>take up running and swimming recently
>bf sheds off me like an animals winter coat
>my calves have grown a solid inch
>times start increasing at a great rate
>start carb loading
>run longer than I ever could
>start drinking coffee before runs
>have a ton of energy during runs
>start chewing Redman™ while I run, get an amazing buzz coupled with runners high

Fuck running is awesome. I’ve been doing a mile and a half consistently with a day off every Sunday.

At first I couldn’t even do it all the way through without throwing up. Now I’m running a 10 minute flat

The main reason is I’m afraid of getting knee/joint problems if I run for a farther distance

So I have some questions for my more experienced run boys

What’s the best distance to run without fear of joint damage? How can I keep progressing and stave off a plateau for as long as possible and what are you guys listening to during your runs?

youtu.be/ao0vXBJqODE

Also night running>day running

Attached: D0509833-A9A5-41B4-ACB4-33A71E172C27.jpg (1080x1350, 221K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theactivetimes.com/best-running-shoes-flat-feet
exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BWBirdDog
exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/Superman
youtu.be/GnsjOA1G3wE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Did you have side stitches? I cant progress because of them.

if you are worried about your knees switch to cycling, no impact and if you setup your bike properly you will never have knee issues... if you set it up like a mexican with a DUI then you will get repetitive motion injure to your knees... but still no impact injuries.

make sure you're forefoot running, not heel striking.

Gotta be really well hydrated before running, if I haven't been drinking water beforehand I'll get bad cramps when I run. You can't do it 10 minutes before the run either, gotta start hydrating like 2-3 hours beforehand.

>finally quit smoking
>endurance shoots through the roof

I thought it would take months to see a real tangible benefit to quitting that shit, but it's paid off in just a couple weeks. My mile time went from 7:15 down to 6:45 without any real direct effort.

Attached: running_and_smoking.jpg (400x582, 37K)

Is cycling superior to running? Won’t cycling give me big thighs too?

Man, I love running. But I also fear knee damage. I have flat feet and often struggle with maintaining forefoot running. I'm also 220+ lbs (@ 14% bodyfat, don't want to lose weight).
I'm considering purchasing a low-impact treadmill. I know it's not as satisfying as outdoor running, but I would like to not ache when I'm 50.

Attached: 1518594683160.jpg (1080x1080, 131K)

Cycling builds thighs + calves

Attached: 34F5366D-73E5-426D-BB91-59C82964B267.jpg (961x630, 179K)

>mile and a half
>lustening to music
What a pathetic runlet. You're not a true man unless you do fivo kilos a day

I love running, but I hate jogging. The only thing I enjoy is going for a light sprint for as long as possible, say at 60-70% capacity (where a sprint would be 90%+). I like to put on trail running shoes and run along forest trails until I gass myself out. I try to find trails that have sections with logs and stumps and boulders in the way and stuff and I jump off them and try to imagine I'm living a real life in nature where my physical fitness really matters.

I get side stitches but I originally just powered through them. Now I don’t get them unless I go further than a mile and a half

I’ve thought about this, but due to circumstance I wouldn’t be able to get into until a couple months from now

You already know my heel hits first baby (;

Fucking aye man let’s get it

I would look into these before buying an exspensive treadmill. Maybe you can continue to do outdoor running friend

theactivetimes.com/best-running-shoes-flat-feet

Would running 3 miles make that big a difference? I’m just trying to stay at the same muscle mass id rather not lose any muscle or have to increase my calorie intake more to maintain

Iktf user, running cross country is way more enjoyable than running on a track

>want to start running
>can't do it because my back is too weak
>can't strengthen my back because it's too weak to even perform one rep of any exercise I've tried
>can't even hold a plan for one second
send help

Attached: 1528760073297.jpg (535x577, 40K)

exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BWBirdDog
exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/Superman
>>can't do it because my back is too weak
???

I love trail running in summer, but fuck running on a treadmill, i would rather whip myself

>mile and a half
>10 minutes
I sometimes don't get you guys. You want to improve but are afraid of getting injured with baby obstacles.

>How can I keep progressing and stave off a plateau for as long as possible

The general rule of thumb for increasing running distance is to increase your distance by 10% max. Further, having days in between running sessions for recuperation is also strongly recommended. Lastly, running on track (or anything non-concrete) is also way better for the knees.

>what are you guys listening to during your runs?
Mostly hard-rock/metal (e.g. Rise Against, Avenged Sevenfold), although anything with a decently high rhythm is fine for me.

