Oldfags, was the late 90s/early 00s as much fun as it looked?

youtube.com/watch?v=u38TqU5rAyk

oldfags, was the late 90s/early 00s as much fun as it looked?

feels bad to look back at this shit when it's my time to be having fun and everyone's got a bug up their ass.

Attached: wmyag.jpg (618x298, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA
youtube.com/watch?v=QfcLcDBII78
youtube.com/watch?v=oKsxPW6i3pM
youtube.com/watch?v=VGRxmYXi4Io
youtube.com/watch?v=ylMen8z_53c
youtube.com/watch?v=QwbW0fS5_4Y&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=JN4ATDfCYmo
youtube.com/watch?v=hJOhfC7rz7U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

70s, 80s were better.

Attached: 80s.png (768x906, 652K)

yes. it was the peak of civilization before social media and 9/11 ruined everything.

Yea. You could openly call your friends faggots as a general insult and no one gave a fuck.

there's definitely pre and post 9/11 era's.
in the 90's the US wasn't really involved in huge wars, the internet wasnt as large scale and normal, so people still had to talk to eachother face to face and go outside to have fun. so through rose colored glasses, yea, it was more fun. A lot of kids these days seem to lose innocence earlier and earlier in age which sucks.

Not really if you're a loser in 2018 you'd still be a loser in the millennium.

The future was bright and we couldn't wait to grow up! Also we didn't have smart phones which niece it or not was a good thing. People actually did shit and gave things their undivided attention. The internet was still a strange and magical place. Not just something you took for granted.

Yes it was awesome dude. The parties where people weren't experts on everything because the internet didn't ruin everyone by making 99% of people know it alls. That and phones were for talking and texting not socializing. Laughing and joking during conversation not debates and opinion while getting offended. People are just sad losers nowadays, even the popular ones.

youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA

Attached: 1373057036423.png (490x588, 25K)

I just miss the teen movie genre

Old man here, late 90s Early 00s was... so so wonderful man.

I was an unironic pop/punk/metal skater. I had a string of pop/punk/metal skater gfs... house parties, skating in the parks, watching jackass, going to festivals. Literally the fucking time of my life.

>Cuz I'm in too deep!

I remember gettibg high as fuck and seeing American pie in theatres on the last day of summer vacation with my bro's. Pretty comfy times.

90s were so relaxed and positive. I miss them so much.

>wow betas and slags are so based

kys

Attached: 1513314529493.jpg (1400x1212, 252K)

?

Attached: 1281377386613.jpg (396x304, 23K)

It was great wasn't it?
Sigh.

Everyone had a bug up their asses in the 90s. Late 90s and very late 90s were the 'fun' parts. Still, lot of people were nihilistic, directionless. empty fucks back then. They just had limited outlets (no social media). It's why trash media like Jackass, Springer, Ricki Lake, goths, Nu Metal, emo, flourished.

Don't get tricked into thinking it was utopic, though. Rememeber it was this decade that gave birth to the first school shootings.

The mid-90s were the depressing part, mostly. Then it got depressing again in 2001.

A bit of these, as well:
Stoners and lazy fuckers still existed, but on average, people were way more attentive. If you wanted to do ANYTHING, you had to have the 'balls' to call or go out and talk to people. People were less flakey due to this, 'cause they had to go out and meet face to face. You couldn't cancel on someone by text at the last minute and it be cool. That was a hugely dickish move, due to the person having to wait there for hours.

I think that's why some products were better back then, too, fewer flakes in general. Sub communities were smaller and IRL, so unreliable people were kicked out of the circles. Nowdays, try forming something like a band without getting flaked on for months.

No, anyone who says yes is probably a retard born in the early nineties who thinks life was better because they were kids

>i-it's not just nostalgia
yes it fucking is you pricks

early 90s and very late 90s were the fun parts.

>everything remains the same and nothing has ever been better in the past
(you)

>everything wasnt about politics and people talked shit to each other online all the time

>less complainers / whiners about "toxicity" and problematic behaviour and such

>early myspace had really easy, pretty girls dtf

>Linkin Park, KoRN, Limp Bizkit, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, Deftones all were on the radio along with other numetal/altrock bands.

>food and clothing was super cheap in US and junk food tasted amazing

>huge focus on individualism and freedom of expression and speech both on the streets and in the media

>the rest of the world still worshiping decade old US culture like 70s and 80s

>bunch of cool and innovative toys, big domestic action figure market, card games, comic books, wrestling at its peak etc

>golden age of game TV shows, early morning cartoons, and sports teams/rivalries

Attached: 1529248200996.jpg (400x400, 28K)

This so much. Everyone gets touchy and offended nowadays and its illegal to make fun of anything.

