/MAG/ - Martial Arts General

>Gonna cry? Gonna piss your pants maybe? Maybe shit and cum? edition

old thread

Attached: hqdefault[1].jpg (480x360, 26K)

Kickboxing again today, I'm shit but it's fun as hell!
How long approx. until I'm ok at it? 6 months, a year?

Took me 3 months

Nice, how often did you train per week? And did you do something at home?

I boxed last summer, but I got very weak wrists and they'd start hurting pretty badly after each session.
Anything I can do for wrist health besides getting thicker gloves? (had 10oz which was probably too thin for a beginner)

wirst wraps help, apart from that some wrist stuff like wrist curls, wrist rollers, wrist balls (maybe a meme, dunno) and probably push ups on your fists.
I'm sure there's other stuff you could do too

When I started kickboxing sparring I couldn't stop getting urges to drive the double leg. Just wanted to follow up my straights with my whole body and take the other guy down. I talked to one of the guys there to try MMA, and it was so effortless to take him down, I think I demoralized the whole group. Its so good I can't make myself just stand and throw punches anymore, I'm thirsty for a grab of his tights and to lay on him.

Thanks, I'm already doing calisthenics in addition to regular lifting routine to get em stronger
Shit genes can't be helped tho

>Shit genes can't be helped tho
I know that feel, got slim, weak wrists...

WRISTLETS RISE UP

Deciding between taking up BJJ and mauy Thai. Which is better for self defense and why?

I guess BJJ is better against a single guy (although going on the ground on the street can be quite dangerous) and the danger of heavily injuring him is far smaller.
Against 2+ opponents you're better off with MT or even better just running away.

>Risking permanently injuring the body you spent years building to perfection because you think fighting is fun
Nah.

enjoy getting btfo by some scrawny manlet with MA experience because you're too pussy to train a combat sport

How many times do you boys do bjj and weights/cardio?
Does Bjj interfere? I've been doing it for a year now and it sometimes throws me off my rhythm hard
>rolling
>take down we roll around end up on my back
>dude really wants a kimura is cranking my shoulder as i go for a sweep
>transition a few times round is over
>next day wake up at 6 for push session
>can barely strict press my shoulder twinges with pain whenever close to a 45 degree angle
cut my workout in half, wondering how you lads cope

Attached: Screenshot_20190920-091853_Facebook.jpg (1080x2220, 636K)

I'm a tall orthodox lanklet. 6'1", 170 lbs. Tonight I sparred a 5'10" ~150 lbs southpaw and got fucking rekt. He would come in with heavy hands and smother my own punches and kicks, and none of my kicks seemed to land cleanly at all because of that weird fucking angle. I tried to beat him to the outside but he was faster than me there too. His whole game was to spam punches, get me to cover up, and then blast kicks. We weren't sparring with knees or elbows because that's an injury risk. I know I could get him with knees if it was full thai rules, but I can't.

What the fuck am I supposed to do? I always struggle with southpaws, even those who aren't as "good" as me. The angle keeps throwing me off, and I can't just keep throwing crosses and rear kicks because I get predictable.

Get a gun and a concealed carry permit if you're concerned about self defense.

Pick the martial art or sport you are interested in.

Boxerfag here. It's tough to spar against shorter guys because you have to make them fear your jab, which is difficult in sparring without actually hurting them.

What you can do is smother him instead. Every time it looks like he's going to throw something, smack him. It doesn't have to be hard. If he follows up anyway, step in with a hook and then back out with more jabs.

>tall lanklet
>6'1"

Attached: 1548077186941.jpg (480x640, 12K)

>training = competing

This is just pathetic logic. You get some of the greatest workouts from training to fight. Sparring is one of the best ways to gain cardio and “functional” strength. You are just a coward and too afraid to admit it. It’s simple to work out and look good, it’s also simple to train your body and mind to defend itself if it’s ever required.

As if lifting heavy things isn't risky, and gym injuries are rare.

Typically how expensive are BJJ gyms? These fucking Jews in my area won't tell me.
Worst of all is that it's a contract too.

