Surgery was regarded by Greek and Roman physicians as extreme and damaging while prevention was seen as the crucial...

>Surgery was regarded by Greek and Roman physicians as extreme and damaging while prevention was seen as the crucial first step to healing almost all ailments. In both prevention and treatment of disease in classical medicine, food and diet was central

Do you think we will return to this ancient mindset when discussing health and well being in the future?

Attached: adonis.jpg (1200x1200, 128K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_and_diet_in_ancient_medicine
youtu.be/Ro9tn-wN9-0
youtube.com/watch?v=hhBQ-sHYEtc
bbc.com/news/health-43504125
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_and_diet_in_ancient_medicine

The wiki article I quoted from for those that are interested

No shit, they didn't have antibiotics.

I study nutrition and i can say that there more and more initiatives that try to focus more on prevention in recent years, but ultimately I don't think it will matter much. Prevention requires a tremendous amount of personal willpower and responsibility that cannot possibly be provided by the government of private companies. I think the average person is not genetically set to take these responsibilities in our modern lives. Our biological instincts are so out of tune with our modern societies that this is just too much for average people.

So there’s literally no difference between that philosophy and the current philosophy.

Primary prevention is key
Secondary prevention to screen
Tertiary to correct.

Surgery was dangerous and painful. In the present and future surgery is/will be considered as a magical get better process that never fails. It's why you get fat fucks like boogie who would rather get gastric bypass than to just stop eating.

Yeah it probably sucked balls beyond comprehension to have a surgeon slice you up back in those days, but what do you think about the concept of focusing on preventing illness rather than treating it?

>government of private companies
OR*

Yep. It's why vaccines are a thing. It's a lot better to prevent people from getting measles in the first place than to have to treat measles and stop it from spreading.
It's simple logic that prevention is best. If you see dogshit in your path, it's best to walk around it. If you can't walk around it, you can still try to step over it. If you end up stepping in it anyway you can still clean it off your shoe, but that's a pain and you'd have been better off just avoiding the dogshit in the first place.

Or anesthesia. Imagine needing to see a surgeon and he has a couple burly slaves hold you down while he cuts on you. No germ theory either, so that's not a sterile scalpel.

-no antibiotics
-no anesthesia
-no bisturi and other specialized tools

are you surprised surgery was a last ditch effort, you retard?

honestly through working my way back up in philosophy its surprising how little has really changed fundamentally in philosophy, aquinas wrote about the composition of bodies in a manner that wasnt a million miles away from the idea of particles, and much of greek philosophy remains relatively untouched, only modified slightly and put into new perspectives. yes we no longer believe everything is fire, but we do still have virtue ethics.

Is it really that bleak? People smoke less these days compared to decades ago despite the fact that it required a lot of work and willpower to change such a habit on a massive scale. Why wouldn't we be able to work our way towards eating cleaner among other things?

youtu.be/Ro9tn-wN9-0

youtube.com/watch?v=hhBQ-sHYEtc

Nigga u stupid we talkin pre mf ANyThInG sURGErY

Isnt this a normal way of thinking? I avoid medicine and surgery as often as possible but I'm also not stubborn enough to avoid it if I absolutely need it or wait out something that is progressively getting worse

Tons of people are ignorant of how their lifestyle correlates to their health issues and many doctors seem to focus on direct treatment over working towards prevention

bbc.com/news/health-43504125

>many doctors seem to focus on direct treatment over working towards prevention
Car mechanics, doctors, dentists and the likes have a conflict of interest.
They're paid whenever there are problems, not when everything is fine.

Did you just low-key blame the obesity epidemic on genetics? You study nutrition and you're one of them?

>its surprising how little has really changed fundamentally in philosophy
why

how fucking retarded are you to not get that we still have that mindset? This is the most ignorant stupid post i read all day. Congratulations u fucking dumbass

dunno senpai, its only been 2500 years

>study of transcendental things that don't change with time isn't affected by the advance of time
Can't think why

Attached: philosophers.png (960x720, 572K)

This dude looks like my cousin

That's what Ayurveda and chinese medecine do.