Martial Arts general

What is the best martial art to get Jow Forums? What is the best martial art to show off? What is the best martial art to defend yourself?

Attached: MMA_12_dark_web800px.jpg (800x800, 452K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0KUXTC8g_pk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match-fixing_in_professional_sumo
youtu.be/LJ17RCPFeRo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

None
Martial arts are gay

muay thai because it sounds the coolest and i do it

Krav Maga, for fitness and self-defense. An expert in Krav Maga can easily destroy anyone else in hand combat.

krav maga is a meme and just for movies.
learn boxing its straight forward and one of the three fundamental martial arts of mma.
You learn proper strikes, footwork, spacing, blocks, doges and you learn to look for openings.
and most importantly you learn how to give and take a punch.

Krav Maga is a two week long self defense course, not a martial art

bait

Pretty solid bait

Muay Thai to all.

How important is cardio/conditioning for BJJ. I'm considering adding some runs in my routine

>Best to get fit
Wrestling, although realistically conditioning is way more important than the sport you choose. An Olympic judoka is going to be more fit than a mediocre wrestler and vice versa. Any high level martial artist is fit.
>Most flashy
Judo. There's a reason they use it so often in John Wick movies, it looks cool.
>Best for self defense
100 meter dash. Followed by a variety of track sports then followed by weapons followed by having a group of friends followed by boxing+judo/bjj+wrestling.

>for fit
anything with a ground game. wrestling is insane for gains and cardio.
>for self defense
if you are serious about defending yourself the only answer is carryagunfu.

>to get fit
Any martial artist at a high level is going to be a freak athelete. But muay thai is probably the hardest cardio I ever did.
>Flashy
Judo and and Tae Kwon Do are the flashiest probably, spinning kicks and throwing dudes is hype. But Judo is actually useful in a fight.
>Self defense
Sprinting and reading a situation early enough to gtfo. But if you need to fight judo and jiu jitsu probably, guys will swing but unless they also grapple they will be helpless on the ground.
>inb4 what if there are multiple dudes
Run or carry a gun, literally your only options at that point.

How long does it take to git gud at judo? I might want to do it alongside BJJ if I have the time or else in a few years. Also, how important is strength or lifting in judo?

this user understands

>t. long time karateka

Attached: 1565743324253.jpg (194x259, 5K)

>best to get fit
Any of them that spar frequently and heavily

>best martial art to show off
Judo, TKD, Aikido, Hapkido, Greco-Roman wrestling lol throwing dudes on their necks is pretty great to watch

>defending yourself
If you're actually sticking around to fight like a dumbass? Boxing, Muay thai, BJJ, wrestling and judo maybe

Once the other guy has a weapon or friends or both your only option is also a weapon or friends or both. Very few people on the planet are able to fight off multiple attackers unarmed successfully

good bait

>to get fit
Well, I have to split this question into two.

Wrestling. With proper diet, nutrition and training plan these motherfuckers grow big, strong and extremely fit. I've been training with +220 lbs wrestler who was able to do backflips like it was nothing.

If you want deadly cardio choose any striking martial art. Boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, muay boran - these should be fine for you.

>best martial art to show off
Tae Kwon Do probably. Spinning kicks, etc.

>best martial art to defend yourself
Well, as anons above mentioned 100m sprint. If you can avoid fight do everything you fucking can to do it. If you can't grab any piece of shit you find around and don't even think about fighting "fair" - it's all about your life and health. But if you really want to train something with the purpose of self-defense go for wrestling & muay thai, or wrestling & kickboxing. I highly discourage to try grappling during a street fight, especially if the person you're fighting against has - or might have - friends around but it's always good to know how to defend a takedown, pass the guard, wake up or throw a motherfucker.

Bump

Any workout recommendations to do on off-days for brazilian jj?

How often do you train bjj and what is your priority? Mastering bjj or having nice body and jiu jitsu is just a fun way to do cardio?

