Boxing or Muay Thai? Which should I do?

Boxing or Muay Thai? Which should I do?

Attached: 2019-04-11-194709_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 837K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fitness? boxing.
street fight situation? muay thai.
you will get fit as fuck on both and both will be good for self defence, try both out and see

Krav maga

Attached: FB22C76E-8686-4C7E-878F-47687D345075.jpg (400x400, 43K)

Alright, how would you suggest I train? I already lift 5 days a week and doing either boxing or muay thai the same day seems overkill.

Muay Thai

You'll be in better shape and be a more practical fighter

Muay thai will make you well-rounded, boxing will make you more specialized. If you can do muay thai with some boxing instruction on the same, do that. Boxing has great head movement that Carrie's over nicely to muay thai. Muay thai has more to offer generally though.
Why would boxing be better for fitness?
You're going to need to retool your lifting routine. I train mma 3 days a week, BJJ 2 days a week, and lift 4 days. That's after lots of building up to it, figuring out nutrition, and learning proper recovery and where my limits are. How often you train in your martial art will depend q lot on you - I am naturally good at grappling, so two or three days a week is good enough for me to progress right now; striking, however, is my weakness and I need 4 days a week or more of it if I'm going to improve. Find out how many classes you need/want per week, and then find a routine to work around that.
I suggest 5/3/1 because it has a good, flexible structure that pushes slow qnd steady increments of improvement, which is what you'll need when you start training martial arts and cant go all in at the gym anymore.
Lift on days you dont train martial arts if you can. Personally, with how often I train and the way my schedule works, I need to lift on the same days I train. If that's the case with you too, then just make sure to leave a time gap if you can. If not, then know you'll have to take the martial arts a little easy and focus in from over power, which is a good approach anyway. Also, always lifts before you do martial arts. You can train tired, but you cant make gains in the weight room after a good striking session.

Two identical twins, one trains Muay thai for a six months or a year, the other boxing for the same time and intensity. Who wins at the end in a no-rules fight?

Anyone who has trained or seriously watched mma can tell you the muay thai guy will win.
For example, I've done drills with people better than me where I can throw kicks and they can only punch. Despite the difference in skill, I'm able to control the fight the entire time. This is also against people who know how to defend kicks and are using the proper stance to absorb them. Against a pure boxer, their bladed stance will get their legs annihilated and they wont even know how to defend the kicks properly.
For some reason theres this idea on Jow Forums that boxing is the God sport. It's good and it produces the greatest punchers, but its extremely specialized.
There is a reason you dont see people in any mma organization world wide adopting a boxing stance and relying only on punches while ignoring kicks.

Muay thai it is, thanks user. I'm thinking of lifting 4 days, rest, then muay thai 2 days.

Outside of a controlled, unarmed 1vs1 situation do you think Muay thai is still the best one for self-defense? Just seems like maybe, if you had to handle some shit real quick and then get out having punching, footwork and headmovement down pat would be best.
On the other hand Muay thai has clinching, knees, elbows and sweeps which are probably massively useful in a whole host of real-world situations.

That's my thought process as well. Boxing will certainly do the job most of the time if you need to hold some distance and get out, but it doesnt have as much in its toolbox as muay thai.
If you're trying to keep distance and get out, a good teep will get you out faster and safer than a good jab.
Another important thing to keep in mind is that people who practice muay thai will have extremely high level punching abilities, footwork, and head movement, it's just that the punches and head movement wont be quite as honed as youd normally see in a boxer of comparable skill. The boxer, however, will have no notion of kicking, knees, or elbows, and so will have no idea of how to defend these things. If you arent used to taking kicks and someone throws a head kick, for example, the odds that you'll get out of the way or block it correctly are very low, and just one of those will knock you out.
Against some random thug on the street or even a group, youd almost certainly be fine with knowledge only of boxing. If you want more options and want to defend against people of higher skill, I think muay thai is the way to go.

Real fights are 95% attacks, not fights. Any training is better than none and every situation will be different. You can't plan that way. As you progress in any martial art you will find your own style and what works for you. The biggest advantage training offers in a parking lot attack situation is not freaking out, freezing up, and keeping composure.

Boxing is almost guaranteed to have good coaching and a competitive environment.

Muay Thai while theoretically more useful has a McDojo problem and lack of a competitive scene outside Thailand.

