Hey, Jow Forums. Reading anything good right now?

Hey, Jow Forums. Reading anything good right now?

Attached: 1525594480851.jpg (1185x776, 800K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shakespeare.mit.edu/hamlet/hamlet.4.4.html
jwpblog.com/2018/06/08/hamlet-44-to-examine-or-not-to-examine/.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=R2-DaRZzh0I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no

Oh, well, I just finished reading something and was wondering if Jow Forums had anything good to suggest.

Try Terry Pratchett's books. Discworld series is pretty fun.

Thanks! I've heard about it a couple of times. Never gave it a shot though, maybe its about time I did.

There is this historian called Leo (Arakel Babakhanian). Reading second volume of his Armenian history. I like how he writes, am a very slow reader though.

Attached: Ayanami(45).jpg (788x900, 86K)

All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr

I like reading on history. Armenian history sounds like a very interesting one, since you guys have centuries of cultural development. I really hope I get a chance to get aquatinted with both Armenian and Georgian history sometimes!
Never heard of it. Is it something modern?

Yep, your post.

> Armenian history sounds like a very interesting one
yep, for me it is, shame lots of people around think it's useless and boring (history in general really)
>I really hope I get a chance to get aquatinted with both Armenian and Georgian history sometimes!
my all sources are in native language, so can't help with that. Sorry, Russanon, but good luck with your plans~

Hadji Murat, and I need to continue reading the Nibelungenlied. I just finished reading les enfants terribles

Oh, and I started to read as I lay dying by Faulkner as well. I need to finish War and Peace, I have up some long long time ago.

Color of magic is not very good, but if you manage to get past that everything else is amazing.

Nibelungenlied? Damn, I still have so many "must-reads" to cover...
For some reason people dont pay too much attention to history in genral. It might not be all that usefull for most people, but I just find all the events and people very interesting and even somehow inspiring.
And its alright, I guess I will be able to find something decent in Russian or English if I put my mind to it.

It is worth reading and it wouldn’t take very long, even if you are reading something you can still read it on the side. Download it from Gutenberg on your phone or something and read it every while or then.

she's rubbing its skin the wrong way, she's gonna cut her fingers

The thing is, I tend to read a lot of things at the same time. And often end up not finishing some books just because I switch to a different one and it completely absorbs all my attention. Its actually a pretty bad habit, but since you claim it can help reading the Nibelungenlied, I guess its not all that bad.
Thanks for the advice! Not too fond of most fantasy series, but I did enjoy quite a few. Hope this one makes the list too.

You just described me.

Sometimes it just gests absurd, when reading Don Quixote I finished it all but like 10-15 last pages. Was so weird to go back to it after several years only to discover that there is hardly anything left to finish.
Nice observation. Not sure what kind of scale sharks have though.

I think it is because I have too much books, sometimes I get too excited and say ‘fuck it’. I started reading Blood Meridian for two chapters then I stopped, and it is the same thing with countless books - they keep getting pilled up. Right now I want to start to continue reading in search of lost time and start in the shadow of young girls in flower, and I am really anxious to start it because I really liked the first book, but it is probably wise to leave it even if it is going to take me 1000 years or maybe some whim even to start it.

>mfw always thought sharks have smooth skin but in reallity their skin is made out of teeth

Attached: 1478104095934.jpg (601x693, 147K)

For me right now right now its a couple of biographies - Lawrence's, Napoleon's and Rommel Papers, which proved to be the hardest to read with all the military terminology and the very way he wrote it. When it comes to fiction the thing I regret dropping most is The Brothers Karamsov, since I'm quite fond of Dostoevsky. Got caught in the middle of the exams with it and had to leave it for better times. Been like 3-4 years so far, still waiting.
Also Goethe, but the third part of Faust was just too boring to get through.

I kinda never thought of it before. But when American user points it out, it actually does make sense.

>Faust
I still on the first act, but I want to read it again since I was not really in the mood when I progressed through it so I didn’t get as much out of it as the start. Also, how is ‘Brothers Karamazov’? I liked Dosto as well, but I got the Idiot to read before that.

Checked

In my opinion "the Idiot" is just the best thing he had ever written. Easily one of the top 5 of my all favorite books. I didn't see that much potential in "Brothers Karamazov". I mean, don't get me wrong, its great and has its own gems of philosophy, but for me it just can't live up to "The Idiot". It was 3-4 years ago though, so I might look at it differently if I take it up again now.
>Faust
At first its a real page turners. But closer to the end it gets so filled with references to Greek (if I recall correctly) mythology, that it gets hard to get through.

>"The Idiot"
Looks like it gained some priority, probably after I finish war and peace and in the shadow of young girls in flower though.

