General gym questions thread

Hello,

Small questions thread that you can ask and hopefully someone competent can answers your concerns.

Attached: smiling-fit-woman-with-blue-drink_23-2147752588.jpg (626x626, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O8k8iKul8qM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>that face
>those hairy arms

Attached: muslim_sad_by_shia_ali-db1ne08.png (1024x774, 540K)

Sometimes I feel pain and weakness after lifting many heavy things for periods of 30 minutes to an hour. Is this normal? Should I see a doctor if this prolongs for over a day?

Attached: 1565048663468.jpg (1080x1080, 162K)

cute

Mass building.

It used to be and everywhere I look on the internet is recommendations are 8-12 reps for a set and there was a rule that if you can do more than 12 the weight is too low and should upgrade. However while in the gym i noticed that barely anyone does 8 reps, and most people are doing 10+. Did anything changed and now its 10+ standard ?

2. For a set I try to do 10/9/8 reps, but i often fell short on the last one and only do 4-6. How bad is it ? It's an ego thing i'm already weak enough and i'm reluctant to drop these light weights any further.

You're talking about double progression. It is just one of many methods to progress on your lifts. I suggest you read the sticky.
I also suggest you stop giving a fuck what others do in the gym. There is a lot of idiots running amok spouting half truths.
Do what the sticky says and be consistent. You will make it.

>Wonder why you're posting pictures of clothes
>Turn brightness up
Oh my

Attached: Visible Disgust.jpg (480x484, 14K)

i started getting numb legs while pooping and playing games on phone. today on the rower i started to get a numb leg after about 20 mins, i'd been getting numb toes after about 20 mins too for the last couple of months doing cardio on the elliptical.
is there anything diet related, vits and mins, that would make pins & needles/numb legs more likely? it is probably just the angle and my sneakers, but who knows

It doesn't matter much if you're doing 8, 12 reps or anything in between for mass, result should be about the same.

Pick a range, say 8-12 and only increase weight when at least you get 12 reps on one set and none of the others fall under 8.

If you're failing reps on the last set, try longer rest periods and go for an extra rep each workout. Don't go to failure on any set but the last.

Yes, it's somewhat normal. Do you strethc or do some sort of cooldown after lifting? Try do do something to relax your muscles afterwards, it helps with recovery and reduces DOMS, not to mention it helps prevent injury.

I'm wearing insoles because I have a leg length discrepancy of 2.5cm. Because pf that my squat is only 70kg for 5 reps and my one wrist feels really strained while holding the weight in place, I feel imbalanced in general. Is there anything I can do against that? Deadlifts don't cause such problems.

definitely go to a doctor, may be a pinched nerve that can be fixed. dont wait too long because u might damage your body more over time.

Attached: dancin.gif (127x189, 767K)

my neck starts vibrating when doing side raises. Pls help.

Is it better to lift weights or do cardio for weight loss? I’m a 20 year old female and I can see myself getting more toned and fit but I can’t seem to lose weight around my midsection. I’ve cut carbs down to a minimum and literally eat almost no sugar besides what’s already in vegetables and the little bit of fruit I eat. Any suggestions? (I lift 5 times a week AND do cardio for 25-30min each time I go to the gym)

I have a benign cyst above my right scapula right where the "shelf" is that you are supposed to rest the barbell on during highbar squats. I am worried that doing heavier weight will cause damage or the cyst to burst (idk much about that I'm not a doctor). Lowbar squat feels weird and like I am supporting the weight too much in my wrists/arms and if I let go it will simply roll away and fall to the ground. What do?

Diet is the most important part of weight loss. Get serious about tracking everything you eat so you can see how many calories a day you are eating. If you eat less calories then your body needs + burns from exercise you will lose weight

1 month in, 5'6 170lbs
>135lb 5x5 bench press
>80lb 5x5 ohp
>135lb 5x5 squat
>185lb 5x5 DL
Hows my progress? I've only squatted and deadlifted once this month felt like shit after, longest I've gone to the gym was a 3 month streak about 4 years ago.

Attached: 1526081247848.jpg (337x337, 23K)

Go here you stupid fucking tourist

I don’t think you need that high volume of deadlifts.

cardio on the elliptical is known to cause numbness in the lower extremities. I personally experience this, and know two other close friends who report the same thing. Totally common. Stop doing elliptical, and switch to the C2 rower

lift less weight with stricter form. So many people ego-lift the side raises because if they don't have the mental strength to use the correct, lighter weight. Try this variation: youtube.com/watch?v=O8k8iKul8qM

173 cm / 5ft9
63 kgs / 140 pounds

I want to be have visible abs without cutting for 6 months if possible because im a competitive athlete and I need some energy for competitions
TDEE is about 2400-2500
Been lifting for about four months, I'm starting PPL twice a week soon

What do you suggest friends?

Attached: IMG_20190820_182546.jpg (2496x3664, 1.66M)

the other answer was correct that diet is critical, but to answer your specific question, lifting is better than cardio, because lifting increases muscle mass and muscle mass is the single most important variable in metabolism. More muscle mass means higher metabolism without dispute. With more muscle mass you will burn extra calories while sitting, driving, sleeping, walking, at all times.

