/fitlit/

Reminder to workout your brain with your body. Have you been reading anything lately?

I picked up Dune and Shadow of the torturer but im not sure which to start with

Attached: DgvIUlLUYAAp8cd.jpg (1200x820, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/cu31924028575516/page/n8
chat.whatsapp.com/GM6N5nuBafwBGnRJmmKdTF
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Currently reading water for elephants for the 2nd time. Just finished Ashlee Vance’s “Elon musk” biography. It was pretty good, and really motivated me to overall just toughen up.
Books are gr8

Nice trips.

I'm thinking Jow Forums should have a book club reading Storm of Steel, Anyone in?

book clubs don't work on /lit/ let alone Jow Forums

convince me reading a book in today world is still releavant... you can get knowledge by other "media" even watching a documentery

no, you're not special I don't give a shit if you read or not

>releavant
Please pick up a book

>relavant
>documentery
Either this is bait or you really should pick up a book you absolute retard.

what you should be reading is 12 rules for life, now that is a quality book to help your mind be more healthy, jordan peterson is a god

Someone recommend me a captivating historical fiction that is enjoyable to read.

Attached: 1519003540145.jpg (657x527, 52K)

If you want some patrician tier shit, read Latro in the Mist by Gene Wolfe or Marius the Epicurean by Walter Pater

old man and the sea

Been reading Return of the King, only 80 pages or so to go

Attached: 3464523456.jpg (600x500, 102K)

My gf is really into sci fi and dune is her favourite book to date

Intro to Magic, Evola

Boring af

Fuck off
>Shadow of the torturer
This is like the trippiest series to read. After the first book, everything just seems like a fever dream.

Based

I got no idea about dune, has been on my ebook reader for the longest time but I always give up after the first 20 pages.

Just read “The Judgement” by Franz Kafka. Pretty good read, he writes well.

Just finished 12 Rules for Life, highly recommended book. Sort your shit out!

>historical fiction
Dustan, Warrior of Rome series (currently reading this, it's /fitlit/ af), The Last Kingdom, unironically A song of Ice and Fire, and obviously LOTR books (and Hobbit!).

Currently reading Warrior of Rome series (on 5th book) and Meditations, I read Meditations rarely though to really take in what I read.

Based, stoic, and comfy-pilled.

Attached: fitlit gains.gif (280x158, 869K)

>the republic
>stoicism
retard

Currently reading Jow Forums right now. Poor lads are suffering from body dismorphic disorder.

If you would like a fascinating appraisal of the joo q from the 1880's, this is pure dynamite.

archive.org/details/cu31924028575516/page/n8

Attached: Mystery_Babylon.jpg (516x800, 258K)

Plz stop this meme

I've been reading more lately, replacing internet time with reading. I am 200 pages deep into The Brothers Karamazov, it's pretty heavy especially for a novice reader like myself, so I take my time.

I also ordered Plato Republic and Jung's Modern Man in Search of a Soul. Time to expand my mind with reading finally

Attached: download.jpg (176x286, 9K)

you aren't supposed to actually read and comprehend the philosophy, just post about buying a copy here and support the penguin jews

chat.whatsapp.com/GM6N5nuBafwBGnRJmmKdTF join the bookclub

Checked. Currently reading Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell and Moby Dick by Herman Melville. I usually read two books at the same time, nonfiction at home, fiction at work.

Attached: 41DmJtOy2tL.jpg (316x500, 18K)

How's Moby Dick? I never read it yet in my life but it has been coming up in posts a lot

Anna and the King of Siam

Shape of the torturer, the whole new Earth series is both a pleasure and a burden to read through. I fucking love the use of simple /antiquated language to describe the high tech things the protagonist sees but doesn't understand

does anyone have any good /fitlit/ charts he could share?

Attached: 1554566459131.jpg (960x692, 65K)

Shape of the torturer, the whole new Earth series is both a pleasure and a burden to read through. I fucking love the use of simple /antiquated language to describe the high tech things the protagonist sees but doesn't understand

It's not what I expected. I thought it was going to be just a literary tale about chasing a white whale, but it's more comprehensive than that. Melville was a whaler himself and explains in great detail many specifics of the industry during the mid and late 19th century. I would almost say it has a lot of filler, like some chapters are like "and now here is a list of books about whales" and "here is a list of paintings featuring whales" and I'm like, why the fuck is this in here? That being said though, it is a unique book enough to give it a chance, and Melville has an splendidly diverse vocabulary, which is something that draws me to 19th century literature in and of itself. I find myself looking up the definitions of new words frequently.

