How early should kids be lifting weight without perverse effects on their growth...

How early should kids be lifting weight without perverse effects on their growth? My son is about to start hitting puberty soon and I wonder if I should have made him start lifting before that. Is puberty the perfect time, or should they start earlier?

Attached: charlie-deadlift-e1448939554945[1].jpg (700x401, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

barbellmedicine.com/should-kids-be-strength-training/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>perverse

He missed his window to be honest. Should of had him lifting bags of rice n shit around the house. Might not make it.

glad you're looking out for your wife's son user!

Wait until puberty, toddler bones are green
They won’t be able to build muscle before that anyway

>should of
nigger

Not even the guy that posted that but for real fuck off.

Have him start before puberty. When he hits puberty he won’t want to listen to anything you have to say. Have him start doing calisthenics by buying him a pull up bar and some whey.

Have the kid play soccer or wrestling and morning pushups and whatever.

Don't introduce weight training until he's had the growth spurt. You pretty mich can't build muscle and grow height at the same time. You'll doom the kid into manlethood.

>for real

Attached: 1549963407771.png (1922x1779, 1.01M)

What about pull-ups and stuff

>has a son
Go away normalscum

as soon as they can lower weights slowly without dropping it. this is generally the benchmark for form awareness to my knowledge.

>You pretty mich can't build muscle and grow height at the same time
source please

Lifting during teenage years actually promotes growth. Just let him do some calisthenics untill he's 15-16 and then just lift. Also get him to mew with correct tongueposture. It'll make his face alot more attractive when he's grown up and might save you a ton on dental braces.

>Also get him to mew with correct tongueposture. It'll make his face alot more attractive

ya really fell for the mewing snake oil huh?

not until he's 18+, ill let him play sports but not weight lifting specifically

>angry subhman can't into grammar

For kids up to around 17 or 18, you should instead be focusing on correct nutrition, cardio and posture. Correct nutrition will ensure optimal height and frame, cardio for overall fitness, and posture for all that plus looks. At 18 you can get your kid into actual lifting.

I started at 14 for football and kept growing so did all my teammates

Kid will be ubermensch

i started doing pushups and biceps curls at 13-14 maybe even before that and i am pretty short(180) compared to my father(190)

it shouldn't have any effect on on how soon growth plates ossify if the lifts are done correctly. Couldn't tell you how it affects growth regarding nutrition and shit

if you're not living on a farm feeding him raw milk you fucked up

won't hurt to teach him form and stuff at an early age using a broomstick or 15lb bars, maybe even an oly bar if he seems competent
"lifting stunts your growth" is a stupid meme, but if you're concerned about some percieved negative effect then do this:
pushups before puberty, free weights at onset, barbell at peak

also focus on nutrition and education before he gets really into it, think about how much time you wasted lifting inefficiently when you were a kid, think about how fuckin huge you woulda been if you had todays knowledge when you were a teen

Use your brain the kid a kid sized stomach. Already needs to eat as much as an adult to be able to grow. Then would also need to eat even more to facilitate muscle growth.
There is a reason teen boys in growth spurt are fucking skinny.
Best way is team sport to teach your kid competitive environments and how to function in a group and then introduce to lifting when he's 18.
Source: didn't eat enough when growing and ended up falling short 10cm of my projected height. Now skinny AND stuck in 180 hell.

I've been doing sports since I were 5, started lifting when I was 13. I'm 6'4.

Bro im 6'5 and i ate like shit growing up.
Height is genetics. Minimum calories is enough.

I started lifting too young and am now totally perverted

tanner stage 4

What he need to train before puberty is work ethic or its all going to the drain once the hormones hit.

highly underrated post

Bitch, orthopedics fucking work. But if you want changes after puberty you have to wear prosthetics to have noticeable changes. If you do it before or after puberty you have effects just from mewing. Do your fucking research you cuntflap.

