If everything boils down to genetics and determinism, why should I bother engaging in self improvement at all?

If everything boils down to genetics and determinism, why should I bother engaging in self improvement at all?

Attached: 1550879962760.jpg (900x900, 1.16M)

But it doesn't, become the best version of you that you can be so that you can help defeat the cancer that writhes in our society

Because if you only had bad genes you would have been dead since birth, you must have enough good genetics to be able to get Jow Forums

the irony of what determinism means institutionally vs what it actually means objectively

determine your own life. wtf
and if u dont listen to me and do that well there's ur fkn proof u decide... jeepers.... take some time to self reflect and inspect the influences around you and potential of any given moment! i know it's overwhelming but you can pace it

It doesn't, which is why you should bother
Admittedly some people always have a headstart or better learning abilities but that doesn't make your quest for self-bettering invalid

Because whether or not you bother is what's determined.

Determinism is a meme that nihilistic people use as a way to justify their dull, stagnant way of life. Don't fall into this trap of thinking.

Genetics don't matter that much, assuming you're not either a literal retard or a cripple. What matters however is mindset. You can do a lot of great things if you really try to.

Sorry if this sounds like a facebook inspirational post.

Attached: you can do it!.png (513x513, 405K)

For the betterment of the state and its people, even the worse can be improved to a point in spite of limits that renders then tolerable to the populace. Besides, self-improvement isn't centered on appearance, whilst fitness is imperative to a degree it gives the idea that self-improvement exists only to attract a partner which it certainly isn't - great fitness helps inspire others and especially gives children insight as to what they should be achieving come adulthood such that the future generations can live better than us.

>assuming you're not a literal retard

Attached: 1552945631032.jpg (640x1216, 31K)

Because you can't do anything about it. Best to make the most of what you can. Constantly focusing on determinst ideas is just going to make you depressed.

Because that's a stupid meme that fearful robots use to rationalize comfort and inaction.

Its not wholly a meme though. There is a genetic limit to how much you can do. After a certain point, things just become too much for you. However, the key thing to keep in mind is that its a limit. Even the person with the best genetics will be nothing if he is continously depressed and hopeless.

>genetics being immutable
we're writing the code we pass onto our kids all the time

Is there a genetic limit? On everything? How do you know? Maybe those limits have nothing to do with genetics. For that matter, maybe those limits aren't actually there at all and you've just decided they are, and thus you never disprove their existence. As the saying goes: argue for your limitations and they're yours.

Yeah this is some nice inspirational postitve pop psychology and all but come on man. Determinism is a meme? Fucking lol. Genetics don't matter much? These are profoundly unscientific claims.

I guess it is true that accepting determinism can be overwhelming and paralyzing for some people, but there are ways in which it can be beneficial as well. There are many examples of people who believe in determinism or a lack of free will that have been extremely successful and accomplished in life. It does not by necessity have to be associated with negative life outcomes. Nevermind the fact that if determinism is true then a persons response to and formation of that belief or outlook in the first place was already determined by preceding events.

Your claim of genetics not being that important is demonstrably incorrect. On the contrary they are profoundly important. Basically everything about a person is heavily influenced by their genetics. You mention 'mindset' being more important but neglect to understand that your mind is ultimately a product of your brain which has been formed and functions in part based on your genetics, combined with environmental factors...etc. They are very much intertwined, not distinct and seperate concepts functioning independently from one another as you suggest.

determinism is pretty much proven by neuroscientists. brain needs input to work, so any decision you make is the result of a bunch of influences. it might feel like you are in control but really you're not

You say that like neuroscientists understand how the brain works.

internet vagina

you shouldnt there is no point user

I don't even care anymore. It's meaningless when at the end of the day I'm still going to be a worthless wagecuck barely scraping by.

Whenever people bring up determinism in this context, it's not about
>everything is pre-determined and could only have played out one way
as a scientific concept, it's about
>well if everything is pre-determined I might as well use that as an excuse for why I'm a complete failure, it's not that I've never tried, it's that I've never had a chance to try

Yee, livestream your rampage instead desu

True self-improvement = learning.

"The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn.

Attached: image0.jpg (900x900, 145K)

Laugh at god