Lads, redpill me on alcohol. I know that the ideal situation is to quit it completely...

Lads, redpill me on alcohol. I know that the ideal situation is to quit it completely, but what about that "a glass of wine a day is good for your heart" shit?
Is it a meme? Am not a heavy drinker, i only drink a couple of beers when out with friends in weekends, should I just quit it completely or is there some form of benefits?

Pic unrelated.

Attached: japan_grills.jpg (720x1087, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21560041
pastebin.com/ZsEiWLiE
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3172777
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I personally don't drink after the gym because it fucks with gains

Attached: Arnold Senranegger.jpg (495x297, 60K)

Social benefits exclusively. The wine for your heart isn’t because of the alcohol, it’s whatever else is in it. Antioxidants or something. But a couple beers on the weekends doesn’t do much harm, definitely can keep doing it unless you’re trying to get some ridiculously low bf%

up to you, but the more you drink the slower your progress will be

a couple beers once a week isn't going to stop you from making it

The worst thing about alcohol is the culture, which is what no one wants to talk about.
The absolute bottom of the barrel worst people go out clubbing/drinking every weekend on your favourite strip.

Meanwhile, Fortunato sterotypes are everywhere. Men feigning masculinity by drinking expensive hard alcohol for social status, trying to impress others by being drunkards.

Have a beer sometimes. The fact you're asking about it means you're aware of yourself. Don't let it overlap your ideals, personality or time.

Yeah its a meme bro alcohol in moderation is not going to kill gains. If you watch the Ronnie Coleman doc he ascribes his first Sandow trophy to having a cheeky vodka binge with his friend and competitor

>glass of wine a day is good for your heart
That's a meme people say to justify their habit to drink every day.
You literally get the same anti-oxidants from regular grape juice

I recently stopped drinking all together and have never felt better. I was just drinking out of habit and one night my stomach just felt fucked up after having a beer and I figured it's time to give it up for at least a bit. The extra energy I have outweighs the buzz

Alcohol gives me insomnia and I refuse to drink it

I wanna try this as well, but I love having a beer with my friends, and so do they.

What do your friends think of it?

f...friends?

What's up user, former heavy drinker here, now I only drink once every few months. Removing alcohol skyrocketed my gains. I had been stalled out for so long that I was convinced I was close to my natty limit and was even convincing steroids, until I got pilled on booze. Alcohol does the following:
>Reduces your testosterone for up to three days
>Diminishes your sleep quality
>Increases cortisol
>Inhibits muscle protein synthesis
>Burdens your liver, thereby stalling fat metabolism

Stay woke

"few beers at the weekend" is never just a few. Thing is you need alcohol to be social. I have a very high tolerance because I'm huge and it usually takes me 14-18 double whiskies to get me drunk, so to calm down I started drinking less in social situations. Being around drunk people when you're sober is not fun, really annoying and makes you feel like you've wasted your time and money.

I now only drink once a month and am tee-total the rest of the time. The day after heavy drinking I'll go to the sauna to sweat, have an extra long cardio session and have an extra healthy day meal wise.

Aside from the calories, the negative effects only start after your second serving of alcohol in a day, or after your first if you're a woman.

So there are cardiovascular benefits to modest alcohol consumption, but when you account for the added risk of cancer, it's a net negative in terms of mortality at any level of consumption.

Now at a very low level of consumption it's a relatively small increase in mortality. But it's still notably negative.

I don't imagine everything you do in life is about minimizing mortality risk so I think it's a balancing act. A glass of wine once or twice a month is really only going to carry a very small risk, if any, and it probably comes with social gains.

But drinking 7 drinks a week? Whew, think again

Just get non-alcoholic beer for yourself. You're still a fun guy even when sober, right, user?

Attached: 1551646791588.png (1000x1000, 177K)

but then grape juice tastes like shit and doesn't lower anxiety levels and increase energetic behaviour, does it.