Yes. Back in the 90s and early 2000s nobody really gave a shit about the small minority of people offended by dumb shit because we realized that everything had the potential to offend someone. Now we go out of our way to make sure nobody is ever offended by anything. Calling your buddy a fag or something may have been annoying to the gay community before but they at least realized that it was said with no ill intentions towards them. Now if you even say “wow that’s gay” when talking about something you think is dumb or whatever you are pretty much labeled a gay bashing nazi.

If a sit-com like Friends was made today many of the jokes wouldn’t make it on the show and the LGBT community would start posting articles about how Joey and Ross should be gay with each other and Chandler should be a transsexual just because they are offended that one of the most popular shows on tv is not representing them even though they are a very small minority

>the small minority of people offended by dumb shit
Then somehow all their screaming and yelling online spread like a disease.

You faggots are forgetting PC culture became today's monster in the 90s. You're just too young to remember. The movies of the 90s and 2000s have a totally different set of rules to 80s, 70s, and 60s. Those decades are of a different cloth. The 90s was when that legacy started to die out and be replaced by PC shit.

Even shit like Goldeneye with a female M or various other 'stronk women' characters repeatedly telling the male char how sexist he is or matching him physically. That shit never flew in the 80s and before. Started in the 90s.

Main heroes calling people fags as well, that stopped in the 90s.

>caring about movies in the 90s
get a load of this nerd, skating, partying and music festivals was the fun not media

The 90's didn't give birth to school shootings. There was the University of Texas clocktower sniper in 1966. He killed about a dozen people.

>wah i can't be racist anymore :(((
cry more bitches
>defending the most tired jokes on friends

born too late, born to early etc.

born right for the gender-race war

everything before social media was better

Just think, all of this can come back. All we need is an apocalypse. Sure you won't be around, but there will be a generation that will experience it.

The Internet has ruined everything. Social media is a disease. Ease of access to the Internet has ruined society. The Internet has so much redundancy though, we're going to need some global scale problem to ever go back. Which means, we are never getting to experience it again. We can at least rest knowing that some generation, somewhere in the future, will almost definitely get to experience life without easy access to the Internet again.

A few of my favorites
youtube.com/watch?v=QfcLcDBII78
youtube.com/watch?v=oKsxPW6i3pM
youtube.com/watch?v=VGRxmYXi4Io
Blink 182 are good but overrated, josie for example is a bad song. Also music died after 2009 by the way /b/ros.

>tfw nu metal
>tfw teen comedies
>tfw no terror attacks
>tfw buying a BMX even though you were complete shit on one just to hang out with your buddies
>tfw making extreme sports/Jackass ripoff videos with your cassette tape camcorder
>tfw society was far less divided and people were friends

Attached: edp ending.png (959x539, 649K)

the 90s and 00s were a fucking joke of meathead fuckwits and twink boybands. Nobody had style or class and culture was boring and dumb in the US. You could get away with waaay more in terms of sexuality, free speech, clothing, and culture in the 70s and 80s. It was an objectively bad time, fight me you fucking boomers

Attached: 1482509934135s.jpg (250x250, 7K)

>boomers

I was born in '82 and yet it was

100%.

>You could get away with waaay more in terms of sexuality, free speech, clothing, and culture in the 70s and 80s
That's the point
The 90s reigned in the degenerates and allowed the healthy middle class to prosper

pretty much this is what it boils down to

>wah I can’t be racist anymore

That’s my point exactly. Most people are not racist but today’s SJWs and a bunch of crybabies on the internet will tell you literally everyone is racist. Any joke that COULD be considered racist or homophobic even when it’s not is racist or homophobic. Even if you have to twist the joke around and search for any potential hidden meanings it’s still racist and homophobic. People love to complain on social media and so they never pass up on the opportunity to be offended by something.

no idea i went full neet right about that time

It was perfect. There was more than enough technology, but no social media. People acted a lot more normal back then.

And made everyone so bored and pissed that Nirvana channeled the angst and became one of the biggest bands of all time, solidifying the momentum of the liberal nutso shit we see today because the 90s made everything too fucking boring and placid.

