Has anyone bought/read a copy of this? It's pretty cheap and I've been hearing people talk about it lately...

Has anyone bought/read a copy of this? It's pretty cheap and I've been hearing people talk about it lately. Any Jow Forumsizens can provide feedback? Is there actually good info in here or is it mostly just selling entry-level info to people who aren't actually going to get fit?

Attached: 514d6FmGJvL.jpg (357x500, 47K)

You can probably find a pdf somewhere, or you can just read the sticky and get all of the info he says there for free.

You're probably right. Seems like what it's doing is laying out a PPL routine for beginners, kind of like how SS lays out a beginner's strength routine. Does that sound about right?

rippetoe had the guy on his podcast recently

Nope, its a bodypart split. His diet advice is fine though, pretty good actually.

Ah, okay. Some summaries I saw also talking about him doing a PPL split, but I guess he has that as an alternative for people who can only do 3 days for whatever reason.

Yeah I noticed his name showing up a lot when researching this book. In fact, he shows up as the first quote on the book's Amazon page, with Hafthor as the second. I guess they must be associates. Makes sense. Rip handles newbie strength lifters, and Michael is there for newbie hypertrophy lifters.

I've read it, pretty good for novice lifters looking to just get in shape. Most anons on Jow Forums won't like it because the routines are not autistically min-maxed to make you either massive like Schwarzenegger or as strong as Halfthor, but for normies, it's pretty good stuff. He does shill his supplements in the book, but he at least has the courtesy to do it at the very end, and his supplements aren't even that bad. His pre-workout is the cleanest ranked on labdoor, so take that for what it's worth. Only thing I wish he detailed more in the book was cardio, but he makes a point that it's not strictly necessary to look in-shape and he has another book for it that's like $2.

Overall 8.5/10, I wish I had the book when I started lifting. It's got some minor issues but nothing that will impact normies just trying to be less out of shape, but offers very little for competitive lifters/bodybuilders.

Also, this is the author, make if him what you will. I'm sure someone here will dismiss him for not having traps that reach his ears.

Attached: Mike Matthews.jpg (480x360, 22K)

Yeah, I decided to go ahead and pick it up. The kindly version was like $8 and they give you back $6 in credit towards other Kindle books, so worst case scenario I'm only out $2 net. I took a look through his workout plans on the 3, 4, and 5 day routines. They seem pretty simple to follow and gets you in and out pretty quick, which seems to be the approach he's trying to go for.

I've been lifting in earnest since November, and figure any good extra input I can use as far as programming goes is worth the couple bucks. I might be in a situation soon where I don't get as much time for the gym as I have lately, so input on how I can still get an effective routine if I only have an hour or two would be good.

Right now I'm doing a PHUL, which I really like, but I'm in the gym for minimum like 2 hours, and noticeably more than that on my power days in particular. Plus I've been doing that shit since like February so trying something new couldn't hurt.

The main thing I'm wondering about is if you can also get good strength gains on this if you're wanting to get a bit of both. It seems like that's still possible, at least while still in the rookie year phase, but I'll have to keep reading. I'm very aware this is primarily a book for aesthetics, of course, so I'm not expecting this to get me ready for my first powerlifting meet or anything like that.

sticky is outdated and half of the links don't work

Attached: 1563956886722m.jpg (898x1024, 145K)

Yeah, this book would be for you then. As a beginner, if your gym time takes more than 60-75 minutes (not counting getting stalled by other gym members) you're doing more than necessary.

You will definitely get stronger by virtue of lifting weights and eating the right amount of food, but you're right to not be expecting to compete in a powerlifting meet with this book's routines. It's not like you will gain no strength at all, you just won't be strict pressing 2pl8 any time soon. Definitely stronger than your average dough-elemental that waddles the streets. The book even tells you to do Starting Strength if you decide to pursue strength later on.

I started with SS then went to the PHUL so I could keep some strength gains while easing into something aesthetic. I suppose this would be a natural next step.

Right now, while I don't know my true 1RM's, I know I can OHP 1pl8 for a couple reps, I 4x5 bench at around 205, so I can probably 1-rep 2pl8, I do the same rep scheme for squats at 255, and my 5 rep max on diddle is 330. So I know I'm already stronger than most normies, and you think with this I can still hit the full 1/2/3/4 by the end of the year based on where I'm at now? That's my only specific strength goal right now. Otherwise I'm working on getting my bf% down to at least 15% or below by 2020. I'm at 18% right now at 206lbs of bodyweight, down from 26% at 235 back when I started out.

I also checked out his sample meal plans, and his cutting pretty strict, eh? It seems like he's going for a 1000 calorie deficit for a guy my size. But I guess his idea is to get you REALLY shredded, huh?

Attached: My My My.jpg (652x580, 92K)

I read it. It's okay... all the information is solid. It's just very basic.

Good book for a fat soccer mom who knows absolutely nothing about exercise or nutrition and has a lot of biases/myths in their mind that need to be expelled.

I personally would say you probably would not hit those numbers with the routines in the book by the end of the year if you are cutting, especially if you ran out your novice linear progression with SS.

I'd say pick a focus. You can maintain or bulk a little for the upcoming fall/winter and keep pushing your strength gains until you hit 20% bodyfat, then cut at 500 deficiet, or cut now and pursue strength with proper focus once you get to where you're comfortable fat-wise.