Shadow*******

I have been reading Ecclesiastical history,all three phases so,pretty much from 0-2014.
It's pretty rough but interesting.

Attached: 11110369_10205333800677554_608910860143551927_o.jpg (668x960, 114K)

Just finished my first Michael Chabon book yesterday, I'd highly recommend the 'Yiddish Policeman's Union', it would make an amazing TV mini series.

Now started 'The Secret Agent' by Conrad.

Is everybody just going to post philosophy books pretending they read them for fun?

Attached: c1ge-square-orig.jpg (1536x1536, 245K)

Anything about the holocaust

i have, in my journey of self improvement cut a whole lot of time i used to spend in front of screens to reading books instead when i want to relax, the result has been that i am much more relaxed as a whole, sleep better and dont feel like a ADHD hyper child anymore, altough the weightlifting has probably done more to do with that. I have been enjoying reading the horus heresy 40k series, but i intend to start reading all of these books as well to "make me think"

Attached: 1555278037509.jpg (1820x4348, 1.23M)

Books are not just about knowledge user.

I too started reading based off this picture/list. I started with The Brothers Karamazov, but man... I realize I've been neglecting reading most of my life and I am too stupid for this book as it's quite difficult to read and most of it on the list I think. Don't skip reading day kids..

Oh look who it is

Storm of Iron is a good fantasy read

Been reading this at work when I have nothing to do. It's not the best renaissance lit I've ever read but it's fun cheese. I like to imagine 16th century nerds getting mad about how it makes Roland have oneitis for a Saracen woman.

Attached: IMG_5460.jpg (3264x2448, 2.06M)

Sorry for the picture, I suck dicks.

The Religion, by Tim Willocks

>fiction
might as well be playing a fucking video game you incel troglodytes

True.

Historical fiction usually is based on events that actually happened user

TBK is harder than most books here. The language, themes, and sheer length/scale of it is pretty hard for the average reader. You have characters talking for literal pages in a row, that's not very conventional. Most novels on that list are an easier read. If you want the very entry level, then:
The Stranger, The Trial, The Picture of Dorian Grey, The Catcher in the Rye, 1984, The Great Gatsby, Slaughterhouse Five, Stoner, White Noise, The Plague, The Master and Margarita, The Hobbit, The Metamorphosis... just to name some from the top 50.

Read Dune.

Started Children of Dune (3rd in the original seried by Frank).

Love thr fantasy / Sci Go series. Up there with Song of Ice and Fire and Gunslinger series.

Presidents, generals, philosophers and leaders read novels for pleasure. Autists and clerks read biographies and histories in their spare time.

>up there with the Gunslinger

May as well read Star Trek novels.

Easy tier:
"The Secret History", Donna Tartt
ASOIAF, GRRM
"Without Remorse", Tom Clancy

Big brain tier:
"Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell", Susanna Clarke
"The Name of the Rose", Umberto Eco
"2666", Bolano

2 Big Brain4u tier:
Anything by Ralph Waldo Emerson or Jose Saramago

Attached: 1544660069478.jpg (217x208, 9K)

cheers

Attached: 1536164455793.png (247x249, 81K)

If you read these authors and books you'll see every user in this website as nothing more than monkeys

Orpheus, Plato, Plotinus, Proclus, Simplicius, Pitagoras

For the books:

Philosophy and Theurgy in Late Antiquity

Philosophy as a Rite of Rebirth: From Ancient Egypt to Neoplatonism

Select Works of Plotinus by Thomas Taylor

The Unknown God: Negative Theology in the Platonic Tradition : Plato to Eriugena

The Door in the Sky: Ananda K. Coomaraswamy

Time and Eternity Hardcover by Ananka K. Coomaraswamy

Coomaraswamy, Volume 2: Selected Papers: Metaphysics

Sethian Gnosticism and the Platonic Tradition

What is Civilisation? and Other Essays by Ananda K. Coomaraswamy

You're welcome

>Those digits
>Op's pic
Is Satan a Jow Forumsizen too?

Attached: 1555022430130.jpg (722x746, 238K)

>he doesn't take notes when he reads

Attached: 1553758596403.png (609x829, 68K)

Under the Eagle.

I need to finish Earthsea.

ah great stuff. try morgante as well.

This is something only stupid people do, real intellectuals just read the right way

Infinite jest and ulysses are memes on /lit/ as far as I know.
Does anyone know of an app where you can scan written notes and later search through it?

Nice trips Satan

It depends on what you read. I take notes when I read a scientific publication but novels and philosophical works I just read "the right way".