You can keep him at range with a teep and try to get some good kick on his lead leg to slow em down. You can also always spar using knee pads and elbow pads if you have them. But generally if you have the flexibility you can catch them with a head kick while exiting the clinch as long as they don’t just man handle you there.

Also do you use enough lateral movement? Cuz a lot of the time people who push forward with a lot of strikes will head hunt and tend to have a harder time if you I’ve side to side more.

Wouldn't I be at a disadvantage if I smother him? He still has hooks and uppercuts when I'm real close. Thai rules would let me clinch and throw elbows and knees, but that's not the case.

I do try to use lateral movement, but he beats me to the outside. I don't want to move to my right because I'll eat a left cross or kick from him clean. Teeps work and I have strikes that I throw off teeps or feints, but they can be baited and countered.

I mean smother him with jabs. I don't know how effective that is in MT.

i also had wrist pain and i think thats because of bad punching form, as i started to keep my knuckles aligned with my forearm i had no issues anymore

Attached: 1568298539934.png (1264x3672, 495K)

If he’s beating you to the outside you just need to work on your footwork more. You can work his lead leg or teep to the body to gas him out sooner but there’s not much you can do if they are just better at fighting than you. Other than just practice where you are weak. it sounds like you really only need better footwork. It also could be your timing.

How many different people have you sparred before?

Thanks man, I'll see if that's the problem

I do have a CCW but I want to Get better at fighting as well. Besides Most of the time when someone charges you you don’t have time to draw before they’re on top of you and you’re not able to draw without the risk of losing control of the weapon. You need to be able to buy yourself enough space to safely draw.
Look up up the 21ft rule. If you someone with a knife charges you and you decide to spend those moments fumbling to unholster and fire your weapon you’re dead. Your only chance is to forget about the gun and focus on either controlling the attacker or getting space until you’re able to safely draw.

Hulk Hogan brother

Attached: 5ACF458A-4A48-43C0-A998-37A7AE9B6AD6.png (752x1319, 1.1M)

Ok, so if someone 21ft away pulls a knife and starts charging you the gun won't help but.... martial arts will? Sounds like you need more chicken in your diet boy.

Yes the martial arts will increase your chances of controlling the knife or fighting off the attacker long enough to draw and shoot accurately.

Wanna go to boxing gym for first time - besides skipping rope, what else should I learn on my own before?

Nothing, because you're going to go tomorrow. The amount of people that say "I plan on learning a bit beforehand" are talking out their ass and have no intention have actually learning the sport.

Go sign up tomorrow
>b-but i got no money
9/10 Boxing gyms will offer a free trial period. If money is an issue, go in, learn as MUCH as you can, finish the trial then LEARN on your own while you start saving for a membership. Don't be a faggot user.

This.

Not that effective. Your lead kick has a longer range than any punch, and you lean back a little bit too. A 3 inch different in height isn't enough to offset that, but if I was sparring someone who was 5'6" or something it would work.

It's the relentless pressure or southpaw stance that fucks with me. This guy has both, so I'm at a loss on what to do. I don't mean to say I'm good or anything but technically speaking, I'm better than him. It's just that the constant pressure and punch spamming keeps me covered up, and I can't get comfortable at all. I like to fight at long range using my straight punches, kicks, and teeps. I'm uncomfortable with brawling or the close range game.

I've sparred a variety of people. Probably more than 15 different guys. The guys who are around my height don't pressure fight, and I'm often partnered up with them so that's what I'm most comfortable with. It's the shorter guys who understandably try to stick on me.