I like being 195 lbs friend that’s why I’m not going for a faster time tbqh desu senpai

also, running at a decent speed is more enjoyable than jogging. Even if I can only run for 5km, I'd way rather run at 8.5-9 mph than like 5-6 mph.

The other thing I really like is running for transportation. I always try to walk around in running shoes and without too much crap to carry, so that I can run places if I need to get places a little more efficiently. Like if I need to walk 10 blocks, I'll just run. Having good cardio is kinda like having a skateboard except you don't have to carry around a stupid skateboard all the time. Recently, me and my little bro were on this island, and we almost missed the last bus to the ferry to get home, which would've trapped us there for the night, so we ended up having to sprint for the bus. We sprinted like 6 blocks and we actually managed to catch the bus. Felt fucking amazing. Lungs were totally raw. If we'd missed it, it would've cost us 100$ for a hotel room.

I basically like everything about running except for wearing neon-yellow synthetic shirts and jogging around a park at 6 mph.

Running 10km is my typical benchmark, because I sometimes do Olympic triathlons and that's the racing distance.

All of you should strive to run 10k.

>running through the woods/fields in the rain listening to black metal, doing HIIT everytime I get to a solid track
Fucking love it

Heel strike will hold you back, like most people. Heel strike will lead to injuries, like most people.
Front foot is the way your body is built to run, end of story.

any asthma bros here? how can I run if I can't breathe?

Good job OP. Keep up the good work

>Gatekeeping this hard

Can you literally do anything? I mean literally when I say literally. Are you bed ridden?

If you bent over to touch your toes would you not be able to stand back up?

I feel you bro. Started running everyday to work a month ago. I Always biked but my bike is shit and I came late for work because my chain kept falling off so I decided to run instead. A month later and it only takes 30 mins for 4.6 miles without stopping. I'm happier and I my numbers at work went up with 18%.

OP, you will have pain and aches, that is inevitable. Aslong as they aren't severe you shouldn't be too worried about it aslong as your technique is decent. You can wear knee supports during runs if you're really worried about it.

I've made a thread to no avail.

Any tips on outdoor tracks? I can easily do a 15 on a treadmill but I feel like dying after 5 on a track. Any ways on how to combat this? After getting shin splints I feel like everything was ruined. It started with immense pain, after recovering for a few weeks now my breath is cut short.

Attached: QEII completed.jpg (800x600, 120K)

Also you should try to run for atleast 25 minutes straight, if that's too hard then lower your pace or walk a few times for 10 secs to catch your breath.

Smoking/vaping tanks your respiration so bad. Got addicted to nicotine first from smoking, then to the more intense buzzes that you get from vaping for a few months. Then my saliva constantly tasted like the shitty juice and I wasn't getting the comfy feeling I was using to escape so I threw it in the trash. Just started swimming/running like OP for a couple months and it feels great to not be out of breath doing any form of exercise. For comparison, after my first time swimming I nearly blacked out in the locker room. Feels good to have improved. Stay at it lads.

Next time you have problems with shin splints ride your bike or row to maintain your VO2 max while recovering.

Yeah, bike got insanely boring for me. I've been icing my shins for about 2 months now. Just started running again last week.

Eat some mustard, dijon course is best imo.

Took me forever to get to 6 minute mile, now I would probably do a 10 but be dead after. Fml

How often do you replace your shoes lads? Is it worth just getting a new insole?

I use Adidas Bounce (can't remember the gen) and they've lost the bounce but don't feel bad to use.

it builds muscle in similar ways as running, if you sprint (running or cycling) your muscles will grow but if you run/cycle for long distances, you will improve your endurance.

Insoles help. I used to go through 3 pairs of shoes a year for conditioning when I did sport in school. I was an overly large lad though (130 kg+)

Did 10 miles at average pace of 8:59 today, happy with that in the wind & hail.

Was 113kg permabulk 6'3, but now down to 93kg on a brosplit doing lots of cardio prepping for a 20 mile obstacle run in May.

Enjoying being able to run, look lean, and not getting breathless when fucking desu.

when i first started running my limiting factor was core strength, the further I ran the more my core would burn and hurt.
I would just switch between walking and running every minute or so, after a few days I could run consistently

just follow a fatty coaching program

How do you guys balance funning and lifting?

I am currently on a 4 day 5/3/1 schedule Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri. My lower body days are heavy squats/light volume deadlifting on Monday and then heavy deads/light volume squatting on Thurs.. what's the best way to run around this?

Pic related is where I'm at on the program. 2nd week of 5th cycle starts tomorrow.