What are some good plyo exercises for shoulders and traps?

why not go to a doctor and get that cyst lanced or removed? I had a friend who would grow subcutaneous cysts on his upper back, and the one ended up the size of a fucking golf ball, no joke. Sure, it was benign, but by that time, the doctor agreed it had to come out, and be sent for biopsy. Why leave it?

Female here, I keep reading about the pooch fat which is hard to get rid of. While I'm 5 lbs away from my goal weight, I still have that tiny bit of annoying belly fat. I'm doing 0 carb/carnivore diet but do I need to faat and exercise more, or keep doing what I'm doing and it'll fall off? I almost feel like I'm on a plateu. I also read about how fat is harder to lose for women but obviously it's possible just want to know if it's just going slower for me. I work out 5 days out of the week

I have had for about the last 19 years or so. It has never moved or changed size in my life. As such i am very reluctant to have any time of surgery unless absolutely necessary. I believe I can successfully squat correctly without surgery

How much sodium are you getting per day?

Work on your back and chest more first. Abs without those make you look like a emaciated African boy.

How long have you been doing that diet?

Probably 2 months now, I was on keto and decided to do no carb because at that point i also felt a plateu. Now i lost more weight but feel like I'm stuck again

Is it problematic if I can't go to the gym for 7-10 days? Am I going to lose them gainz?

Attached: 543.jpg (960x720, 81K)

So I started by limiting my carbs to 20g a day. It was really a way of getting myself to stop eating sugar. I'm not really sure on when I actually started carnivore because I randomly decided to do what I was doing except cut out carbs completely

Is this QTDDTOT? Whatever. Should I start using wrist wraps? I notice that sometimes my right wrist feels a little funky on heavier bench sets so I'm curious if adding wraps would help brace my wrist or something. Any anons here use them?

Start measuring your waist with a tailor ruler when you wake up and before you go to sleep instead of eyeballing it. The plateau might just be in your head or you may be bloated from food/water/period/etc.

I've been lifting in a 5 day "cycle" and just putting my two rest days in whenever I feel like I need them. Like if I'm off work I'll probably call it a rest day, or after the heavy deadlift day. I never rest for more than 2 days per 5 day cycle though.

is this okay

I was thinking that. My definite worry area is my stomach. I will start that, thank you

I know this is a meme but should I use the squat rack for ohp or clean the barbell up
I don't really have any other options

so the locker room at my gym is set up like an H, with the bathroom/showers on the left, the lockers on the right, and a small passage connecting them.
What's the proper etiquette for taking a shower at the gym? Do I just get naked at my locker, walk all the way through them into the showers, or do I bring my towel/change of clothes with me to the shower?

What's the best price/gram protein supplement? Right now I am using some brand with "Combat" in the name, idk I forgot, but the tub was kinda small and I was looking on Amazon and I saw some listings that came in a dog food esque bag, so surely it must be cheaper in bulk, right? But it was only half as protein dense as the one I am using right now, so not very cost effective.

Chad nude stroll vs virgin cover up

Yes precisely, so what do I do?

Surgery.

Lifted for the first time ever yesterday (SS), I've got mad DOMS from the squats, if it's still really prevalent tomorrow am I still good for squats with additional weight?

Felt nothing from bench and deadlift, just squats.

Does pic related prevent strength and mass loss? I need something as I wont have any access to any exercise equipment other than the floor and walls for a month

Attached: 1566131471494.jpg (1163x1600, 697K)

If it were me I would do the virgin cover up with a towel and leave it in a place where it wouldn't get wet, you do you I guess

I've just started to take my workout seriously for the last 2 months and I'm starting to eat to bulk while doing progressive loads and some calisthenics. Noticing more gains in those 2 months than a full year of casual gym. Overall, it's just decent progress although I'm still a definite wristlet and I have weak forearms. I'm doing a chest/lower body - back/legs and shoulder/arms 3 day per week routine while adding body weight training to each of those session.

Don't know how wrong or right that is but anyone has advice on what I should do to increase my arms? Also should I include shakes and creatine? What's the pacing that I should be increasing weights? I increased Squats/Deadlift weight by 10kgs and I'm sore as shit. Feels I have miles to go.

Sorry for the blog.

Shit, I forgot to mention my sleep pattern's been complete shit lately. Been through a bad breakup at the beginning of the year and while the stress is pretty much completely gone, the lack of sleep fucking stuck. How much is that going to fuck my progress?

I don't know what the routine given in SS is, but you should be good on doing legs every other day.
Take at least two days rest for back/chest/arms/shoulders though.

Are you saying you work out three times a week or do that split three times a week?
If it's the former, I would add a rest day at the end, then repeat.
Day 1: a
Day 2: b
Day 3: c
Day 4: rest
etc

If it's the later, you should give yourself some time to rest. Sounds like you're overloading yourself. Especially if your sleep isn't good.

As far as your pacing, just keep adding more weight once your form is good and you feel comfortable. If it is too heavy, take some off and keep going.

It's the former, so I can give some decent of rest between repetitions. I usually do a rest day between each workout. Am I spreading myself too thin?

The sleeping problem is fucked. I used to sleep like a homeless person anywhere. Now I'm having a bunch of problems sleeping on my bed. Even starting to take melatonin and chamomile and shit.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.