While there are muay thai McDojos, I dont see why anyone would call this a real problem. I think it depends heavily on where you live and what gyms are available to you.
As for the competitive scene, you're simply wrong. There are many travelling kickboxing and muay thai tournaments around the country for all ages and experience levels.

Boxing, if you want head trauma.
Muay Thai, if you want your knees to be like steel.

Not doing
>martial arts 5/w
>lifting 5/w
>swimming 3/w
Never gonna make it you fags.

Depends entirely on the demographics of the gym.

You want a serious answer? You should throw your money at a gun first.

Why isn't bare knuckle boxing popular? I don't want brain damage. I don't want to do shit that would break my hands in a real fight.

Muay Thai

Boxing is a nigger meme

Attached: 7C47247C-388E-4680-83B4-14A09F05DF0A.jpg (401x367, 62K)

Street fights aren't MMA rules octagons. Boxers will fuck you up when they knock you out in a few punches. Kicks are intimidating but not practical when you're wearing jeans and on the streets.

If you don't want brain damage, why are you asking about bare knuckle boxing? It's far worse than boxing with gloves as far as head trauma goes

Boxing + Muay Thai is GOAT striking

Attached: SamartChad.jpg (480x360, 32K)

Joe Rogan says without gloves there would be less brain damage since people won't be able to punch as hard.

t. never been seriously leg kicked

a proper leg kick is the equivalent of being hit with a bat on the leg. There are instances in fights where guys fall over because the pain is so bad after 1 kick

Don't train a martial art for self defense, just buy pepper spray or some kind of weapon (and train sprints). You can spend a few dollars on that, or a lot of dollars, time and effort on the off-chance that you run into a specific self defense scenario where your muay thai will work.

Looks like that guy never got seriously hit in the head. Or maybe he has.

if youre in america: box
if youre in thailand: muay thai

it's not at all.

boxing gloves protect your hands allowing you to punch harder.

It's not even a debate, it's basic logic.

wow this is retarded.
>hurr durr you have to be in Greece to do Greco-Roman wrestling
>hurr durr you have to be in Brazil to learn BJJ

Yeah punching solid bone with your bare fist is surely gonna hurt them more than you. There's a reason bare Knuckle fights go on for ages and historically has very low traumatic injuries

Confirmed for never having done muay thai.

Muay thai is better for overall fitness as throwing kicks and clinching are major parts of the sport, and much more energy demanding than throwing punches. There's a reason Muay thai fights are either 3 or 5 rounds maximum.

In answer to OPs question muay thai is more rounded, but boxing is equally dangerous if the boxer knows simple things like how to check kicks and some basic clinching. Video to illustrate the problem with pure boxing - youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0

I'd check the gyms in your area and see which ones have the better credentials.

I wouldn't bother training less than 2x per week btw. To actually get good you want to go 3x MINIMUM, the more the better really. You can lift and box / thai box on same days, just make sure there's a big gap between sessions. I did lifting before thai boxing and I was fucked for the sessions, especially leg days.

Nigger why do you think muay thai athletes go to Thailand to train? Muay Thai gyms in America are 99% mcdojos, quite simply there are far, far more legit boxing gyms in America then Muay Thai gyms.

to get first hand exposure to a community of fighters who have been fighting since they were 7 years old.

With that said, there are plenty of schools run by those fighters over here in the US and simply you have no idea what you're on about.

Name me 10 authentic and good Muay Thai gyms in America tghat have produced world champions

Any that host muay thai coaches who have coached champion UFC fighters.

That's easily over 10.
>b-but it has to be muay thai only!!
no

i want to do a martial art next year but can only do one

which one? BJJ or sparring like boxing/muaythai?

why only one?

i already lift, play hockey and run, so it would be too much

>Any that host muay thai coaches who have coached champion UFC fighters.
>That's easily over 10.
>>b-but it has to be muay thai only!!
>no

Just tell me where you're going to move the goalposts next so I can keep dunking on you.

BJJ is practical in the sense that you don't want to kill everyone you get into a fight with and it teaches you useful submissions that can stop a person safely.

However, in the scenario where you can't and HAVE to KO someone, striking is ideal.

Honestly, you need both. MMA schools have dedicated coaches and classes for each style of fighting. Mine in particular has BJJ and then the muay thai class starts right after so most of the students transition after one is done. Definitely see if you can find a good school in the area that offers that.

>t. has never heard of lululemon pants