>Yes the martial arts will increase your chances of controlling the knife or fighting off the attacker long enough to draw and shoot accurately.

dude, just stop
no martial arts expert can beat a motivated knife wielding dyel skinny manlet thug without dying in the process without quick medical assistance

a guy carrying a knife has the chance of neutralizing a gun carrying target even at a distance of 10 feet without even being shot once, most knife attacks don't happen with the knowledge of the victim when they're already in 1-2 feet in distance, you can't even react fast enough to that sort of attack at that distance in order to do anything, it's just impossible unless you can read minds and plan on advance, and even then you can't compete with the speed of a knife wielding motivated attacker who can just cut your fucking hands and harms off and then your throat in 2 seconds tops on an adrenaline rush

martial arts are cope and the only thing that can realistically help you in a street fight besides running away is a gun or at least a knife, both work well at keeping people off you or simply eliminating them

It’s 21ft not 10ft probably more since the study was done by trained law enforcement.

And obviously getting rushed by knife wielding maniac isn’t a desirable situation and you will most likely get cut. I said that an experienced martial artist will have an INCREASED CHANCE at fighting the attacker off long enough to get draw and get a decent shot off compared to the guy who drops his hands and puts his focus on trying to draw before he gets stabbed(he won’t.)
Unarmed people have taken down armed attackers in the streets. It’s unlikely but it happens.

Writing off martial arts because you carry is a cope for weak, untrained, DYELS

You're genuinely retarded. We're writing off martial arts for purposes of self defense.

Martial arts as a hobby are great. You're the exact type of fag who gives the hobby a cringey name.

>Learning how to fight doesn’t make you better at fighting

Ok retard

>Been boxing for a year now
>still haven't had a fight yet
>slowly losing motivation cause I'm just not seeing the point aanymore if I can't show off everything I've learnt
What do I do, do I talk to my coach about this?

Attached: 1568962760475.jpg (480x312, 16K)

>Writing off martial arts because you carry is a cope for weak, untrained, DYELS

How is it a cope if it's true?
A dyel untrained weak manlet subhuman will destroy you in less than 5 seconds and leave you to to your death without you being able to do a damn thing about it.
the best thing for self defense is your sprint, getting ripped and carrying a knife or a gun, everything else is cope and a waste of time.
That's not cope that's accepting reality

Did you even read the post retard? If someone decides to shoot/stab you you’re dead no matter what you’re armed with. There are situations in which a gun will save you in a self defense situation and there are situations where hand to hand combat will save you. It’s a cope to write off martial arts as a non factor because you can’t accept that your glock doesn’t make you invincible.

> There are situations in which a gun will save you in a self defense situation and there are situations where hand to hand combat will save you.
literally no advantage being unarmed, are you completely delusional and retarded?
just the prospect that someone is armed with a gun or knife is enough to avoid any potential conflict, there is no advantage in being unarmed even if you don't get to use your weapon, merely showing it is enough to kill all potential motivation from any attacker.
modern martial arts are cope and either based on sport frameworks or recreational tradition not actual real life street scenario effectiveness.
That and most martial artists aren't even muscular or fast compared to other types of athletes .like sprinters, a sprinter with a knife is 10000x more deadly than any MMA professional fighter unarmed.
> If someone decides to shoot/stab you you’re dead no matter what you’re armed with
just as probably as if someone decides to shoot or stab you without previous notice that you're dead no matter how many years of experiencei n fighting you have which leads to obviously money and time investment and not to mention injury risk during training, all for nothing.
Guess which is worse.

BJJ.
If someone is in punching range you can run away. If someone grabs you you need to know grappling.

>still hasn’t read the post

When the fuck did I say being unarmed was advantageous? The original post was about the 21ft rule and how against a charging attacker you cannot draw and fire your weapon before they are on you. That means even if you are armed you can’t utilize the weapon until you’ve gained the space to do so with unarmed combat. I also never said a martial artist had an advantage against an armed attacker just a better chance of coming out on top(and it has and does happen)

Anything else I have to spell out for your stupid ass? Don’t worry I’ll hold your hand and explain more basic concepts to you.

This sort of thinking is more dangerous than being completely untrained. DON'T FIGHT PEOPLE WITH KNIVES.

Wearing a seat belt will keep you safe in the event of a car crash

>This sort of thinking is more dangerous than not having seat belts. DON'T GET INTO CAR ACCIDENTS

no shit you shouldn’t take on people with knives or fight in general. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to increase your odds of survival in the event you have no choice but to engage.

