Bench pressing = great punching power?

does the bench press increase punching power? I know the chest isn't involved with punching very much... but wouldn't the tricep strength associated with a big bench increase a punch's power? or maybe a big ohp would be a better indicator. also core strength and leg strength could also come into play?

Attached: boxer-punch_2048272i.jpg (620x620, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fRQr5SvQuOU
youtu.be/DKQ4Wj-FGiM?t=436
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lower body strength is more important

why? seems so counterintuitive

You actually just need to train explosive punches and cardio for this. Benching makes them stronger tho

Attached: d5b6fa33ef1ac90c2386df100541f00d.png (720x720, 546K)

Most of your power is coming from hip rotation and planted feet. Think about the difference between doing a strict OHP and using a shitload of leg drive. It’s night and day.

This. Same problem here with the shot put in Highland Games. Before I startet I bench like 300 lbs but my shot put was absurdly bad, because i just want to "press" the stone with my arm und chest and didn't use my hips and legs.

It's about technique, leverage and speed. Some lanky dudes like Tommy Hearns look weak but punched like cruiserweight

say someone had a 315 bench and a shit squat and dead... and someone else had a 275 bench and a 4 plate squat and 5 plate deadlift. who do you think would punch harder? or just win a fight?

do you ever see pro boxers punching from a standstill?
most of your power is going to come from your rear leg driving you forward
think about it as if you were throwing a ball, it's gonna travel much faster if you drive with your legs rather than just throwing with your arm

it's all about technique and balance rather than pure retard strength, if they're both unbalanced and uncoordinated they'd both be very unimpressive

they say you have to train the posterior chain to punch better/harder. Throwing a punch is nothing like benching, you hardly feel your chest push outwards.
Power comes from the hips. But more importantly, to punch harder, you have to punch a lot.
Training the movement a lot will allow you to incorporate more muscle fibers into you punch. Like any other sport, Practice makes perfect.
Punching Power is like running speed: you either have it or don't.

Punching a bag over and over until you master proper form is how you increase your punching power

Good squat, OHP and weighted pull up strength values are much more important. OHP for shoulder strength & endurance to keep your arms up throughout the fight, squat for the footwork and weighted pull ups for the upper back strength to keep good posture. How hard you hit is much more a matter of genetics and mass than strength though anyways

Attached: 1D4DBA86-4684-4529-AC41-9F20D319221A.jpg (2253x1600, 1.2M)

training punches increases punching power. you can’t really do anything specific in the gym, just do a regular strength routine plus a decent amount of power work (the quick lifts plus speed work for your regular compounds at about 50% 1RM), fill out your weight class as much as you can, and do a shitload of heavy bag drills

The first time I did mitts with my coach he was unimpressed with my punches even though I was punching as hard as I can and my triceps are developed from strength training. He then showed me how to "snap" your punches and boi did that bitch hurt. Imagine punching like a snapping yoyo than just pushing your knuckles towards them. It requires a VERY stable lower body position to generate force and twist hips. Also, a jab is more powerful if you put your lead foot to it.

Work on your squats and deadlifts, punching power is mostly technique.

There are core muscles which people neglect the shit out of, particularly the serratus and obliques, which are pretty important in properly transferring force from the lower body into a punch. Those are probably the weakest link for most lifters in terms of the muscles needed for generating punching power.

You need to start boxing and do abs, legs and kettle bells to developed punching power. If you are a lifter you'll probably just be a big stiff idiot though

It will but mainly because you can squeeze the muscles harder at the point of impact. It's gonna make your punches more concussive. But lower body strength is still more important. Basically: boxing + barbell strength training = nigger killing machine.

Lifting doesn't make you stiff. You can be strong as fuck and have good mobility.
youtu.be/fRQr5SvQuOU

Life's not about how hard of a hit you can give... it's about how many you can take, and still keep moving forward

Attached: repost.jpg (1900x1500, 740K)

op here. I am very impressed with all your responses. thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it

Cool dance video. I like fortnite too

Yeah that’s true as well, crunches and other ab shit is always good. Especially exercises for ab endurance are good

2true

GNAH GNAH GHNAH GHNAN NGHHANN GNAN GNAH GNAH GHNAH GNAH GNAH GNAH GNAH GNAH GANH

Attached: gnah.png (593x613, 475K)

Don't talk like that about Terrence ever again

>that pic
Yeah, I've been doing wrist curls too and I hardly feel much from them. Have a same problem with calves, no calf machine in my gym.

What's the best oblique exercise?

turkish get ups

I'm a boxer of about 3 years. bench is okay but what is better is doing as many push ups as you can as explosive as you can, you often see people with a barbell doing an upward punching motion, doing that as fast as you can is good. and also, pad work and heavy bag. practice punching as fast as you possible can as long as you can. not non stop punching, combinations for as many rounds as you can. learn how to use your body to create torque and speed.

You can do explosive bench presses with light weights.
youtu.be/DKQ4Wj-FGiM?t=436

Sure, but people who just lift don't have good mobility just cause they don't train it, same as how marathoners don't have good strength cause they don't lift.

there's a reason triceps are called the boxers muscle mongoloid

>there's a reason triceps are called the boxers muscle

>there's a reason serratus are called the boxers muscle
Fixed that for you

High bench =/= good punching ability

Attached: 20190923_102919.png (2726x1362, 2.23M)