Bullied by my own family for trying to get fit

>turbo-newbie and too scared/lazy to go to gym so I order myself a used dumbbell set and 2,5kg of whey
>athlean-x has a great video that shows you can train your entire body with 8 dumbbell exercises, so i do his workout
>need to start somewhere so I put 2x 2,5kg plates on each dumbbell and start working out
>heavy as shit
>just before i was done dad walks in and asks me where i got the dumbbells from
>tell him i bought them (what a stupid question)
>he takes one from my hand and feels up the weight, looks at the plates and says that i could lift that 100 times and not add any muscle
>i tell him it's good weight for a beginner and i am really feeling the pump
>he tells me the exact same thing again, you could lift the weight 100 times and not add any muscle because you need resistance
>tell him everybody has to start somewhere and the dumbbell bar weights good 2kg as well
>he does an irritated snore and gives me my dumbbell back and tells me that breakfast is ready
>get breakfast and write this
what a fucking asshole seriously, who the hell starts with arnold schwarzenegger tier weight

Attached: 1493292647117.jpg (297x268, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=unFkdsvCeLI
youtube.com/watch?v=sm1K_pdVX0s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I mean he's kind of both a cunt and somewhat correct. If it's going to take you several sets of dozens and dozens of reps to reach remotely close to muscular fatigue/failure then it's going to take so long that it's not worth your time.

At the same time yes, everybody has to start somewhere and learning movements with a safe weight is a good choice.

You do you user, the important thing is that you want to be better. Don't let shit outsiders perspectives stop you from achieving that

Step 1: turn 18
Step 2: move out
Step 3: prove your dad wrong

Forget about him user, it's your journey. Letting yourself be bothered by someone else's opinion is just setting yourself up for failure before you even start. As long as you keep at it and push yourself you'll make progress in no time.

but i don't need dozens and dozens of reps, those 5kg dumbbells were pretty heavy, i did two sets of each exercise (to start slow) with 1x 12 reps and 1x 10 reps
>Don't let shit outsiders perspectives stop you from achieving that
thanks i do that
>50489830
i am 23 but still in an apprenticeship so i earn jack-shit and have to live here for at least 2 more years, was a neet before that so i still live at home

He is absolutely right. How are you planning to train your bigger muscles like legs, back, chest with such little weight?

well hes not wrong, spend your money on a gym memebership and lift heavy shit

>5kg dumbbells
I use those to warm up my rotator cuffs and give my arms and shoulders a little pump before I train upper body
You will not make gains with that light of weight you need to really force adaptation

Oh god go to the gym, follow a fullbody program and stop wasting time with dumbbells
Your dad is right you're a fucking headass dyel
Stop pretending to getting fit and go to an actual gym with barbells and actually make use of your time
Athlean x dumbbell programs aren't gonna get you fit
Im not even trying to be mean but holy shit

you're being a total pussy, why do you even care this much? take his advice or ignore it

i have more than just those plates, i could put up to 13kg on just one dumbbell, it's just that i start with 5kg ones
see the above, plus i could only do two sets with 5kg
please read my other posts i use 5kg because anything above that is too heavy one handed and i can put up to 13kg on my dumbbells, surely this would be enough for now, plus i do calisthenics and my dad put a pull up bar on my doorframe a couple years ago that i will start using now as well
i have never lifted any weighs in my 23 years of life and i was feeling pretty exhausted and sore after i did my workout surely its not useless.

Honestly dude, fuck your dad.
First of all you are right, everybody has to start somewhere.
And even if he was right and you were using to little weight , his job should be to guide you in the right direction in life, not make derogatory comments when you are trying to improve yourself.

Ignore him and find your own way in life user, it sounds like he gave up a long time ago

i just want whats best for you bb, barbells are non negotiable.

>Athlean x dumbbell programs aren't gonna get you fit
This, not without a theraband

Attached: Untitled.png (1366x768, 1.54M)

There's no way even a 40 kg skeleton can struggle with 5kg, you can't possibly be this weak at 23, even if you're a girl.
If you're actually serious, you can start with a 15kg Barbell at the gym. You're wasting time with this
Also I'm not sure what you're gonna do with a pull up bar if you struggle with 5kg, but at least it's a less of a waste of time than dumbbells if you can rep something out on it

Youre gonna make it buddeh

>need to start somewhere so I put 2x 2,5kg plates on each dumbbell and start working out
>tell him everybody has to start somewhere and the dumbbell bar weights good 2kg as well
>heavy as shit
Ohohoho no no no no no, PLEASE be bait. Your dad is right.

You would be better off doing bodyweight workouts
youtube.com/watch?v=unFkdsvCeLI
youtube.com/watch?v=sm1K_pdVX0s
Can you hang with Dolph? :^)

Attached: ronnie.png (680x668, 384K)

i am a 60kg skeleton and male and it's more like 7kg (2,5kg plate, 2,5kg plate + dumbbell bar), so if i take a 15kg barbell which i grip with 2 hands it's 7,5kg per hand which is only 0,5kg higher than what i am lifting now with dumbbells one handed. gym membership is not cheap plus i would need a good 30 minutes to go there and 30 minutes back with public transport which would absolutely suck if i can just do it at home. a pull up bar is always good, and i can do 10 chin ups and 7 pull ups for my first rep but after that it becomes half of that admittedly. for an absolute beginner it can't be that bad, plus you should watch the video of athlean-x where he shows that you can train your entire body with dumb bells.

and one more thing i do not "struggle" with 5kg, i did the workout of athlean x with 2 sets, one time 12 reps and one time 10 reps

>Kek that's a brutal mog
Take his advice or get over it. If you need to find a support group everytime someone says something negative, you need to grow thicker skin. It's harsh but the truth.

