What's your verdict Jow Forums?

I'm planning on using Stronglifts while on a bulk (3300kcals). Would Stronglifts be ideal?

Attached: download (21).jpg (168x299, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101065094-5-3-1-for-a-beginner
youtube.com/watch?v=zBBYOc7M02o
smolovjr.com/smolov-squat-routine/
mythicalstrength.blogspot.com/2018/10/deep-water-beginner-program-review.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why would you do SL?

This dude just made a thread asking this question dipshit.

no shit I'm asking why he was thinking of doing it dumbfuck

Seems like a good program to me. The app is handy.

HE DOESN'T KNIOW BRO, THATS WHY THIS THREAD WAS MADE

>he doesn't know what hes doing
>asks about specific program
he obviously has a reason to ask about THIS SPECIFIC PROGRAM

Well I'm bulking right? So I figure I might as well try and build strength before I cut. If I'm honest I just want to get a little bigger.

I'm currently at 176lbs, I'm hoping to get to 198lbs user.

Attached: Screenshot_20190822-005423_Samsung Notes.jpg (1026x1467, 768K)

SL is for people who have never touched a barbell before in their life. What is your training experience level?

Thats a serious amount of weight to gain. How long are you commited to your bulking diet? A weight gain that dramatic should be about 20 weeks long or about 1 lb per week. Too much too fast is just useless fat and more work to cut. You won't be stronger or more muscular gaining weight faster.

I'm gonna help you out bro. Learn from my mistake. DON'T.

OK, maybe do it for 2 months MAX to get a little strength so when you do volume you aren't pathetic. 500 over tdee is WAY TO MUCH for strength training. You build almost no muscle on strength routines (low rep/volume), so that shit is 90% FAT.

Or just skip that shit and go ham on volume out the gate, because that is by far the most important training factor for building muscle.

10-24 overloading sets per muscle group, every week.

Attached: 1313172872918.jpg (400x311, 74K)

SL is fine, OP. I've been using it for about 2 months now. I didn't really take bulking very seriously until I started struggling with the weights, though, as the whole point is progressive overload.

I've used a Smith Machine, 30kg on squats and like 20lbs barbells and stuff. I was using machines before (I know...)

What should I do user? Pic related.

Attached: 20190816_230917.jpg (4032x3024, 1M)

N

A

It's a decent beginner's program. I like it more than starting strength. If you want aesthetics you will want to add some curls and tricep isolation movements and raises for your shoulers. Whether that's enough to bulk depends on you.

T

Thanks user. I'm going to do it till Christmas then.

>
Or just skip that shit and go ham on volume out the gate, because that is by far the most important training factor for building muscle.

10-24 overloading sets per muscle group, every week.

I'm a little confused here? Care to elaborate?

T

First. I'd recommend education. The best way to train is the way that works for you. Cookie cutter programs will only get you so far. I highly recommend reading The Scientific Principles of Strength Training by Chad Wesley Smith.. There are free pdfs everywhere. Also 531 by Jim Wendler. These are good places to START. But you should always have the student mentality.

Second. I'd classify you as a beginner. No offense meant. But as you have used a barbell before I would recommend 531 for beginners. Why? 531 for beginners follows the scientific principles of strength training with both submaximal effort work, progressive overload, and auto-regulation. Working up to an amrap every day and doing back off sets is far superior to just adding weight every workout. 531 beginner has a more robust plan for accessory work. 531 beginner can also be done on an app. its called Personal Training Coach on IOS store. The program is also written here jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101065094-5-3-1-for-a-beginner .

Third. Consider the amount of time you want to workout. At first I recommend doing the program as written but there is no reason why you can't spread the workout over more days. If you want to go 6 days a week then do it. If you want to do it 4 days then do that. But do it as written first and adjust you lifestyle and programming accordingly.

Not OP but do you mean nSuns 531 or wendlers 531?

wendler 531

do not do nsuns 531

Don't listen to this guy. 5/3/1 is a complete meme and it's highly inefficient for a beginner, even the beginner version. Just so SS or SL

Do the 4 phases of ss user
Sl is kinda shit

N

You're an idiot

I

G

H

Went 100kg-->150kg squat when I did it a while back.

OP make sure you're also on SS+GOMAD and do squats at least 3x a week

T

No, you are. 5/3/1 only works with beginners, and that's because everything works with beginners, except it's extremely suboptimal. I mean Wendler himself never even ran 5/3/1. It's just something he pulled out of his ass because it was catchy and made for a good brand, and when people complained that 5/3/1 didn't work he had to plug the symptoms without actually fixing the problem by adding a bunch of shit like joker sets in 5/3/1 forever and beyond

I'd like to thank you brothers. I'm going to do StrongLifts for maybe month or two, then I'm going to attempt the Wendler 531.

