Reading anything good right now, Jow Forums?

Reading anything good right now, Jow Forums?

Attached: 6745674574.jpg (400x795, 35K)

The Swarm - Frank Schätzing.

Pretty good

Hmm, never heard of it. Is it something modern?

either or

It's from 2004, so yeah, kinda modern.

Basically, stuff happens in the ocean and wild sea creatures start to behave weirdly all across the globe and something's not right.
It's a thriller and all things considered light reading.

Do you mean the one by Kierkegaard? Read a little bit of his works and found his views on religion very interesting.

A hero of our time by Lermontov.

end your life

Not too fond of thrillers, but it sounds intriguing. Thanks for the advice!

Reading anime subs is still reading, right?

MODS

Sure thing. Next up on my list is "roadside picnic".
Before that I read Solaris by Stanislaw Lem, which I found really interesting. I really need to define my tastes in literature more. I also should get into the classics. As of right now my tastes are all over the place. I have read a lot of Jack Kerouac and Hunter S Thompson in the past two years

I just started Reading Alexsandr Sholzetsyns Gulag Archipelago. I've heard that Russian high schoolers apparently have read it.

I'm reading an English version. wew lad is it ever a dense book.

:\
Chill.
I'm 20, but have a poor memory.
And it's a good book with an interesting setting, so, yeah.

I'm reading 2 books right now

the last Warrior Cats (aka Warriors) (aka La Guerre des Clans in French). I started this series as a child and I guess I'll never get bored of it x)

And also a sociology book about hiking by David Le Breton

And after this I'll read Metro 2035 (I bought it a while ago but I never read it :c also I'll need to re-read 2033 and 2034 before)

What about you OP ?

If you like that kind of books, you can also try "Kolyma Tales" by Varlam Sharlamov. Easier to read, but describes everyday Gulag life in vivid details.

Yeah, I was thinking about rereading it too. Had it in my school programme, but that was years ago. Maybe it's time to refresh my memory.
Sounds interesting. I am finishing Lawrence's biography and have also started reading the Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. I have read most of his stuff, but yesterday an user on Jow Forums recommended me this one, so decided to give it a try. Surprisingly, never heard of it before.

>Warrior Cats
me mom gave all of my books from these series to her friend's children, feels bad

hell yeah, thanks m80

I'm planning on well as reading:

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World too
and War and Peace by Leo

but idk, I know i at least really need to read more anyway.

das kapital by Karl Marx

Attached: 1522939317540.jpg (500x352, 32K)

you sound kinda interested in archeology right?
and old fantasy eh? x) to be honest most of the fantasy I read is french

sad

for the third time this evening?

I need a new book to read. Can anything top One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? I haven't found anything that can beat it yet.

I could recommend, George Orwell's 1984. That's a great classic for you to read.

I'm currently reading Skin Game, it's book 15 of the Dresden Files, a sort of urban fantasy epic, I could not recommend it enough to everyone, it crosses genre boundaries so much it's hard to find someone who doesn't at least enjoy the series.

On top of that, for nonfiction I'm reading The Perfect Heresy, a sort of popular history telling of the story of the Cathar heresy, from start to finish.

That one was by Ken Kesey, right?
Check out "Electric Kool Aid Acid Test". You're American, so that's basically a really cool part of your country's history and Ken Kesey plays a major role in that book.

honestly I think anyone who reads quite a bit did read this one, it's like super popular

Die SUfag

I actually thought about reading it, but it seems a bit too hard to finish without an economical background. Might give it a shot eventually.
Well, I'm interested in all kinds of stuff. Mostly books on history and various novels from the XVIII-XX centuries. A bit of philosophy too, but that can be heavy.
War and Peace isn't that hard of a read, the only thing that can stop you is its length. If you really want to get into Russian literature, and you aren't afraid of cultural boundaries, I strongly recommend Dostoyevskiy.

begone you amerimutt.
learn how to fucking read id's OP isn't the one posting animoo next to soviet trash.

based

Attached: 1503518248299.jpg (1000x1500, 479K)

Cathar heresy? Wow, I read a little bit on the subject, but never had a certain book in mind to expand my knowledge. Definitely gonna check it out!

Ready player one, again, after seeing the film, still prefering the book

Attached: 1527678342277.jpg (600x600, 49K)

Duuuuuuuude that books so trippy to me. It starts in my hometown, in the jail my dad's spent most of my life in. I know it's irrelevant, but that stuck with me the first time I read that book.