Attached: 1551734131770.jpg (1862x2202, 803K)

>taking advice from people who don't lift

Yeah it's not that bad 10 chins ups and 7 pullups for a beginner is amazing assuming you do full range of motion. Please do yourself a favor: go to a gym, follow x3 full body Starting Strength/Stronglifts/ICF 5x5 etc. Start with the barbells, add weight every workout, eat way more than you do right now.
The red pill is that you can't really get much out of your dumbbell training. Also it just signals to me that you're not really serious about gaining muscle. I know going to gym might be scary at first, but not everything worth doing is easy in life.
Also Jeffs advice on gaining muscle should be thrown out the window. Look at Jesse, 2 years and he's still dyel
Please user, I really want you to succeed just listen to this advice

non fit non gym going people love to talk about working out because it's easy to talk about
>been doing bodyweight shit for a month
>start going to gym following SL 5x5
>feel noob gains, having fun and looking forward to the next day in the gym
>tell Jow Forums side of family
>support, encouragement
>tell fatass side of family
>"muscles aren't attractice" + advice to do some meme tier cardio type shit like crossfit
fuckem

Yikes
Are you American? I swear that fat side of the family is purely american thing
Proud of you bro, don't listen to them they are just coping

yeah, coincidentally non fit side of the family does the "I need to lose weight" thing then goes to the store and buys ice cream, cookies, and chips before thinking about real food.

Absolutely based dad going over his ding-dong diddly simp of a son.

i like this pic. mind if i save it?

>5kg
Are you a girl? Seriously how fucking small are you?

Dumbells are great for starting out, if you stay afraid of the gym while you progress then either get a powerrack or invest in a good pullup bar with some resistance bands.

Good on you with starting, fucking dyel.

I don't understand this. You're struggling with 7.5kg on a dumbbell but you can do all those pull ups and chin ups? How does that work?

If the guy is untrained then 5kg (probably 7kg when you count the bar) will make him pretty tired. Might not give muscle development, but he probably hasn't lifted before so his muscles will get a shock from actually being used.

When I started lifting dumbbells I think I started with like 4kg and I remember that wrecking me the first few times after doing a routine.

Isn't that like 12 pounds

I benched over 1 plate untrained

Any idea what you could curl untrained?

I'm sure I could've lifted more, but doing a full routine back then with 4kg really took it out of me. I think it's moreso a movement/muscle use thing to begin with rather than strength. I mean I very quickly maxed the 20kg set that I had after I started and now I'm at the point where a lot of gyms don't have dumbbells that go high enough to be useful for me on certain excercises.

you need to chill and learn to take some advice

lol beta, never gonna make it.
why cant amerikunts handle banter?

He doesn't wanna take advice, he just wants validation
Not sure if this is the best place for it though
Never gonna make it, oh well can't help people who don't want help

okay

I didn't do curls because fit told me not to lol

You didn't join the real and active Official Fitness Server on Dis cord yet??
Advice on routine and posture advice, motivate each other, awesome stories, feels, food pics recipes and diet checks, fasting, etc.
Self improvement, nofap, powerlifting, fraud (steroids), martial arts, current body thread, injury prevention, etc.
We also have some fun channels like memes.
For those who want more adventure, we have a contest: post a pic in begin of the month, and one at the end. Then users vote and the winner gets prize money!

We accept people from all fitness levels: fat, average or athletic. As long as you are encouraging and motivating you are most welcome!

dis cord (dot) gg / v3wR7nr

Attached: 1539193201488.jpg (480x622, 73K)

Athlean-x is just the new sixpackshortcuts

He has some solid info but noobs actually think he's the perfect YouTuber know it all
His only useful advice that ive seen was about facepulls and eating raw ginger

Step 4: Patricide
Step 6: Motherape

>implying you need to get to muscular failure to build muscle and get stronger

Volume is all that mattets cunt

Don't forget progressive overload brah
But ye don't go to failure just do another set instead

Based and oedipuspilled

Congratulations! Are you gonna pick up your plaque in person or have it mailed?

Normies think they know everything. Start at the weight that gives you a muscular overload at 3-4 set range. Add more weight as time goes on. Full body workouts are great for beginners because it gives you a good strength foundation to build off so just keep doing what your doing and if your family tells you any different politely tell them that they’re distracting you from becoming a suck cunt.

He has a point.

5kg is nothing. Your better off putting the weights on a backpack and doing press ups.

Bro its fucking crabs in a fucking motherfucker bucket. Shit pisses me off.

Bro same shit happened with me, I started out scrawny with no money, just books, backpacks and a belt.

Ny family made fun of me saying I wouldn't never get muscles lifting backpacks and to just enjoy smoking weed and eating cookies.

Those fat fucking pricks laughed at me, I'm laughing now. They are all twice the size they were, but so am i.

Keep doing shat you are fucking doing OP, but move to a barbell and rack as fu king soon as you can.

Here I was on the left when everyone made fun of me.
Here I am on the right, no one makes fun anymore.

Attached: 20190416_183857.jpg (2896x2896, 1.91M)

That's a incredible story man, how do they treat you now? I imagine a lot of jealousy

Absolutely based user

They are very clearly jealous, and always asking me how to gain muscle/lose fat.

I always tell them, eat less for fat, lift for muscle, I tell them I would literally give them a diet/lifting plan but as soon as they hear it's more than popping a magic pill they say they don't care.
Then they complain about being fat and unhealthy.

Despite the fact that they used to shit on me about lifting I still hate to see them fat and unhappy, but I cant change them, I can only help them If they want to change.

He is probably over 18 already

otherwise....MOOOOOODS