MATH VS ART

>math is the most important thing in life
>99% of people prefer art, entertainment, Youtube and worshipping celebrities

Why is it so hard for you to understand that everything related to entertainment is futile and destructive? It releases dopamine so you think it's "fun" but fun is dangerous drug, my friend.
Yeah, even Michelangelo was pretty much just a Youtube meme of his time, wasting thousands of hours on assembled paint when he could've debugged the programming of the universe.

>"Wow you can do some math that was teached to you like some trained dog"
At least I can spell "taught". Try actually learning math. If you reach level one, you'll realize math is a language that describes and predicts things that hold true, and there's no limit to how far you can go with it. You're the only limit. Art differs from math in the way that art tries to do the same but it isn't true and it doesn't develop you or anyone else in any way. It can only destroy you.

Attached: MUISTA MAKSAA LASKUT.png (1024x521, 882K)

Art should only be used as a method of relaxation so you have the strength to do more math.

>paintings
More like toilet paper

Paintings are a good way to decorate your math chamber though.

>Left brain society
Michelangelo and similar renaissance artists had very practical art. The technical skill required to git gud in art is admirable. Math is fucking boring and frustrating. I'll admit that math is a necessity for problem solving tho.

>MUH STEM
And where exactly has your math and science faggotry gotten you, you self-destructive losers?

Attached: 220px-Unabomber.jpg (220x265, 24K)

>Math is fucking boring

You do realize we live in a degenerate society of rapists and brainlet idiots because of this attitude?

Math opens up your mind better than any drug and it actually makes you a better person.
Math people make good life choices.

>unabomber

Never understood that guy. He was a math genius but made the idiotic assumption that terrorism is a good way to get his book read.
He has correct ideas on society and humanity itself but the terrorism part was an IQ 60 call to be honest. Maybe his mind just collapsed on itself as he couldn't deal with the errors of human life, and he couldn't hold it all together.
Such a waste. He should've just stayed a mathematician and become the kind of wagie he probably hated. That way he could've actually made a difference. Now he's seen as a lunatic and he should've seen that coming.

How is contributing to the creation of roko's basilisk a good life choice by any standard?

Attached: c4d.jpg (488x2046, 687K)

While I'd love to have the attitude of working through a complicated math problem as a satisfying process that is fun, instead I see the whole process as tedious. I'm glad you think its fun though.

BUT LEE ARHTT MUH FEELINGS , WE NEED MUH FEELINGS, arhtist havv emotional inteliguns, arht guud because muh feelings feel gud, let me spread random patterns of color and produce different frequencies it will make me more smarter.!

Attached: EaqFOiA.jpg (500x584, 43K)

It must be difficult to live with this much autism. My condolences.

Artist are most dumbest people ever to walk on face of this earth.
And why do you think all artist are same emotional irrational idiots? Well Art requires you to do everything by MUH FEELING, MUH FEELS GUD this painting , FEELS gud this sounds, Muh feels Gud this stupid shit...etc.
Everything is based around Muh Gud feelings and around showing off to each other and collecting likes and praises.

Artist are lowest of low imbeciles that think they are doing something important in world yet they just doing mental masturbation.

Attached: 1546926149844.jpg (1038x1049, 417K)

Reminder IQ is why you're alone and bitter on Jow Forums and EQ is why all those dumb artists are happy to paint pictures about their feeling and socialize with people. IQ might give you a good idea, but if you're an autist like OP you'll never get anywhere.

True story time
>be me, kid
>Heccin good at Maths. Straight As
>Lonely af
>literally tfw 2 smart
>become 16
>smoke the reefer
>suddenly artist
>creative and shit
>do fine art degree
>get laid
>finally happy

Never maffs. Not even once

All Artist I met were depressed freaks abusing drugs especially DUDE WEED LMAO, because it gives them muh inspirations (made up bullshit).

Artists are heavily unbalanced people whos whole life is revolved around impressing others with their shitty art crap that doesn't help world in any way.
Lets be fair pair of good made shoes will be more useful to world than all art combined.
pic related

Attached: vCnD5DK.png (1170x666, 406K)

utilitarians are more useful dead as their corpses have a variety of uses.

Wouldn't say math helps to make better choices or make you a better person. But definitely learning math makes you more humble. Every time I learn something new about math I just feel so stupid for thinking I know enough.

Humans are emotional beings. Acting as if you're some brain genius who's beyond it and sees pure logic and reason exclusively only makes you more susceptible to the emotions and biases you absolutely have.

