Anyone know about buddhism? my therapist is trying to teach me about it but i can't tell if it's hippy bullshit or not...

anyone know about buddhism? my therapist is trying to teach me about it but i can't tell if it's hippy bullshit or not. has it helped anyone? i struggle being an anxious fuck who cares what others think about me too much, she thinks this can help

Attached: buddha.jpg (976x549, 184K)

Here's a quick rundown:
>four noble truths
>noble eightfold path

yeah buddhism goes hand in hand with stoicism for emotional control and pain tolerance. You don't have to be religious to take example from buddhists, my therapist isn't and I'm not but we read this good buddhist author that talks about tempering your patience.

Yes, come join our peaceful religion.

Attached: buddistmonk.jpg (600x797, 93K)

If it's American it's probably hippie bullshit instead of real Buddhism. Anyways the premises of Buddhism is that desire causes suffering, and to escape suffering you need to escape desire. Personally it sounds like it might work but replacing sadness with emptiness isn't that great of an accomplishment.

dukkah isn't exactly "suffering", it's means malcontent, the real example being as if you have a fucked up wheel like a shopping cart.

>therapist trying to force you down a religious path
lmao

In this time anything that tries to stop the mudslims is seen as "racism" or "hate".

All religion is hippie bullshit. Except for Al Qaeda.

Buddhism replaces sadness with contentedness, not emptiness. To be content is to be happy with the present and to be free from desire while being empty allows you to have a sense of longing and desire for change.
t. Guy who reads alot about buddhism and hinduism

Buddhism is really based and redpilled but most normies are just attention-seeking faggots who know absolutely fucking nothing of real Buddhism and just wanna try sounding different and esoteric and shit. Normies are absolute thrash and it's one in a million that knows a dint of Buddhism. On the other hand though, if you become a Buddhist it doesn't mean you should give away all your belongings and live in an empty room like I did. You don't have to give away your shit to become a real buddhist, just deattach yourself from them.

Attached: 1553287346745.jpg (4160x3120, 1.98M)

do you think it will help me stop caring what people think? i just want to get rid of my social anxiety and fear of others judgments

Buddhism is a dumb coolie moon religion. Become Orthodox instead.

Attached: ortho_pepe.png (2192x3912, 192K)

this
Stoicism is what you everyone should consider, read Aurelius' Meditations, should shed a light in that regard

Attached: Marcus-Aurelius.jpg (1052x578, 115K)

This. I'm laughing but it's pretty inappropriate

its definitely redpilled compared to christianity, as it feels like your typical sect which somehow got super popular.

Yes, definitely. Meditating everyday will give you peace of mind like no other. I'm not joking. All forms of Buddhism are cool, but I lean mostly towards Japanese Buddhism and Mahayana (which is opposed to Theravada, which seems really way more traditional and ancient, and seems to lack as much philosophical development in comparison). The Japanese philosophical development of Buddhism is particularly interesting.

Pic related is a Buddhist mahayana Chinese temple that I live close to and can visit every week.

Based and stoicpilled.

Attached: Zulaitemple.png (1000x750, 1.47M)

I feel like so many people completely miss the point of buddhism when they push it as a quick fix for depression and anxiety. It wasn't about making peace with the garbage of every day life, it was about fucking leaving it all behind so you don't have to waste your precious time with all the bullshit.

Yes. If you are an educated buddhist then you would hold no ego and thus have no fear of judgement. However, you don't need religion to figure out that other people don't think about you enough to raise trouble.
also

Based and redpilled. Let's become.buddhists and leave all this shit behind and ascend as ascetics.