Two times a week. I'm relatively new to it and find myself exhausted after training and sometimes have to sit out a set. I want to get good while getting in good exercise. I'm dyel as shit

judo ain't bad for multiple dudes if you can toss them fast enough, but the odds still aren't good

Obligatory copypasta of objective truth:

God tier:
>boxing
>folk/free

Great tier:
>judo
>sambo
>muay thai
>greco

Niche meme tier:
>aggressive buttscooting (now known as bjj)

Trash tier:
>everything else

Super special double trash tier:
>aikido

If you disagree you have no fucking idea what you are talking about. If your gym/dojo does not full contact spar it is worthless.

Attached: 80HAq17.gif (206x310, 1.99M)

>What is the best martial art to get Jow Forums?
Wrestling. It's insanely physically demanding. Boxing and Muay Thai share second place.
>What is the best martial art to show off?
Tae Kwon Do and other eastern kicking arts look flashy, and Judo/Greco is good for throwing people which looks pretty rad.
>What is the best martial art to defend yourself?
Situational awareness, deescalation, a good 100 meter dash, a gun, any other weapon, and boxing, in that order.

good luck learning sambo anywhere in the world except eastern europe

So I recommend you to stick with jiu jitsu. Let your body be comfortable with bjj first.

After 2 or 3 months you'll know what do you need to improve - cardio or muscle strength/endurance.
If it is mater of cardio do whatever you like - swim, run, cycle, use skipping ropes.
If you need more strength or endurance think about split training. This is exactly what old school wrestler told me when I started my journey with martial arts and actually it worked great for me. I don't remember exact training but I'll try to prepare you a similar one in a minute.

What is muai Thai, striking?

Eight limb striking

yup kickboxing with knees, elbows, clintchwork

I like wrestling and it is good for gains. Running away is the best way to actually defend yourself without getting your ass kicked by him and his mates (martial arts) or overly escalating the situation for no reason (a gun).

So the rules are as follows - avoid fatigue (at least at the beginning) and try to score 3 x 8 - 12 reps.
Day A
1. Pull-ups/chin-ups/inverted rows
2. Squats
3. OHP
4. Dumbell curls
5. Plank
6. Dead hang

Day B
1. Lightweight deadlifts
2. Hamstring curls
3. Face pulls
4. Dips
5. Plank
6. Dead hang

Dead hang is an absolute killer when it comes to grip strength. Later you'll admire it if you stick with bjj. I also recommend trying to use as little strength as possible at the beginning, especially during sparings. Try to focus on proper technique.

Bump

Appreciate this, will try it out. I'm also trying to work on not being tense all the time and just chilling more when the situation allows it. Instructor said it's something amateurs do.

I've been there too, Remember, it's a training, fun way to spend time, everything is okay and you'll be okay, it's not life-and-death situation. Learn to love it and you'll become pretty good in no time. You can do it bro.

Takes longer than BJJ, as standing work is faster and your opponent is much harder to control. Several years. Strength also plays a bigger role as it allows you to more easily control your opponent.

>luta livre image is Dean Lister subing Rudolfo Viera
>both are bjj guys

Very much so. More so than wrestling, even.

That is because the number of techniques that are legal in Judo is significantly smaller than in wrestling or bjj. So it’s pretty much impossible to take someone by surprise. You know what your opponent wants to do, and your opponent knows what you want to do, so 90% of the time the stronger person will win.

52 Blocks

literally just train MMA. MMA has destroyed the point in training a separate style then blending it into different ones. just learn it all from the very beginning, and be good standing or on the ground. if you train a different style it should only be to complement your MMA training, otherwise it's just a hobby, because a wrestler can't outwrestle someone punching them in the face, and a boxer can't punch you in the face if you broke his arm with an armbar. learn it all from the start, save yourself the time.

A question from a complete noob, I looking for an eastern MA focused on arms and punching. From what I've seen it's almost always kicking or throwing or low stances. I'm wondering if there's something like boxing, but eastern?

>So it’s pretty much impossible to take someone by surprise.
The general response to the restrictions in competitive Judo has been significant innovation: there's quite a number of new techniques and variations of old ones that were marginal at best or simply did not exist.

