Running with size

So obviously cardio kills gains is exaggerated when you’re mileage isn’t marathoner level, but can I achieve the following stats and run up to 10 miles 3-5 days a week? 6’1” 210lbs

And how much will this increase my caloric needs? My sister is a marathoner and regularly eats entire jars of peanut butter but stays at under 130lbs and super lean (she actually had hormonal problems from having such low body fat at one point). I wanna achieve something similar, have a maintenance of over 3500 calories.

Attached: 3D7472E8-EB96-4F01-9C70-4AB7E9A9177D.jpg (940x788, 465K)

About 100 extra calories per mile.

Running burns 3/4ths your calorie in body weight per mile as a safe rule. so at 210 like you are, you'd burn 157.5 calories for every mile you run.

College XC runner here. I can tell you from lots of experience that you can't maintain muscle mass at more than about 25 miles a week. Even then you will lose some. Its pretty much one or the other, run or lift. Unfortunately.

Damn I thought running more like 20 a day would do that. Maybe I’ll go for it and try to maintain a nice twunk physique. It’s really mostly because I want to eat more, but also I wanna break davaid Goggins level records and would prefer to do it with more mass

Yeah man. People underestimate how taxing running is on their body. You need years of training to do ultras like that guy and just being heavy is gonna give you knee problems. There is a reason runners are so lean. Running is a great way to cut but you're gonna cut muscle also. No avoiding it.

Damn. Checked. Noted. Well I am cutting right now, but like you said I’m heavier than I’d like to be for knee reasons. Fucked them in the past running overweight. I’m gonna bike for now, maybe when I get under 210 I’ll run again

You can always sprint.

Just run less. Why not run 3 miles 3-5 days a week? You will be in great cardio shape and won't have to worry about a major calorie deficit.

To give you an idea I used to run 80 miles a week for school. I was 6'4" at 165lbs.
After college I started lifting got to 205 after a few years . Every couple years I do a 5k race for nostalgic reasons and run about 40 miles a week to train for 3 months. I eat about 6000 calories while doing this and still get down to 185lbs and feel like I'm almost starting over at the gym when it's over.

>So obviously I'm addicted to food
the post

Post body skelly

No thanks, I don't want to break your NoFap streak

Savage!

cardio killing gains is a meme. sadly even jeff cavalier used this meme for views in a vid.. saying cardio before a workout gave him less pullup reps.

I mean it is pretty much common sense to do conditioning AFTER strength training.. just done overdo it. don't look to cardio as a way to burn calories. instead look at it as a workout for your heart.

faggot!

6'4" 270 lbs here

Trying to run a about mile a week right now with the goal being weekly 5k's. Right now ankle strain is keeping my distance and frequency down because 270 is too heavy to run.

According to Strava I'm burning 250 kcal/mi at 9:30 pace.

Attached: 20190420_165400-2268x4032.jpg (2268x4032, 1.26M)

Doing high impact cardio while overweight is fine as long as your goals don't include staying healthy and surgery free as long as possible.

If you just want to be aesthetic and HEALTHY and live a long life without much pain, you better cut your weight 20-30lbs and just stay lean.

My main point is that you should always check your actual goals with whatever the fuck you are doing currently. They often aren't a match.

Damn Trevor Phillips got huge

>I know nothing about cardio

Yup. I run about 2 days a week in the morning for PT (military fag) and 2-3 more days a week on my own. Hasn't stalled my squat at all. I'm literally running smolov base cycle rn at night while doing hard 4-5 mile trail runs. It's just when you approach marathon / ultra mpw that it gets fucking tough to program shit.

I can’t even lie that’s probably the best comeback to that I’ve heard. You’re still a bitter skeleton, but you made me kek

I hear you but 205lbs at 10% bf isn’t really overweight at 6’1”

>smolov
>doing any additional exercise
You’re a madman.

t. sub 4pl8 squat

just finished 1.84mi in 18:08 oof

That's really excessive for training unless you're trying for an insane time (mentioning this because you say nostalgia, not sure if the nostalgia comes from winning/success or just the race-day feel because ik both are top-tier feels). You could easily get away with substituting much of your running with biking, swimming and more explosive training since, assuming you have a background in XC from your description, 5k is still on the cusp of a speed race.