Attached: D7luliM_d.jpg (470x591, 61K)

interesting. maybe i will meditate before going to work and see if it helps me calm down a bit. thanks for the responses everyone. i don't think she's pushing it on me, just trying to get me into mindfulness and stuff like that. i really like the idea of just being in the moment and being content so maybe i can train myself to do this. i will look into buddhism a bit more, maybe find a book to read. thanks again

this may sound like a silly question, but HOW do you meditate? i've tried but i always end up thinking about a ton of stuff and get too antsy to sit still

didn't lasted more than 6 months for me

>my therapist
>she thinks this can help
>she
>therapist
>she
>my therapist
>she
Found your problem m8

If you struggle with anxiety and caring too much what other people think about you try altering your neurochemistry. This anxiety fundamentally stems from neurochemical problems. "Baizuo buddhism" from some used up roastie with a psychology degree isn't gonna help. Drugs will help. Get phenibut. Get MDMA off the dark web. That's the way to alter the way the brain works. It's how you'll quiet down the noise in your head, all the voices nagging at you and how you'll start to act and behave the way you want to - free from the chains of anxiety. Getting this beast off your back is gonna make life feel so much better but it'll only get done by treating the affected organ with the proper medicine. Imagine you got congestion. Would you rather treat congestion with some SWPL roastie telling you to do yoga and eat vegan or would rather take a laxative medication and actually make your body take a shit? I hope the latter. Same with the brain, you gotta treat the organ with the right medication to affect the change you want to see. Gabapentin or phenibut are great anti-anxiety medication and occassional MDMA use (once every few months) is also a great treatment for anxiety.

Go take your destiny into your own hands and become the person you wanna be.

Attached: 1525279873829.jpg (1024x766, 118K)

Go to a place you will not feel exposed and no one will bother you. Your bedroom works.

You have to look at distractions as mental images and formations that are pasted onto your awareness. The goal is to focus on your breathing and experience your awareness while not paying attention to these distractions. You want to pay attention to your breathing only. You want to experience reality for what it is, without adding anything and without removing anything.

Do not confuse bodily sensations with mental formations.
Your peepee getting hard is a bodily sensation, the thing that makes it go hard is a mental formation.
Likewise, your breathing is a bodily sensation, the thoughts popping in your head while you meditate is a mental formation.

You do not need to sit like a monk.
But you should observe a few recommendations.
The aim is to sit in a position that is comfortable enough that you feel you could stay in that position for hours. This is why monks sit in the way they do.
Stiffness and muscular tension is not what you want to feel. You want to make your spine erect, but not feel muscular tension.
You can cross your legs like a native american.
Its important to never change your position once you assume one. You will feel like it, but its just mental formations bothering you again. You have to ignore and see it for yourself that they will go away if you don't get involved in the thoughts. Just get your attention back to your breathing. Don't be afraid if your legs get that weird sensation when blood flow is interrupted, you are not going to harm yourself if you ignore it and persist.
tl;dr about positioning: spine erect, not stiff, use pillows and cushions if you want, don't change positions once you assume one(you will want to, but is more unsastisfactioreness, and nothing is permanent, no even this discomfort)

Now to your breathing:
- close your eyes
- take three deep breaths.
- breath normally
- attention on the rims of the nostrils
- notice the feeling of breath going in and out
- ignore any mental formations. Thoughts, memories, sounds, smells, no internal dialogue etc. You job is to pay attention to your breathing only.

If your mind wander, get it back to your breathing as soon as you can. Its okay and its expected to lose yourself in thoughts, just get your concentration back to your nostrils and watch your breathing mindfully.
Focus on watching your breathing, not in controlling it. You are just watching it.

tldr;
after assuming a comfortable position with your spine erect:
- take three deep breaths
- breath normally
- watch your breathing and nothing else.

You do not want to think about nothing. You want to cultivate your awareness and pay attention to your breathing.
If you find yourself getting distracted by your thoughts and focusing attention on your breath is too difficult, try looking at it as paying attention to one breath at a time.
Download Mindfulness in Plain English if you want to know where I am getting this stuff from and you want to know more.
Try practicing for 15 minutes - 20 minutes.

thank you for explaining this. it's rare to get such thoughtful advice here. i'll try this stuff out next time i meditate.

What a terrible therapist. Buddhism doesn't help anyone, fuck her gay paganism.

It's like hinduism's retarded incest child/sentient tumour. 2nd best religion though.
Neither are hippie shit either. They're far more based than cuck-yourself-for-yeshua-goyim.

Your therapist is trying to teach you to meditate. Meditation is a significant solution to anxiety, and I meditate before amy stressful event so as to calm my heart rate.