Art is a form of expression and communication, one of the most fundemental things to humanity and civilization. Through art such as books, films, etc, important ideas are spread, including those about, you guessed it, math and sciences. It's also inseparable from the world. everything surrounding you has been carefully designed with art and math as well.

Art help makes the world not fucking even more boring and insufferable than it already is. Minmaxing into math as if you can only choose one thing to do or care about is hilarious, and the attitude of acting like you're somehow smarter for not being able to appreciate art is really cute and some high school tier shit

Art is crap and totally subjective.
>Art help makes the world not fucking even more boring
This shows how much of brainlet you are and can't find mathematical concept beautiful and interesting. Thank god we had people who were able to realize beauty of Math and Science or else we would be stuck in stone age because of faggots like you

You are low IQ impulsive brainlet who searches for instant dopamine release which art provides. Math provides deep spiritual enlightment that you can't possibly comprehend.

Attached: 1546681713036.jpg (1200x911, 86K)

Actual mathfag here.
You're wrong.

bye

>Art is crap and totally subjective.

So is life.

>Art is crap and totally subjective.
Yeah it is subjective. you have to use critical thinking skills and think for yourself about what you consume. i understand thatd be hard for you
saying its subjective isnt some gotcha shit. there's subjectivity in almost everything. economics is subjective. mathematicians argue over subjective aspects of math shit all the time
>This shows how much of brainlet you are and can't find mathematical concept beautiful and interesting.
Who says i cant? do you think at some point in your life you have to pick math or art and are only allowed to pick one and stay with that? theyre completely separate things for different people
>Thank god we had people who were able to realize beauty of Math and Science or else we would be stuck in stone age because of faggots like you
what do you think itd accomplish exactly if everyone just went all out exclusively in mathematics. It's not like the people here, me or you, would be one of the top mathematicians of the world contributing to grand problems. you can have some people be scientists and some people be doctors.

just because you're unable to understand or appreciate art, significant arts and how its advanced culture and society doesnt mean its bad. just means you're retarded.

lol this exactly proves my point. This entire arguement is all emotional reactionary kneejerk screaming based on gut feelings

high school kids who think theyre these enlightened stemlords above the emotions of these peasant normies and are able to be these beings of pure logic and reason just make themselves at the complete will of their own biases and emotions by failing to recognize them

>Everything related to entertainment is futile and destructive.
If you are an atheist you would believe there is no afterlife. Living your life to the fullest is the only option you have. You could either use that life to do something to further humanity, which eventually become meaningless, or you could spend your life devoted to entertainment, which also becomes meaningless. So what do you do? You could either find purpose in benefiting humanity or simply benefiting from all of the things humanity can offer. You might be laughing from that high pedastal of yours but at the end of the day, your emotion of fulfillment is also running through that social part of your brain that tells you helping the community actually means anything. To each their own I would say, there is no right or wrong option, no ultimate path, unless you believe in God. Simply devote your life to what you see fit.

>Art
Immitation of nature/expression of human emotion

>Math
Expression of understanding nature through logic, explaining quantities and structures primarily.

Video games=a great blend of both art and math. When you play games that use math in a way to express realism e.g. most games use health and damage, these are both expressed through math. The way many RPG's use math with many different stats and variables to create mechanics in games that really feel like a real world experience . That is all basically math and you are then seeing an artistic expression of all of that on the screen.

They are both rel relevant in their own right. Its dumb to say one has more merit than the other.

>you'll realize math is a language that describes and predicts things that hold true, and there's no limit to how far you can go with it
Not even true within the realms of mathematics

Attached: 1527792646317.jpg (212x270, 21K)

only smart post in the thread sorry autists

>He has correct ideas on society and humanity itself but the terrorism part was an IQ 60 call to be honest. Maybe his mind just collapsed on itself as he couldn't deal with the errors of human life, and he couldn't hold it all together.
>Such a waste. He should've just stayed a mathematician and become the kind of wagie he probably hated. That way he could've actually made a difference. Now he's seen as a lunatic and he should've seen that coming.

How can you make judgments like this against someone higher up in math than you, if math is everything like you claim? Also: subjective judgments like 'good decision vs bad decision' are closer to art than math. So you're using subjective, non-mathematical, 'right brained' thinking to question the life choices of a mathematician. Incidentally this is the whole problem of scientists who criticize philosophy as being un-scientific: to criticize philosophy is to engage in philosophy, and all the criteria for 'what is science' is the domain of philosophy.

Another thing really obvious thing these idiots miss is that bashing art isn't math. There's no mathematical theorem proving that art is shit. So if everything worthwhile has to be grounded in math then your claim that art is worthless is worthless. Literally if you think that subjective human expression is worthless then you think that everything you yourself say is worthless, apart from your precious math homework.

