People were very likely happier hundreds of years ago when religion gave meaning to the lives of 99...

People were very likely happier hundreds of years ago when religion gave meaning to the lives of 99,99% of the world's population. The more we have learned, the more meaningless things seem to have gotten, with every bit of gained knowledge about the universe the sense of actual mystery and magic that we saw the world with disappears gradually.
Our emotions are just chemical reactions, there are probably trillions of galaxies like ours out there but we will never reach them,
we know how the world and life on earth started and we have a more or less good idea of how the universe will end.
Is it possible that one day we will discover something about the universe that makes us feel empowerd and hyped instead of worthless? Are humans only going to grow more and more soul-less in the future?

Attached: 1538390094284.jpg (640x468, 66K)

We are all doomed from the start.

Attached: 1544380420317.gif (480x288, 798K)

Technology is going to expose more of our delusions in the future; we haven't reached the end of humanity yet. I think nearly every self-described irreligious person still has their own faith-based system and they will feel deeply unsettled when it comes crashing down, myself included.

I just hope we find a way to transfer consciousness to something more durable than human bodies. I read that there are specific sequences of nucleotides on the ends of DNA strands that get shorter as people age, and eventually they get so short that cells just can't divide to replace themselves anymore. The brain also just shrinks as the years go on, and neurons don't really replace themselves. At least if I wasn't stuck in this decaying body, I could have the hope that I'd live to see humans find out how subjective experience is possible and whether or not this universe is real or a simulation/dream/etc. As is, it's incredibly disheartening that the only way there is for me to find out if consciousness goes on after death is to die.

This is a pretty dark period to live in. A lot of people are realizing that the answers religion offered were probably untrue, but there isn't anything to fill in that gap. Sometimes it feels like the only appropriate response to this reality is sheer terror.

Attached: blackpill inspirobot.jpg (650x650, 57K)

It's a matter of perception user, the more we learn about how scarce and precious life is, and how hard to is to maintain it, the more we learn that mankind truly is God's greatest creation. If you ever studied the interdimensional theorum then you'll understand that even if we learn everything about this universe, that you've only peeled back a single layer of an infinite onion.
God is very possibly a being existent in a dimension countless levels above our own.
Mankind no matter how small harbors so much potential, as far as we know nothing like us exists, that means that the overwhelming responsibility is ours to maintain life throughout this baren universe and guarantee that it can exist forever...
But we can't do that if we let nihlism get in the way. Think of humanity as a species in it's adolescent phase, we're going through puberty, and are just coming to grips with the reality of ourselves and the world, when we make it past this metamorphosis and mature we will begin our destiny, but it's up to the people alive today to ensure we can maintain ourselves long enough to make it past these short centuries where so much evil has happened...

Attached: pontiac-grand-am-hot-wheels-show-car-1312687914-1147.jpg (374x292, 151K)

'our emotions are just chemical reactions'
le mao. you bought into it user

There's much more to it than science. When you dabble into the occult and religions, and start connecting dots, everything begins to make sense but also not. It just all becomes more and more hopeless and absurd the more you comprehend.

So basically, what you're saying is that ignorance is bliss.

You're letting the twentieth century nihilst bullshit get to you user, that was back when all the intellectual spheres got taken over by leftist whiners who did nothing but destroy people's faith during a post war era, sort of like kicking a kid when they're already down, all for the sole purpose of trying to enstil communism and cultural Marxism into Western Civilization, they haven't won yet, don't let them win user...

Attached: Dgyb4XgWsAIm2sM.jpg (661x936, 71K)

>Is it possible that one day we will discover something about the universe that makes us feel empowerd and hyped instead of worthless?
FTL travel? It sure would do the trick for me

>a way to transfer consciousness to something more durable than human bodies
Or this, but just so I can be around when FTL travel does happen.

> I read that there are specific sequences of nucleotides on the ends of DNA strands that get shorter as people age, and eventually they get so short that cells just can't divide to replace themselves anymore.
They're called telomeres and they play important roles in cell division. The reason neurons can't divide is because they lack them.
This is also why cloning is not a viable solution in the long term. The new organism is genetically old and will face problems much sooner than a peer obtained through breeding.

>People were very likely happier hundreds of years ago when religion gave meaning to the lives of 99,99% of the world's population.

fuck no people were treated like shit back then

>Reactionary`s first feelings of alienation the post editions 9001

Attached: sellaset.jpg (250x241, 12K)

>fuck no people were treated like shit back then
Yeah, dude. What the fuck was up with that one? "Religion made people happy." Fucking hilarious. He clearly hasn't researched any of the world's history if he thinks humanity was a utopia when we only had religion.