I heard from a Russian woman that she had to study War and Peace and Crime and Punishment at twelve.

Well, we technically get to read all the basic stuff in school. At least Russian authors, which we have quite an array of. Yet, its hardly enforced in most schools. And its getting worse every year with the new system of exams introduced.

Do you remember what you studied at school? The British syllabus is absolute shit, so I probably had to read like 3 good books before a-levels.

Attached: IMG_20180613_231504.jpg (719x576, 78K)

In Russia schools have (or at least used to have, since I imagine its different now) a rather good syllabus in theory. When it comes to literature it included all sorts of authors and genres. Same goes for history, but to a lesser extent. When it came to practice though, teachers were given full discretion for what to focus on, so they either concentrated on completely irrelevant stuff they liked personally and left everything else out, or simply didn't care at all. If it wasn't for my family and a home library, I probably wouldn't be interested in literature at all.
And its getting even worse now, since the new exams don't require a student to read anything aside from a handful of book summaries.

>If it wasn't for my family and a home library, I probably wouldn't be interested in literature at all.
I guess that is how it is for most people
>And its getting even worse now, since the new exams don't require a student to read anything aside from a handful of book summaries.
That sucks, on the other hand British exams included a question on a scene from Hamlet that isn’t even included in the majority of copies. Oh well, pretty sad since the Russian syllabus used to have such a reputation.

Yeah, we used to be very well-read as a nation. But now it looks like the whole country is going down the drain somehow. I'm not one of those self-hating Russians, but its still rather sad to watch what is happening...

Which scene btw? I only read Hamlet in Russian, so not sure about how complete it is.

I think it is this one: shakespeare.mit.edu/hamlet/hamlet.4.4.html
I heard of it somewhere so I just tried googling something and I found it, jwpblog.com/2018/06/08/hamlet-44-to-examine-or-not-to-examine/.
>Yeah, we used to be very well-read as a nation.
I still find Russians far more well read then anyone else, so it is a case of everything being shit.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out and compare to my copy.

Well, I'm not sure how well-read Russia is right now. When I ask my Russian friends about literature, its either really well-read people, who have read just about anything, or "I don't like reading" kind of people. Somehow I rarely meet someone in-between.

Anyway, it was real pleasure talking to someone who likes literature. Looking forward to discussing books with you again, my friend!

No the only person who cares about what I read is me I have shit taste

Hi :D

Still reading the sociology book about hiking fn, and I started some mangas too today (Dr Stone, Golden Kamui and Made in Abyss)

Also since you like old movies I discovered one in the last Death in Rome music video, it's called Paracelsus and it seems very interesting, I'll probably watch it in a fex days ^^ Did you know about this one?

rn not fn*

Come on, reading pretty much anything is better than reading nothing at all.

Attached: Lapis_Reading.png (700x394, 186K)

Nice to see you again! No, I have never heard of that one. Since you recommend it, I just have to give it a try. Than you very much, mate!

Me too. I will just add one thing though, I am not one normally to read sci-fi but because of Tarkovsky's films I ended up reading both Solaris and Roadside Picnic and they were both much better then expected - just one one more thing worth reading if you haven't considered/read them yet.

Well I can't really "recommand" it since I haven't watch it yet but it looked good ^^

It's all involved fantasy

I am not a big fan of sci-fi. Probably the only "semi-sci-fi" author I like is Kurt Vonnegut. But I suppose at least "Roadside Picnic" is a "must-read". I've heard a lot of positive feedback about Solaris as well, but it just sounds extremely depressing. Thanks for the advice!

Well, you never know unless you try. Guess I have an occupation for tomorrow morning now)
I've heard it can be pretty good sometimes.

>Solaris
This one in particular is good, and it is even well respected and established by academia , it is quite a complex piece of work so it is definitely worth reading.

Murakami

I know its going to be depressing, but guess I will give it a chance. They say the film adaptation is pretty good too btw.

Tried reading him. He is unique for sure, but is he actually enjoyable to read?

>They say the film adaptation is pretty good too btw.
Tarkovsky is my favourite director so you should probably watch anything by him, maybe even watch the film first if you want to. Watching him is completely incomparable with anything else, so he is unmissable
m.youtube.com/watch?v=R2-DaRZzh0I (Not Solaris, but another film of his The Mirror)

I will definitely check out his films. Sometimes film adaptations can be even more masterful than the books. Thanks again for your advice!

I'll watch the mirror, sounds cool :D

:-)

I actually really like russian authors, dosto and chekhov in particular but most of the 19th century writers from Russia just write wonderful short stories and novels

I read little to no sci fi but Solaris was a real experience, very insightful, definitely one of my best reads. I had more trouble with vonnegut though