The heart health thing is legit, but nowhere near as big an effect as people used to believe. Those old studies were flawed in that the "non drinking" populations used often included people who had stopped drinking due to health issues. Newer studies and meta analyses have confirmed the effect across all alcohol, so it's not just antioxidants in red wine.

HOWEVER, it also increases your risk for several different kinds of cancer. Also the frequency/amounts of alcohol consumed have an effect and I haven't read all the studies but I think a lot of them are using ranges of 1-2 drinks a day for men, 1 for women. That's a lot to me, I think a few drinks on the weekend and not to the point of intoxication is probably petty safe. Consider the other effects of drinking, too, like how many calories of alcohol you're consuming and if it's effecting your eating habits. I don't have citations off the top of my head but could dig some up if anybody really cares.

As with most fitness and diet advice like 90% of it seems like common sense...although perhaps it's not that common idk.

Just do you, man.

def. a meme. It's however a nice thing to do, but don't fool yourself about "health benefits".

pretty much this

also semi-alcohol here. I recently stopped drinking everyday and go for weeks-long sobriety streaks. The difference in gains is unbelievable, I'm now able to break a pr of at least one lift/week, I had hit a plateau a few months back and couldn't get past through it.

Also, you can eat a lot more without getting fat, so it obviously helps with the gains.

tl;dr: if you drink a little once a week, it won't affect you that much. If you drink everyday it WILL be your worst gains goblin.

can confirm
been on state-monitored sobriety for little over a year (don't ask) and i am in the best mental health of my life. very happy and very energetic. also nice to know that i don't need alcohol to have fun. just drink coffee if you want a buzz.
the real redpill is drinking things that make you high-energy not things that make you low-energy. what a fucking concept

I recommend going multiple weeks between drinking. The amount of time it takes for your natural test levels to fully recover is just not worth it.

Alcohol is a depressent

The antioxidants in wine are actually way more bioavailable than the ones found in un-fermented grape skins, but it's not like there isn't an abundant supply of other anti-oxidants that don't require you to consume alcohol.

When I stopped drinking it pissed my old friends off. I don’t think it was a conscious thing but every time I didn’t drink when they did they likely felt attacked or judged by me abstaining from what they were doing. Truth be told I didn’t give a shit about what they were doing but it didn’t matter. It’s like getting fit and eating healthy around fatties, everything you do is an attack on them. If everything your friends do involves alcohol in some capacity then be prepared to find a new social group.

Alcohol is a selective depressant that works in a pattern, it starts by inhibiting neural neclei that are involved in inhibiting/depressing your nervous system before it moves on and depressed the rest of it. This is why people who drink a little bit are often more energetic and outgoing than when they're sober, but then end up slowing down or passing out when they drink more.

> a cheeky vodka binge with his friend and competitor

Ronnie drank water, sabotaged his competition. Genius.

They dont care

Oh god get this mom science out of here

no drinking is reserved for societal rejects and people a well developed person of taste would not want to hang out with.

No surprise there are a bunch of straight edge faggots on this board of misfits

Imagine drinking past high school.
The fun part of drinking used to be getting retarded with the boys and doing really stupid shit
Now the point of drinking is lowering social inhibitions, which there are many way better substances for (imagine not having a jar of phenibut powder in the current year)

This isn't mom science you dumb retard, it's been well studied and known for decades. It literally inhibits your inhibitory neurons first, which is why it has stimulant-like effects at lower dosages despite chemically being a depressant. You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21560041

>Imagine drinking past high school.
Imagine being such a degenerate that you are already burnt out on alcohol several years before you even reach legal drinking age.

>HOWEVER, it also increases your risk for several different kinds of cancer.

By any significant levels or is it one of those +0,007% kind of things?

Nah his comp provided the bottle and poured lol nice try tho

You got shit friends. A lot of my friends smoke, and when I quit they were very supportive and would not let me bum any of their cigarettes. They'd even give me a ration of shit if I relapsed.

