Tips For Increasing Mile Run Time?

Attached: E45FBA2A-FF9F-4DF3-8A74-394E609D2798.jpg (728x546, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

researchgate.net/publication/332769237_World-Class_Long-Distance_Running_Performances_Are_Best_Predicted_by_Volume_of_Easy_Runs_and_Deliberate_Practice_of_Short-Interval_and_Tempo_Runs
jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120
ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hill sprints

Try not walk or run anywhere. Invest in a mobility scooter so as to keep yourself from using your legs ever.

Run slower

Attached: 1459390525877.jpg (474x750, 201K)

run faster

I've had a lot of luck with couch to 5k
Even at the basic 3 minute jog 3 minute walk I've made great progress
I took a lot test the other day and did 1.5 miles without feeling like I had to slow down.

I prefer running on a treadmill as it's easier to track and increase progress, my current program is this.

Run 45 sec, break 15 sec x 15. This should be at a fairly high speed. Increase by 0.3 km/h every second week.

Run 2 minutes at 12.5 km/h, 30 sec break x 10. Increase run time by 30 seconds every third week +/-.

10k run at a moderate to high speed. Track your time, try to improve.

Then one session of spinning cycling or swimming to keep your body and legs active, but to save your knees from unnecessary harm.

This works well for me, but maybe not for you OP, but those are my tips. Best of luck.

Attached: 22490159_706463993052046_7927984645486223737_n.jpg (760x793, 74K)

What's your current and goal times, and what's your running background?

Attached: 1566208312686.jpg (419x600, 34K)

Seconding hill sprints/runs, it is gold for increasing your cardiovascular endurance. I used to practice hill sprints back for the 2 mile run in the army and went from a 15:00 to 12:30.

Run faster

Seriously dude just keep running. Don’t sprint but give it your all the whole time. If you’ve got enough reserves in the tank to sprint the last leg, you should have gone faster earlier.

Based. Everyone else in this thread is doing the opposite of what OP wants.

From a previous thread:

Reminder to the "gotta go fast" runners:

researchgate.net/publication/332769237_World-Class_Long-Distance_Running_Performances_Are_Best_Predicted_by_Volume_of_Easy_Runs_and_Deliberate_Practice_of_Short-Interval_and_Tempo_Runs
>total volume of distance run in training was a strong predictor of performance scores; indeed, just the total volume of training itself explained up to 59% of performance score variability
between athletes
>The main training contributor to the total distance run during yhe athlete’s careers was the easy runs, accounting for approximately two-thirds of each 2-year accumulated total. Previous studies on training intensity distribution in elite-standard endurance sports similarly stated that most training is performed at low intensities (28,36).
In other words: volume trumps speed. Focus more on mileage over speed.

Attached: 1520107953829.jpg (2180x1245, 771K)

losing some god damn weight
any form of intervals
eating beets
visualization

Attached: 1453691063152.png (540x491, 161K)

if you didn't puke across the finish line then you didn't give max effort

Back in high school doing easy 5k's one day and then more intense 800 or 400 with rest I got faster. One guy says volume over intensity and I agree but you need to "feel" what your 400m should be so you're able to do it when it counts

Based Boomer telling about 'back in my days' and giving 'you gotta feel it' training advice

Rephrasing this

Day 1 easy 5k
Day 2 4x800m with stride focus on first lap, all out second
Prob rest
Day 3 more long distance
Day 4 3x1600s at like 85%
Day 5 more long distance
Day 6 rest
Day 7 rest

These are just main runs for day, add in warm ups and cool downs and maybe some 40m sprints to get muscles blasting on fast days

You never did 400 splits to "PR" on a mile? You run each like 55 then you did a split up sub 4 min Mile. Sort of more of a psychological thing ie) I know I can to faster so I will

You need to run more miles at a slower, easy pace. If you need to do speed work right away because you can't help yourself then do mile specific track workouts. But seriously, the #1 mistake people make is that they run too fast on their easy days, or don't have any to begin with. Don't listen to these idiots saying HIIT, sprinting, or hill sprints. They all have their place as a specific workout you occasionally do, but not as the main component of your training

Best not to give advice if you have no idea what you're doing.

The mile is 90%-95% aerobic. What that means is mostly slow running in HR zone 1-2 to build your aerobic system. Think of it as the more you "bank" miles over time, the higher aerobic capacity and rfficiency you have. 80% of your running should be there. The other 20% should be speed stuff like tempos and intervals to increase the other variables such as lactate threshold and VO2max. However, I would suggest not doing these unless you have at minimum 20mpw (at best at least 40 minimum).

>but to save your knees from unnecessary harm.
There's almost no actual evidence for this while lots of evidence that running is a protective factor.

jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120
>We did not find an increased prevalence of osteoarthritis among the runners. Our observations suggest, within the limits of our study, that long-duration, high-mileage running need not be associated with premature degenerative joint disease in the lower extremities.

ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short
>a lifetime of long distance running at mileage levels comparable to those of recreational runners today is not associated with premature osteoarthrosis in the joints of the lower extremities

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
>Long-distance running might even have a protective effect against joint degeneration

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
>Long-distance running among healthy older individuals was not associated with accelerated radiographic OA. These data raise the possibility that severe OA may not be more common among runners.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
>The presence of radiographic hip OA and the progression of radiographic knee OA was similar for older runners and nonrunners.

If you do got knee pain, it's most likely a case of you doing too much for your skill level, an inflamed IT Band, or just plain shit form.