't that great a leader. In the end his own troops rebelled against him. Not to say he wasn't an amazing human being from a historical perspective but reality of his life isn't nearly as magical as anime led me to believe.

Science disagrees with the both of you.

Attached: J5gHIPe.png (1545x422, 73K)

I think the important thing was not attending Gymnasium was punishable by a fine in most ancient Greek cities. If you read Aristotle's work on Politics he outlines the system pretty well.

They also actually did cardio though

ancient warrior cunts were manlets, I'de probably be considered a giant to them

From what I've read, he was a better commander than a leader, and couldn't hold land as well as he could take it

Plato was a well known wrestler, and Plato was the nick name the coach gave him meaning broad.

He had very good generals. He was a shit commander. He would rush in with calvary and narrowly avoid dying in almost every engagement. And since had no real "2nd" in command since he was worried about mutiny since his troops didn't like him much he would put his generals against one another (Mixing the Greek generals with his Persian generals). The result was all his Generals would have to constantly worry about him dying leaving the entire army and empire in total anarchy.

His success is a testament to the amazing discipline of the Greeks and his Father setting things up for him. In my opinion. I think it's hard to draw a real conclusion with Alexander because a lot of his history was warped become myth after his death.

But we do know he was disliked by his Greek generals since ultimately they rebelled against him and he was forced to leave India before he finished his desired conquest.

Alexander’s closest bodyguard was 6’5. Alexander was 5’5.

When the Persian King Darius mother was captured by the Greeks she thought the 6’5 bodyguard was Alexander when they first met and she went straight to him assuming he wa Alexander.

Not even Alexander was immune to being height mogged. Imagine that, you literally just destroy the Royal Army of King Darius, king of kings, biggest empire in the world, and you get instantly height mogged.

Alexander laughed this off, and then Darius’ mother told Alexander she wishes he was her son, and that Darius is a faggot.

Hrm yes i'm sure this very specific event is historically accurate

It actually happened, Alexander’s own historian wrote it. Unironcally enough the historian who wrote that a few years later was charged with conspiracy to murder Alexander and jailed and died in jail.

Now I know that latter part but I've read lot of Biographies on Ancient Greeks with a focus on Alexander and never came across that bit. I think you should take anything that specific with a big grain of salt though. One of Alexander's historians from the epoch wrote about the man transforming into a lion

Is it so hard to believe Alexander’s main personal bodyguard was tall?

He even saved Alexander in their first battle by cutting off the arm of a Persian Noble Cavalryman who was about to btfo Alexander.

I forgot to mention Alexander’s historian who got jailed for conspiracy to murder, Alexander’s 6’5 bodyguard was also part of it and got executed.

So manlets win in the end

My fav story about Alexander is the Accountant who robbed like a billion current money in gold took a ship and fled to Athens as a refugee. Athenians refused to turn him over because they hated Alexander for taking their independence away but were really scared of him fucking them up. Pretty cool story and it's more certain to be historically accurate since it's was written about both by Athenian and Persian historians.

No. What is hard to believe is any account of actual dialogue that occurred. Even super broad strokes shit like the place in which large scale engagements occurred is up for debate. It's hard to believe a bit of banter would be recorded so flawlessly when we don't even know the locations of some of the famous battles.

Greek history from 800BC to 200BC is literally Game of Thrones tier. I’m not sure why there isn’t a GOT like series of it. Although GOT takes tons of stuff from it. George RR Martin has a hard on for Greek history.

>he was a shit commander
>proceeds to explain why he was a bad leader
Alexander was unquestionably a great commander. His decision-making in the planning of engagement was impeccable. As you said, he had great generals, but he had to weigh their input against each other and make a decision himself. Listening to your advisors while being able to choose the best option from several good options are indicative of great commanding. As for his close encounters, leading the front line had great motivational effect on his army, shaping the 'myth' of Alexander. His troops genuine belief in his abilities greatly enhanced morale, which came to be the deciding factor in close battles. Taking risks and leading by example was crucial in this.

I agree with your other points, as a leader he was mediocre at best (he clearly hated politics) and Phillip undoubtedly laid in the groundwork for his succes. But don't pretend like he was a moron with an army and good generals.

Have you read a Biography on him? A good commander does not race into battle face first. His tactics were just standard Greek tactics hones over generations of fighting. I don't think it's fair to give him credit for that.

