ART VS SCIENCE

>be career scientist

>"artists" think they're the shit and science is just boring and mechanical

Artists are just low IQ losers who sit on the computer listening to furry music drawing furry characters and getting minimum wage selling fanart, which is more than they deserve.
I've never respected anyone for being talented at drawing or painting.
Even in elementary school people who would draw lifelike pictures were elevated to gods and I just thought it must be the most overrated talent ever. Along with singing, of course. None of this does society any good.

Attached: 1539203758441.jpg (477x600, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tGlXNJbvoiE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>getting minimum wage
Lol I wish, OP. 90% of artists are not getting paid, the rest make r34

You just used art to express your emotions in your OP. Art plays a huge role in society. If you're unable to see that and say its useless you're a fucking retard.

The fact that you're trying to think two completely different things can be superior or inferior to one another. That's like saying a razor is better than a lawnmower

Attached: 1cedc6e629cfb8cc467e30a946bb59aac02eba1a04d1ee1ab0f54558997997cf_1.gif (440x250, 634K)

The only sciences that suck are biology and physics. Chemistry is okay.

historic art belongs in museums not furry "art"

Very rarely does an artist think he's "the shit". Most of them are weird people that often have low self esteem and other mental health issues. I think you're just still mad and bitter about being called a nerd by the cool kids.

Haven't you noticed how our society is overvaluing entertainment in general?
Youtube is literally 99% of people's lives these days. We're an entertainment society and it's worrying.

Art is needed to keep people entertained and docile. Boredom cause stupid weird shit to happen. Anti-social behavior arises out of boredom too.

youtu.be/tGlXNJbvoiE

Dude biology and physics are the best sciences, right behind astronomy that is, the king of science

stargazing doesnt fix shit. I have more respect for people who invent weapons of mass destruction than you nerds.

So what field of science are you in OP?

Use art to dump your useless emotions somewhere, free your brain for more science

You're so lucky you're not from Brazil user. Here all "artists" and anybody who's interested in it are either low IQ homosexuals or leftist women. I fucking hate artists in this shithole country.

Attached: 1531534303689.gif (250x250, 192K)

I never got why people try to do art at all, nothing else is as futile. A coherent gaze unravels unending errors in every drawing. An eloquent mind rephrases books better than the author ever could. A trained ear hears every time lapse and volume inconsistency. Maybe it's just me but my tastes have only gotten harder to please with time, and I already started with high set bars.

>mocks art
>is a career scientist
I thought scientists were supposed to be smart. How much science is in art? ask me?
ASK ME YOU GOON!!!!

Not to mention understanding science helps you understand art better
the world is a beautiful place. YOU GODDAMN NUMBER CRUNCHER
Math faggots make me sick

Yes indeed, art can't be perfected, which is why you don't try to do that.

I make music and what really fascinates me in that is how you can use it to "encapsulate" feelings, vibes, situations, atmospheres etc.

I don't care if I can't represent these things as vividly and strongly as the very best artists that exist or have existed, so long as I manage to do it to a degree that satisfies me (which is not very difficult, admittedly).

Then you're neither an artist nor a human being in my eyes. There's nothing wrong with you having that kind of opinion but honestly there isn't much difference between an ape smashing together rocks and your self-fellating actions. In my eyes you've failed as a human and I'm dearly sorry for your animal mindset.

>you can't do something perfectly therefore just give up
What line of reasoning is that? Why does something have to be perfect to be worth making? Besides, the standards for "perfect" when it comes to art are subjective at best. The critique of art goes beyond judging the technical execution
Ahh so you're just a pretentious fart sniffer then. Can't say I didn't suspect it from the first post

I don't even know why I bother replying, but clearly OP doesn't know shit about art and it's history

>you're neither an artist nor a human being
This is abysmally retarded, how should I even adress this? No really, what am I supposed to talk back here?
>there isn't much difference between an ape smashing together rocks and your self-fellating actions
It's just a way to enjoy myself like any other, is any form of seeking pleasure self-fellation? Is pleasure purely an animal thing? Is living a life of suffering what makes me human?