You're either 15 or ignorant beyond belief.
The simplest thing I can answer to you is that the things you think are absolutes and truths are not absolutes or truths. Math too has the axioms behind it, which by definition, are unproveable. There is limits in what we can know, with math too. Godels incompleteness theorems pretty clearly state that there's stuff out there that we can't know, even of it was true. And I wouldn't call art fun, it's an expression and those aren't always fun.
I could write more about this stuff but I won't make a difference because you've already chosen what you wanna believe.
tldr grow up
And yeah, I like math too.

>Math too has the axioms behind it, which by definition, are unproveable.

Yeah set theory in particular has a lot of that.

Not OP but this is unironically how I think.

A change in attitude is not going to make mathematics any less mundane.

What if I'm a brainlet that's terrible at math? Should I just focus on math 12-16 hours a day until I get good at it?

>why should you enjoy life?

Math is easy to understand. Simple input, output. People do not like it because it is mundane. Unless you work in the stock market, you really cannot use math to a great advantage. Most of us realize that the problems mathematics solves are not worth the effort, especially since people like you volunteer to do it for us.

Math makes life better, art makes essence beyond humanity.
fuck art school though lol

>Math is easy to understand. Simple input, output
>"I haven't taken anything beyond Calculus before."

lmao @ ur autist ass

There is no conflict between the two

I have a BS in math but my career isn't math related so I've largely forgotten a good chunk of it. From what I remember from my undergrad, most people just outright can't into mathematics. I remember in calculus, a lot of the people around me were struggling because my professor went "too fast". I thought he went too slow personally, I remember getting 100 on the first exam and people acting like I'm some fucking genius. In my first proofs course, like 33% of the class dropped out first month. They just couldn't do it. By then I realized that most people are just kind of dumb and incapable of understanding mathematics. The arts are easier to parse and understand for the average person.

Attached: 1541039495050.jpg (600x652, 59K)

What career are you user?

My point stands that mathematics is a tool, like a wrench. It is supposed to be used. Enjoying problem solving with math is like fixing a car, you may be glad when the car is fixed, but the work may still be unpleasant. Wrenches are not for pleasure, dont stick them up your ass. Math is about the end result. That feeling of accomplishment after solving a problem is the same dopamine rush that artists get. Most people do not want to expend the effort mathematics requires. Doing math doesnt have a great enough reward, like hanging a turd from a stick instead of a carrot.

Medicine, currently a resident. I majored in math in my undergrad because I thought it would look good on the med school application, it did.

I am someone who understands maths and is good at it, yet it bores the fuck out of me. I would've loved to have been born with other talents, such as sociability, over mathematic intelligence.
I would love to be an artist. I would loathe to be an engineer, in fact I dropped out cause it was boring me insane.
Yeah most people are brainlets, but I'm not sure that's the reason they dislike maths. Imo maths are just boring as fuck.

Why do something you don't enjoy? Fuck society. This universe isn't special, what you discover about it isn't good or evil or mysterious or weird or crazy, it just is. Stop being a math virgin because you're looking towards a 'greater' thing when it doesn't exist.

You are right. Mathematics isnt with the effort.

poop vs shit

I don't disagree with you, I didn't pursue anything in math because I have literally zero interest in doing so. But undoubtedly the brainlet aspect is a huge one. Math was probably the smallest STEM major at my uni, by far. Meanwhile stuff like biology is packed to capacity. I've never met anyone that actually likes biology, I'm sure they exist but pretty much everyone I've met hates bio. Most of my fellow pre-med people hated biology with a passion but did it because the other STEM options were harder. Bio is literally just memorization and requires zero actual thought. Chemistry was always an option but it was also a really small major. A lot of people struggle in even general chemistry which is an absolute joke of a course.

While the boredom aspect is a real one, people really are just dumb.

Yeah it's true. It's easy to hate things you're frustratingly bad at, specially when it comes to stuff like maths that we're forced to do for the first 18 years of our life, even if it is at a very basic level. That doesn't mean you love everything you're good at.

What gpa would you suggest for medical school? What was your gpa?

3.5 GPA minimum if you're a white male/female. 3.8 if you're Indian. Medical schools suggest 3.0, and while its possible to get in with a 3.0, its extremely unlikely unless you're black or middle eastern or some other brown group so you better have a 3.5 at least to be even remotely competitive.

I graduated with a 3.9 with honors in math. I got cheeky with my psychology professor and she gave me a B.

Is race that important to medical schools?

