/fast/ #413 permabulk edition

FAQ
/fast/ discord
>discord.gg/dknZqPb
What is /fast/?
>Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

What’s the difference between intermittent fasting, water fasting, dry fasting, etc.?
>Intermittent fasting: Fasting for a certain amount of time with a short eating window. 16:8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hour eating window) is the bare minimum.
>Water fasting: Fasting with only water.
>Dry fasting: Fasting with no water. Dangerous, use with caution.

Why should I fast?
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11147801
>idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/
>youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0

How do I safely do an extended fast?
>Take snake juice, or just supplement electrolytes.
>Water=2L
>Potassium chloride =1 tsp (No Salt)
>Sodium chloride = 1/2 tsp (Himalayan Pink Salt)
>Sodium Bicarbonate = 1 tsp (Baking Soda)
>Magnesium Sulphate = 1/2 tsp (Food Grade Epsom Salts)
>Mix these in 2L of water and sip it throughout the day.
>[OPTIONAL] 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar and 4 tbsp lemon juice. DO NOT MIX with snake juice, drink separately.
>You can also do this if you feel lightheaded, weak, dizzy, nauseous, etc., on shorter water fasts. Don’t do this while intermittent fasting.

Won’t I go into starvation mode?
>No. The mainstream definition of starvation mode is a myth. Read the FAQ linked below for more information.

Will (something with calories) break my fast?
>Yes.

Can I drink coffee, tea, and diet soda? Or anything with artificial sweeteners?
>You can do whatever the fuck you want. We recommend avoiding those, sweeteners especially.

Do I need a multivitamin?
>No

Prolonged fast FAQ: fast.fandom.com/wiki/FAST_FAQ

losertown.org/eats/cal.php

Attached: oink.jpg (868x616, 209K)

Other urls found in this thread:

coca-colaproductfacts.com/en/products/gold-peak-tea/unsweetened/18-5-oz/
youtube.com/watch?v=QHEGO1vuQ5s
mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/product/premium-bacon-ranch-salad-with-grilled-chicken.html
youtube.com/watch?v=HTitvqRRzr8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Red pill me on alternate day fasting
If I eat maintenance for 12 hours and then fast for 36 will I maintain muscle mass?
I need to cut

So after browsing /fast/ and actually fasting for multiple days (5 days is my longest), I'm actually pretty impressed by it. For someone like me that like's to do heavy workouts, I am thinking about doing something like standard 16:8 window, 5 days a week, and then fasting over the weekends.

So 5 days IF 16:8 keto and then friday will be my last meal until monday afternoon. How does that sound bois? I get a little bit of the fasting benefits and get some calories on the days I lift.

did the dude in op do a bunch of HGH or something

Dead general

so the hardest thing for me right now is starting the fast because i think im still on my refeed day and i eat and eat

I have a pretty physical job and I'm worried about passing out if I try fasting. Should I be taking electrolytes or something?

no he just bulked like a fucking pig

Make the snake juice, don't over exert yourself (listening to your body is key). Also I think if you have a physical job maybe extending fasting isn't for you

But I'm fat and dieting takes too long.

I'll try the snake juice. Thanks user.

> dieting takes too long.

It's true, but I think we need to remind ourselves that this isn't a race and doing drastic things can actually cause road blocks like binge eating. If you had some calories + a physical demanding job + working out, weights going to fly off either way. Be safe user

the internet tells me you get some crazy dreams if you go 2+ days, what says /fast/?

i guess i'm about to find out, currently 12 hours in and i'm aiming to go about 96. never done extended fasting before but i go 20 all the time so i'm not expecting it to be too hard.

Is fasting the best way to clean out my colon if I'm prepping for my gf to ram me in the ass on Wednesday?

I've gone 5-6 days and I don't think I had any crazy dreams (or at least ones I can remember)

Would IF be a better plan? Skip breakfast, have lunch and a small dinner in the same window, no bedtime snacks?

Don't know how I gained a pound in between day 4 and 5 of my fast. I had no food, and the same amount of water.
Is it because I started drinking salt water? Would that cause weight gain?
Anyways, I'm gonna start exercising more and hopefully I'll lose more weight.

