ITT:boxer general

>ITT:boxer general

Is there a sticky for how to box and/or train like a boxer?

>inB4huehuejujitsu posters

Attached: unnamed (2).jpg (1200x630, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wJg8BrV8xlQ
youtu.be/ip26_zUv0Q4
amazon.com/Workouts-Boxings-Greatest-Champs-Muhammad/dp/1569754438
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Haven't seen a sticky but I've trained in boxing for about 7 years. The gym I attended was predominantly Mexican and there was a sign on the wall so you wouldn't bother the trainers asking what to do. It goes as follows:
(All rounds are 3 min with 30 sec rest times between rounds)

3 rounds footwork and dynamic stretching
3 rounds shadow boxing
5 rounds heavy bag
3 rounds double end bag
3 rounds speed bag
15 min jump rope

Any specifics feel free to ask. I did one day boxing training like this and then next would be Conditioning and or plyometrics. I'll answer any questions, unless something comes up of course.

Bamp

I do 2 main lifts with 2 accessory lifts every gym visit followed by 15 2 minute rounds, 10 total on the heavy bag and 5 total on a speed bag.

The first few times you might not be able to finish but it makes cardio at least interesting and will give you some beginner practice

7 years guy here, this guy is great. Precision striking is my favorite channel he covers so many topics, this is an interview with a condition coach

youtu.be/wJg8BrV8xlQ

Anything specifically with bags? I have a heavy bag at home that I inherited from my brother when he used to be really into kung fu. Also how do I into a good roadwork routine?

Yeah, exactly what does footwork entail?

I was in an uber a while ago and the driver was from Iraq and used to box. He was telling me they would run with mouths full of water to make sure they kept their neck/ jaw muscles activated. Has anyone heard of this or is it broscience?

would you ever train and do some heavy lifting? I am interested in doing both boxing and strenght training but don't know if possible, I don't mean starting strenght kind of training I mean something more intermediate.

Invest in good running shoes man. Insoles for running too. When you 1st start out you may have a problem with shin splints that was my big issue, and it had to do with how often my feet were striking the ground when I ran. I actually went to a running coach so that I could get rid of my bed habits when running lol I don't think you have to go that for but I usually would run about 3 miles in a morning at 4:00 a.m.. You don't have to do that, one mile is good , That's when I would start doing sprints right after. Sprinting mimics a boxing match in that you are going from normal pace of jogging to "fighting pace" of sprinting. As for how long you should Sprint, really I would just go by feeling. I would run from one street light to the next or maybe the distance of 3 houses. I would do this about 5 times. That would be my running and sprinting for the day. As for a heavy bag, you should really look up videos on how to punch a heavy bag ,the YouTube guy Precision striking that I posted has a video on just that. Your hands are your most valuable tools take care of them wrap your hands well and by good gloves, I use everlast and Reyes brand gloves. 14 oz is good for me you can go to a sporting goods store and try them out see what feels good for you. Careful when the bag is swinging towards you you don't want to have your wrist bent in any way that is a very good way to snap your wrist and then you'll be out for about 1 or 2 weeks. If I felt I was lacking in any area of punching I would use the last 30 seconds or so of a round to practice that punch. So I would practice footwork and punching on the heavy bag for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds and I was having a lot of trouble with hooks and body shots so I would practice that for the last 30 seconds it really helps out. Some people also like to use the last 30 seconds to just rapid punch the bag not focusing on technique or power but trying to get your endurance up in how many punches you can throw

Footwork entails learning the proper distance your feet should be apart. Most coaches teach slightly shoulder width with your weight distribution even on both legs as best as possible. Then pretend someone is in front of you. Practice moving to the left and to the right and forward and backward. Since I can't show you anything in person here is precious striking with a vid on proper footwork and drills

youtu.be/ip26_zUv0Q4

Poor bro science. But it sounds like it works

Strength training isn't the devil like some boxing coaches make it out to be. The whole point of boxing is to hit and not get hit, you want to be fast so plyometrics, or explosive lifts like Olympic lifts are your best friends. Honestly I would try to lift lighter weights and do SLOW negatives when coming down with the weight, like let's say a bench press and try to do explosive press and I come back up, this way I'm hitting strength and stability as well as explosiveness, I like lifting this way

fatty losing weight here
should i start training for boxing now or until i get more Jow Forums

Boxing training is going to make you lean (unless you're Butterbean and eat like a fucking monster), jumping rope, running, shadow boxing drills, etc burns a lot of calories.

Any recommendations on good shoes, boxingbro?

I have 284 pound buddy who boxes. The amount of footwork and running involved could be a bitch on your joints especially the knees. Look up the "Petersen stepup" exercise, bullet proof knees. Jog and listen to your body, if you're hurting stop. Honestly swimming or if it's an option running on grass or sand are your best bet for getting your endurance in. My buddy loves those because they save his joints. He doesn't even jump rope because it hurts so bad. Everyone is different tho, if you can handle running and jump rope more power to you. Other than the running part, of course you can box, shit my friend is slow but at 284 pounds he hits like a fucking truck

I boxed for like a year and never got lean lmao, boxing alone won't cut it, you also need to start eating healthier

not boxing bro but I like everlasts, I got like 3 pairs, any kind of wrestling shoe will do though.
for running though, running shoes, is cool to get your feet conditioned by using the small sole and shit but you won't be able to stand running with flat shoe for long.