That, and even within the narrow ruleset Judo is so dynamic it's quite easy to surprise someone - not to mention that you can also chain techniques together for surprise effect.

>aikido

Hhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahha

I sometimes rewatch this and laugh
youtube.com/watch?v=0KUXTC8g_pk

Imagine spending years learning something only to realize it's completely wrong.

Thanks guys. I'm just starting out in BJJ but judo also looks really fun. I don't think I can do both to a satisfying degree, because I'm already cutting down on lifting so I can do BJJ 4x a week. Is judo 'worth it' only once a week? Or should I stick to BJJ for now?

Boxing
Tkd/capoeria
Ccw

>Situational awareness, deescalation, a good 100 meter dash, a gun, any other weapon, and boxing, in that order.
the unadulterated truth.

Wrestlers are routinely the most jacked guys I've ever seen. Probably due to the really strong back, regular use of leg drive and strong necks. Most of the Pancrase legends were the usual wrestling + *striking discipline*.

It's apparently hard to get into though. They never want people in their 20s they just direct you to something welcoming (profit making) like BJJ or striking.

While I do agree with that, having CQC ability would be really nice if you're too close to an aggressor to safely run away. If you're actually good you might be able to defeat a gun armed attacker as long as you wait for the right chance; when they're distracted and the gun isn't pointing at you.

Focus on BJJ, but even one Judo class a week will help. BJJ is an excellent playground for testing Judo stuff.

honestly though, if you do aikido past the age of 12 and can't tell it's about as effective as Tai Chi, you deserve it. i dont have a problem with people doing it as a hobby if its something they find fun for whatever reason, but if you legit think it's worth anything for self defense, you clearly have a room temperature IQ.

I have a buddy that does "ninjutsu" with some bullshit mexican "ninja" black belt that fills his head with all kinds of stupid shit and i don't have the heart to tell him his fighting style is stupid and wouldn't ever work. has all the classic bullshitter lines too, "we cant spar because its a combat art....." and shit like that. it's really cringey to watch but atleast he enjoys it i guess.

SUMO BLOATERS WHERE WE AT
i love this sport and not because I'm a weeb.
Love all the tradition and such, they look like literal bloatmaxxed cavemen. There is a lot of hype about it. A lot of technique, speed and strength involved. And it's not boring at all (average match lasts like 20 seconds max)

luta livre and bjj have so much crossover between practitioners as to make it completely meaningless

just stick to BJJ dude and get a wrestler to work with you on takedowns. judo is fun don't get me wrong, but as far as being a holistic martial art it is 100% a fucking meme. the ruleset has become completely pussified, and it's more of a game than even BJJ with it's infamous butt-scooters. The only thing Judo can teach you is takedowns, thats it, and any competent freestyle wrestler will be able to toss judo nerds around like a joke. there's a reason judo has gone the way of the dinosaur in MMA and wrestlers with boxing have taken over.

muay thai, or sanshou. sanshou is pretty close, kicks are allowed but it's boxing gloves, striking, and takedowns, but it can be pretty game-y. muay thai is less gamey but the stance and style is only really suited to fighting other muay thai fighters, the way they hold their hands is not necessarily something you'd want to employ against anyone who isn't specifically playing MT

it's hard to get into because it's extremely competition based, almost nobody just does wrestling for funzies and to stay in shape. it's too hard on the body. also, most wrestlers have been doing it literally their entire lives, starting in elementary school or earlier, so when a coach gets someone who doesn't have that kind of experience, it's basically a lost cause. don't let it discourage you, there are still clubs out there you can get involved in, just don't expect to be any good whatsoever.

sumo is cool but there's so much fixing of fights as to make it completely pointless

Wouldn't say fixing, but the judging and the sumo association needs a change.

This. There is confirmed corruption and intentional losses to not knock someone out of the top tier. It's an unspoken code between wrestlers, and pretty known fixing by the mob.

This guy grapples.