It would be a good plan. Maybe throw some 2-3 day fasts over the weekend and then eat monday once in awhile. Fat will melt right off

> what is water weight user

Im on day 4 of a water fast. Can I start drinking snake juice now or do I need to refeed and use snake juice then. 4 days is the recommended max of water only. 7 days is the absolute threshold before you have to watch out for health issues. But can I switch between snake diet and water fast.

dude you can drink snake juice at any point during your fast. in fact you would of probably felt a lot better these last 2-3 days if you did

I mean, salt can cause water retention, so yeah. Either that or you started photosynthesizing

Good plan. Thanks user. We're gonna make it.

I know I can drink snake juice. My question is if I should still feed after 4 days of water only fasting so I don't mess anything up.

That and an enema before.

oh yea, drink snake juice 1-2 hours before you start eating your refeed

I love you fuckers.

This is the first time I've been under 200 pounds in years. Yesterday I clocked in at 198 at the end of a 3 day fast. I've been alternating 18:6 IF and 24-48 extended fasts, but last week things just lined up and I went for it.

I'm part of a weight loss challenge at work. Every participant throws in $10, winner takes all. I've even started talking about my fasting with my family, which is huge. I've broken fasts simply because my dad invited me over and made steaks and I didn't have the heart to tell him no. But now he's just proud that I've lost over 12 pounds and is supportive of my decisions. My sister doesn't approve but she chugs Coke by the liter so who gives a fuck.

Doing another 3-day fast starting today. Wish me luck!

Attached: DQQP6304.jpg (1080x820, 76K)

So you think I should refeed tomorrow. Wanted to feed on day 8.

Going to break into the 150's soon.

Reading this as Tony Robbins was very rewarding. Congrats on the weight loss. Keep up the mental fortitude and everything will pan out.

50 hours into fast
my throat is getting sore like I'm about to get sick
will sleep it off and reevaluate tomorrow.. I haven't gotten sick in years, maybe fasting is lowering my defenses (i've fasted about 50% of the days in the last 3 weeks)

Good job user!

Is doing a three day water fast safe? Btw, will a pre-workout (pill) break my fast?

I’m 22% bodyfat with no muscle. I’m 2 days into a 7 day fast right now wondering if this is okay to drink a bottle of once a day

coca-colaproductfacts.com/en/products/gold-peak-tea/unsweetened/18-5-oz/

Attached: 78A6383F-09D8-4A16-AA6F-5DDE321A66E7.jpg (1125x1050, 281K)

yes. in general water, black coffee, unsweetened tea are usually okay

What kind of exercises should I do when fasting? Are there any that would be better or worse than others? I'm trying to just lose as much weight as possible.

>keto

Attached: 1555167181965.jpg (577x359, 15K)

If you are above 10% just snake juice fast all the way there. You will lose minimal muscle mass as long as there is fat on your body.

If you really want to ADF, reduce the eating window from 12 hour to 1 hour.

Reduce that 8 hour eating window to 1 hour.

>Should I be taking electrolytes or something?
You blind m8? The OP explains snake juice.
As long as you have enough snake juice and enough fat on your belly, you can be as physical as you want. But we warned, the first 2 days will be hell because of withdrawal. So maybe find 2 days where you don't have to work to start.

Don't eat fatty!

Probably won't cause any issues.
BUT It's not helping your cause. You should try to go without so that your fast is more effective a breaking your food and caffeine addictions.

Don't do anything for your first 48 hour fast.
To lose as much weight as possible, exercise as much as possible. Do as many hours of low intensity steady state cardio you can, every day. Elliptical, rower, stairs, brisk walking.
Can also increase energy expenditure other ways: youtube.com/watch?v=QHEGO1vuQ5s

Should I order some ice cream bros, I'm so sleepy and tired.

no

Tried a 100 hour fast. Felt fine. I refed on a nice lean steak and broccoli/asparagus salad. It shot through me in a few hours. Had to delay going to bed just because I didn't trust my ass.

Day after I had another refeed, very low carb but with plenty of greens. Stomach felt fine.

Now doing a 48 h fast (10h remaining) and still have not had a shit. Will need some supplementary fibers tonight I think. Lots of weight In my guts right now so the scale is showing more weight that I would expect after all the fasting.

Anyone with similar issues?

>fasting

Fasting is a meme unless you're gonna fast for a long time
otherwise you'll just shit out your meals a few moments after eating it good luck living like that

Is sparkling water OK during a fast?
Can regular sea salt replace Himalayan Pink Salt?
Is trying 96h for my first fast a bad idea?