Attached: Screenshot_20190317-102438.png (1080x2160, 279K)

At a hotel. Wanna run at the gym's treadmill. Forgot to bring shoes. Acceptable to run in socks?

Running on a treadmill barefoot or in socks is not fun.

probably not, what shoes do you have?

>only a mile and a half every day
beta

Attached: Screenshot_20190317-030736_Nike Run Club.jpg (720x1480, 212K)

60% - 70% of your heart rate reserve is light jogging. 60% - 70% of maximum heart rate is an effort equivalent to a brisk walk.
60%-70% of maximum perceived intensity is more or less the aerobic threshold, which is nowhere near sprinting.
Perhaps you meant 85%+.
And you are right, cross-country running is unbeatable.

Just run bro, make it part of your workout routine and take some days off accordingly

Fair enough. I figure maybe I'll throw in a mile here and there but I just want to be consistent about it and not let it hamper my progress lifting. My goal is just to be athletic overall and get down to a respectable bf%.

Worth a shot

pic related

Attached: L54R9hF.jpg (1840x3264, 523K)

>running
>injury

>row
>model back

take the row machine pill

daily reminder running a mile a day is pointless and you should run AT LEAST 5k in AT LEAST 25 minutes for it to be effective

imagine bragging about running for 7 minutes or however long it takes you to run a mile every day

Shoes are usually made for 600 to 1200 km, but you may use them a little beyond that. Listen to your body, as shin splints are more likely with excessively worn shoes.
I usually buy new shoes when long sessions (over 90 minutes) start giving me bloody calluses.

Attached: 1551106151866.jpg (117x125, 3K)

Don't you mean at most?

Because at least means you can't run under that.

hey
HEY
lick my penis

Attached: 1551037311039.jpg (667x891, 138K)

is english not your first language? at least means the minimum you should do, as in you should a minimum of 5k in this context you dumb brown cunt

unless you're genuinely implying running 5k every day is hard and bad for your health in which case why the fuck are you on a board dedicated to FITNESS

Tough mudder?

I think he means "at least 5k in at most 25min"

Last summer i went for a run, after not running for several months, i ran a little over 8 km. next day i had extreme pain in my right knee, like, really bad i could barely walk. It eventually subsided after about 4 days but i haven’t run since then. (because of the seasons changing and getting a new job aswell as family matters) but im getting massive runners high withdrawals atm, should i just go for a run and see what happens? I really dont want to risk getting knee issues again since i work construction which means that if i get knee pain i wouldnt be able to work at all.

What do?

Attached: 78F20ABA-6438-48F2-9EDB-99E8E7135F72.jpg (964x912, 60K)

why are we discussing this
at most would mean running a 5k at a pace that would allow to you to finish in 5k and no faster
im saying the opposite, you need to finish in at least 25 mins or less, im saying 25 mins is the slowest you can run a 5k to reap the benefits but you shouldn't strive to do it in 25 mins, you should aim to run a 5k way faster than that

retarded ape

A mile and a half is literally nothing. Barely a warm up.

Start slow (in distance and time), build up.
Stop if it starts feeling wrong.

If you want certainty, get a medical check by a (sports)doctor.

How do i manage to improve my endurance?
I started to run 2 times per week 2 months ago but I can barely reach 5000m in 30 minutes

Attached: 124567u87654.jpg (600x521, 79K)

>at least x or less
at least == minimum == x or more
=> x or more or less

At least you signed your post correctly

run more
maybe dont run 8k on a whim

you're retarded

Attached: Screenshot_20190317-153010_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg (720x1480, 278K)

redpill me on the redman thing, what is it?

Endurance is not about running x in x time.
It is running continuously for x time, regardless of pace.

As this guy said, just run more

At least means at minimum, as I said...

>low quality bait mate

I think its chewing tobacco

It's disturbing how people think running + a high carb diet is "healthy". There's a reason so many runners drop dead in middle age.

at minimum aka when running, the minimum you should do is run 5k and run in a minimum of 25 minutes, how do you not understand this

2 months is not that long to be able to run 5km under 30:00. Give it another month or two.

why is that , iv'e learned from a real jogger who gets paid to learn others to run , is to hit heel first but controlled , so when i run you dont hear sound of my feet hitting the ground .

I have freakishly high arches and I tell myself that this will prevent knee wear. I know running flat feet are bad for your knees, but idk if there’s any scientific reason that the opposite would be true for high arches.

