I feel like I need something more than just going to the gym. Is BJJ a good thing to do in addition to lifting...

I feel like I need something more than just going to the gym. Is BJJ a good thing to do in addition to lifting? Anyone here doing it and can say something about it?

Attached: wrestler-in-bjj-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JQEkWSz8reg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's amazing, but injury is a real possibility. if you want to keep your joints pristine then don't do it

>if you want to keep your joints pristine then don't do it
Yeah, everyone who does it ends up with farked elbows from white belt armbar freakouts. Try kickboxing.

Go and try. Combat sports are amazing tools to get and stay in shape. Find one you enjoy and you won't regret it.
Bjj is the safest of them all regarding injuries though.
Striking sports may give you with a broken nose way sooner than your first over extended elbow. Unless you're doing cardio kick boxing/boxing which is no different from zumba.

Attached: 1404153016084.gif (320x180, 1.19M)

Right, but a nose is an easy fix. Busted joints because a newbie panicked and went full ham on an armbar take forever, or never, heal.

OP here. Tried boxing when I was younger and it was fun but dont want the risk of brain injury which is very real with boxing since you take so many hits to the head. Feel like kick boxing could be even worse?

Thats also one part for why I looked into BJJ

I think im going to give it a try at least. Brain injury is what I most want to avoid and for that at least BJJ seems safe. Im a little worried about teh choking though, how common is it to pass out in training BJJ? Feel like that could be bad in the long term

>getting subbed by a white belt

>how common is it to pass out in training BJJ?
Unless you are in competition, it should never happen. Again, the problem is new and undisciplined students who either freak out, don't know their strength, or have tiny egos.

As far as brain injury, it seems one will never know their capacity for that until it is too late. In other words, there may be some people that are less disposed to it than others, just like there are some people who get concussions just from walking into a door. I'd like to think that cranial size, hydration, neck muscles, and training all factor into that. For the record, I've done MMA training that had BJJ, wrestling, boxing, kickboxing taught at full contact. Only competition was some no-gi tournaments.

And no belts sub black belts.

Attached: fg.jpg (225x225, 12K)

its awesome and addictive as all fuck. You will get injured doing it, possibly seriously.

Been doing it for 1,5 year, never even saw it happen. It does happen in comps on occasion, but not as often as you'd think. I'd be more worried about joint injuries, but you can prevent that by tapping early and tapping often. Also, make sure the guys you roll with aren't retards and respect the tap. Really, the most difficult bit about bjj is finding good training partners.

>Really, the most difficult bit about bjj is finding good training partners.
Exactly the point.

There is a Uke/tori relationship in proper training. This goes for BJJ and Judo. And if the uke isn't trained to receive the move in a way they won't get hurt, or the tori tries to hurt the uke, no learning really happens.

Do you want to go to the ground with men, and roll around hugging their backs?

Yeah try BJJ, it's really fun. Strength is also an advantage in BJJ

It's very fun, but expensive, and not for everyone like they claim. Make sure the instructor is legit, ideally somebody who also has a judo or wrestling background so that you have a decent takedown game as well. BJJ is not the end all be all to grappling, taking things from judo, sambo and wrestling can be immensely valuable. It's going to suck at first because you're going to get smashed, but you'll learn a lot and if you grind it out through the rough stages at the beginning it gets more and more fun/rewarding. Just stay calm, don't spaz too much and pay attention. Just don't become one of those r/bjj guys that bitch about the opponent using too much top pressure or some fag that posts #jitzlife or some other bullshit on social media all the time after training for four months. It will make you more confident though and provide motivation to eat healthy, sleep well and stay fit so you can stay on the mat. Assuming you end up liking it, most people won't make it a month.
> other white belts have impeccable submission defense
This. Find a good school. And for your sake, learn proper ukemi (breakfalls). Had a new blue belt come to our school from another that did fuck all for takedowns and it was ugly when I ippon seoi nage'd him. I didn't know.
This. Technique is just a force multiplier. Don't neglect your strength training. See it like building body armor -- it'll make you stronger, tougher and more resilient to injury.

t. blue belt, 3.5 years

>Had a new blue belt come to our school from another that did fuck all for takedowns and it was ugly when I ippon seoi nage'd him.
I'd love to see that.

You should definitely train bjj, Ive been doing it for about three years. Wash your gi, keep your nails short, and remember tapping is your friend. Even if a sub feels a little weird fucking tap.