>Is sparkling water OK during a fast?
Yeah but stick with the lightly flavored seltzers and try to avoid the overpowering ones that have citric acid as the first ingredient and sucralose somewhere down the line. I don't know what the current consensus on Jow Forums is about it messing with the fasting process is, it probably doesn't mess with it too much, but it's still good to train yourself to not crave sweet drinks.

This is assuming you're american. If you're a yuro just drinking plain sparkling water that's good too.

anyone else ran into gastritis while fasting?
after about a year of if on weekdays, i got a fuck ton of burps and a bloated stomach
am i fucking something up?

I was talking about mineral sparkling (perrier or vichy) nothing with added flavor or artificial sweetener.
I have no idea how it will react with an empty belly... I don't want to spend my fast releasing gaz.

At what point do I need to add electrolytes or snake juice in my fast? Its a 72 hours fast an "extended fast"?

Attached: 1554676137347.jpg (720x654, 46K)

keep it up brah!

Attached: 1505010585469.jpg (1920x1080, 355K)

Can confirm they do get more vivid/memorabe, but I haven't seen anything crazier than usual dreaming outside of food being a large part of the dream, that I can remember.

Does fasting or eating help with pulling an all-nighter?

I can't find Potassium chloride without sodium in it, how should I adjust the snake juice?
The product I found is 66% Potassium chloride, 33% sodium.

Too low in salt. Balance it yourself.
Yes, other minerals aren't important.
Not a bad idea.

>hasn't completed highschool
b8?

Realistically if you knew you were going to be drinking water for your fast, and also knew you wanted to go for 8 days you should have started drinking SJ way earlier because then you wouldn't be here asking if you'll damage yourself.

The one good thing I've found about drinking SJ early is when using epsom salts the bowel contents and digestive system is evacuated much earlier rather than days (sometimes 72h for me) into the fast. With it out of my system, my body can just burn the fat I want it to rather than continuing to harvest the shit I ate three days ago.

And I can certainly guarantee it was doing exactly this, because my body wouldn't go over 1.5 mmol ketones. As soon as it was out, few hours later shot up to the mid 4 mmol range.

Just realize that eating while losing large amounts of weight through fasting is more of a coping mechanism.

You use epsom salts in that SJ bro?

Love u too

I need some help. I’m gonna go back to intermittent fasting to get shredded for summer. Goal is the minimum aka 8/16.

I wake up at 3am, workout from 430 to 630 then go to work 07-1630.

Should i do my 8 hours from 0630 (after workout immediately) to 1530? Eat 4 times during that timespan. Or start my eating at 10am till 6pm (1 hour before i go to sleep) ?

The first times I fasted my gut kept acting weird. Now I'm nearing 120h with 0 issues so far. Only been to the bathroom to piss. Gonna end my fast on Thursday and post results

I can't do it bros...I'm done for.

This is /fast/. 8 hours of eating doesn't sound like fasting.
Reduce it to 1 hour of eating.

I have a weight loss challenge at work too with the check in in 2 weeks.
So far I've lost 9lbs in 2 months (start of bet) while maintaining 2000 calorie diet and lifting heavy. What's the best strategy for me to max my weight loss over 2 weeks?
>no experience fasting
>don't want to lose my gains
>another goal is to take 2 weeks to decrease my preworkout and creatine intake since I've been on it daily for 3 months
Should i start out with 3 day fasts or just cut calorie intake to 1000 and add more cardio to workout?

Pretty sure this thread is for all types of fasting. And intermittent fasting is fasting as well.

sip those snake juices senpai. After two days you'll feel the need for electrolytes.

>And intermittent fasting is fasting as well.

Attached: 1477428709809.png (610x663, 385K)

First week is over, did a 72 hour water fast, ate around maintenance , fasted a day, ate around maintenance. Gonna do another 72, results were pretty good for me(dropped 5-6lbs). I did "cheat" with some 0 cal energy drinks(bang and rockstar) it's the only thing I craved

I dunno man I've done multiple 10 day water fasts with no snake juice or special electrolyte intake and felt perfectly fine. I just eat a lot of salty foods and avocado's etc during my refeeds

> being this retarded

Attached: 436CBD33-F987-4580-911F-1B315BAF9999.jpg (1390x1286, 192K)

that 5 will come back
you probably lost about 1-2 pounds of real weight

I know I'm gonna get that water weight back eventually but the last bit of fat in my lower gut looks smaller and I feel better. Maybe my eyes see what they want to see

22% bodyfat currently, want to drop to under 10%

OMEOD sound like a good plan at least until I’m able to move up to 72s?

