Attached: file.png (288x450, 183K)

just read whatever you find interesting and entertaining
>inb4 hurhur greeks, reading for enetrainment is wrong, etc etc

Fuck off

No not this

Goddamn pretensious lit-fags putting everyone off of reading with this

This. The illiad is GOAT

Yea this

"om you must read these 100 old books to get it at first. Start with that if you want to be a snob like me"

Attached: images (6).jpg (183x276, 8K)

find a field you're intersted in. im reading "James Clear - Atomic Habits" right now. and make a habit of reading 10 pages a day no matter what you feel like. in a month thats 300 pages for a small investment

>filling your mind with other people's thoughts makes you intelligent

Attached: 1569023738363.png (581x525, 55K)

youtube.com/watch?v=zYPhXA2zHCU

>the human mind exists in a void
don't pretend your laziness is a virtue

Attached: 1512448958612.png (951x451, 133K)

a little more than halfway into pic related, can't say I'm enjoying it as much as I thought I would have. I especially hate Cathy Ames who must be the most poorly written character I've ever seen. I just can't take her seriously or believe that a human being like her could ever exist. she is evil to a cartoonish degree, and she's far too emotionally invested in her evil for me to see her as a detached sociopath. the way her behaviors and mental states are described are just so over-the-top.

aside from that, I don't find the "normal" characters all that interesting either. I'm finding myself just now getting to the "Cain and Abel" part of the story (the rivalry and jealousy between Adam's sons) and I'm not really emotionally invested in any of the characters, and it seems as if I never will be if it hasn't happened yet. I just don't care about what happens to any of them, not even Lee. maybe I'm in for a huge surprise in the last 200 pages, but I doubt it.

Attached: 20190923_182319.jpg (864x864, 316K)

Fair point

I stayed on lit long enough to realize, over there it ISNT a meme. They really think you have to "start with" like 50 various ancient books to "get where we are"

Steinbeck is commie propaganda

>incelcore
sorry sweaty but this is a chad board

Everyone else is answering incorrectly, you said "how" not "what".

I read when doing my cardio on a cycling machine. Do your cardio 3 times a week, 30 minutes or so, and while it'll feel like slow progress you'll read multiple books every year. I hope that helps you as much as it's helped me, user.

sure, Grapes of Wrath might be. but East of Eden isn't really, it's basically all a biblical allegory.

These books are fairly accessible and high quality. Don't feel obligated to read anything that doesn't keep you interested, though

Attached: 1365475090228.jpg (747x1417, 418K)

Start reading Atlas Shrugged because it's on that /lit/ meme image and I've heard things about it
>DUDE CAPITALISM IS GOOD LMAO
>FUCK LOOTERS
I'm gonna finish this shit because I'm halfway through it, but this isn't what I expected

Attached: 1539135538558.jpg (458x456, 22K)

In Dubious Battle is the big one. It's actually a great book t-b-h, just seriously pro-communism

there is merit to apprising yourself of western canon. but no it is absolutely not essential and people that pretend it is are usually having a lark

those books are more valuable if you're studying history than if you're studying literature

>read on a cycling machine
Fucking how, unless you listen to audiobooks?

Audiobooks are superior in every concievable way to paper books

These are my favorite books:

>A Conflict of Visions - Thomas Sowell
>The Vision of the Anointed - Thomas Sowell
>How An Economy Grows & Why it Crashes - Peter Schiff
>Why Nations Fail - dont remember authors names
>How to Win Friends & Influence People - Dale Carnegie
>Titans of History - dont remember his name either. This is the perfect book for reading on the toilet. 2-3 page chapters about different historical persons

Dont fall for the whole "omg you must start with this list of 1000 super old books that are important to philosophy". a lot of snob cunts (especially on /lit/) will push that shit on you, and it usually just makes people want to read even less

Read about shit you find interesting. You might get that i like economics since most of the stuff i read is about that kind of stuff, but the last few i mentioned arent about that

Attached: 1566520566096.jpg (1080x1270, 151K)

the machines that you lie back for

Attached: file.png (260x271, 74K)

Legitimate good read, Hitler is relatable, first half is a breeze.

