80lbs gear

>80lbs gear
>march 20miles per day at pace
>must dig trench, build log walls, and set up camp before sunset every night
>burn said camp in morning so enemies can't use it against you
>rinse and repeat for 20 years sprinkled with hand to hand combat with people who actually want to kill you once in a while

Would you cardiolets survive in the roman army?

Attached: 1501030505374.webm (720x405, 1.35M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4-l_EbXE3LU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I read that some men would pretend to be slaves to avoid military service. It was probably pretty brutal but they were raised to be tougher back then.

Attached: 1499728410410.png (718x862, 530K)

That shit was only in the movies, no one actually does that.

Attached: 7868634.png (213x240, 128K)

What’s the Hellenic Thot saying?

anyone that trains for endurance properly might have a chance. I’ve done a few trails at around 20 miles a day. Lose a lot of weight in a short span of time, but after a while you get used to it.
Granted, I doubt I’d survive dragging logs out the woods to make a camp and then fight to defend it in the same evening

When the other option is death or torture, you'll probably figure it out

>tfw will never be a roman legionary
>born to wageslave til death

True, there is that

Hellenism
lakedaimon
hoplite
t.greekfag

Imagine the amount of food they'd have to consume
I imagine the majority of them looked emaciated.

I suppose that's why they captured and encouraged maintenance of villages & farmland, instead of blowing them up like we do now.

Romans plough young boys
das gay

3000 calories was a daily ration for roman soldiers past marian reforms, mostly bread dried fruit sometimes meat or whatever they foraged

>bread
romans looked like pot bellied boomer goblins

They were bread eaters, the mingols were vastly superior with their carnivore diet

AttiCHAD the HUNK and his nomads vs Virgin Roman civilization

I've read up on some basic Wikipedia articles about it. The dan Carlin "hardcore history" series about the gauls/romans got me interested in it. Most of them ate their bread, wheat eateted-down-wine ration. Only officers had reliable meat available

Watered-down-wine*

Grains have always been peasant food and still npcs insist on eating this shit

Greeks didn't even eat bread, they threw to the dogs

they didn't burn down their camp retard they just took it apart and carried it with them

>That Gladius draw
>tfw you will never be part of the greatest fighting force of the ancient world
>tfw no Gaul slave women to slam every night

Attached: 1514586528119.jpg (228x288, 15K)

>Burn camp

Nope they dismantled it and every soldier carried a piece of it (wooden pole, etc)

>Wageslave till death

Or until you retire to a comfy farm with your newfound roman citizenship and civil rights, oh and the right to marry

It was a risky gamble with a big payoff

Every soldier was capable of hunting and foraging, they integrated protein into their diet

Dont tell them l, these guys believe that the romans chopped down trees every evening

About roman army food

youtube.com/watch?v=4-l_EbXE3LU

> Dat lorica segmentata.
> SEMPER RVMA GLORIA

you'd need fire wood, and im sure some parts always would need to be replaced as they wear down from use.

The Greek alphabet is so god damn aesthetic. I should set aside some time to learn it.

yurop should have been hellenized, not romanized

Imagine being a gaul with a spear, a knife and a pair of worn trousers running towards 5000 of these dudes throwing pila and lead balls at your ass

>come at me cunt im fucking obelix breeeeeeeh

Yea buddy whe should divide into city states with diferent laws and coin and form coalitions and war over the most stupid shit.

>muh warrior duty le hoplite elite spartan
You would be a fucking helot and get your house raided and wife fucked by 18 year old zoomers on the regular

>wearing trousers to combat
never gonna make it

Attached: nimetön.jpg (840x569, 147K)

how's that different from how sweden already is?

Imagine being a twinkcel tinsoldier in roman slave army in the forests of Teutoborg and seeing all these bare chested germanic barbarian BVLLS descend upon your legions

Attached: 1524315698341.jpg (831x831, 148K)

Serves Varus right, he trusted a German

This is what peak Roman performance looks like.

Attached: 1555571359365.png (640x1136, 1.11M)

vade retro, Trimalcio

Imagine being some cute little twink soldier marching with your pathetic legion only to see this Germanic Chad coming out of the forest with a full bearskin hide on his back screaming and charging at you.

Attached: Power of the White Man.gif (400x373, 2.54M)

>burn said camp in morning so enemies can't use it against you

camps would generally be stripped down but left standing for the supply train to safely follow the path of the army

He had to re-adjust his grip though. Pleb-tier draw

Depends on which era, it was probably great to serve in the legions right after the sacking of carthage, but very very bad post diocletian.

Tfw learning old greek since a year and can read that shit on the picture, but it says nothing interesting.

It just says "greek lacedaiomonic (Spartan) hoplit (the name of the type of soldier, but also literaly translated to heavy armed unit)"

I think it's just a quick bio-mechanical key (palming the hilt) to cue him in on where his hand is, relative to the weapon, so that he can draw without looking.
I give him a B for it. A on the pilum technique.

>Greeks didn't even eat bread, they threw to the dogs

>Farm wheat (labor intensive)
>Thresh and mill the wheat (labor intensive)
>Bake into bread (which you don't eat)
>So that you can feed bread to your dogs (which will result in very weak dogs, if not kill them)

>diferent laws and coin and form coalitions and war over the most stupid shit
Sorry, was this a joke? Because I'm pretty sure you did that for most of pre-industrial recent history.

CAM ON ROMANES, SPEAR SUM FAKIN' GAULS!

To be fair though everything went to shit post Diocletian.

