Body weight exercises (Calisthenics)

Hey guys. It's been a year I started Calisthenics. I've made some progress like my biceps got bigger, shoulders got wider; hams, glutes and calfs became stronger - so much strong I can feel each muscle when I move. Before that I moved like a bag of shit, every time velocity was too high I bumped on doorjambs and tables.
Even more, for the first time in my life I can see my triceps clearly!

My problem is that it's going so slow. I'm exercising by the Convict Conditioning book, 3 times a week: 10 minutes warm up, push ups + leg raises OR pull ups + squats. Total time: 25-35 minutes. I marked my current levels on the OP pic.

If I go to the gym would it be faster? I don't want to consume any steroids though.
Feel free to share stories of your progression.

Attached: fit.jpg (2059x1628, 1.28M)

Attached: Paul_Blog6.jpg (600x404, 74K)

Calisthenics is a good place to start but once you get used to your weight you have just two options
- add more sets and reps
- add more resistance (weight) while maintaining your current program.

But where is the point of getting used to? There are master exercises in the book like 1 set of 100 one-arm pull ups. Is that the point?

What exactly is your goal though?

Short term: enlarge my arms and bring my torso from skinny-fat to normal
Long term: this guy's body

Attached: Al-Kavadlo-Thumbs-Up.jpg (1691x1247, 1.55M)

Have you checked the big calisthetnic youtubers and the stuff they do?

>big calisthetnic youtubers
Suggest any?

That asian dude with the many tattoos is pretty good

But you won't look like him by doing just cali. He also does barbel weightlifting stuff just doesn't show it on YouTube

Well. I didnt say otherwise
I'm just saying he has programs and advice

Not even the Kavadlo guys are natural unfortunately. Without gear you can only get "toned" a bit. You need to be really lean in order to look good. This is more of a diet issue though.

Do you do 1 set of 5 full push-ups, next workout 2x10, then 2x20 before you progress to close push-ups?

>push ups + leg raises OR pull ups + squats
You should be doing all of those in one workout, and more. 3-5 sets of each and if you can do more than 10 reps its too easy

Attached: POSTER FINAL-page-001.jpg (601x1600, 312K)

Pure 100% calisthenics is cancer, most of those big body weight youtubers you see do some sort of weight training as well.

>next workout 2x10
No, it's not possible. Add 1-2 reps from workout to workout. When you can perform one strict set of 10 reps, and another set of 5. Continue until you reach 2x20.

And there are countless different variations you can do. But I also say you need a weighted vest, because pistol squats are too easy and you need to add weight

Attached: 20190818_163709.png (1920x1069, 268K)

The point is where you are comfortable to do the exercises. If you don't know your limit you just do say 10 pushups, and try to see if you can do 11, then 12 etc. Where your muscles start to give up, is the limit. So once you get used to that limit, you just add more repetitions to see if you can progress. So you move to 20, 30, 40. The time it takes of course will go up.

If you add weights you kind of speed up the process, but the progression is then based on your weight. So if you can do 10 repetitions with 10kg, you then try 20kg for the same amount of repetitions and move up. The limit should be where the muscles start giving up. It is individual for everyone.

The question then becomes, how far are you willing to go, i.e. what is your goal, because you can over-train yourself, and if you do that, you may do more harm than good. The mirrors are there for you to assess your body. Once you reach your goal, then you are fixed with the numbers and the rest is just to maintain the body, so the exercises may become "boring" because you won't be pushing yourself harder.

But once you can do 10 push ups you can progress to 10 close pushups, 10 uneven pushups, etc.

The end goal of 10 one arm pushups is pretty fucking difficult. The technique is difficult to learn but worth learning. If you are adding weight to that you are a machine.

Well okay, but I was rather asking when I should switch from calisthenics to gym.

If your goal is to have bigger muscles, then gym is for you.

Won't I get more fat tissue as well?

Buy olympic rings, look into Fitness on YouTube and eventually his Body by Rings routine.

Thanks Tom

How do I use these?
>Pure 100% calisthenics is cancer
I disagree. if you are seeking mass it could be, but I practice martial arts and this stuff seems pretty good to accompany

Bump

So... just 5 pushups, and that's it until two days later? Or do it every day? Or a couple sets of each?

Are these good workout of someone who *just* started calisthenics? I've literally started this week and I'm just doing support hold, ring rows and ring pull ups. I'm adding ring dips and knee tuck to invert. It's fucking hard but I'm liking it a lot when I managed to pull through.

The start bodyweight is self explanatory, in the top paragraph. You do one variation from each column

The other pic is a more exhaustive list of bodyweight exercises you could do. You could swap these for the ones in the start bodyweight routine

>just 5 pushups, and that's it until two days later?
Yes. When you can perform 1 set of 10, you'll start doing 2 sets.

and hang them from my 8 foot drop ceiling?

so, you do it by rows until it gets easy and you go for the next row?
I don't know what I'm missing. english is not my first language but this stuff shouldn't be hard to get. how do I make a rountine out of it? can someone put an example please?

Yep. Once you can do 3 sets of 8 reps move onto the next row.

The reason you only do 8 is because 5-12 is the best rep range for strength and hypertrophy. Doing 20+ reps is stamina/endurance training.

Depends on the food intake and the types of food you consume. In general more food means more energy which if you don't exercise will turn into fat because storage. But if you exercise it means more muscle. More muscle you have, the more you can lift.
Stop exercising and the muscles will shrink. But unless you change your diet habits when that happens, you will end up with more fat.
You can also experiment with removing fats from the diet, but this is not recommended if you wish to have bigger muscles.

Scooby

Did you study the blade by any chance?

nope, muay thai.

I’m thinking calisthenics may be a better option for me. I’m tall and skinny. I fast a lot and eat low carb clean diet for health reasons and mental clarity. I’m also busy with school and live in a city without access to a gym conveniently. Thoughts?

The secret is to eat like Michael phelps and do the calisthenics every day. Try doing 3x10 pullups and pushups supersets every day when your stuffing your face with a 800 cal surplus. You will be surprised at how quickly you gain mass, and how little of it will be fat

Attached: hackenschmidt.jpg (720x748, 190K)

Go for it.

FitnessFAQs, Carucyn, Dan Jeong, Dominik Sky, Simonster Strenght, Calisthenic Movement, Calimastic

being a tall lad will inevitably lead you to stagnate sooner in your progressions, so keep that in mind

thanks bros. I think I gotta go to gym eventually

lmao