Did you read the abstract at all? Or did you just read the first 4 words, then copy/pasted from facebook post that cited this paper?
ased heart rate and aggression

Actual Biologist here.
Any potential beneficial health effects (vitamins, lowered cholesterol etc) are vastly outweighed by the risks it poses to the brain, overall carcinogenicity and your general biochemistry

>it raises your risk of cancer
So what?

I can't give you any specific numbers and full disclosure I'm not trained to interpret statistical data, so maybe somebody else who is can answer. Obviously it varies between different types of disease and the relationship between amount of alcohol consumed and risk of disease is not always linear. It's all expressed as RR (Relative Risk), which is not always easy to interpret either because, as I understand it, it depends on baseline risk.
This report from the World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research breaks it down, and there's another meta-analysis here pastebin.com/ZsEiWLiE

Shit's complicated, and there's no shortage of disagreement about the minutia, but there is general consensus about the conclusions

FUCK THIS SPAM FILTER, I GIVE UP. FUCK YOU MOOT. I'm trying pastebin if that doesn't work I dunno

>old friends
Yes they were shit. I don’t tolerate crabs in a bucket. But it didn’t become clear until I stopped doing what they were doing. I was just letting the dude know that his friends might be shittier than he thinks because he’s playing their game.

Based Asukaposter

I want a Qt asian gril to sit on my face :(

I was stuck at 195 but drank a 12 pack of 95 calorie beer 3x a week. I have been sober for 90 days, never want to drink again and I just hit 175 and I have never had more energy and sex drive is off the charts. should have quit a long time ago

isn't a net negative in mortality decreased risk of death

BREHS

Even the lowest amount such as less than half a pint can disrupt muscle-protein synthesis and kill your gains. Stay away from the liquid gains killer and don’t listen to any alcoholics ITT, they’re in denial.

>source : google “alcohol muscle protein synthesis”

daily wine is for depressed white roasties who will suicide by 40 because they have no family

when your drink your body quits any other food related processes (fat burning, muscle building, digestion, etc) so it will hamper whatever you're trying to accomplish for a window around when you drink

Alcohol is always bad. It’s not like there is some balance like fats and sugers, it is poison.
A little bit won’t kill you but it is never good.

based recovering alcoholic poster

Based autist

Thanks user, I really needed this. Been working on breaking the habit lately because I can see it effecting my gains. I’m on day 2 of no drinking, and I usually drink 4 or 5 drinks of whiskey a night.

Alcohol is a poison. There is no such thing as a good amount of any poison.

That said, it's a fun poison, and its a drug. Alcohol is hard to get away from in western culture, where it has been engrained for thousands of years. It's one of those things where you can technically abstain for all time, but most people just accept the risk and take it in moderation. If you're drinking everyday, you're fucking up.

Personally, I take the 'everything in moderation, even moderation' approach because we're all going to die anyway, and based on my family history, I have much bigger worries than a few beers. I'll allow myself a couple of nights a week where I'll have a glass of wine, or a couple beers, or a couple drams of whiskey. I even appreciate getting smashed on occasion, but that's far less often, and I know how to avoid embarrassment because I've been around the block.

It's up to you, OP. I like the way I live, but you don't have to. I'd chillax about it if I were you, and allow myself to enjoy alcohol without it becoming an addiction or a habit.

The healthy substance in wine is resveratrol. You can get it in capsules now. Ditch drinking, it is a gains goblin. At the very least, limit it to very rarely, like holidays/vacations/special events.

Get a sugarless soda or a nonalcoholic beer.
If your friends are not cunts, they won't mind.

I only drink when I'm on a date and it would be impolite to let her drink alone. And even then only wine or cider, and champagne on New Years.
But I'm a recovering alcoholic.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3172777
> All groups exhibited both depressed and elevated testosterone levels, depending upon the time after drinking (fast beer drinkers) and upon the amount of alcohol (fast wine drinkers).
Literally kills your gains

No Kevin brought the drinks. Ronnie had never drank before that