I'm gonna start kickboxing tuesday. Any tips ? What should I expect ? Also, i'm going with a friend, so after how many trainings can we start beating each other ?

you can start beating each other now if you want. Youll just look like untrained SOIBOIS fighting. Record it and train for a year and rewatch yourself and enjoy the cringe.

False confidence will decrease your odds of survival. Choosing to fight instead of run is a mistake. It's why krav maga and shit like that is dangerous, people think they've trained for a situation but they haven't.
If there's 21 feet between you don't train a martial art, train sprints. If you're stuck in a super narrow alley or something where there's no space to run then you fucked up a long time ago.

>false confidence is dangerous

No shit

I’m not gonna sit here and come up with a bunch of different scenarios where you would have to engage with an attacker but an example would be when you’re walking with your wife and small children and don’t want to use your superior sprinting ability to sprint away and leave them to fend for themselves. As I’ve said in almost every post, it is not a good idea to engage if you can avoid it. Looking foreword to repeating all of this again since you dense motherfuckers need things explained to you over and over again.

imagine actually making the argument that martial arts are useless for self-defense purposes and you should only carry a knife and/or a gun while literally every single military force in the world trains hand to hand combat

I've been training kimuras and kimura transitions exclusively three times a week for the last three months, so I've had to work around what you're talking about.
You need to eat more and make sure you're doing a ton a stretching and strengthening exercises for your shoulders. I spend 20 minutes a day stretching my shoulder in every way I can and when I have an upper body day, I do lateral raises, front delt raises, and face pulls for 50 reps each total.
It helps a lot if you're dealing with a lot of kimuras, arm bars, and americanas

It's literally just a cope for people who don't train. There is literally no downside to supplementing your fitness with martial arts training.

Where do you live?
In the southwestern US, the standard for a BJJ only gym seems to be right around $130 a month, and $180 a month for an all inclusive MMA gym.

control distance, get around him and be fast

Lose the ego and tap to spastic retards who treat rolling like the ADCC championships. If some dipshit is willing to injure you for a tap during training, give him the tap and then don't train with him anymore. I tap to neck cranks, kimuras, armbars, and omoplatas extremely quickly because the injury is not worth sticking it out for the sake of preserving your ego.

Any protips for avoiding scraping the skin below my knuckles when working the heavy bag? I use 16 oz gloves and wrap my hands nice and tight but I think I sweat too much so my hand starts to slip inside the glove. Should I use vaseline or talcum powder?

start running

you suck dude, thats why your coach hasent matched you yet. you need to step it up

You absolutely can draw before they get to you. Have you ever done the experiment yourself? It's not a universal rule that every being on this earth must follow. If you're a better shooter, you draw, shoot, move and retain control of the situation and distance better.

I'd try vaseline or lotion if your hands are dry, but you might just have shitty gloves

happens to most people when they start boxing before the calluses start forming/hands harden up. how long have you been boxing?

Does ringworm always look like a ring? I'm wondering if it's just eczema, cause I sometimes get that and the "spots" aren't exact circles.

redpill me on training twice a day

almost 2 months, 3 times a week. Its only on my right hand.

Hey lads, needed a tip.
I've been powerlifting for about 7 years, got pretty strong and competed quite successfully, the problem is that I've grown more and more tired of it (mainly because of injuries that keep setting me back).
I was thinking of picking up some kind of martial art to have something to keep competing in, not aiming to be world champ ofc, just need something to satisfy my competitive side or I'd get bored quickly. I dont want to get my nose smashed in or keep dealing with repeated injuries and idgaf about being able to kick ass in a street fight, just want some comfy, athletic sport I can compete in. Was thingken about judo, since there's a really good team in my city, there's also a kinda crappy bjj gym. Those 2 are what caught my eye atm, but I'm open to other ideas.
Btw I did taekwondo for about 6 years before lifting, got my black belt then got a bit fed up