Yeah, 1000 is pretty harsh, I'd personally cut slower if I had the time, but if you don't then that may be something to consider.

Attached: 02456534.gif (460x260, 834K)

Honestly, I don't think I maxed out my SS before I switched. It is possible I switched a bit too early, about 4 months, when I know other people milk that for as much as 6 months.

I do think you might be right that my focus should be more on the bodyfat than the strength right now. The bulking/cutting cycle is one that's been rearing its ugly head at me. I've actually been on a deficit for a very long time, since I used to be 300 lbs, and got so used to being at a deficit. Probably why my lifts have been stalling, honestly. I could start eating more and keep pushing. But honestly, I'm 32, I got a lower back injury, and my rotator cuff isn't super happy with me. Maybe taking a break from the heavy strength stuff for a while would be a good idea.

Can anyone link me the pdf

It contains good basic information that you can find for free on the internet but in a nice single package.

its a good intro to how to aproach a diet. how to bulk how to cut, and such. i still use alot of the info out of the book like how to warmup for your lifts. that said i dont like the program that he recs in the book (for beginners atleast) you only squat, bench and dead once a week. as beginner i found it really hard to get the form down doing it only once a week.

I agree. First, congrats on that weight loss. Second, losing weight and focusing on physical therapy for your joints will probably do you some good in the long run in conjunction with some weight lifting like in the BLS book, then come back to full strength training and get those goals with a proper bulk diet. Don't worry about being 32, you're still young enough to make good strength gains and then some. When you're like 45 then start bemoaning.

It's like $8 on amazon, get a fucking job.

>First, congrats on that weight loss.
Thanks, man. Honestly, making the first step to changing my diet (and adding a yoga routine in after a month or two) was the hardest part of the whole process. Everything since was just an evolution of that. I wish I went to the resistance training earlier, but oh well.

As for the age thing, I know I'm still young. But it means there was a lot of time I wasted, and while I missed the age where it would have been easiest to get that muscle and recovery, I still have plenty of time. But I gotta also make sure I don't destroy my body while I do it, since my recovery isn't at all my all-time peak. Plus years of being obese haven't helped. Although it did give me a head start on having juicy calves.

Besides, I can consider this an experiment. I've seen what I can do running a purely strength routine, then a mixed routine, so let's see how my body responds to a aesthetic routine. I wouldn't call it "bodybuilding" just because I don't think it's meant to make you wicked huge, but definitely a LOT better looking.

>It's like $8 on amazon, get a fucking job.

And they give you $6 back in Kindle credit and the audiobook comes with it free. Although personally I wouldn't use an audiobook for something like that, since I'd rather have the images and charts in front of me.

Heck yeah man, experiment and see what happens, learn from it. Nothing is a waste if you gain wisdom from it. Also, I know those calf gain feels. I've got hilariously muscular calves from being 270 lbs for a long time.

I think it'll be a valuable experience.

I want to also be a PT, so having experience with different training methodologies on myself would be valuable for working with clients who have different goals and start at different places. As you surely know from experience, your body acts WAY differently at 270 lbs than it does at 200 or less, not to mention at different bf%, and I think a lot of trainers who were always in good shape could never quite understand how it feels first-hand.

And yeah, those calf gain mires from being a recovering fatty can be pretty satisfying, especially when coming from people who are otherwise in way better shape than you but just can't grow those fucking things to save their life.

Attached: Never Give Up!!.webm (640x480, 2.56M)

Oh god yes, I remember I had to widen my stance way more than normal to do rows and deadlifts because my big belly got in the way. I never forget that and when I become PT I will never forget that for my larger clients.

That's a really good example. I lost a lot of the weight before I started resistance training, so I didn't have to go through position adjustment (although I absolutely understand it), but I remember how my belly used to affect my balance when I was doing yoga. The worst, though, was when it came to my ankles. I walk everywhere because I live in a major city with no car, and while that probably helped me from becoming a complete blob just because I was still moving around, my fucking ankles would get so sore. Thankfully I don't think I have any permanent damage from it, because I naturally have a pretty strong skeleton, but I know a lot of people won't be that lucky.

Same for me with cardio, running was agony and I hate bikes, so I ended up doing heavy bag for cardio. Probably couldn't beat anyone in the ring, but it gets my heart rate up and that's all I need.

Running can go fuck itself. I can deal with the bikes, and will spend a bit of time going intense on them after a workout if I don't have legs the next day, but I definitely also prefer boxing as a form of cardio. I wager a lot of guys would have a similar preference. It's just more fun to throw those hands than to sit your ass on a bike and pedal, even if you're going hard. And running is the worst ever, I don't ever want to run if I don't have to. I live in an area where a lot of people run, especially since there's a pretty body of water nearby where people love to run, but whenever someone says "Hey user, we should go for a run", I just respond with pic related.

Attached: W7.png (847x1200, 956K)

> Rippetoe has a podcast
Hahahaha

Kek. Alright, I'm going to bed. Good night dude and good luck!

Thanks. I just realized most of this thread has just been us two talking, but hey, whatever. That's the benefit of late-night channing. I'll probably give this routine a shot starting Friday, which is when I consider my lifting "week" to start, and see how I like it. I'll have to figure out what I want to do with the diet aspect, though. Have a good one.

>Has anyone bought/read
People here barely even read the stick and that's free, what the fuck makes you think they would read let alone pay for a real book?