Nike boxing shoes are nice. I always wear them, I see some dudes with the Adidas and I think some dudes wear Acsics but I like my bikes, cost me 200 bucks. I don't see boxing shoes at stores usually I had to go go a boxing specialty store or online

Attached: 20190212_221107.jpg (4032x3024, 3.1M)

Can we please have a martial arts general operating so that we don't get the same mother fucking "what martial art do I do" thread which devolves into a Jow Forums manlet talking about how he wants to shoot boxers with his gun

My running shoes are the "Brooks Ravenna" I love Brooks, best running shoes I've ever owned. EXPENSIVE at 180 bucks tho.

that's... actually an amazing idea.
Jow Forums is so full of shitposting that at this point we're getting to /v/ levels, so we might as well turn Jow Forums into generals so you can navigate thru the shitposts

I like the classic "ugly" Reebok Boxing Boot. Not going to lie, it's so eye- catching that I've actually worn it out to social events.

Attached: [email protected] (1524x2200, 214K)

Hahah nice! I like wearing my nikes out in public too, people who are "in the know" see them and smile at me, gives me warm feels

lmao yeah, I am so used to boxing shoes now I use them anywhere, nobody ever notices they're boxing shoes. Unless yeah, they do it themselves.

This is good I would add this schedule should be 2 a days 6 times a week with a run before hand, time on pads and conditioning after.
T. Muy Thai fighter training in Thailand.

Also you can torrent 'bas rutten mma workout' for what to do in rounds on bag and shadow box.

Could I just keep on doing GSLP and box about 3-4 times a week and still make good progress (1/2/3/4)? Getting bigger/aesthetic is more of a priority, but learning how to fight still interests me. I just fear the intense cardio will become more of a problem if anything

Boxing noob and intermediate lifter. I'm stopping lifting for a month so I can focus on getting gud at boxing, but is it a good idea to resume lifting after? Only 30 minutes a day of 5/3/1 and maybe some calisthenics like muscle-ups and shit just so I don't lose the skill.

Also when I buy boxing shoes, is it ok to run to the gym (less than 2k) in them?

And if I'm only going to buy one pair of gloves, 14 or 16 oz? I'm a 175lb pure muscle manlet.

Absolutely. I'm talking about being a good boxer, but if you have other goals by all means. You can hire a trainer and have him improve your technical skills. The boxing conditioning is part of the deal but if you want to get big but know how to fight, a trainer to do Mitt work and run evasion drills is a good way to do it. You can be big and still known how to box. The intensity of the cardio is on you, but how will it become a problem? Like will you lose gains if you do cardio? Just do sprints, sprinting will SHRED you, without losing muscle mass. Look at photos of long distance runners and sprinters, one of my friends ONLY sprints, no long distance roadwork and all it ever did was shred him.

Don't tax your body too much though. Overtraining is real. If you're gonna do weights and boxing two a days is cool, boxing in the morning so your technical skills are still sharp and weights at night. I have to rest 2 days a week. I go to the sauna, I take ice baths on training days sometimes, after my morning workout. Everyone is different though. I'm not superman, and when I'm tired I rest. Injury is easy in boxing like any other sport. Listen to your body, rest when you need to. Fuck I took a week off because my CNS was fried from Olympic weight lifting and boxing for a month with only 1 rest day.

I wouldn't run in you boxing shoes and 16oz for boxing 14oz for kickboxing

14 oz gloves are cool and so are 16. Go to the shop and try them on, throw a few punches. Honestly the only thing you'll notice is more padding and then most minute weight difference. As for running in boxing shoes, I do sometimes but the narrowness of them can cause foot pain,I have separate shoes for running and boxing

ask your trainer about the glove size
dont do anythingwuth your boxing shoes outside the gym

Also, is strength even useful to boxing? What is the advantage of someone who can squat 3pl8?

Balance.

amazon.com/Workouts-Boxings-Greatest-Champs-Muhammad/dp/1569754438

I used to have this somewhere, kinda cool to see what they do.

It's usually 3-5 miles running a day plus whatever boxing work they do.

Ali claims he never lifted weights cause it makes you slow.

I hurt my hand the other day and it wasn’t that bad but it was bad enough so that I would need to take a break from the punching bag for a bit. Are there any workouts like jumping rope thatll still make me a better boxer?
>inb4 sparring a soft partner

Daily reminder that if you don't come from the slums and have the fight-for-survival mentality, you will never ever ever ever make it in competitive boxing or have the hunger to be successful in this sport

Just putting it out there

Instead of rope i run in the treadmill, am i doing it wrong?

Youre still getting your cardio in which is good. There are just other benefits other than the cardio aspect that jumping rope would give you i.e. footwork and rhythm

What are the benefits of boxing shoes compared to normal sports shoes? Ive been using running shoes but i dont like them because of the thick soles

I believe the idea is that jump rope improves your body coordination. Every boxing gym I have ever been to was super autistic about jump rope.

I just started but i dont see anyone doing it, im planning on starting doing it though, the gym i go to has a focus on bjj so i guess thats why

K Rocky

The difference between 14oz and 16oz gloves is real. By the time the 3rd/4th round comes that 2oz difference taxes you hard.

Shadow box with 1lb weights, could work on bags that are easier on the hands like water bags or the double end bag

Skipping rope also gives you an internal rhythm and used to bouncing on your toes plus balance

Who is Andre Ward, Klitschkos brothers, Lomachenko, Mikey Garcia, Lennox Lewis.