Running gets way harder when you're bigger. I ran a 5k race this morning in 24:49 with a couple of decent inclines. I am 6'1" and 270#. I was dead and sore after, but I haven't run in 5 months due to training for GoRuck events and using the rowing machine. My best 5k is 22:57 on a flat course. You need to work your way up with a schedule, not just go out and try to be faster. Combination of longer, slower runs and sprint drills will help get you ready. Of course, this leaves less time for lifting, so you're gonna have to make a trade-off if you want to be faster.

Don’t run more than 1-2 miles at a go, no more than 3 times a week and you’re fine. If you feel the need to run more than that, do sprints (4x200m; 4x400m) in place of a distance run. Modify calories as needed.

If you do that, and keep your lifting up, you will ALWAYS be able to handle distance running (3 - 10 miles) on short notice with no prep.

Humans were built to run long distances. It’s how we evolved. Stay fit, and you’re always be built for it without having to do it all the time.

That's minimal training actually.
And you have no idea what you're talking about

Can you elaborate on your training method? I'm trying to get my 5k down to 24:00 by August.

t.

Fucking pathetic

bls help senpai

It's basically a build-up to a 5-day or 6-day system. MWF are longer, slower runs with TT being shorter, faster runs or sprint work. A starting week could be Monday: 1mi slower pace, Tuesday: 1/2mi faster pace, Wednesday: 1.5-2no slower pace, Thursday: Sprint work, Friday: 2-3mi slower pace. Saturday & Sunday: Rest. Then, the next week you build off those miles or adjust the workouts as needed. Slowly, you can build up the distances. You can adjust your rest days as needed, and get some weight training done as well, but you might be better off with bodyweight training.

Non sense. Use gear and eat like a pig

>distance running
>(3 - 10 miles)

You are cute.

Unfortunately you are right on this and Scoobers is wrong. In my experience as well above 25/30miles a week it becomes very difficult to maintain soze. Especially at 6’+ and 200lbs+

Fuck running, it destroys joints. Inline marathon skating is where its at, its actually fun because you go FAST and 0 impact on joints. As long as you dont give a fuck about looking gay as fuck its the best cardio out there.

Most people who put in a lot of miles end up lifting less and not eating enough. And guess what, you will lose muscle mass doing that.

I am unironically tempted to do this.

Also doing loads of sprints and high intensity stuff - which will interfere with your lifting.

>runs a marathon every day

Attached: mds-camhanes.jpg (1001x600, 164K)

>150 mile weeks

Attached: img.jpg (355x492, 57K)

If you're heavy and running 10 miles a day, you're going to be putting some big limits on the volumes you'll be able to recover from in the gym. Doing cardio is fine but doing cardio like that is looking like running focused training with lifting on the side (Which is fine if that's what you want). You will be able to make gains but it'll not be optimal.

"snaps back"

It is if you're planning on running a lot routinely and not expecting knee issues later on. 150-180lbs is the normal range for runners at that height.

Well shit man. I already have knee issues. Maybe I’ll stick to cycling? I guess if I want to attempt any super long runs I can do it while at 185 lean and then after a couple years gain mass and go bikefag mode

Don't fucking run. There's a extraordinary risk of injury and joint degeneration.

Look up the fucking stats for running injury rates. It's absolutely ridiculous, something like 30-50% compared to less than 1% from lifting.

Running is just starting a ticking time bomb to get hurt. If you've ever had runnerfags as friends it's so fucking sad as they COPE their way through sprains, blisters, chafing, torn ACLs, pulled hamstrings, knee degeneration (at under 25!!!), toe fractures, plantar fasciitis etc etc.

Do low impact activity like incline walking, biking or swimming instead if you want cardio

Yeah but I wanted to do bigger harder shit like over 100 mile runs in 24 hours :/