Well there aren't a whole lot of thirty year old wrestlers out there mainly cause wrestling cripples you.

Arms and punching is only a focus when you create a ruleset for competition that either values landing punches more or completely bans grappling and kicking. I don't think that ever happened in the East.

Just learn to box or pick a martial art and make punches more of a focus as part of your style.

Keep in mind, picking a good teacher and being a good fighter will always be better than picking the ideal martial art. I love Muay Thai, but the amount of delusional mediocre fighters I've met because they had a delusional scammer of a teacher is ludicrous. That's another thing to keep in mind, growth in popularity in a martial art also leads to dilution in talent when it comes to instructors. Many are just the guys who could never cut it as competitors and wouldn't cut it as instructors either if there was any kind of control of that.

Good luck.

corruption has literally been confirmed. it was a pretty big deal when it happened

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match-fixing_in_professional_sumo

Who the f- who the fuck do you think you are

Not exactly true, this is common because a lot of trainers don't know how to train properly. Look for Russian wrestlers, not American, they somehow are able to avoid injuries and live long as healthy human beings. Well, healthier than all the time drained and pushed American wrestlers.

russians do steroids, your opinion is irrelevant. also there are more russian wrestlers than americans because past the college age, unless you go to the olympics, you're done wrestling. you can coach if you liked it that much, but as far as competing goes, you're done. Russia has a much more wrestling focused culture insofar as it's a way out of poverty for many more of them than it is americans. they have an incentive to continue wrestling that just isn't there in america. unless you're jordan borroughs, american olympic wrestlers pretty much do it on their own time almost as a hobby because many of them can't afford to make a full living off it.

>he thinks the majority of elite level athletes don't to steroids
user, I hate to break it to you but you are delusional if you actually believe that. EVERYONE is roiding. They have interviews with coaches that talk about how orals get out of athlete systems in 7-10 days so they just stop before drops. That or the shit like Bones Jones happens and there's 0 repercussions and long excuses. Half of them are PRESCRIBED steroids for fucks sake. Serena Williams is on test for "therapeutic reasons". You can't make this shit up.

WADA is a fucking corrupt joke too.

You think so?
I'm 20, did wrestling for 2 years in high school but didn't after that, and was kinda hoping to get back into it.

Yeah I read that article a few minutes ago. I don't know man, I really hope that the 2011 scandal made the sumo association take this into account and made fixing matches not common. I don't know man. Let me have this please.

Also check out mongol wrestling. Pretty cool

Already know I'm going to get shit for this, but fuck it

>Be me 23, part time uni student
>Kickbox for 7 months, spar a little
>Become more paranoid about brain damage, leading to me not wanting to compete
> Feels pointless just hitting a heavy bag, doing mitt work, calisthenics, etc. without being able to use moves in a live situation
>Currently looking into other MA
> BJJ is full of butt scooting, but has a lot of useful submissions
>Judo looks cool, but the ruleset is shite and hard to find in my area
>Uni has club wrestling program, president seemed okay with the fact that I have no experience

I want to learn a martial art that provides some real world application and that I can compete after training, but that won't lead to CTE or other brain deficits later in life, as I already deal with the depression meme

Attached: f613923.png (2518x1024, 200K)

most colleges have wrestling clubs, even community colleges. also, BJJ places will usually do a wrestling night once a week or something. try looking around for that kind of stuff.

if you can't discern the difference between an american athlete ducking USADA/WADA, and Russia actively sponsoring their entire olympic teams doping, you're a fucking retard.

>WADA is a fucking corrupt joke too
It's a cancerous mafia.
You have no idea how much harm they have made to the beautiful sport of weightlifting. No idea.