>What line of reasoning is that?
My line of reasoning? Had you managed to read my first post in its entirety you'd have seen that I've admitted to being hard to please entertainment-wise.
>Ahh so you're just a pretentious fart sniffer then.
Why does my opinion offend you so much you have to resort to namecalling like a small child? You do you if that behavior is what makes you content, but I went into this thread with genuine interest in the topic.

> resort to namecalling like a small child
Who started with the insults again? I dunno but I remember it being you, albeit a bit more eloquent.
>My line of reasoning
Well then expand on that reasoning dumb-dumb. For now you've just made a statement about how you don't understand why people create art and then you blew your own horn about how hard to please you are.

Attached: 1541618143187.png (500x309, 157K)

>It's just a way to enjoy myself like any other,
As I've written, there is nothing wrong with that.
>is any form of seeking pleasure self-fellation? Is pleasure purely an animal thing? Is living a life of suffering what makes me human?
That's a lot of different questions whose answer seems to depend on subjective beliefs. I'd suggest you inquire to someone who has a deep interest in philosophy, I'm not the right person for those questions.

>be scientist
>be artist as well
feels good to have a well-rounded intellect.

Op why are you so angry towards artist. Did an artist fuck your gay boyfriend while you were in a lab for eighty hours last week?

>Who started with the insults again? I dunno but I remember it being you, albeit a bit more eloquent.
Are you baiting? This has to be bait. Refer to your post .
>Well then expand on that reasoning dumb-dumb.
If that's what'll get you off my back? I assume the person I responded to is doing music as his primary pastime. The way he described his antics within that does not qualify for someone to be considered an artist, or a human for that matter, by my standards.

All art is quite useless - Oscar Wilde.

>Are you baiting? This has to be bait.
Well then refer to your post here to see who started insulting people
>The way he described his antics within that does not qualify for someone to be considered an artist, or a human for that matter, by my standards.
Then you've got a really fucking stupid definition for both of those terms. What exactly is it that makes him such a subhuman in your eyes? Experimentation is inherent to any artistic expression. Or do you think any work of art is perfect from the get go? Or that the artist always has a crystal clear image of what he wants to make?

Truly fiction writers are the upperclass of civilization.
While scientists dedicate their entire life to one thread of existence and artists draw within frames, fiction writers have unlimited possibilities and can even create that which doesn't yet exist.
Perception is petty in comparison to ideas. Fiction leads nonfiction.
You wouldn't even be able to start if you didn't first make up a fictional story and call it a hypothesis.

Attached: 1547351508152.gif (400x307, 1.11M)

OP is retarded, art is one of the most pivotal things in human history, and the fact that it can be created truly shows how amazing we are as a species. Art can express ones emotions, and can fill you with them as well. A good art piece can impact your entire life, this goes for paintings, drawings, film, vidya and every other possible form of art.

Art brings us anime girls and hentai, and that is crucial for civilization.

First off here's the full quote:

"We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.

All art is quite useless."

And here's a transcript of a letter Wilde wrote to expand on that quote:

My dear Sir

Art is useless because its aim is simply to create a mood. It is not meant to instruct, or to influence action in any way. It is superbly sterile, and the note of its pleasure is sterility. If the contemplation of a work of art is followed by activity of any kind, the work is either of a very second-rate order, or the spectator has failed to realise the complete artistic impression.

A work of art is useless as a flower is useless. A flower blossoms for its own joy. We gain a moment of joy by looking at it. That is all that is to be said about our relations to flowers. Of course man may sell the flower, and so make it useful to him, but this has nothing to do with the flower. It is not part of its essence. It is accidental. It is a misuse. All this is I fear very obscure. But the subject is a long one.

Truly yours,

Oscar Wilde

It can only really accentuate what is alreay there. It is really quite overrated. A leisurely activity at best.