Seriously everyone in this thread must be 20s and below reminiscing about their childhoods. That's nostalgia, not history. Take skating, a lot of people mentioning that punk life. Dude 70s and 80s was where that shit came to be, and it came to be in style. Lords of Dogtown? 70s. Slick cool dudes skating the cali coast while listening to Parliament (funk), Queen, or Black Sabbath. Dancing with hot blonde sluts wearing rollerblades. Then the 80s came around and the style/culture was basically the best timeline/good version of the sjw shit we see now. Guys dressed like girls, girls dressed like guys, everything was funky as shit, music was electronic and weird, gender-bending taken from Bowie, etc. BUT, it was just people living their lives and exploring culture, instead of making a political argument out of it.

90s? 00s? Skating went from lords of dogtown to fucking jackass and bam margera, farting into each others faces, breaking their elbows while skating because they are completely fucking hammered, and then laughing about it. I mean fuck, one of those guys was filmed chugging alcohol with his ass. This was prime subersive 90s/00s culture. Fuck those times.

Honestly, the 90s were kind of bland. Anyone says otherwise is just nostalgiafags

It's a bit of both you stupid cunt.

It was an absolute wasteland but I loved it.

It's kind of funny that one of the first examples that came to mind was the fact that me and my friends always used to say 'that's gay' aka shit.

It's such a good example of how touchy everyone is today.

>90s? 00s? Skating went from lords of dogtown to fucking jackass and bam margera, farting into each others faces, breaking their elbows while skating because they are completely fucking hammered, and then laughing about it. I mean fuck, one of those guys was filmed chugging alcohol with his ass. This was prime subersive 90s/00s culture. Fuck those times.
sounds like you just hate america, commie.

The late 90's were, but it was a pretty carefree and positive time to live.
Skaters were just a subculture though. Jackass was more an early 00's thing.

>Even shit like Goldeneye with a female M
But at least the movie references this and plays it for a laugh when Bond meets Hagrid; in today's world, it's just expected and never gets brought up. If it does, there's outcry.

remember when people used to write this line on forums like digg ?
> " I dont agree with what you said, but I will defend with my life your right to say it!"

Cant imagine seeing it now

Adulthood is realizing that Tom really was the heart and soul of Blink and they're garbage without him

PCism was on the rise in the 90's but it is often far overstated by "take off the rose colored glasses" spoilsports, such as yourself. It was never taken seriously by the average person, and actually died off a bit. Its influence in movies was there but could still be interpreted innocently.

>you will never go back to then

Attached: crying-pepe-pepe-the-frog-clipart-2894_2300.png (2894x2300, 162K)

Exactly and gay people who were around in the 90s understand that. They might be annoyed by the use of the word but they don’t take it as a personal attack and just assume “oh he said something that is stupid is gay! He must be a homophobic racist!!!” I would understand where they are coming from if we openly used to make jokes about killing gay people and racist jokes about killing minorities or something to that degree and we’re pissed off that we can’t anymore but it’s not even in the ballpark. People are just sensitive as hell now and social media gives them the perfect outlet to cry about it.

But user you've made a mistake, all of those bands are pure garbage

it was really great. I was always looking forward for the next music video. movies were fun. life felt real.

oh yeah I remember. getting wasted was so fun until people started uploading everything in facebook.

pls

your parents were high as fuck at warehouse raves being promiscuous and having a lot of fun

youtube.com/watch?v=ylMen8z_53c

It was in creep mode where people were starting to notice it as an annoyance, but it wasn't ruining day to day life yet. Pic related made fun of a lot of shit that was exaggerated then yet well surpassed now. It came out in 1993. I think the loss of the carefree attitudes really started with the War on Drugs, MADD, and other 80s bullshit that took until the early 90s to really become the wet blanket that made a lot of the 90s feel very bland and boring. It was hit an miss of course, since you could still be edgy and appeal to some people. Post 9/11 was when it all locked down and the current climate of being busted or ruined for saying the wrong thing started ramping up.

t. oldfag

Attached: p15629_p_v8_ab.jpg (960x1440, 192K)

Early to mid 90's were great. Late 90's/early 2000's fucking sucked.

No he wasn't, blink was the three of them and could never work without any one. Tom ruined the band with his ego.

They nailed the fact that colleges are one of the biggest birthplaces of this crap.

Ayyyyyy another '82 baby

Yep, and never let a woman run your administration either

That guy had a brain tumor though and was legit schizo, he also wasn't a student

loudest megaphone my guy.

US politics is founded on the idea that even the smallest communities can have a (sometimes significant) sway in decision making. Social Activists brought that idea to the forefront in the media using the internet and now the smallest minorities dictate what can and can't be said to each other.