Attached: F0C05224-93DF-46BA-AC77-5B97180DB31D.jpg (1242x1888, 894K)

Hitler fucked more jew than anybody else

[spoiler]allegedly[/spoiler]

you remember things better with visual aid, which is what words on the page are. you are also able to go at your own preferred pace. audiobooks are only better when they're the only option, such as driving

Not a bad list
Catcher in the rye is actual dog shit though.

>I just can't take her seriously
>evil to a cartoonish degree
>Steinbeck is commie propaganda
it's pottery

Attached: Dl9xCdmX0AAinJu.jpg_large.jpg (1114x550, 123K)

Dubs checked

That’s how I felt about The Fountainhead, expected more than some weird Cuck fantasy.
The characters don’t really develop in Rands novels.

Based.

Uh, what? I never had any trouble remembering audiobooks, and i go through them at 10x the pace

>if I just read some Nietzsche I'll become a much better person!
We grew out of it

Start with short stories and essays.
Ray Bradbury is a good place to start.

Attached: 613E321D-84EF-4C40-9A67-B6F7A54F0ED8.jpg (640x642, 33K)

Growing out of it is the point.

Reads like a list of what most people read in high school. Read all of these in 9th-12th in Canada, what's wrong with you Americans?

pls be joking
>start of western literature
>shouldn’t be read first

this is actually a good book. a bit dangerous though as once you realize it makes a lot of sense, well then...

Keep reading, the relationship of the sons is the core of the story. Steinbeck is a very "literary" author, which comes off a bit much in characters like Cathy. She's supposed to be pure evil. You don't have to be invested in characters themselves because they mostly exist to serve the novel's themes.
The only book I've ever regretted reading all the way though. The third act is unbearable.

its legit retarded i dont get it how anyone can take that book serious

If you want to enjoy reading, start with some adventurous shit. I normally read history books for fun, but I got a hold of every single Indiana Jones novel, and I read all 14 of them in about 2 weeks, I just couldn't put them down.

You should probably learn the letters and the sounds they make first. Then try learning the smaller words, no more than three or four letters long. Every week add a new batch of longer words to learn and at the end of every week try to read The Very Hungry Caterpillar. You'll make huge noob gains quick. After you hit a plateau you'll have to switch to an intermediate program.

If you cant read you have to start somewhere user

t. phony

>Keep reading, the relationship of the sons is the core of the story.
yeah, I intend to. I don't usually give up on a book unless it's really terrible, and I enjoy Steinbeck's prose for the most part and that's enough to keep me going.

Hahahaha he posted it again! user is unstoppable

All of Dostoyevsky's great works are mandatory reading for anyone serious about intellectual development, but this one in particular is the most relevant in today's age of nihilism, liberalism, and hedonism/materialism. Dostoyevsky was a profit.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (220x339, 18K)

>Lolita
>accessible
Maybe if you have a dictionary handy and don't mind stopping every paragraph to look up words. Not knocking the book, it's beautifully written. But definitely advanced reading.

that's like saying to listen to gregorian chants to get into music

kek

I hold the book in my hands. Sure the book moves around a little but you get used to it, no music while I read so people can sometimes distract.

Nope, just a seat like a bike, no back.

>Nope, just a seat like a bike, no back.
your gym doesn't have the lie back backs? those are cozy as fuck for CardioxReading . I should probably just buy one for home

What about /fitsci/ tho?
>tfw no Chad humanities bf to bully my STEM prostate

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Houseki no Kuni - 02 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_02.35_[2018.07.15_00.23.15].png (397x581, 300K)

A profit???

Start with the greeks, but don't fucking start with the illiad, jesus christ

What's older than the Illiad?

