Is Jow Forums all zoomers now or does anyone remember using a 56k modem to log on the internet?

Is Jow Forums all zoomers now or does anyone remember using a 56k modem to log on the internet?

Attached: giphy.gif (500x302, 666K)

Other urls found in this thread:

homestarrunner.com/main7.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i will never forget the old times

homestarrunner.com/main7.html

Shit dude, I'm 20 and I grew up with that.
My family's internet connection was too slow for 144p videos before 2013.

I remember that, yes.

Yeah, I'm fucking old. That was a dark age. I envy the kids today, man.

I remember never paying for AOL. Best service ever.

collecting the 100 hours free disk from AOL was the best.

>ywn come home after school go into the family room with the computer and play stickdeath games again
>ywn be 11 again looking up Gundam X & G Gundam pictures because you thought they were sequels to Gundam Wing.
>ywn print anime tiddy in secret to fap to later because mom was home

>ywn be in 2004 again playing pokemon ruby and trying to figure out the braille puzzles by looking up braille online with your mother so you can catch the legendary trio

>ywn play Junkbot with your dad again

yes because im 32
zoomers dont know about punters

that's not normal. you might live in a third world country or rural poor area.

it was such a long time ago I don't remember the details. I was in elementary when we had dial-up. A bad thunderstorm killed my mom's computer, and after that we upgraded to DSL

I mean I live in Eastern Germany
We ain't exactly rich, but we were doing great in comparison to our neighbors.

>MOM STOP PICKING UP THE FUCKING PHONE

Attached: pickup-the-phone.jpg (340x353, 16K)

Im 29, born in 90, and I remember the dial up sound very vaguely. My dad is/was an old school nerd who had been dicking around with personal computers since the 70s. He got us broadband internet through @home (first commercially available broadband provider in our area) in 1997. It was pretty cool playing quake with 40 ping while everyone else had 200+ .

Attached: @home_logo.png (202x49, 8K)

My uncle was the oldschool computer nerd. He hooked us up with a Packard Bell PC with a really early version of Windows and MS DOS. I played Wolfenstein 3d non-stop.

I was about to make a thread to ask about this: does anyone here still use dial-up? I imagine the modern internet with all of its bloat would make it nigh unusable. I'm going to become a poorfag wagie in the near future and I just want fast enough Internet to comfortably use imageboards.

pic unrelated

Attached: 1562471300498.png (587x756, 387K)

nope it's fucking unusable, used a simulator to see how shit it is

how is anyone nostalgic for dial-up? it's actual hell

fuck off zoomer show me your external 2400 baud on your c64

AOL pretty much invented tranny posts back in 95 with their advertising catch-phrase "you've got (male) !"

we used to call them chicks with dicks, shemales, or m/fs

"hi r u m/f???" = yes.
"no r u m or f?" = yes, i can be both.

Attached: yiffyyum.jpg (500x370, 61K)

>Im 29, born in 90
holy fuck how old am i?
"born in 90" rofl you little preschooler

Shit, man, somewhere in storage I still have a hilarious dead-tree-pulp magazine article to the general effect that 2400 baud was probably the fastest we'd ever be able to push data down a phone line. I kept it just because even then I figured it was probably bullshit. I gotta find it and scan it one of these days.

Hah. 56K. Luxury.

So glad I was a teen before social media took over the net and made it shit

>2400 baud was probably the fastest we'd ever be able to push data down a phone line
it is, higher speeds use different modulation techniques and compression. technically speaking it's one of those 2400, 9000, 12000 i can't remember which that using ordinary digital (switched phase, etc) modulation techniques you can't get any higher bandwidth due to the limits of the available bandwidth in frequency.

I'm 25 and my family had dial up until I was in high school because we lived in a rural area and wireless providers didn't reach us until 2009 or so.

Does anyone remember waiting for everyone to go to sleep so you could jerk off to skinemax?

>Junkbot
Oh, the feels. Thank you for reminding me, user. Bless you.

this was my Jow Forums before Jow Forums

Attached: aim_chat_directory.jpg (619x452, 56K)

97 here, i started with adsl model, i still use ADSL but i have fiber available now, pity my dad renewed the old deal, now i have to wait until 2020 for it, it's not that bad though 30 mbs d 5 mbs up, and very stable ping could be worse

only slightly worse than the icq login sound

i remember dial up but i had it when i was 8 in 2003

I remember hating the internet because it was slow garbage, I'd rather play with that faggot clippy from microsoft word.

>Shit dude, I'm 20 and I grew up with that.

you actually didn't

I had a computer when I was 7 or 8 but no access to the internet for obvious parental reasons. But I remember collecting a bunch of those AOL CDs that were littered all over stores. Then I would go home and play around trying to get online (but never could).

I remember skipping class to play DOOM 2 in my elementary school computer lab.

i'm 23 and i remember using this connection on 2005

Fuck off gramps you should have had a life by now

>ywn be in 2004 again getting made fun of by your teacher because you found the braille puzzles, didn't know what they were called but knew they were a "secret code", and went around copying all of the bumps under the signs around school so you could "crack the code" after you finished your work early instead of reading "Eragon" or "Eldest" for the millionth time.

>edit images on my bedroom computer in Paint Shop Pro
>save one onto floppy disk
>insert floppy disk into internet computer in the living room
>save image to 40 MB hard drive
>return floppy to bedroom computer
>repeat until out of new edits
>write out messages to friends in txt file
>connect to internet
>send messages while images upload
>use kitchen timer so i don't accidentally go over my allotted minutes
>sign off

>when you talk to someone with pink text who may or may not be a real girl
>heart leaps from your chest every time
Man, those were the days. I was like 8 and just spending way too much time in these chat rooms.

Huh. Fascinating. Got a link on that? I'd love to read up on it. Still, if you're talking in more general terms just about how fast you can physically shove data down a telephone line, it did not in fact hold up.

Damn, now I've really got to go find and dig up that article. I can't remember any of the details, but maybe they'll prove more interesting than just the humor value.