Tbqh that picture should be retired. That guy played football for Greensboro College, not even D-1 FCS football. They're a shit-tier team and it is a shit-tier private school. And judging by how old the picture is, he was going to school when Greensboro was ghetto as fucking hell, so there would have been nothing to do when you go out. t. Greensboro native.

t. 12 year old

90s were very good compared to the horrid timefog we are in now

There were less niggers and arabs in Europe, so over here it was objectively better.

>that 28 year old boomer who still listens to pop punk

Attached: 1527520729927.jpg (250x229, 8K)

90s/00s cultural oppression was a direct result of Boomers' children finally becoming teens/young adults. The Boomers went through the 60s/70s and wanted to settle down from the wacky shit, so they tried getting away from the crazy culture of the 80s (doesn't help that shit like the aids epidemic and lots of drugs really scared a lot of people). When teens/young adults no longer had an outlet despite looking at all of this wild culture from the decades prior they started to rebel. I don't blame them.

Watch the Adventures of Pete and Pete to really grasp what it was like growing up in a carefree time. Man, I miss those days.

Attached: Pete-Pete-From-Adventures-Pete-Pete-625x352.jpg (625x352, 41K)

>stirner posting
kys

well they did, only nobody said anything about it.

no one that lived in the 90s thinks that Nirvana and that aesthetic was the end all be all of the 90s

that sort of shit made up like 5% of the 90s

Stuff like Dumb and Dumber and Adam Sandler movies better sums up the 90s than Nirvana

People had positive outlook on life. They weren't morose and overly sensitive. Politics made up a very small portion of the typical week.

Man this brings back memories
>walking down the street in the late 90s
>suddenly three naked midgets run by out of nowhere
>see a slutty nurse with her uniform buttoned down
>everyone could just run around naked and no fucks were given
Those were the days.

They were a mainstream band who sang about fucking your mom and your dog. Major artists nowadays take themselves too seriously. It's just boring.

Attached: 1499065578719.jpg (1200x675, 242K)

I miss the 90's everyday

Attached: airborne.jpg (448x252, 23K)

1000000000000000000000000%. The 90s was the gradual fall off. It wasn't total shit, but I remember wondering where the fuck movies like Rambo, Commando, Kickboxer, Back to the Future, Running Man, neon fun skate culture, fun rock went, instead of being a cynical douche about little fucking everything. Me and my friends basically ignored most movies growing up in the mid to mid-late 1990s. We were still watching shit from like Rocky wondering what the fuck happened.

Everything before became commercialized in the 90s.

>blink 182

only fags listened to that crap "punk"

Attached: 1263739285527.jpg (756x567, 66K)

You only say that because they're popular. You don't sell millions of records with bad music.

when is the last time you listened to a radio. most popular music is terrible.

There are many clips like that on YT.
youtube.com/watch?v=QwbW0fS5_4Y&t=

No it's not. And a lot of the music you hear on radio don't sell as many albums as blink-182 did.

late 00s was peak kino

Attached: zyzzbrah.gif (498x294, 1.22M)

COVERED IN CUM PUT ON YOUR GAY FACE

LEFT YOU ON /mu/ BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO TASTE

youtube.com/watch?v=JN4ATDfCYmo

Growing up in the 90’s was based. But you should realize that these times are great aswell. Just don’t be a bitchboy and things will be fun. Who cares if people get offended.

This is true. It's obviously a different time and things change with time but you should live your life and enjoy it.
Spending time nostalgiaing and sulking around only ruins your own life.

>tfw I wasn't a teenager until 2013
It's not fair

No, it was embarrassing having Fred Drust being worshipped

>oldfags, was the late 90s/early 00s as much fun as it looked?
Seemed like I was mostly working, so not really.

Didn't these guys go on to create Doom or something

This. Everything past the early 2000's has been going downhill in every way. The only thing I'm somewhat grateful for is better Internet connection and computers, though even that only sped up the birth of social media and other cancerous phenomena.

>ywn sit at home watching Nick GAS gameshows all day
>GUTS
>Finders Keepers
>Double Dare
>Get the Picture
>Think Fast
>Nick Arcade

>bunch of cool and innovative toys
Watching 90's RC car commercials is the fucking best.
youtube.com/watch?v=hJOhfC7rz7U

>You could openly call your friends faggots as a general insult and no one gave a fuck.
This is still my reality.
Feels good man.