>what is linear periodization
Imagine being so fucking dumb that you think Jim Wendler invented linear periodization and that nobody has used linear periodization to break records.

>5/3/1 didn't work he had to plug the symptoms without actually fixing the problem

you mean giving options to people to modify their program to make it work better for their specific needs? How fucking dumb you must be.

>Imagine being so fucking dumb that you think Jim Wendler invented linear periodization and that nobody has used linear periodization to break records.
Linear progression is much more suitable for a beginner. No need to be advancing so slowly when you can advance workout to workout
>you mean giving options to people to modify their program to make it work better for their specific needs?
Which is unnecessary for a beginner

What would you suggest then user?

Starting Strength

>Linear progression is much more suitable for a beginner. No need to be advancing so slowly when you can advance workout to workout
Not at all. linear progression is only for people who have never set foot into a gym. There is literally no reason to do linear progression over an autoregulated linear periodization. How in the world do they progress slowly?? The training stimulus hits a higher intensity and a higher weekly volume. You progress workout to workout on amraps which is way more intelligent than just adding weight to a bar.
There is much less burnout and a consistent progressive overload.

>Which is unnecessary for a beginner
so then don't do joker sets???

>linear progression is only for people who have never set foot into a gym.
Not true. Linear progression is the fastest way you can progress. It's for anyone who can still progress linearly
>so then don't do joker sets???
The only thing someone who can progress linearly needs is their working sets

are you this retarded in your real life too?

Do Grey Skulls LP. There are variants of it on the Personal Coach app as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=zBBYOc7M02o

Israetel knows what he is talking about. Learn as much as you can from him.

I don't recommend doing SL but if youre hell bent on doing it then go for it but you gains are at risk.

What then?

I’m on the fourth week of SS with a 400-500 cal surplus. I’ve also added a couple exercises for biceps and triceps after each day, and run twice a week. So far I’m enjoying it. I’ve gained a lot of strength and mass as well as belly fat, but nothing aesthetically noticeable

Not that user, but... Is this true? I've been lifting for 2 years, but have not strength at all. Was 63 Kg weight, 74 Kg right now, shit fat body %. Routines have consisted on brosplits mostly

at beginning of summer I was in similar position. Same height and started at 170, now have bulked to 195 since May. I did a dumbass bro split for a lil while before switching to SL and the progress has been bretty gud. Just make sure to eat a lot n drink ur milk n you'll be good.

get on juggernaut method and ignore anything Jow Forums tells you to do

Tell me more user. Please...

Attached: Screenshot_20190820-220132_Samsung Notes.jpg (994x1617, 359K)

why would you bulk just starting out? why not wait until you stall which i doubt you have

Yeah it's fine for a beginner, just do yourself a favor and read the author's instructions for it. Eventually you'll be doing 3x5 and 3x3 for your lifts before you finish, you don't do 5x5 forever.

Unless you want to be a powerlifter or a high school football player why the fuck would you ever do a "strong lifts" program?

>bulking on 3300
ask me how I know you're a twink

Attached: vidrig10.jpg (249x354, 53K)

sl worked for me, hit 1/2/3/4 with sl.
it is not that bad

G

If you're a novice lifter; you'll easily see 20 lbs. of mass gained at the end of 3 - 6 months. Considering that you're already fairly heavy; you'll see greater gains in strength, also, not simply hypertrophy.

>500 over tdee is WAY TO MUCH for strength training

based. 500 and above is for hypertrophy only. You need that much fuel for high intensity, high volume hypertrophy routines. a beginner can do a strength routine on a cut

Only if overweight, although that's pretty self-explanetory. If he's new to lifting he should just focus on getting a good workout in, eat n sleep well and keep doing it for half a year to see some progress. After that he can just figure out some new fitnessgoals.

>Doing a strength routine on a cut
I've actually done this, and it was terrible; I don't recommend it

How did you look at the end of it

just do 5/3/1

SS or greyskull are better from my experience

I lost over 20kg this year while doing SL and improving every lift.

I did SL until I could do 1.5/2.5/4/4.5

Do it until you reach your goals then read as much as possible and make your own routine to suit your goals.

Smolov seems to be a best routine if you want to improve your squat and bench.

smolovjr.com/smolov-squat-routine/

>Jon Andersen's "Deep Water Method"

mythicalstrength.blogspot.com/2018/10/deep-water-beginner-program-review.html

Attached: THIS.png (618x298, 2K)