What's the most unscientific thing you believe in?

What's the most unscientific thing you believe in?

Attached: 1547563782918.jpg (758x960, 70K)

that John Scofield is WAY better than Pat Metheny

>What's the most unscientific thing you believe in?
That one day OP will make a good thread.

Consciousness after death (whether it be reincarnation, heaven/hell etc).

Curved space-time.

psychology

How is that unscientific tho

Lol

Biology

Reincarnation makes sense. When you die, you experience nothing until the particles that make up your consciousness randomly form in a way that you get a consciousness again. Given infinite time and a non-zero chance, this is guaranteed to happen.

Heaven/hell on the other hand makes little sense. If there was an infinite afterlife, we'd already be in it because the normal life is 0% of the whole life+afterlife combo.

>yfw you realize this IS hell

Attached: b8867cff05e2214d.jpg (400x276, 21K)

Now this I can get behind

SHIT SON

>inb4 yeah but consciousness is speeeeeeritual

>implying that a continuous consciousness even exists at all

Attached: emptyindividualism.png (1562x436, 95K)

>Heaven/hell on the other hand makes little sense. If there was an infinite afterlife, we'd already be in it because the normal life is 0% of the whole life+afterlife combo.
Just like how we know the natural numbers must have an end, because a randomly selected natural number would be 0% of the way to infinity.

existentialism

>How is that unscientific tho
It's mathematical abstraction.

So is F=ma yet you wouldn't call that unscientific

Numbers have an end.

People with tattoos are more irresponsible than everyone else.
A friend of mine asked me to justify this recently, and I couldn't, yet I'm pretty confident it's true.

Attached: weekend-afternoon-randomness-35-photos-24-3.jpg (600x337, 33K)

That seems pretty logical. The very fact that they chose to get a tattoo is irresponsible so of course they're more irresponsible on average.

Yeah, but why is getting a tattoo irresponsible?
You can remove it.

>why is getting a tattoo irresponsible
Pretty sure that's axiomatic

>until the particles that make up your consciousness randomly form in a way that you get a consciousness again.
What is your consciousness? Is it the exact pattern of particles when you were born? Because that would just result in a clone of you, not "reincarnation."

Not the same.

Tattoos are cool. Get one.

That’d be a clone, not you.

A cosmic entity or group of entities that we would view as gods, capable of reaching out across the universe instantly, as they are in higher dimensions. God is real and indifferent to us, possibly not even self aware.

I think I've figured out the basics of life-death cycle.
When you die, you go to a world which is the polar opposite of ours. What is good here, is bad there, and vice versa. You could describe this place like heaven or hell, depending on your world view.
It doesn't really matter. All that matters is that it is the polar opposite of our world.
If you believe this world is good, then you can call the other world hell. If you believe this world is evil, then you can call the other world heaven.

I don't have many details about unlife but affter you are done with your unlife, you get reincarnated to this world.
Your next life is based both on the actions of your previous life and unlife, but there is also a third factor of randomness. Every life-death cycle you discover better ways to control this random factor and thus your understanding of the world increases, and randomness stops being random. But the caveat is that it will always be there, so perfect control is impossible.
It makes sense for some people to call this random unknown factor God.

>Tattoos are cool. Get one.
How is that any more scientific than saying they're a sign of irresponsibility?

Sounds pretty dank

That's pretty involved. Where did you get such an idea?

God

I am a Christian and I believe in God.
I also believe that faggots and transgender people are evil and I unironically don't want to even talk with them.

That's not even unscientific, that's just borderline psychotic

Just a mixture of generic concepts, with a touch of my own delusions.

Who said it was a scientific claim? If you want one, get one. If you don’t, don’t. No need to involve the scientific method.

aliens are here right now watching us

That’s mental illness.

This is such a mind numbing concept but i would argue that conscious doesn't really exist, it's simply an illusion of a persona formed by your brain. You are a new entity every time a neuron fires much like a clone, you simply have all the memories of all the entities that existed before you and their memories shape your personality. I am not the same person i was when i started typing this, i'm merely a clone of a clone of a clone etc... that believe i was.

So what gives it continuity

Lmao I just avoid talking with them if I know it or if they show its degeneracy to everyone. If I don't know a guy I just talk normally and mind my business.
Mental illness is cutting your dick off to wear girl's clothes.

>not wanting to talk to mentally ill people is a mental illness

Well the process is simple biochemistry, as long as "your" body keeps operating it creates a new clone for every instance. There is no real continuity other than memories though. The original you "died" a long time ago now it's just clone after clone. The process ends when the body itself dies and it will be just like the original you, lost forever. There is no "life" after death because life is only a illusion, you never really exist for more than a nanosecond.

Where does one instance end and the next begin?

This... makes a scary amount of sense

I have no way of proving it but i hypothesis that it's probably every time a neuron is fired. I've studied the way memories are stored and it basically works by arranging the inner structure of the brain in a certain orientation each time the brain process something so you are probably an instance of an orientation.