"Don't worry everyone. I know what shit costs"

user...we are the wageslaves till death

you would quickly build endurance to match the pace required of you.

Attached: socrates.jpg (794x571, 58K)

keep in mind they were all manlets
for a normal height (6ft) modern man that would be closer to 4kkcal

based.....

>Greeks
Ftfy

It was real sourdough bread though. Fermented grains that are a complete food, not today’s empty calorie frankenbread

Based

>greatest fighting force of the ancient world
The Imperial Roman army would probably trump many armies up through the Middle Ages

>each city state used different coin
Buddy, Greece has used the drachma since before Jesus all the way until 2002 when they took the Euro.

The Romans actually had a notorious amount of difficulty dealing with cavalry.
If they survived long enough to adapt to medieval equipment and tactics, I don't doubt they'd thrive - but then they'd be vastly different from classical Roman legions, so I'm not sure the point stands.

ITT: Autistic fucks talking about how life was better back in the day while they are sitting inside of a comfortable house with A/C using their computer or phone to type this out on the internet

Attached: 1445185415006.gif (286x258, 2.51M)

We were shaped by our environment, we are all weaklings now. I would've rather lived then and hang out with the bro's day in day out and have great adventures and top-tier cardio than live the life I'm living now.. a simple office clerk tired of being a wageslave.

Attached: 5f0.jpg (400x281, 34K)

ITT: Autistic fucks talking about how life was better back in the day while they are sitting inside of a goo filled pod using their brainwaves to provide computing capacity to keep alive a system which keeps them happy.

Why did the pilum fall from grace? No other infantry after the romans that I know of carried javelins yet they seemed ideal.

this is a high IQ post

Attached: D3GjZylX0AEKRI0.jpg large.jpg (436x536, 43K)

H-haha no, we are f-free to live as we please

They didn't have a solid cavalry of their own, but they had their own tactics to face cavalry.

They could stretch their lines to avoid being flanked and their heavy armor was usually more than enough to deal with horse archers.

In truth, even their notorious defeat at carrhae could have been avoided if the parthians didn't have so many fucking arrows and if crassus didn't fuck it up so bad. They had the tools to survive.

Nice channel thanks

I just finished that episode. I found it very informative and interesting. Big fan of Dan Carlin

They DID survive long enough to do that, as the Byzantine empire. It was cannons that did the poor bastards and Constantinople in.

>Yea buddy whe should divide into city states with diferent laws and coin and form coalitions and war over the most stupid shit.
yes

They had okay-ish period tactics, but medieval cavalier would absolutely wreck Romans. You'd likely see a return to early Roman warfare, where they still used mobile derivative of the phalanx, to deal with it - the gladius and scutum would be trash against knights.

The part that amazes me the most is that most were probably only 5’5 and 140lb and ate little protein

This is a better question for Jow Forums or /tg/

kek, i love brian regan

Your average weight lifter here has trained himself to push absolute power into like 5 repetitions of one movement. Sustained full-body effort would kill half of us, myself included.

This makes me sad for some reason.

I'd love to be Olivier Richters for just one day

I did stretch the truth a bit.
Although I get what you mean.

Attached: file.png (1247x192, 19K)

Yes, in Roman culture and many contemporary cultures meat was reserved for the privileged and grains/fruit were for peasants and even soldiers. Weird how marketing has convinced people to reverse those food groups in the last 50 years (the latter is far more profitable than the former).

Can no one answer him?

Attached: 1493382492756.jpg (500x283, 17K)

Easy mode for the ottermode elite

Attached: 1494116150232.png (427x771, 127K)

Funny thing, later Romans in the eastern remnant of the Empire developed the best medieval heavy cavalry.

Attached: cataphract.jpg (650x688, 72K)

They were using that currency since before Alexander the Great and gave it all away so some big corporations can earn more money, what a fucking shambles.

Not the same guy, but I am a regular on Jow Forums, so let's see what they think.

What an absolute unit. Imagine this guy fucking charging at you. I would actually shit my pants. There’s sources from that Sassanid Byzantine War that say that heavy cataphracts would literally just trot towards the enemy because they were so impenetrable and so heavily armored that they didn’t want to waste energy by charging. Just imagine a group of these fuckers just taking their sweet ass time to bash your skull in because they know you can’t do shit against them. The dread and anxiety would be horrendous.

Now imagine if they'd developed that without giving up the old heavy infantry like in OP. Would be like Alexander's hammer and anvil tactics on a truckload of gear.

oh no no no no no

Attached: DOOOOOOOOT DOOOOOOOOOOOT.jpg (1416x1050, 215K)

Germanians at the time used javelins also, but as their primary weapon. Swords were rare and likely only carried by high-status members of the “tribe”. Only a few also used helmets.

T. Tacitus

Meant for

t. never played Rome:Total War

underrated post

>20 miles
>long

Aylmao

Attached: 5B315CCA-E262-483A-866F-1E7B549A5C4A.jpg (686x573, 76K)

Yeah, no.

Kek

Ordinary soldiers would receive bracelets for the upper arm as an honour, many of which still exist and their arms were fucking massive

Source? Interested

They wore them like medals, not actually on their arms. Pic related.

Attached: c06208ae1715d14c299e11d00ec2a120.jpg (736x1046, 178K)

Not to mention, just as today there were many cases of on the battle field promotion for valor in combat. Very hard and risky life, but it had rewards which the wagecuxks here could not imagine.

Attached: 1547175443087.jpg (750x750, 44K)