>armbars
It’s the kneelocks that’ll get you. White belt armbars you can see from a mile away, but fuck kneelocks you can have purple belts do those and things go just a little wrong and its bad

Here's my recollection of it.
> I enter into the throw
> Feel him trying to cling on my back and not just accept the throw.
> He's taller than me, so I'm worried he's going to go neck first into ground.
> Do the thing where you keep popping your hips up while taking short hops backward to
> His head is now clear, he lands like an awkward sack of potatoes.

I absolutely love bjj. Its my main hobby and I think about it most of the time. I love the feeling of easily beating people bigger then me or hitting a sweep on someone better then me. Downsides are Im almost always injured. Nothing major but sore shoulder here, cant move my neck to the left there, etc. It also makes me way to tired to lift weights. With a job and class three times a week I dropped lifting weights to maybe once a week.

It has leaned me out and is insane cardio wise. Ive also lost muscle mass but Im ok with it. Having a super large body is almost bad for bjj. You want strength but you need the cardio to use it. Having both is pretty much a full time job. I can also eat whatever I want and never really worry about my weight. Im not stuffing pizza in my face every night but I can binge and not care at all.

Having the inner self confidence that I could realistically kill 90 percent of the people I ever meet is cool too.

nice.

Attached: judo is wrestling with a jacket.gif (544x394, 3.7M)

Yes it's fun. Lifting never did much for me in releasing stress and aggression, but bjj works.
It makes lifting feel more useful, since you're actually using your muscles for something, but also more boring. Train your rotator cuffs.

>tfw your gym has a huge space and every roll starts standing

Attached: 1402363596638.png (512x512, 308K)

boxing

Only do it if you've got money to burn, those gyms are expensive

those take downs are slightly different, with the wrestling throw at higher risk of injury due to landing on your opponent. Just started wrestling and this throw scared the shit out of me

I'm a BJJ purple belt after 5 years. It's my favorite part of any day. Basically, I could get an hour of grappling against big memers 4 days out of the week and instruction on the other 3. It's a very social place because you have a mutual interest to talk about. Some of my favorite conversations ever were at the end of a competition class, where we're all exhausted, the air is hazy, and we have a bunch of endorphins running around. You'll probably find police officers, EMS guys, construction workers, immigrants, and well-established business people rolling around.

People have already mentioned injuries, but there's also skin infections to watch out for. You'll learn quickly that you need to keep up with laundry, scrub off well, clean your gym bag, etc.

You'll also learn to fight pretty well, but that's a big controversial meme on Jow Forums

Attached: l0Fbjek.jpg (960x960, 147K)

>endorphins
cool it with that word, keep it professional dude.

A quarter of the guys at my gym are first responders kek

based saenchai

RIP my meniscus from BJJ

was it worth it user or should I not do it

muy thai or kickboxing to stay active

bjj has this weird culty vibe and it became this big thing after some guy beat some former wef wrestlers in UFC

dont fall for the meme

>taking advice from a 3.5 year blue belt

BJJ works, but you have to actually do MMA for it to work effectively.

If you don't know proper takedown shooting for wrestling against a good striker, you'll get your face lit up. Yeah, if he's on the ground with you, you'll win, but getting there takes more than BJJ. Even in the UFC and the Gracie challenges, wrestlers gave the hardest challenge to BJJ only guys.

youtube.com/watch?v=JQEkWSz8reg

I just started going back to class actually. I happen to really enjoy it so to me it's like, "Fuck it". I don't think I was training my legs enough to support the weight of what I was doing. I also have so many other injuries that I really don't care at this point I just do what makes me happy

First responders love to grapple. You can go hard in a PvP situation without a lot of repercussions.

Attached: fuji_judobelt__beltfujiblack__front__1.png (2485x1391, 2.81M)

I want to get into BJJ but wondering how much it usually costs per month. How much is too much?

depends on you area and instructor

~100-150

It costs me about $160/mo

Depends entirely on where you live. In the US it can be incredibly expensive. I've seen gyms that charge for one month what I get eight months for in my country.

Chess
Music
Reading
Running
Cycling
Swimming
Yoga
Climbing
Basketball
Tennis
Golf
Fishing
Hunting
Backpacking
Minimalist backpacking
Gardening
Cookings
Smoking meat

>Smoking meat
did you just say meat smoking?

Attached: Screen_20Shot_202016-10-10_20at_202.34.40_20PM.0.jpg (1200x800, 191K)

are those meats being smoked in the back?

beef brisket

Attached: Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 2.35.25 PM.jpg (1192x796, 201K)

beef brisket? where is it being smoked?