Yes. Its not even a secret, they're pretty overtly open about it.

Well it was a good way to get his book read.

The guy trying to suck his own cock is still far more artistic than that fucking carved stick.

But isn't that discrimination? How is that fair?

Call me once you have found a solution for the issue Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem presents.

Except he doesnt have he flexibility.

>Yeah, even Michelangelo was pretty much just a Youtube meme of his time, wasting thousands of hours on assembled paint when he could've debugged the programming of the universe.
your stance on intellectualism is awful and you are hopelessly naive but this made me laugh out loud

art is not necessarily entertainment
on the contrary, instead of a dopamine rush it often serves as a tool to stimulate critical thinking and confront you with imagery that is not pleasant or easy to look at and therefore opens up new pathways in your brain
you are either incredibly shallow or incredibly aspie

>>math is the most important thing in life
BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached: dum.jpg (536x625, 52K)

Math and engineering make the world more liveable, but art is the reason I want to live

See, that's what makes the piece interesting.
The guy is masturbating and trying very hard to suck his own cock, so he's hoping he can get at least a little bit of the sucking before he inevitably creampies his own face.

I'm not saying it's high artistry, but it's works to make you vividly feel the thing the man depicted is feeling.

Obviously it is but medicine gets away with all sorts of shitty practices. Residents like me are pretty much slaves. In my state they had to enact a law to limit the amount of hours we worked because they worked us for over 24 hours straight at a time. Its just the status quo.

People justify the race thing all sorts of ways. Underprivileged backgrounds, diversity, saying health professions don't abide by the same standards as other professions, etc. Nothing we can do about it.

Based. Artfags are the most pretentious and insufferable people on the planet. Always jerking off and overthinking about some weird sounding abstract shit that doesn't even have a right answer or even exist in real life. The only thing art does is raise more questions and cause more problems.

it is subjective, you are right. so why objectively assume all of it is crap? you consider yourself a logical being yet you act the exact opposite

The thing is, Mathematics is best taught by going as slowly as possible. Because once you laid out the foundations for everyone, it's just a matter of practicing on your own time.

Mathematics is incredibly easy to understand, but nobody has really learned mathematics, because we do not have the time, even in a university environment, to properly teach it from the ground up.

What? Have you tried? Can you relate, or fries your back bend far enough?

I am just calculating what response should I form to illogical person, I am completely cold and logical inside. But since I talk to retards I pretend I use emotions in my text and you assume I have it which furthers proves that Math > Art
Go fuck yourself dumb hipster

ALL ARTISTS ARE DUDE WEED LMAO HIPSTERS.
USELESS JUNKIES FEEL GOOD NIGGERS

Attached: 1547121101052.png (960x942, 770K)

I can suck my own dick and I have tried.
The point is, even if you haven't you can relate to the plight of getting your face splashed with semen, if you fail to reach your goal.

math fags wear black ties, white collar shirts and think that will get them laid while we chad artists get all the pussy with our awesome music. We are the masters of the human psyche, you maths are just nerds who sit on the computer all day doing mathematical calculations which btw has been replaced by the computer so you are all obsolete.

creative artists know what it means to be human and arent afraid to express that

Does your back bend far enough. Shit.

I understand, but what if the artists choices were purely aesthetic? What if he just likes the pose?

We live in a time that is supersaturated in opportunities to just waste time. There's a ton of simple entertainment floating around. I'm not the type to complain about capitalism all the time, but this is a byproduct of the west's choice form of government: capitalism. Now, art and math are two concepts that live inside our heads. Art is pretty illusive. We like art, but we don't really know why. Math, on the other hand, is one of our most powerful tools. It allows us to conceptualize the world into bite sized pieces so we can understand it and manipulate it. You could argue one or the other is "better" but they're both just concepts that are there. You could develop a personal preference between the two from your own little individual likes and dislikes, but that's just in your own head. As for their their relation between applicability and your hand on the idea; it's probably just as likely that you will become a truly great artist as it is likely you will ever do anything important with mathematics in your life. You can autisticly purge any art or entertainment from your life and dedicate your life to math, but I'm fairly sure you won't find it worth living.

You are free to read it as such, I can't tell you that you're wrong. But where's the joy in such an interpretation?

what level of autism even is this

The thing is, they do teach the foundations as slowly as possible. They teach algebra, trig, pre-calc, geometry, all that good stuff over 4 years of high school. If you excel in all those things in high school then your foundations for college-level math is extremely solid. 4 years is extremely generous. The equivalent course in college is literally one or two semesters. If you were raised if Africa in a village then yeah, its understandable if college math is a rough ride. Otherwise you really have no excuse besides lack of effort on your own part.