And leading at the front is what caused the general unease in his ranks, It was not motivational. He was counseled numerous times to cut that shit out

The Romans held Alexander in higher regard than all Roman Emperors, infact Alexander and Caesar were considered “Gods” in the Greek/Roman world.

Yes, Mythology has that effect. Doesn't change the reality that his own soldiers mutinied against him.

That’s just Greeks being Greeks. Alexander tried to adopt Persian-style Kingship and the Greeks told him to fuck off with that shit and he backed down lmao.

He'd still wear the traditional Persian tiara much to the chagrin of his Generals. He really did fancy him self a Persian emperor which pissed off his Greek generals. In the end. I think he was an interesting figure but I think his father was far more interesting and doesn't get much spot light

> science disagrees with you
> posts Jow Forums post with no sources

Attached: FC189630-08BA-41C1-B281-10902BE52D0C.jpg (219x333, 4K)

>Have a read a biography on him
no
>Have I read a lot about classical warfare
yes, and I believe that has greater external validity than reading a single book.

I'm talking about symbolic value here user. You view things too rigidly.
>a good commander does not race into battle face first
True, but what if that symbolic gesture rallies his men, turning the tides of battle? You completely neglect the psychological aspects of leadership.

I don't think you are strictly wrong, but you make this up to be too black and white. It reads like babbys first book on classical warfare.

>his tactics were just standard Greek tactics honed over generations
You are implying that only innovation has merit here. You give absolute no credit to his actual implementation of said tactics. You think commanding is just about looking in the "Greek Warfare for Dummies" and just going "lol phalanx advance"? The tactics had been shaped, but putting them to use is what constitutes a great general. I give him great credit for his implementation of established Greek tactics, because it was, in fact, great.

Was he rash? yes
Was he a moron who charged in head first? well no, you don't live that long in that case.

This post is not meant as an insult btw, I like discussing these things. But please try to view history from a more nuanced perspective

>no
k

Attached: 1527067128800.png (1200x1080, 1.08M)

>you don't live that long in that case.
Hmmmmmm
HMMMMMMM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

>nice arguing lads

Attached: Smug Kazak.jpg (946x929, 624K)

i mean if someone just comeso ut and tell me "no i havent read anything about this historical figure" its hard to argue seriously. Fortunately Alexander was not reckless and lived to a ripe old a......

Attached: 1528106203737.png (649x239, 45K)

He died from alcohol poisoning, which they said was a flu, but it was prob brought on by a binge

The man was wading through swamps and jungle shit in India before his troops finally told him to fuck off. He narrowly avoided dying in combat multiple times. Once an arrow grazed his head knocking him unconscious and ripping his helmet off. His generals thought he was dead for several hours and the entire army almost fell into Anarchy before he recovered. He was reckless. He did cool shit. He was a cool figure. But he was reckless.

Dude i dont know why you keep bringing up the mutiny.

That has nothing to do with him being a great commander and the very close relationship he had with his troops and generals.

Read plutarch.

The mutiny was just because alexander had pushed them too far. he had already won so much, they were tired and hungry and homesick and wanted some of the spoils of war. and alexander understood and so he compromised. you are promoting a false narrative

>The mutiny
There were multiple. Thus why he began to increase the amount of Persians in his forces to keep the Greeks in check. It's something we know for a historical fact, of which there are few, which is why I bring it up. It's very telling of his character and his relationship with his soldiers.

Soldiers that love and admire their commander do not mutiny.

Here if you actually care about this subject beyond copy pasting shit from wikipedia and just telling me you haven't read anything on the subject but you FEEL like he was beloved this is one of the best Biographies written about Alexanders reign

goodreads.com/book/show/7841459-alexander-the-great

>The only book about this subject is the one I read
>No other sources are valid
Imagine being this oblivious

I've read dozens of books on the subject. Where the fuck do you get off when you admit to not having read one.

Literally just being proud of being ignorant at this point. This thread is a headache.

The average height back then was like 5'4 so at 6'1 I would be a giant compared to the others. Even at dyel status the reach advantage is enough to kill most enemies.

Did you miss the part where I said I read several books on classical warfare?
>Keeps referring to one book
>Oh I read dousins now

I'm done replying. You obviously only know how to parrot the single opinion you read

Don't >> me

> and all of them worked out and fucked ass, at every moment they weren't literally inventing Western civilization

b&rp