Your personality doesn't come entirely from your memories and environment.

Moon landing footage is fake. Jews were behind both World Wars, vietnam, afghanistan, iraq, lybia, 9/11 and Syria.

I suppose genetics plays a role too, but you do have the same exact genes as all previous clones so it would be logical that you have the same personality given you have everything nearly identical

Homosexuality and transgenderism aren’t mental illnesses.

Being homophobic and transphobic is degeneracy and a mental illness.

That place is called the Middle East.

Homosexuality although not any way useful from an evolutionary perspective is still personal preference.

Transgenderism however is 100% a mental illness, it's not a preference but a direct contradiction to what one is. You cannot chop off your dick and proclaim you now have a vagina and are female. All your chromosomes still have an XY that encode for a male body. So yes transgender is a mental illness.

>consciousness doesn't exist, it's just [description of consiousness]
pilot wave theory

>Transgenderism however is 100% a mental illness, it's not a preference but a direct contradiction to what one is.

Gender isn’t biological.

>You cannot chop off your dick and proclaim you now have a vagina and are female. All your chromosomes still have an XY that encode for a male body. So yes transgender is a mental illness.

Transgenders don’t claim that they have biologically changed their chromosomal sex. You’re extremely confused and attacking a strawman.

It's called a "sex" change not a gender change, i'm not talking about the ones who cross dress i'm talking about the one who undergo actual procedures to try and become the other sex. Anyone who even considers such a thing is mentally ill.

>It's called a "sex" change not a gender change, i'm not talking about the ones who cross dress i'm talking about the one who undergo actual procedures to try and become the other sex.

One can change their anatomy to better fit one’s desires if they wish. Doesn’t bother me any.

>Anyone who even considers such a thing is mentally ill.

No, modification of the body isn’t a mental illness. Almost everyone does it to some extent.

"clone", "entity", "person", "you" - these are all basically just the "soul" in your description. I think you can easily get rid of all of these in your explanation, and then you are simply a materialist.
>There is no real continuity other than memories though
I don't think this is an unscientific thing to believe.

>One can change their anatomy to better fit one’s desires if they wish
I can have a fin attached to my back and call myself a shark, doesn't mean i am one and other people wont think i am one. If anything it would signify that something was wrong with my mentally. Same with people who undergo sex procedures, they can call themselves whatever but it doesn't mean they are that, it just indicates that they're mentally unwell.

Mutilation of ones sex organs is not an indication of mental health.

consciousness is discrete

Attached: B7A3C8AE-520E-42A9-8A31-6C6F788302D7.jpg (258x196, 6K)

100% agree, this person has convinced themselves they have a novel concept of the mind when really this is a verbose way of explaining that they don't believe in the soul. There's no such thing as being so edgy that you think the self exists for no more than a nanosecond

Well, it happens a lot if you just like to think about this stuff but haven't read your philosophy basics. I've had the same thing a few times with things like panpsychism, mathematical universe/platonism etc.
I'd suggest reading some articles on plato.stanford.edu about consciousness and related subjects.

Well obvious there is no soul, there's no scientific evidence of it at all. To believe in it you need to believe that matter is manipulated by some sort of super natural force. My explanation attempts to explain a plausible phenomenon of illusionary consciousness

>I can have a fin attached to my back and call myself a shark, doesn't mean i am one and other people wont think i am one.

Sharks occupy a different clade within Pisces than
us. We’re osteichthyes and they’re chondrichthyes.
To change to be a shark would require extreme genetic engineering or body modification, or be impossible if one considers only ancestry.

>If anything it would signify that something was wrong with my mentally.

Yes, you would appear to have some form of delusion if you believe you are a shark.

>Same with people who undergo sex procedures

SRS is not intended to change one’s chromosomes, it is intended to change one’s anatomy to more closely resemble phenotypically that of the opposite sex. No one is claiming it changes chromosomes.

>they can call themselves whatever but it doesn't mean they are that,

No one is claiming SRS changes chromosomes, nor do people that receive it claim it changes chromosomes.

>it just indicates that they're mentally unwell.

Yes, you would be mentally unwell if you believed SRS changed chromosomes. It doesn’t.

>Mutilation of ones sex organs is not an indication of mental health.

SRS improves mental health, actually.

So you are indeed the same person you were moments ago. Or when you were born, for that matter. Consciousness may be an illusion but an accurate one. If it's all about you knowing you exist then how that idea gets constructed doesn't matter.

The self literally exists only for a Planck second.

No, i said consciousness is simply an illusion. You are a frame within a movie, while watching a movie it looks like it's in motion but it's really a bunch of frame that give an illusion of motion.

God, I guess. I'd go with "nonscientific" rather than "unscientific," if I was quibbling.

Oh, and quibbling I believe in that. Is quibbling unscientific?

Man of culture as well...

>If there was an infinite afterlife, we'd already be in it because the normal life is 0% of the whole life+afterlife combo.

