Honest question here. Why are people from first-world countries able to suffer from depression...

Honest question here. Why are people from first-world countries able to suffer from depression? They are literally guaranteed that they will never die from poverty or crime. Just take a look at the main causes of death in developed countries, they're all medical diseases.
Come to Latin America or go to Asia, people die from poverty and crime in the millions. Now those are real causes of depression.
Not knowing when you will get fired from your minimum wage job. Not knowing when you will get another job. Not knowing how you will survive in the near future. Not knowing when some criminal will stab you from the back to steal whatever little money you have. Not knowing whether you'll die from starvation or from violence.
You will call me a troll, a bait, or whatever. But this is sincerely what I believe: people in ideal conditions have no reason or excuse to get depression. I post this thread because I want to hear your opinions about this, and perhaps change my way of thinking.
If you really believe I'm just saying this to rustle some jimmies, then leave this thread because nothing I say will convince you that I'm giving my honest opinion about this issue. Only post here if you have something productive to say.

Attached: are you fucking serious.jpg (442x293, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gapminder.org/tools/#$state$time$value=2005;&marker$axis_x$scaleType=linear;&axis_y$which=suicide_per_100000_people&domainMin:null&domainMax:null&zoomedMin:null&zoomedMax:null&spaceRef:null;;;&chart-type=bubbles
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I suppose it's about perspective. If you live a lower middle class life in america, but is surrounded by people a lot richer and more succesful you're perspective is skewed towards you doing poorly.

That and genetic mental illness

Attached: 1416762419062.jpg (1447x1148, 148K)

But that's the problem. Just because you think you're poor doesn't make you poor.
And genetics plays a minor role in depression. The most important factor for depression is the environment.

I guess it goes something like this...

If you have too much time on you hands, due to not needing to worry about your survival, you start thinking.
And once you start, you notice that humans aren't "supposed" to be happy, rather they are "programmed" to pass on their genes.

So you could say that certain people end up thinking themselves into depression...

This is pretty much it. Humans like all other animals are pretty much built to survive, if you take the struggle away and give them everything they could want without any reason to continue, it will lead to a lot of thinking. You pretty much remove the purpose of their life, if you think about it. Hardship can be horrible but also rewarding in that you get to feel that you're alive.
Also make no mistake, even though the living standard may be better we face many of the existential issues you do. Our families still die, we still age, we still experience heartache and there's still crime, poverty and worries about money.

Not to mention that there's still disease, disability and loneliness.

Regardless, OP still has a point.

Suicide(per 100'000 people) decreases with higher income.

gapminder.org/tools/#$state$time$value=2005;&marker$axis_x$scaleType=linear;&axis_y$which=suicide_per_100000_people&domainMin:null&domainMax:null&zoomedMin:null&zoomedMax:null&spaceRef:null;;;&chart-type=bubbles

Sadly, there is no data after 2005..

learn basic psychology idiot

OPINION
Middle & upper class have the time/luxury to think about different kinds of problems. Since earning money isn't a top issue, relationships & how they feel are a higher priority.

>people in ideal conditions have no reason or excuse to get depression.
It doesn't work like that. Two examples:
During WW2 London bombings the officials prepared for psychiatric treatment of thousands of people - the opposite happened. There were in fact less people with mental problems than usual.
9/11, same thing. For example some of the vets living in NY and suffering of PTSD actually reported that their symptoms have decreased. Also after 9/11 the suicide rate went dramatically down in the city.

Now, the problem with first world country depression is simply loneliness due to shortage of factors that pull people both physically and psychologically together. There is too much everything else around. This thing has been published in various studies for years. And no one's listening.

Attached: wha wtf.jpg (1078x690, 119K)

You guys know OP is baiting right?

Not sure about that. Because the thing he asks about has been asked around a lot lately.

Stop baiting, Thailand.

Wrong side of the planet... but who cares...

Not everyone in Latin America is poor, and not everyone in a 1st world country lives a safe life. My family in Brazil is middle-class, and yes there is always the danger of a mug, assault etc. but they live with it. On the other hand, how many stories of children being raped and killed by meth addicts in a horrible way in first world countries? Don't believe the surface story, there is an underground everywhere, there is suffering everywhere - kids get stabbed here at 11 years old because of gang violence. Sure it happens far less then in Latin America, but a life is a life and every life is worth the world.

also, just because everything is not completely shit doesn't mean everything isn't bad. Humans are very emotionally demanding, and thus it requires a lot to be truly happy,

If it's who I think it is, he gets triggered when people mistake his flag. Don't fall for his tricks.

Fuck off Thailand

I don't think you know how depression works. It's a chemical imbalance - you can get depressed even if you live a comfortable life.

I agree with you user, completely. There's a serious lack of two things in the modern developed world: being thankful for what you have, and 'sticking through' to deal with your problems.

Depression is not an illness, it's an emotion. And we keep telling our kids that they need medication to stop feeling it, when they have the power themselves, in our extremely prosperous nations with readily available jobs, healthcare, law enforcement and more, to end it.

Lmao Thailand fuck off

Attached: eireabu.png (1200x1600, 1.58M)

based and redpilled

y
l
a
t
i
h
s
^