Do wrestling, since good luck finding it after college

You have a point. But if you think wrestlers in America or any other country aren't roiding you're wrong. I absolutely agree about the culture of wrestling in Eastern countries but it doesn't mean they don't have better training systems which are way less harmful than going for 100% every single time and doing crazy shit too often which is harmful to your body.
A lot of top trainers in MMA world would say now that hardcore oldschool training style isn't the best one. You can't go hard all the time without causing permanent damage to limbs, joints and rest of the body. It is the same with every single sport including boxing, muay thai, bjj, etc.

yeah i'm not saying fuck sumo it's all fixed you can't enjoy it, honestly I think a lot of it was probably overblown in the sense of like, well if i make sure i don't overpoint my opponent, he gets to stay in this level of competition and feed his family. technically, thats a fixed fight. it's just easy to influence people into throwing a fight when losing doesn't involve hardly any bodily damage.

Silly question, but what can I expect physically if I switch from powerlifting style lifting to almost exclusively BJJ and cardio? Will I lose all strength/size gains? I'm 6'3 and I don't want to look too lanky, but I can't afford to focus on both lifting and BJJ atm

Bump

Yup. There are few powerlifters/strongmen who made the transition from lifting to martial arts, just google them and you'll have your answer buddy.

Yeah, you're right and some matches you can see the guy just slipping on purpose. But as you said, doesn't really stop me from enjoying. I don't know why, I still enjoy it, also most matches don't feel fixed at all when you see the guys actually struggling, pushing, twisting, grabbing, lifting. It's just fun to watch and to follow

If your diet is good and you still use your muscles and don't do too much long distance cardio outside of actual martial arts training, you won't lose mass.

never said they weren't roiding. stop putting words in my mouth, and take russias dick out of yours. they do steroids, it's normal there, you can buy them over the counter at a pharmacy, and they understand that wrestling is more likely to be a lifetime job for them. it's nothing magical about the way they train, or their nutrition, it's simply a matter of thats how it is there. americans have opportunities outside of wrestling, and when it's over its over for them. i agree they probably don't go as hard but that has everything to do with their nations culture/standard of living and nothing to do with them figuring out some magical training regiment that is light years ahead of anyone else, because thats simply not true.

they destroyed weightlifting for anyone that isn't fucking iranian, georgian, russian, or north korean thats for sure.

you will lose size, strength in some lifts more than others. hard to say without knowing your stats where you'll be affected most.

boxing, just don't spar. someone may call you a pussy but whatever it's your brain, and if you're not trying to be a pro boxer who cares. sparring may be necessary to be the best fighter possible, but you're not trying to do that, you're just trying to get in shape and learn some skills.

and fucking chinese, cant believe i forgot to mention them.

100% accurate unless you manage to have a freestyle judo place near you. The only reason "real" judo can potentially stay alive.

Unironically Muay Thai if you want to get generally fit.

Cardio is king. youtu.be/LJ17RCPFeRo

Attached: ancient mystic fighting art.png (640x749, 526K)

Why so angry lol? I hate Russia as a country as much as I can but I'm not a fucking snowflake and I know they have top tier wrestlers which are not cripples. But you're wrong. Proper training is everything. I won't argue with you cause you don't try to have a real conversation so there is no point. Nonetheless, there are examples of how proper training drastically improve the health of athletes when they retire.

I wish I could find sambo or sanshou because it's everything I want. Casual clubs are out of the question since I'm out of uni. I just don't want to pay $200 a month for some combat sport where I'll never be good enough to compete. Not at an Olympic level, but at least amateur level.

I also like lifting too much. I would just like some competitive applications of the power I'm building besides just meets and doing the same 3 lifts till the end of time.

The difference is the whistleblower. You're delusional if you think any country invests in athletes who are supposed to bring medals back home but expects them to do it in a fair fashion.

What you're doing right now, is exactly what weightlifting China/Russian dick suckers do. All you see is their longevity and success, and immediately think that in the year of our lord 2019, somehow, they have some super secret, super special,never before seen techniques and training, that somehow magically extends their lifespan in the sport, and boosts their performance far beyond the average westerner.

While completely ignoring the fact that they quite literally have their government sticking needles into their ass on a weekly or bi weekly basis, pumping them up with hormones to the point of being beyond human. you're delusional. no way it's the steroids or cultural factors nope, if only we all wrestled bears like Khabib we wouldn't have creaky joints in our 30's. get real dude.