I love it when logic is used to make totally illogical statements.

Well no, you're a clone. If your body was instantly cloned right now into a separate entity with all the memories intact then it would believe it was the actual body because that's what it remembers. You would then have 2 bodies with the same memories so which one would really be you?

Neither because you don't exist anymore.

Nope, all you said is that consciousness is something different than what you (probably) previously thought it was. No reason at all to stop calling it "consciousness"

I agree with basically everything Alex Jones says

Maybe, just maybe, I might find a significant other in my lifetime.

Attached: 1526788906444.jpg (1280x720, 105K)

>We’re osteichthyes and they’re chondrichthyes.

Stop being pedantic and trying to defend the mentally ill. Biological sex is defined on the genetic level more than outward phenotypical appearances. You can mutilate your genitals how you want but it does not make you one of the other sex.

It's funny because all you wrote is objectively and demonstrably false

ok let me rephrase, i don't believe in a continuum of consciousness, i only believe in instantaneous consciousness.

Humanity.

Oh wait.

Wrong

Life does matter in some way

>Stop being pedantic and trying to defend the mentally ill.

What mental illness? Gender dysphoria was dropped from the WHO and American Psychiatric Association’s list of mental illnesses last year, so we’re not talking about any mental illnesses.

>Biological sex is defined on the genetic level more than outward phenotypical appearances.

What is the sex of someone with Swyer Syndrome or XX Male Syndrome?

>You can mutilate your genitals how you want but it does not make you one of the other sex.

No one is saying that body modification changes your chromosomes, you’re just claiming they are because you’re transphobic and want to attack something you think you can actually refute or make seem absurd.

Consciousness, life, and death, are experiences. You experience birth and consciously view death as the end of consciousness, but in reality we're ever-changing entity, so the idea of the self is an abstraction

Humans are conscious months before birth. Don’t be delusional.

Literally conflicts with nothing I said

>it is intended to change one’s anatomy to more closely resemble phenotypically that of the opposite sex.
So no different than attaching a fin to your back and calling yourself a shark since it's purely prototypical. I'm glad we both agree there's not real women since all they changed was cosmetic.

From your wording, you implied that conscious began at that moment.

they're not damn phone

Thats oddly specific, theres no reason to assume that since its irrelevant to the point of my post.

>So no different than attaching a fin to your back and calling yourself a shark since it's purely prototypical.

Still wrong. SRS does not change your chromosomes, no one says it does, and the anatomical differences between homosapiens sapiens and a shark and those between a male Homo sapiens sapiens and and a female Homo sapiens sapiens are orders of magnitudes apart.

>I'm glad we both agree there's not real women since all they changed was cosmetic.

No, they are real women, since their gender is female. Gender dysphoria is about gender, not sex, you cute little weasel.

I'm not talking about chromosomes here, we're talking purely cosmetic here. By your logic i can change my appearance to resemble anything and i will become it since genetics clearly aren't relevant in this discussion. I can be a dog, a tree, or even a firetruck as long as i undergo a procedure to make me look like it.

>I'm not talking about chromosomes here, we're talking purely cosmetic here

No, we’re talking about gender. I never said that SRS changed you “cosmetically” to the opposite sex, i said it “it is intended to change one’s anatomy to more closely resemble phenotypically that of the opposite sex. ”.

>By your logic i can change my appearance to resemble anything and i will become it since genetics clearly aren't relevant in this discussion.

No, you couldn’t. That’s not “my logic”.

>I can be a dog, a tree, or even a firetruck as long as i undergo a procedure to make me look like it.

Nope.

Well who made the gate keeper of the arbitrary line on how far i can transition?

I can change my anatomy to more closely resemble phenotypically that of a shark/dog/tree/firetruck and then again according to your logic be perceived as those thing,

>I can change my anatomy to more closely resemble phenotypically that of a shark/dog/tree/firetruck and then again according to your logic be perceived as those thing,

If you had access to some extremely advanced bioengineering technology and AI brains, you could turn yourself into a shark, dog, or sentient fire truck or sentient tree.

And?

>Avoiding people is mental illness but killing yourself with estrogen isn't

Estrogen doesn’t kill you, though.

Then you concede that we can all play pretend and be whatever we want while denying reality, as long as we undergo the proper procedure of course.

Theoretically that may have happened, but my consciousness does exist, even if what I perceive is an illusion. Still, that probably doesn't happen and what I perceive is most likely still true to reality.

>Then you concede that we can all play pretend and be whatever we want while denying reality, as long as we undergo the proper procedure of course.

I don’t see how it’s “denying reality” to say you’re a fire truck if your body is literally a several ton truck with a waterhose, six wheels, a loud horn, air conditioning, and red paint.

IQ.

>better than Pat Metheny
you best be joking nigger

Attached: if the french had balls.jpg (480x360, 20K)

I unironically think the Dogon people know more about the nature of the universe than modern science