Does playing an instrument help with losing weight?

Does playing an instrument help with losing weight?

Attached: bass.jpg (1200x1200, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3814522/
youtube.com/watch?v=PG2804ggsI0
youtube.com/watch?v=ju1FiSt0TOY
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not directly, but the discipline that's required to play an instrument well absolutely carries over not just into lifting, but all aspects of your life. If you don't believe me, just do a modicum of research on the cognitive benefits of playing an instrument. Plus, there's a similar sense of progression in music and strength training. You get the same satisfaction from adding another 10 lbs. on your dead lift as you might from playing 16th notes at 10 bpm faster than you did before.
>t. guitarist for 14 years.

thanks

this
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3814522/

My shoulders sometimes get sore if I slap da bass for too long, probably due to my bad form.

Playing bass helps with staying single.

Attached: 5E39789F-00BF-4DDC-95F4-1984713C48CB.jpg (700x1137, 88K)

Jokes on you, I play bass and fuck dudes.

Attached: 1554582678596.png (269x260, 189K)

If I play the guitar and piano does that make me bi? OwO

I've never seen a fat didgeridoo player

This image is gay, and doesn't even hold up today. Rock hasn't been cool for years, and the idea that you're gonna score a bunch of floozies just because you can sing is pretty laughable. If you want easy, trashy pussy, be a rapper or make electronic music. If you want to pursue a higher ideal, while joining a community of like minded individuals, pick an instrument and take it seriously. If you have to play guitar, at the very least learn some jazz theory and how to improvise while playing with other musicians. Don't be that guy with an acoustic guitar annoying the fuck out of everyone with your shitty cover of Wonderwall or Hallelujah.

I'm a classical guitar player and I'm pretty fat, so I'd say no

I hope so OwO

this user is giving out real wisdom
and this is easily my favorite post on 4channel for the month

You can't eat if you do something else

True

as a long time guitar player do you have any allround advice for learning players

Not him, but practice really consistently and stick to it. You're gonna suck for a while, but once you get over that hill it's great. Pay really close attention to your technique, especially if you don't have a teacher to spot issues. It sucks when you build up a habit that you may have to fix in the future.

Some other advice I got from a long time guitar player that I've yet to apply is to try playing in different styles, even ones you don't like. There's all sorts of backing tracks out there, especially for jazz.

this, except skip fucking jazz theory, just learn real theory instead

>1. Learn proper fretting and picking technique, and be mindful of the position of your wrists. Carpal tunnel syndrome is no joke.
>2. Consistency. You'll suck at first, and it won't seem like a lot of fun, but you just need to practice. If it's important to you, set aside time just for guitar.
>3. Practice with a metronome. You need to hone your natural sense of rhythm.
>4. Proper technique is to keep your movements smooth and relaxed. Actively work to eliminate any tension in your hands, wrists, and arms. You'll never be able to play fast if you're constantly working against the antagonist muscle groups.
>5. Learn your basic major/minor chord shapes, and the most common progressions using these chords (I, IV, V or vi, ii, V, I for example)
>6. Learn the major/minor scale and how to write melody using scale fragments over chord progressions
>7. Tabs are a useful shortcut when you're first getting started, but too many people use them as a crutch. As soon as you can, learn songs by ear.
>8. Make friends with musicians who are more experienced than you. Jam with them and you're bound to pick up things that might never have thought of otherwise.

Attached: BPL-Chris-Broderick-Live.jpg (980x653, 65K)

youtube.com/watch?v=PG2804ggsI0

no

>skin flute
>pipe organ
>meat whistle

Attached: black_beast_silver_bevels.jpg (497x663, 30K)

>youtube.com/watch?v=ju1FiSt0TOY

>or Hallelujah
>tfw when this is you.
Don't care, I do it cause it's fun to play, fuck my neighbors who have to listen everyday

Based as fuck. His picking hand technique is pretty bad though.

I sing for about an hour or so a day in the car during my commute. It certainly burns calories and I've noticed that I'm in a better mood when I get to sing in the car, which in turn makes me more likely to push myself in other areas, like work and exercise.

The problem with you fucks is you never arpeggio that shit but just mindlessly strum chords like baboons so nobody likes it except for those who sing it

I saw a lot of drummers very lean.
You train legs and arms constantly and sweat a lot.

>play oboe for a 3 years back in middle school, read music perfectly fine
>take piano in college for 3 years
>am apparently now musically dyslexic and get through performances by practicing until the piece is ingrained into muscle memory
How do I learn to read sheet music again?

>but the discipline that's required to play an instrument
I used to play 10 hours a day when I was a teenager, it required zero discipline, it was pure procrastination for me.

delete

No, but if you don't practice standing up, you end up wearing your guitar high like a nerd.

Practice standing up like you're performing, and hang your axe low. I usually pace while playing or act like I'm playing for people. I don't just stand around.

I make electronic music. I can tell you no one wants to be with you when you spend 8 hours a day ignoring them on your pc plugging away.
No one gets fucked because they play or make music, women don't care about your talents and will want you to quit them to spend time with them doing their shit. At first they'll be like, oh cool, then they'll be like, you do that all the time?

Like how do you think I got good at it?

Don't, I have no idea and I've written over 400 songs. Write your own.
I can read tabs, I don't bother to anymore, I just improvise anymore.

how does one arpeggio that shit?

I think he means play one note of the chord at a time up and down (higher to low vice versa, however you want.) to create a melody but basically the same chord progression.

Singing and playing guitar simultaneously is already hard enough as it is imo.

If that is what he means than he can fuck right off. Hallejulah is bitching with some modified Travis picking

If you can't do it properly then don't do it at all you half-assed bastard

This is why nobody likes you, you obnoxious fuck

I said play an instrument well. Noodling for hours on end doesn't make you good.

Bitches love it regardless and you are just jelly I can pull it off (it being a mediocre guitarist)

> if you can't do it properly then don't do it at all
>you obnoxious fuck
> This is why nobody likes you
idk, i feel like there's some projection happening here

it does though if it's enough hours

dude I could play freaking Recuerdos de la Alhambra, but when I'm singing I'm only gonna strum, idgaf.