Fuck yeah, dude thanks for the literature advice. I'm really interested in Russian/Eastern euro literature. Since my own mother grew up in Ukraine during the Soviet Union around 1970-1990. I would be interested in studying literature from around Russia would help get a good grasp on mentality and how ideology became such a huge concern during the 20th century. Literature in NA is lackluster at best, so I wouldn't mind getting older era literature for a context of the how the history of the 20th century affected Europe.

That's actually pretty cool

Karl Marx is basically the equivalent of a forum poster who gets absolutely obsessed with arguing with petty assholes who will only be forgotten. Half of his works are basically him screeching incoherently at fucking anyone he disagrees with that he happens to see, in fact some of these people are only notable because Marx made some 13 page pamphlet shitting on them.

Das Kapital is pretty good though, it's probably his best late work.

Honestly after I saw the movie I was interested in reading it, might give it a shot someday

Books are really different from movies, like a book has way more details and let you imagine the scenes, the characters and everything, but you can be way more into a movie since it already has images, sounds and characters talking.
It's not the same way to appreciate art imo

Whenever I get my hands on a book that has a movie to go with it, I read the book first and then watch the movie shortly after so I can compare

The Perfect Heresy is a little biased, the author clearly favors the heretics, but it is very informative.

Attached: 1516033745558.jpg (226x223, 10K)

that's a good idea ^^

Sometimes the movie kinda ruin your perception of the book imo
For example I had a totally different version of Ron in my head when I read HP, and when I saw the movie I was like "wow Ron didn't look like that at all in my head" But now that I've seen the movies, if I re-read the book, I'll have the movie-run stuck in my head forever.
So basically I think it's always better to read the book first

>^^
And here I thought only German people do that.

Anyway, I agree with you about reading the book first.

If you want to see the perception of the revolution by an intellectual of the Russian Empire you should definitely check out Bulgakov. Basically, all of his works are a unique mix of philosophy and criticism of the Soviet Union. Master and Margarita might seem a bit weird for somebody who didn't grow up in a post-Soviet country though.

>Sometimes the movie kinda ruin your perception of the book imo
My case with One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. I just couldn't watch the movie after the book, despite all the praise it got. That's not how I pictured most of the characters.
As far as I know, Cathars did get a lot of stuff right. The way Papacy handled them only reinforces the point. Its hard to blame the author for being biased.

Book of the New Sun. I dunno if I like it or not but I’m on the last book now so I might as well finish

I totally agree with you on one flew over the cuckoo's nest. Like part of the point of the book is that most of those guys could make it in society with just a bit of attitude adjustment, but the movie made them too nuts for that message to come through

The Cathars really were pretty great, but when it comes to talking about Catholic reform movements and heresies online it pays to be cautious to avoid arguments

I am glad I read the book first though.
I suppose so, but I'll still check out the book. I find religious hereseys quite fascinating.

Oh for sure. For what it's worth, the movie got some of the scenes so so right. Choking out ratchet was sick as fuck, and Bromden putting the sink through the window was fucking fantastic.

this thread

I couldn't get through the first 10 minutes or so. McMurphy was a totally different character in my mind. But it was right after I had finished the book, maybe it will be better if I give it a try now.

Really? McMurphy and the nurse were the only characters I thought they got on the nose

I'm reading Anarchism and Other Essays by Emma Goldman

Attached: image_1.jpg (960x819, 149K)

Fuck off mosquito dyke

I mean his appearance, not the traits of his character. I always imagined him to be more of an Irish tough guy. In the movie he didn't seem to be all that independent and tough. But again, I guess I have to give the movie another go.

An article about proteins

boring yet amazing

Can you throw in a link? Not too interested in proteins, but since you say it amazing, I'm intrigued.

The article is in spanish so i'm just gonna paste the asbtract:

Recombinant proteins production (R P) is one of the most important contributions of modern biotechnology. The most important bacterial host for RP production is Escherichia coli, although B acillus subtilis and Bacillus megaterium are also gaining importance. Due to its economical relevance and impact on human health, the present review is foc used on the production of RP in E. coli. General aspects of vector design, strains election as well as cultivation and downstream processing are covered. Particularly, the opportunities to improve cultivation schemes and downstream through metabolic engineering are discussed.

Well, that sounds a bit complicated. Guess one requires some professional knowledge for that.

Your mom's tramp stamp, does that count?