I just thought I would bring another opinion. I tend to see things with a more aesthetic interpretation, but yours makes me think. If anything, the contrast between the two works in the exhibition was probably intentional.

This. Half the people in my calculus class didn't even have their algebra down. How do you not retain that information after 4 years of them hammering it into you?

>Math, on the other hand, is one of our most powerful tools.

Well written, however know that power comes at a price: math makes us think that the world is assembled in discrete entities (numbers), which might not be the case and is bad for your focus. Worst case: you spend your life counting grains of salt or rice beans.

It comes back to people not caring or just being dumb. Its easy to blame educators and the system we have in place but there's still many people excelling in math out there.

I don't think you understand what I am saying.
What I am saying is that what and how high school is teaching things is wrong.

I've seen people who can solve simple equations, but who can't explain what they are doing. And I don't believe it's their fault, but simply because Algebra is taught to early and too quickly.
And because they don't understand basic algebra, they fail at everything else until they learn how to solve specific problems, but not why those solutions work.

The school itself is wrong, that's all.
It is extremely difficult to not understand mathematics if you really take your time and really think things through.

Nah. Mathematical theory and how things work is more complex than the math itself, that's why its not taught first. Its easier to teach someone trigonometry but not why trigonometry works or what even is trigonometry. If you've ever sat in one of those classes you would immediately understand why they don't do that. It would overwhelm the average 14 year old.

>If you are an atheist you would believe there is no afterlife

What if you believed in God but rejected the afterlife as an illusion of the mind?

What's even worse are art critics. At least artists create something and do something active. Critics are simply passive consumers who talk about their opinions. Imagine getting paid to talk about something you didn't even make and that barely even took any effort on your part to experience. What a worthless """occupation""".

>Algebra is taught to early and too quickly.
Only if you're the biggest of brainlets. Algebra is as easy as it gets.

>Math too has the axioms behind it, which by definition, are unproveable

Nonsense meme. Grab two apples, take one away. There, nature just provided you one axiom.

I don't know whoever spams any scientific discussion with various versions of "can't know nothin", but a lie repeated million times will not become true.

Well, killing people got his manifesto published and made his ideas somewhat known. How many people have even heard of John Zerzan, for instance? I wish Adam Lanza had written a book too, it seems like he was quite intelligent actually.

>there are people on this board that thing algebra is hard
American education everyone.

Trigonometry is extremely simple to teach, because Geometric proofs go an incredibly long way.

You teach about Thales' theorem, to establish that right triangles are linked to circles and the the relation between the ratio of sides of the triangle and the angles of the triangle.
Now you bring in the unit circle to define the relations between angles and ratios of the sides.

That's it. You can show all of this geometrically, you can prove all of this using geometry.
There's no complicated mathematics or theory here. You just established the fundamentals of trigonometry.

They're both important my Math teacher back in engineering prep school always stressed the importance of the literary subjects, he was very well spoken and cultured.

can you point out to the part in my response that implied that you have emotions, or use them? i have never stated such thing. i merely pointed out that your argument is a logical phallacy

>>Why is it so hard for you to understand that everything related to entertainment is futile and destructive? It releases dopamine so you think it's "fun" but fun is dangerous drug, my friend.
>Yeah, even Michelangelo was pretty much just a Youtube meme of his time, wasting thousands of hours on assembled paint when he could've debugged the programming of the universe.
Pseud detected, there's tremendous amounts of mathematical methodology involved in the work of Michelangelo, go pretend to be smart elsewhere, no-one is impressed.

Attached: 1503598136923.jpg (450x562, 63K)

Algebra is taught quickly? They spend 2 years purely on algebra in high school and even that is too much in my opinion, how is that too quickly? Algebra is not that complicated.

Most math majors, and especially the ones that talk like you OP, are brainlet retards who can only understand everything in this weird overly literal way, they have no ability for critical thinking and just regurgitate what they've learned by rote while mistaking it for intelligence. They're arguably more subhuman than all those niggers who think they are musicians, it's sad really.

Attached: 1440670467987.jpg (760x1140, 68K)

As I remember, the formal theory of algebra is only taught at the very beginning of the class and many people miss it and never understand WHY something as simple as algebra works, at least that's what tutoring mathematics taught me.

>There's no complicated mathematics or theory here. You just established the fundamentals of trigonometry.

>Math department on suicide watch.

Attached: 9c0.jpg (426x341, 31K)

This man is right in every way

Attached: human-brain.jpg (486x357, 49K)