18 years old
I recommend you to make him do swimming as a sport until he is old enough to lif

Attached: F82E6C17-1E2F-4579-BD27-95C20B7A72F4.png (455x455, 293K)

>Ate like shit
You mean you spontaneously pulled calories out of thin air?
You made of magic?

Bro Science: The Post

find a team sport he likes and get him playing, it doesn't have to be anything super serious or competitive but it will keep him and shape and more importantly lead to social gains

barbellmedicine.com/should-kids-be-strength-training/

To be crystal clear incase you don’t listen to the hour long podcast or read every nuanced bit below, kids should be exposed to the lifts, but they can’t really train until they’ve matured hormonally.

What this means is that it’s very safe for kids to get under a bar, add a little weight and squat, press, deadlift, power clean, and bench press with perfect form, but they cannot train progressively until they have undergone the necessary hormonal changes that support regular progressive overload (see Tanner Stage 4 and puberty).

The risks from barbell training kids as reported is exceedingly low, much lower than- say- soccer, football, or baseball- and this makes sense, right? How can you incrementally load those sports or the contacts that occur within those sports’ games and practices? You can’t do it, but this can be done with barbell training. It also does not stunt their growth at all. Period. No evidence exists that this occurs, yet evidence to the contrary does exist. Yay for science!

Additionally, early exposure to the lifts might confer benefits to athletic development later on in life. In short, there may be a window in time where exposure to athletic activities like barbell training take advantage of junior’s young age and allow their bodies to respond in extraordinary ways, e.g. neuromuscular and coordination development not otherwise seen in inactive youths.

So yeah.
You shouldn't let them lift heavy shit because they can seriously fuck their bodies up.
However letting them play at lifting weight will subconsciously tell them that the fairly destructive art of barbell lifting heavily is good/something they should do and also prime them to lift those weight later.

Calisthenics gymnastics and athletics for kids. Period.

How fucking retarded are you?

>The risks from barbell training kids as reported is exceedingly low, much lower than- say- soccer, football, or baseball

>It also does not stunt their growth at all. Period.

Children have less of an understanding of their bodies then adults.
Putting them under the bar as soon as they can walk without standing over them 24/7/365 to ensure they don't injure themselves with this entirely unneeded exercise for no fucking reason is retarded.
They screw up, and they will, they'll be injured for life and that can affect growth.
Hell, adlults who squat lose inches from their height and oft snap shit up.
What makes you think kids won't do even worse?

Calisthenics and basic athletics is the safest choice and primes them for being active and athletic for their entire lives.

I started lifting when I was 12, got tall and strong but ended up an idiot.

You are making shit up

Such as...?

>asked for source
>dude trust me

>adlults who squat lose inches from their height
you're retarded if you think this is a legitimate concern for 99% of people
>Putting them under the bar as soon as they can walk
hyperbole
>without standing over them 24/7/365 to ensure they don't injure themselves
have you ever been coached in any sport ever?
> entirely unneeded exercise
why do you think training movements that are helpful to almost every aspect of an active person's life is unneeded? resistance training will make almost everything else you do in terms of sports better (not suggesting trying to get a 4 year old to squat 3 plates)
>They screw up, and they will, they'll be injured for life and that can affect growth.
statistically, weightlifting has a much lower rate of injuries compared to almost any other sports for kids and most of these injuries come from accidents like dropping things on feet/hands etc. rather than serious snapping shit
weightlifting will actually lower the chance of getting injured when playing other sports
no one is suggesting giving little kids barbells and telling them to get on with it - of course they would fuck things up just like almost any adult would - but rather with effective coaching
there is no evidence at all that resistance training negatively effects growth in kids but you're welcome to completely ignore this info and continue spouting nonsense

Nuanced post, my son does burpees and deads since 5. Just started to throw in some pullups. Go slow and don't be annoying and pushy, the real benefit is bonding with your son. He'll remember lifting with Dad for his entire life.

>Should of had him lifting bags of rice n shit around the house
My sides. Like some shounen protagonist or some shit

Lifting doesnt stunt growth you brainlet

Early and often.