Also does salad work as a good refeed?

9 lbs in 2 months is garbage. Start with a 24 hour fast. Re-feed on low carb, low fat, high protein. Then do a 48. Then 72. Then longer.

48s and 72s should be fine. Depends on the salad. Just keep it low fat and low carb. Get some protein in there.

mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/product/premium-bacon-ranch-salad-with-grilled-chicken.html

Unironically

21h of dry fasting for first time.feel fine but Im lil bit thirsty

Attached: pepothonk.png (300x300, 82K)

Depends on your activity level. For example when I fast I just do long walks in the sun which by day 3 I'll start taking snake juice as I start getting headaches otherwise.

>want to fast to cut fat
>want to put on muscle so need to eat high protein

Its all so difficult I dont know what to prioritize.

Lose fat now otherwise your future cut will drag on forever

I've done a few fasts before but now at 120h my heart is pounding like crazy at the sign of even the slightest physical exertion. Is this normal? Should I just refeed and continue after? I'm definitely going to eat on Friday but I could break now, do another 48-72 and proceed as planned.
It's better to put on muscle now and fast later, but you probably don't have enough time until beach season, depending how fat and dyel you are.

Honestly, I'd do a 72 hour dry fast. If you can pull it off, you can just do dry fasting, which yields the best, fastest results. And turns your will power up very high. When youbdream of water instead of food, you'll have less problems sticking to clean refeeds.

It's called heart palpatations. Yes, they're common with fasting. They go away, and eventually your body gets used to fasting and they don't happen or are very light.

I want to dry fast during the weekend, but I'll be working on an important assignment during that time. Is dry fasting not a good way to go if I need my brain to be functioning properly?

Is there a recommendation regarding weight % lifting, at least with palpitations? I don't want to snap my shit. Or should I just go for lower reps, perhaps with slightly higher weight? I find I tire quickly

You'll be fine, but the first time will be tough. So this weekend might not be the right time. You can try this if you want:

youtube.com/watch?v=HTitvqRRzr8

Or dry fast 8-12 hours a day at the end of day.

Lower intensity lifting is common with fasting. You can do higher rep/lower weight. No issue, and it will speed up weight loss.

I can't believe it, I don't wanna eat anymore. Is this what making it looks like?

No, but it's a sign you're going to. At least for fatties. Meet you on the other side, brah.

>Break 72 hour fast
>Eating wasn't as fun as I imagined it being

Can I take my prescription ssri or does that break a fast

First day is rough, after that you should be good to go

I started my refeed with a beef jerky I used to love, tasted like garbage

The 8-12 dry fast is interesting. Do you do it?

Currently on an OMAD routine where I consume aroung 600 Calories a day. The Bupropion I've been prescribed against my depression in combination with caffeine does wonders.
Is there anything I should keep in mind on this routine?

Every weekday, I ate least dry fast all day, then eat when I get home or fast until the next day.

can i do a 1 day dry fast instead of a 72?

What are your goals, height, and weight? If you are fat and need to lose fast (wet or dry) until you're dying, eat sub 500 kcal (no carbs), then repeat until not fat. Simple as

Attached: 1547236604668.jpg (623x742, 45K)

Try to dry fast 72 hours without them or anything else. That might balance your hormones, serotonin, or whatever else that is causing you to take ssri's in the first place. Then eat clean when you break it. Ideally, you want to get off that permanently if you can. Otherwise you can fast with them if you absolutely must.

>What are your goals, height, and weight?
well my goal was to get to 180 i was 230 as in december been doing 72s since january currently at 180 mark at 5'11 now my goal is to get rid of my man boobs, since im no longer a lardass and i can fit to normal human clothes i got back to do biking and i need to eat but i still want to loose fat, i cant no longer do 72s

Is it okay to use regular table salt as a soduiy Chloride source

>is it okay to use sodium chloride as a sodium chloride use

Oh okay. Getting more into the aesthetic phase. I'd start lifting everyday (not crazy, 60% max) at your own pace. Body weight only if you want. You can work out 2-3 times a day if you want. Then OMAD with 93% lean ground beef, lots of seasoning and a fruit or two. Sub 500 kcal. And dry fast 48 once a week. You will get super fit quickly this way.

Other than that you can experiment. You can eat more, fast, workout whenever, etc. See what works for you. Good job on getting to a reasonable weight.