Just started kickboxing, been like 3 times but i fucked up my 2nd smalest toe on the right foot so been out for 2 weeks, it feels like the others will excel past me manyfolds in this time, reeeeeeee. And i dont know what time i should gove it to heal

Should i just stay home and watch yt videos on techniche, and in this case, is there certain good ones above others?

do judo you hmong

answer me n*gg*rs

What makes you say the BJJ gym is crappy? I'd say try a free class/week at both to see what feels best

I’ve done similar drills and it convinced me to carry with one in the chamber and that in an event like that my priority needs to be stopping the initial attack not on drawing the weapon immediately. Its a rule of thumb that is obviously affected by different factors but the point is that There’s an amount of distance an attacker can cover before you will be able to draw and fire accurately. Btw in your drills were you ready and expecting the attack? Had you already practiced your draw a few times? Was it a holster you would normally concealed carry with? Was your shot placement such that it would immediately put down a charging attacker? Creating distance is always preferred but isn’t always possible.

Your gun does not make you invincible and if you want to be as prepared as you can be proficiency in hand to hand combat is necessary.

Attached: 4D20ka4J.png (1386x570, 303K)

It's quite new, super small and I know a couple dudes who go there and theyre absolute retards

What do you mean? Do you mean weights in the morning and martial arts in the evening? Cause I do that.

Judo, use the power of your squats to get mighty hip throws.

training the martial art twice a day for most of the week, in addition to lifting 2 or 3 times a week

Guys...I dont like going to my martial arts gym anymore. I hate sparring and partner drills. My fundamentals are solid and i feel like i'm wasting time.
What is the quickest way I can get in the ring and just start fighting? Be it boxing or mma.

Attached: 1519681723681.png (190x159, 9K)

you don't stop training because you start fighting, if anything it's the opposite. if you don't like going to the gym anymore then just find another hobby.

No clue man, Ive never done something like that.

Do you mean you haven't fought yet? How long have you been training?

I started doing BJJ recently and it's a lot of fun, but between that and a busy job, I don't have much time for lifting. Should I just train whenever I can or will lifting without regularity be bad for BJJ? How beneficial is lifting for BJJ actually?

Find a guy out on the street and just start punching him

boxing is the only martial art

been hitting a lot of triangles lately. Does it mean I have long legs?

How about a lifetime? I've been doing martial arts about 5 years now (3x week in the dojo), still learn something new every session.

>ecause you carry is a cope for weak, untrained, DYELS

My sensi always says if someone has an edged weapon you escape first if you can... but if you can't you finish it with one move. Most folks who attack you with a knife probably don't know how to use it, so you have a good chance of not dying and with my training (especially against an untrained opponent) I'd say I have a 99% chance of permanently crippling and completely incapacitating you in a matter of 2 seconds.

>dojo
lmao fag

>dojo
>sensi (sic)
>with my training (especially against an untrained opponent) I'd say I have a 99% chance of permanently crippling and completely incapacitating you in a matter of 2 seconds
for some reason I'm almost completely certain you do some bullshido and have never actually sparred in your life

It won't unless you train a martial art that uses knives

Just sign up for a local show when you're ready, than invite your coach over to either make him proud or extremely disapoint him

If its multiple guys, go with boxing and MT so you can heem them. BJJ will get you curbstomped

muay thai

It's hell if you spar hard for both sessions. You adjust and learn faster tho

Going to Thailand for 2 weeks, should I train Muay Thai while I’m there because it’s fucking Thailand or train no go wrestling cuz it’s what I like and there isn’t any in my local area...
T. Judoka

Attached: A2A0CC5B-A0A6-486E-B7B2-B9A7F03E518F.png (600x399, 306K)

Boxing and MT will get you curb stomped by anyone 20 pounds heavier than you. BJJ, wrestling or judo will give you an actual techniques to defend yourself and you will be even able to decide how much damage you want to do.

It’s probably not as beneficial as it is for other forms of grappling. BJJ is rather anti-athletic. Yes, I do BJJ

Bros why the fuck do my BJJ classes have women in them? Am I seriously expected to learn this shit while I have my legs wrapped around some roastie?