As in training 3.5 years, not blue belt for 3.5 years. But fuck me everything I said must be wrong though. Please enlighten OP.

Jeez. I saw $160 recently and was afraid that might be accurate. These days it's so popular that I suppose it could name its own price.

I hate that you're right.

I have some gross foot warts - should I get rid of them before taking up BJJ?

For what it's worth Judo is usually way cheaper.

Yes. People are gonna be grabbing your feet and I don't wanna touch that shit. Beginners also tear up their feet on the mats and you're gonna be spreading it all over.

jesus fucking yes get those contagious fucking things off your body completely and don’t think about training until you are sure they are gone

are you sure? I mean what if I just wear socks?

Depends on your area. I live in an inexpensive state and I've paid $60 and $120 a month for the 2 gyms I've trained at. The cheaper place was a club, the other place is far better if you're a more serious practitioner. Expect to pay $100-200 a month for a quality gym. Well worth it if you can afford it. If not find a cheap club or do judo.

I think he was being sarcastic

They'll come off when you're rolling and it will make standup techniques very slippery/difficult, no bueno amigo

>implying you wouldn't land on the opponent if it was a match

can't have a match if you got injured from training
gotta land soft and treat your partners right brah

no it isnt unless you are a literal retard and want to waste 100$+ for useless shitty pajama wrestling that will get you killed irl
>inb4 some faggot links me a jewtube video where the "fight"clearly has by standers that are in favor of the faggot

What martial arts do you train? Ever been in a street fight?
I'm guessing it's none and no

for the love of god why did you reply to him, I already see this thread's future.

Attached: 412421312321.png (268x270, 111K)

>fallacy
enjoying doing fag wrestling
guess what your judo rip off wont work on the street
keep sucking eddie bravos and joe's dick and share some bjj epic meems on your kike book faggot

seethe harder

They do land on opponent in Judo too. The Judo demonstration was just slightly more academic.
Your gym sounds like mine. And yes Laundry is a big part of bjj, as well as nail cutting/trimming. Mine became brittle so I seriously think of following the 10th planet trend to polish my toes nail.
I had both my medial meniscus partially removed a year (left) and 3 years (right) and it bjj is worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had to.
Chess, yoga glimbing and cookings are the only ones slightly related.
You'd better work on your breakfall if it is all it takes to injure you.

Attached: 1441857850595.gif (245x184, 1002K)

>Mine became brittle so I seriously think of following the 10th planet trend to polish my toes nail.
what?

Trained twice to thrice a day for a while and my nails that never broke or had issue strated to split.
Many 10p member actually use nail polish to prevent it.
Split nails on toes, If not taken care of it can turn in an ingrown nail that need surgery to get treated properly.

Attached: tumblr_naofrmAJZl1tcfs15o1_400.gif (400x207, 1.96M)

Go for it, it's really fun. Personally, I can't stand the GI so I do no-GI and train MMA with minimal sparring. I think combat sports are one of the best forms of exercise. Yoga and bouldering can also be great additions to lifting weights.

Anyone try Krav Maga? Is there any cardio involved?

Krav Maga is usually just quick burst of actions that you take for crisis scenarios
it's also can be lethal so you never really train full force on it

Attached: 1525672516839.gif (200x222, 990K)

you’ve never had a black belt grab you and tear your fucking leg off

meme for soccer moms and LARPers

Jew KravMaga is, like everything the jooz put on the market, stolen from others and sprinkled with massive deception techniques on it.
If the goy want to use it fully they have to shut their ego down first or KM won't be useful

Attached: dragos.gif (640x360, 2.2M)

Anything that is so "lethal" you can never train full force is a complete meme.
To defend yourself when you get attacked the biggest thing you need to learn is avoiding panic and striking true even under intense stress, something you only learn through full contact sparring or actual fights. Which you can then use to fuck off, as that is the best reaction to people attacking you.
Aside from that, stuff like poking their eyes out or kicking their balls is just not reliable enough in a real fight. Too small, well protected and the other guy is obviously moving fast.

>implying you can't do that throw properly without risk of injury

issue is more that partner can't into breakfall.

Attached: 1554875705730.gif (326x52, 132K)

bjj is tournament fighting with set rules. it isnt going to save you in a street fight. the last thing you ever want to do in a street fight is go to the ground

you can get jumped. stabbed, shot ect. and most importantly, you've lost your ability to run away

>I feel like I need something more than just going to the gym.

Play rugby

I've been doing BJJ for maybe 8 years and coach at a gym which has produced several UFC champions - my elbows are completely fine.