Finished Treasure Island, then Blood Meridian for the second time, now I'm reading all of Kaczynski's works and Ulysses too

based Thomas Sowell poster. Black Redneck & White Liberal is also good.

They are both a copious read and both twist language and sentences in ways that can make for a difficult read.
IJ is really enjoyable for the way it's narrated and the absurdly long footnotes more than for the narration itself (and the plot takes a really, really long time to unfold) but that's for all Wallace's fiction works. Give it a try though, the part about Eschaton game is great.
Alternatively, you could read his non-fiction, especially "A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again" and "getting away from being away from it all".

>the right way
Not sure what you mean by that. Imo, it's all right to skip parts or never finish a book.

Attached: Beginner-fantasy.jpg (991x2975, 1.66M)

You could add the Argolide to the old school tier

Remember anons, don't be afraid to shelf a book if you're not feeling it. You're better off reading books you enjoy, books that make you WANT to pick them back up, rather than force yourself to finish ones you don't enjoy. Don't buy into the "required reading" shit either; no, you don't need to read the Iliad and the Odyssey to read Plato, not unless you really want to - hell, reading Plato might get you excited about reading them! Forcing yourself through books to reach "the good stuff" is rarely worth it, and risks killing your desire to read at all as it becomes a roadblock for your progress.

Side point; the "difficult" books you've heard people talk about are probably far easier to read than you'd think. Being able to read and enjoy classics is a privilege of adulthood, not a curse. Never be afraid of looking "pretentious".

Attached: 1535799134826.png (800x600, 513K)

Tolkien is actually entry- and exit-level Fantasy at the same time.

Attached: ededdeddydigits.jpg (479x900, 85K)

This

You realize the information in most documentaries can be read in about 3 minutes, right?

Perhaps not books per se, but reading academic articles, peer-reviewed research, white papers, hell even well-cited blog entries are going to provide you with more knowledge than other mediums

On the road of /sig/. Starting to tackle the existential dread. Anyone got any recommendations? Need to mainly figure out how to stimulate myself without drugs and technology.

Faggot

Idk I read infinite jest and rather liked it.

But fiction is just entertainment in my opinion. Do I think people should read Infinite Jest instead of practical books about rational decision making? No

Fiction can convey philosophical ideas just fine, user. Remember that the telling of stories is how humans have transfered knowledge and morality from one generation to the next for a very long time.

I just finished Ernst Jünger’s Storm of Steel it really speaks to me in regards of men being men, shooting at each other, hating the war but just doing what needed to be done, war without hate

After that I began reading Philip K. Dick’s Do Androids dream of electric sheep? Mostly for the feels and feels were felt

Never read them but people recommend books on stoicism a lot.

I only read the Art of War repetitively.

>ctrl+f plato
good, fitlit is learning.
>ctrl+f proverbs
nothing. nope. not gonna make it.

Dune is fucking awesome. Read that shit boi

Desert of the Tartars

Another good one I read by Tolkien was "Children of Hurin".

Thanks.

Be mindful that it is pretty much about existential dread though. But it makes you think.

Reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell right now. It's about how we sometimes make better decisions in a fraction of a second than if we would spend tons of hours on trying to come to a conclusion. Intersting stuff, a guy in the book filmed married for 15mins and could predict with over 90% accuracy if they are still married 15years later.
The gist of it is that our brain has all the info we need about a person after 5mins of meeting them, but we havent learned how to properly process and assess the information.

Havent read fiction in years, otherland was godtier back in the day.

Attached: IMG_20190418_205132.jpg (2448x3264, 787K)

Partially true, we are in the midst of a second Gutenberg revolution. Nothing will replace the written text though. But being able to take in information while doing other things is extremely beneficial to say the least

I read the synopsis, it seems like something I should read at the moment.

Not gonna read it probably, are you gonna be talking about other based /fitlit/ books?

Does seem interesting

>Implying reading fiction will make you aware of cognitive biases that impair rational judgement

Very sad, very low energy

>George R R Martin
>god tier
lmao

I don't think fiction can replace non-fiction, I'm just saying that it can convey philosophical ideas just fine. Not all of them, but plenty.

The most intelligent people out there are and were writing books where they don’t have to dumb anything down for an audience. You don’t see documentaries explaining Kant’s ideas.

War and Peace
>tfw Bolkonsky’s arch

Attached: AF1ED047-CAA9-40F3-98E6-956127CD57AA.jpg (236x285, 6K)

>he hasn’t read any austrian novelists
shiggy

I just finished Cat's Cradle. I liked it quite a bit. Are there any other sci-fi writers similar to Vonnegut?