People are still treated like shit user, it's just that we have Civilizations where the people hold power so certain nations are better to live than others, there are places where people still live like the peasants of the middle ages, it's just that selfish polititians dangle empty promises over their heads to keep them enslaved rather than them simply accepting their life and being at peace with God and the universe they are stuck inside this perpetual hampster wheel of always wanting more and never finding it...
And as for those strong enough to wake up to their enslavement...

Attached: e7wD08R.png (730x397, 338K)

they are but it doesnt mean people were certainly better off when religion was more dominant. you are a retard

>They're called telomeres and they play important roles in cell division
Oh yeah, that's right. Now I remember where I read about this, it was an article about lobsters. They never stop producing telomerase, so lobsters never die of old age, they just get too big to move at some point. If we could find a way to alter genes so that the body never stopped making telomerase but also knew when the body was big enough, that would be pretty sweet.

I don't think they were happier they just had less free time to mope around feeling sorry for themselves and real problems like dying from tuberculosis

If it weren't for Christian philosophy we would never have had the Renaissance and you'd still be living as a peasant, you'd just be praying to a pagan patriarch rather than having the freedom to insult religion online and then whine about nothing being good enough.

Attached: 81UyRqSEd7L._SY550_.jpg (334x550, 39K)

>dude people were happier back then as peasants
>dude if it wasnt for them youd be living as a miserable peasant like back then

nice job ruining your own argument

The only reason you have the """freedom""" to say """anything""" is because its assumed by the authorities to be harmless because you are nobody and your stupid opinion is of no consequence. You're arguing for the existence of a """right""" that's one part cynical bread and circuses and one part shallow virtue signalling. Nothing has actually changed in 1000 years.

Attached: 1547526774352.jpg (750x818, 347K)

How did I ruin my argument, what I was trying to say was that people who lived like shit then we're at least happier than people who live like shit now. Also they were certainly happier believing in a religion that told them that they mattered rather than paganism which preached that only the biggest and baddest could reach paradise.
At least I even bothered to give an argument, all you're trying to do is pout and say that my persuit of happiness is futile and that I should just sit in my room and tip my fedora to whores on the internet like you.

Attached: 8cit571sdx501.jpg (750x716, 64K)

There is an insane amount of things to learn and a practically infinite supply of culture to absorb available to every last person in the first world and even a good part of the third world. That most people choose to do nothing with this privilege and live shitty miserable lives (arguably) not any more enjoyable than that of a poor peasant is on them, not on the availability of all the knowledge and culture.

You have no freedom? Okay than I guess you should just move to China or Russia and start talking shit about the government, I mean here you have no freedom but you can do that, so I suppose that that's not freedom, so they won't stop you in those countries right?

Attached: 1547824496361.jpg (721x605, 71K)

I never understood why people think "XDDDD UGLY PEOPLE BELIEVE IN THIS THING I DISAGREE WITH SO THAT MAKES IT WRONG!" is an adequate argument. It's the dullest version of an ad hominem you can use.

people were even more soulless back then than now, seeing as how they were forced to be more single minded in the way they think than they are now. there was no mystery or magic for the majority of the population either, everything was because "god farted it out of his ass" and it was heavily enforced

>Also they were certainly happier believing in a religion that told them that they mattered rather than paganism which preached that only the biggest and baddest could reach paradise.
lul religion did nothing but preach the latter back then. sorry to have burst your bubble. also you implied that peasants lived happier lives back then when they most certainly did not. moving the goalposts by saying that they couldve lived a tiny bit better or happier is weak

don't blame science, plenty of people believe in religious bs despite it

don't blame religion either, it's not the solution to the modern problem of information overload

Attached: coon tang.png (1280x677, 595K)

Wouldn't you rather know the truth, even if its disturbing, instead of being told a comforting lie and never knowing any better?

>People were very likely happier hundreds of years ago when religion gave meaning to the lives of 99,99% of the world's population.

Religion back then played a similar role as Hollywood does today.

Do Hollywood movies make you happy?

Maybe they made you happy when you were a kid and believed that crap, but now you realize they're bullshit. It's the same thing with religion and church.

It's about making you feel good and keeping you occupied.

The people who were convinced simply, lived a simple life. 50% of the population is like this whether they are religious or npc humanists who think science can solve everything.

It's not an argument, it's just to piss you off. which it apparently succeeded in doing.

How does talking shit about the government make you free? You're still its bitch either way whether you criticize it or not. Why is that meaningless standard the one all Americucks immediately leap on like a Swede jumping on a Muslim dick?

Attached: 993.png (585x481, 58K)

>The people who were convinced simply, lived a simple life
yes, a simple life of slaving away in the fields. not any better than today if thats the point you were trying to make

I still believe that there's a way of breaching the metaphysical boundaries between reality to bring her to our plane of existence.