BJJ is the safest grappling sport, but probably has a higher injury rate that striking sports. Striking sports especially for casuals have a pretty low injury rate. Most injuries are actually going to be from stand up grappling in Muay Thai.

Pretty uncommon to get choked out. You can always tap early. Most choke outs come from certain collar chokes which can come on fast and not cause pain. I've been choked out once. One of my coaches got choked out for the first time ever recently too.

One of my female students is a stripper, and we used to have more.

I'm one of the best leglockers at our gym and have literally never hurt someone with one. I think armbars probably can cause at least as many injuries because people respect them less. Also someotime their shoulder gets hurt from the grip break. We've had a few bicep tendons (At the shoulder) get popped from a kimura style grip break. The best armbar grips breaks have a similar mechanic to kimura or americana. Most knees get hurt from scrambles or takedowns.

Culty vibes usually come from gyms that have "Gracie" in the name. Avoid "Gracie" gyms.

We're like 160-250. I would be skeptical about a gym that is less than 150. They could be perfectly fine, but if it is cheap they probably don't have their shit together. Having a low price indicates to me that they don't value their own services, so why should you?

It's subsidized and less popular in other countries which explains the lower price.

I've never understood why people are so obsessed with these fantasy street fight scenarios that never happen.

Attached: 1529858365118.jpg (2736x3861, 3.82M)

>It's subsidized and less popular in other countries which explains the lower price.
Unsubsidized - and in case of our school, fully independent from external support - here, and I pay €400 a year - excluding discounts I get for teaching. I think that puts us in the pricier segment for BJJ around these parts.

i started boxing in a gym (in Brazil) where bjj is the focus, i dont have an intention of switching as i just started, but tell me more about beginning in jiujitsu

This is what can happen if you don't roll.

Attached: redditor_gets_choked.png (1024x797, 248K)

I had the exact same issue with multiple plantar warts. Took months of topical treatments and trimming, but they finally fell off. Started BJJ 2 months ago and it's a good time so far.

could do boxing or kickboxing without the sparring

Climbing or bouldering. Great way to stay lean and builds insane forearms. Good for you too

Attached: images (1).jpg (543x564, 14K)

Guy is a pussy but you shouldn't finish submissions on people outside the gym who aren't up for it. Especially untrained people.

Bjj is great. Try to find a gym that works on takedowns a lot. Wrestling is very important. Also, girls like it.

A big issue with those throws is sometimes instead of taking the gall properly, the partner will
>land on their head
>stick their hand out to catch themselves and break their hand
>hold onto the person throwing, so that that person falls too
The last one ends up with the thrower basically shoulder-slamming the throwee

*fall not gall

Judo’s cheaper. If price is a concern, do judo.

Guy’s a pussy, girls a retard. Moving on

Not after the price of shoulder and knee surgery it's not.

Attached: 1542941140015.gif (250x203, 136K)

>Try to find a gym that works on takedowns a lot. Wrestling is very important.

For what?

This is the reality that those dumb kids who think having a muscle waifu is great dont ever consider. You wont feel like a child being spoiled or slightly teased by "Mommy". You will feel like a bitch who cant even ESCAPE from a woman's choke.

You should unironically do Karate. You will develop strength and coordination without permanently fucking up your body, in addition to a ton of health benefits.

It may not be the most efficient martial art in terms of raw fighting ability, but if you train well you'll be a better fighter than 95% of the untrained goons out there.

Attached: karateka-png-2.png (217x333, 70K)

>karate
Nerd

I have very little formal martial arts training and have kicked more than a few people that study karate/tae-kwon do's asses.

I've been a bouncer at bars for 4 years now and can tell you that guys who study those arts have the most pathetic form of cockiness. None of them can take a full force punch. As soon as they take in the face you can see the panic in their eyes and they're useless after that.

A few weekends ago a co-worker and myself kicked out a guy that had a black belt in Tae-kwon Do and he was talking all kinds of shit to us saying he could kick our asses. He walked toward my co-worker (who can bench press 390 lbs unassisted) and touched his chest so my co-worker uppercut him once in the forehead and the guy was fucked. He had a concussion and had to get stitches and started crying on the sidewalk.

Anyways, my point is the only way you are going to be a good fighter is if you do some type of full contact martial art like boxing, BJJ, Judo or kick boxing/Muay Thai.

>Bjj is great. Try to find a gym that works on takedowns a lot.
I've found this close to impossible, BJJ has so much ground technique that most schools don't spend a lot of time on standup.
However there's an MMA gym near me, and they have wrestling classes, so that will be fun.