Attached: 495EDD96-F71C-48ED-9C11-9E9D5E731AE0.jpg (3024x4032, 2.75M)

Idk why you're laughing 3.2 miles isn't far especially in 24 minutes

I just try to keep it simple. I run 45-60 minutes every other day. I use my fitbit for a general approximation of my heart rate. I keep it between 140-150... sometimes this means I have to walk to get it lowered. It is a pace that doesn't make you want to die, but the effects felt are staggering... increased mood, body fat decrease, etc. It is pretty great and I highly recommend this technique.

In terms of form I just take smaller strides and try to imagine being light on my feet... landing on the middleish portion of my feet with each stride.
Doing walking lunges will help with ensuring your knees are healthy too me thinks. Happy running bois ;)

I do a 5k every day and every day I finish my 5k in 23 mins ish, my mile time is also 7 mins
That's why i'm laughing at that retard who thinks running a mile every day is brag worthy

Do you run a 5k every day?

I run at least 5 or 6 a day outside of a longrun once a week and my best mile is around 5:25

I don't wanna sound like a dick though because I'm in a long distance club so it's sorta my specialty in addition to lifting and a lot of those people in that club are way better than I'll ever be

i'm just a bored neet but that's no excuse
gonna start adding 1k to my runs every few weeks until I can do 10k comfortably
mirin the heck out of that mile time

So, run at least 5k, in 25 minutes or more

>This is too easy

no AT LEAST 25 MINUTES AS IN 25 MINUTES IS THE LONGEST TIME IT SHOULD TAKE
THE VALUE OF THE TIME HERE IS LESS = MORE YOU BRAIN DEAD CHIMP, DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND CONTEXT

You'll definitely make it there in no time bro

Look up proper running form and shoes this may help slow the damage you will eventually have

start slowly user, at first I cant run 5 minutes without hurting my back, now I can run 30 mins no problem

Attached: Training-to-Run-Long-Distance.jpg (796x1600, 172K)

think about the words you're using user
>at least
vs
>at most

Attached: monkeyabout.jpg (1656x1827, 626K)

both work in this context, I don't know why you don't understand this you dumb ESL

Lad are you OK? I get why you think you're right, but the way you're wording it is absolutely wrong.

This should be a nice thread but you need to go and calm yourself down. Sometimes your brain goes a little haywire and you might think what you're saying is right when it straigh up, objectively isn't. Go chill out and read the thread again tomorrow and you'll see your syntax is just way off.

If you're going to say "at least x miles" then you need to say "at least y pace (miles per minute)" and not "at least 25 minutes" because that means a run time of 25 minutes or more, not less.

Thanks lads, I'll just grab some insoles for now. They don't feel flat or mishapen just yet. I'm not planning to run them into the ground anyway, I'm just going to retire them from running into casual use.

>she's at most a 6
>she's at least a 6

which one would you rather be fucking?

Attached: starkey.png (772x674, 906K)

idk, I just do a non-stop 4 miles every other day and on sundays attempt a sub 6 minute mile and on mondays 10 100 m sprints.
Night running is also superior to day running.

Run on grass or dirt trails to reduce impact.

youtu.be/GnsjOA1G3wE

>This is the result of nicotine, a stimulant found naturally in tobacco products. Nicotine enters the bloodstream quickly and affects brain chemicals, causing a boost in energy levels and a reduction in stress

Careful though, if you’ve never dipped or done tobacco products it’s liable to make your throw up

Attached: ADC13BB5-3152-4445-BB03-F02AFD167469.jpg (1159x1500, 684K)

I don't want to crush down your self esteem but you should actually run 30 minutes and over 5 km per day

Attached: 1534438473537.gif (372x500, 436K)

Literally not that impressive for someone trying to brag in a running thread. If you were doing 10k consistently with a decent time you'd have some clout; but as is you're pretty normie as far as runners go.

That feel when right leg is fucked up making ankle point out ~35 degrees causing pain when running or cycling

That feel when bum leg prevents me from doing any squats or deadlifts

That feel when why even live

alright brehs, I'm finally back after an extended period of disability. I've been skipping all winter to build up my legs and it's finally getting warm enough to get outside again.
I'd appreciate it if you anons could rec me some good drills to get my technique back to where it should be. I'm a large lad (about 280 lbs) so I want to make sure that my technique is impeccable before I start racking up serious mileage.

Attached: 1543257071809.jpg (640x1280, 148K)

>redman
that shit always burns holes into my stomach. I can only dip cans like grizzly. I don't know how you're able to run while chewing that shit. It sounds awful

I'm better than OP and that's all that counts which is why I posted it

I usually swallow it. I don’t even spit tbqh. But yeah it’s not for everyone