Being the oldest doesn't really justify reading it first, lots of texts don't have many prerequisites
Start with Plato or Socrates and work your way up then assuming you've established a good vocaboluary you can start going into more niche texts and classics like the illiad

Meditations

zoomer here. diversity politics have invaded the public school system. they removed a ton of white authors from the rooster in favor of minority authors. of the ones on that list I only read Mockingbird, Catcher, Great Gatsby, and maybe Huck Finn.

This is genuinely a good comment. Reading is ok, beneficial in some cases, but you shouldn't read a lot. Read a few book, meaningful works.

>but you shouldn't read a lot.
lol

The Homeric poems underpin most of ancient Greek culture. You can't understand the Greeks, either their literary works or their history, without understanding the Iliad and Odyssey.

Says the guy on fucking Jow Forums

Attached: 91bEEcoCD3L.jpg (1400x1960, 583K)

Based libertarian

Why do you think this is wrong?
Would you like a quote that supports this from someone who has written books?

Attached: Arthur-Schopenhauer-1.png (4094x2149, 64K)

4chanlit.fandom.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading/sub

get over yourself

Living in your pathetic "mind" rent fucking free

Here's a quote for you, retard. Only on Jow Forums of all fucking places would someone advocate for not reading "too much."

Attached: file.png (605x372, 137K)

Every single thought that has ever entered your head is unoriginal. The most you can hope to do is fill your head with as many thoughts as possible and retain a combination of them that is unique to you.

actually tho, if you're looking to get into classical it's a good place to start

Attached: 1567537226001.jpg (596x557, 55K)

Read this:
Keep coping you ignorant slave cu ckold dogs.
I will knock you and your family the fuck out.

Based

Implying it being from a show makes it something nazis didn't do

>has no argument
>resorts to name-calling
you might be able to formulate your ideas more clearly if you read more

So I could follow the same braindead cu ck path you follow, and come online and tell people to spend their time with their head in tons of shitty books?

Logos is rising, folks. It’s time to strengthen body and mind

Attached: 896390E4-5C90-48BD-9DDF-5FB84DE98F39.jpg (138x197, 27K)

Said it before: Don't pretend your laziness is a virtue.

If you wanna start with the Greeks, start here. The bronze age perv does a great job summing it all up.

Attached: 1 [email protected] (1625x1219, 289K)

Never forgot, currently working through meditations for the 4th time and some of Jungs works.

>Don't want to waste time aimlessly pushing around a rock
>wow man, you're so lazy, don't pretend your laziness is a virtue

For someone who reads so much, it seems you've never learned about efficiency, and you know, using your energy on meaningful things?
Why spend your days reading countless books?
I'm not saying you can't read any. I'm just saying you should minimize it to what is meaningful, spending your time efficiently.

NGMI
Based.

Gilgamesh
The Vedas

Asimov 's short stories are GOAT
P.K.Dick and Vonneguy are also based

diary of a wimpy kid, reading the entire series brought back so many memories and helped me get my motivation back for the gym

Attached: images - 2019-09-24T132024.570.jpg (341x500, 34K)

this quote is exactly why reading is based

Imagine having Einstein or Feynman think for you for an hour before bed.
Imagine turning your brain over to Hemingway instead of binge-watching youtube
Imagine mind-melding with Socrates (via Aristotle) on a lunch break

I've read 16/20

user, I hate to break it to you, there is nothing new under the sun. That means everything your ideas friend.

10/10 bait. top notch sir

>Take longer to finish
>Require electricity

Hyperbole is not your friend, user.

With this.

Attached: 870ABDF7-FBDB-43F8-8FD9-6F8E7DFB048F.jpg (1604x2048, 626K)

Nice goalpost, maybe don't move it.
The argument wasn't that you should read every book. The argument was that it's foolish to see the act of reading as "filling your head with someone else's ideas," since while you read you fill your head with your own interpretation of the other's ideas.
Obviously there are books out there that aren't worth reading. But it's not because reading them will taint your mind somehow.

I want to read pic related but i have to read a bunch of other shit for school

Attached: The Anarchy.png (229x349, 171K)

>Lolita

I knew (((Epstein))) wasn't dead.

Didnt read this post
You were already mogged
Quit replying