USADA testing is not a joke. there's a reason MMA fighters and weightlifters get popped all the time. do people juice anyways? sure. but again, if you can't tell the difference between jon jones' picograms of tbol vs lu xaoijuns lifetime blasting of steroids specifically given to him by his government, you're also delusional, and possibly retarded.

When I first started trying different MA’s I took a sambo seminar. It’s close enough to Bjj/judo that you should just take one of those and be ok with it.

just give BJJ a shot man, if you find a good club, you'll like it. I reccommend finding a no-gi club if you're looking for a closer to wrestling experience. no-gi dudes are usually a little more chill than gi clubs, theres usually less of the emphasis on martial arts belts and shit type stuff, they're usually a little cheaper month to month and you save money by not having to buy a gi. just don't sperg out on a different rash guard for every day of the week.

BJJ is also good for dudes who lift in the meantime because while it's demanding, in comparison to wrestling the amount of explosive power required is much much less. BJJ is about being strong and powerful, while being relaxed, and grinding against the opponent. much easier to recover from. As an addendum I would say avoid 10th Planet BJJ, they tend to be a little culty and focus on certain meme techniques like the rubber guard and other EB nonsense that can work but isn't a good foundation. not all of them are like this so don't avoid it on principle, just giving you a heads up.

Dude, I don't say this is the only factor, so now you stop putting words in my mouth. I just say they have a BETTER, not MAGICAL but BETTER training system. That's fucking all.

I don't say they avoid steroids, I know they are fucking roided monsters and I'm aware how it influences their performance. But get that stick out of your butt. Wrestlers are a bad example? Fine. Let's move to boxers. Is it possible to have people training at top tier level with Olympic medals in times, when these trophies in boxing were worth something, without any visible brain damage, fucked up limbs and any other serious injuries at the age of 60? Yes, it is.

Almost every street fight in the world is ended in a few blows on foot, fall to the ground and wrestle for another couple of minutes. Pankration was built on that principal, so all its tactics revolved around ending the fight as quick as possible... eye gouges, groinshots, throat punches, kidney punches, chokeouts, etc. Too bad it was so effective that it straight up killed a lot of people learning it but that would theoretically be the best martial art.

In the modern world, your best bet is a pipebomb.

>they have a better training system thats why they last so long!
>uh, or it's because of steroids
>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE TRAININGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
you're retarded. no more (You)'s for you. you're just like every china cock sucking faggot in olympic weightlifting pretending they know about some secret sauce that we just can't figure out in the west.

We know what the secret sauce is, it's fucking steroids.

this is about as cringey as a krav maga post. don't listen to anything this retard has to say.

Not scared of getting called a pussy, it just feels like I waste my time learning skills that I only use in the gym. Idk

oh yeah, all those MMA fighters and weightlifters that got popped this year sure are barred from competing LMFAO

fuck i just realized 3/10 for the response my dude

>look at OP's image
>look up greco-roman wrestling
>find some stuff like "greco-roman wrestling highlights"
holy fuck my test is through the roof right now, I just wanna find a dyel and toss him

on the thread topic though, I have done BJJ, Jiujutsu, both ITF and WTF Taekwondo and out of those I'd say jiujutsu and ITF Taekwondo were great, the other two not so much.
I miss taekwondo sparring, you have no idea how fun it is to go against someone as good as you when you're extremely flexible and can kick someone in the head from a standstill almost before either of you can react

i flinch like a bitch and ive never been in a fight before? how do I fix this? spoonfeed me wise fighters

Attached: 2milky4me.png (500x500, 27K)

Oh right because the olympic committee and the nevada state athletic commission are the same thing. fucking retard. no more (You)s for you.

Attached: you.png (226x223, 5K)

It's less of a waste of time than Jow Forums is.

>How to overcome a fear of getting hit?
IDK, I've never had that problem. Pretty sure it's mostly mental. If you know it won't hit then it isn't an issue.