It's useless. That's what he's saying. Whether he thinks there is some value that is irrelevant.

you need art for a lot of things desu. or everything would look like shit. furfags are not needed though

>be career scientist.
You mean college student? Actual adult professionals have more nuanced views than the STEM vs humanities autism and memes that kids care about.

Never disagreed that he said that. I just hate when someone posts an incomplete quote without any context. I disagree with what he said though.My definition of usefullness is just different

you don't have a spirit and people like you will lead us to a horrible technocratic dystopia

Art as a whole (music, film, literature, etc.) is undoubtedly beneficial to society. I never understood paintings, though. It seems fun if you're good at it, but I don't really see a point. I've never felt emotion just looking at a painting.

I'm asking you all those questions (including the "what am I supposed to talk back here") because I want to see you expand on those specific points, because I want to understand how you reason. If all you have to say is "ask someone who knows better", then honestly just leave this thread. If on the contrary though, then how the fuck is an ape smashing rocks equivalent to an artist creating? Isn't this ignoring the massive difference in intellect between one activity and the other?

Without Art to express themselves human would be no different than other animals.

Attached: AndrejTarkovskijSergeiParajanovontheopeningofAlimRidginashviliexhibitionYuriMechitovTbilisi1981www.c (500x313, 38K)

>artist or scientist

Why not both? see pic related

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (28 August 1749 - 22 March 1832) was a German writer and statesman. His works include four novels epic and lyric poetry prose and verse dramas memoirs an autobiography literary and aesthetic criticism; and treatises on botany, anatomy, and colour. In addition, there are numerous literary and scientific fragments, more than 10,000 letters, and nearly 3,000 drawings by him extant.

Attached: Johann_Heinrich_Wilhelm_Tischbein_-_Goethe_in_der_roemischen_Campagna.jpg (2421x1902, 1.91M)

>lvl 1 SCIENCE VS ART crook
>lvl 100 CEO boss

Attached: 1541438131188.png (428x533, 372K)

PUMP LIKE THAT

Attached: IMG_20181031_013703.jpg (273x273, 11K)

I wish I knew how to draw, poor me is stuck at stick figures

Attached: 1503963268738.jpg (800x565, 101K)

>I've never respected anyone for being talented at drawing or painting.
Good thing no one cares what you respect

Its more like saying a lawnmower is better than a pan.

A lawn mower, a razor and a pan all serve a purpose. It's like saying a hammer is better than your pet rock.

Art serves a purpose. Art can convey complex feelings or ideas, present new ideas to the observer or just bring happiness to people. It might not be a straight forward or perhaps materialistic purpose but I'd say it's still a purpose. Comparing art to some boomer meme toy really is quite insulting to art

>None of this does society any good.

Just make sure to hold on to that thought while you toil away in obscurity and all those artists you hate are adored both in small scale and large scale.

Galileo wrote poetry. Stop being a singled-minded drone.

I'm sure the pet rock can evoke some emotion in you as well. Outside of politcal art(propaganda) or philosophical art(a subtler form of propaganda) art really has no purpose but to entertain.

You're either being stupid and/or your definition of propaganda includes reminding people not to rape and murder each other or to love life or to contemplate meaning or to seek knowledge. At that point, what use is there in calling it propaganda?

Maybe you should rape and murder other people.

I love their Art Vs Science music too!!

F*ck you Ieatherman.

Chemistry is just applied physics

Physics is just applied mathematics.

mathematics is just applied god

God is just applied mathematics.

>useless """scientist""" who WILL be forgotten IMMEDIATELY after he dies using art to convey a message
Lol

You will be replaced, NPC.

Attached: 1525520946106.jpg (319x319, 16K)

If it weren't for artists we wouldn't have any cute 2d women to wank to.

Attached: loliuzivert.if-20190115-0001.jpg (750x861, 80K)

Imagine the level of autism you need to reach to think people like Michelangelo or Mozart are anything but god like geniuses. Wow you can do some math that was teached to you like some trained dog, you really are the peak of human intelligence

This right here, most mathematicians are just average, and most mathematics is inconsequential