Do runes have magical powers

Please no Christian or atheist faggot answers. The germanics believed the runes had magical properties so if you drew it on something or wore it on clothing it would have an effect. Is this true?

Attached: 19E2DFD4-C75F-4CBA-9989-E1FCDB307408.jpg (1024x1024, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_magical_staves
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_magic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yeah, submitting to such demonic things as these does tend to invoke what one might call "magic"

Attached: 1536982622787.jpg (1920x1080, 257K)

Begone desert spawn

Attached: 1512475698880.gif (403x360, 112K)

I think it depends on what you mean by "magical".

If etching a rune on something allows you to better focus and channel the meaning of the rune into existence, and thus improves your performance and life, then yes in a way they are "magical". If you mean magical like a fairy tale then no.

If you know what they actually mean and believe in them and can invoke them. Otherwise they're just scribbles on rocks. The power comes from the person's interaction with the rune, not the rune itself. That's why so many religions ban idolatry, the power comes from within and not from the idols. The idols/runes are just helpful tools for reminding you how to unleash that power, they didn't literally bestow it to you

scamming idiots could be considered a "power"

I'd start from the bottom up.

Imagine a plethora of human experiences divided into 24 (number of elder futhark runes) archetypes.
Any situation can be illuminated by one of these aspects in a way that makes sense. It is a great method of contemplation, you can ask a question and the rune provides you the way in which the situation should (could) be understood.
I strongly suggest you try something like this.

As for the magic part, it is beyond my scope but I can see why people ascribe them divinatory powers.

Attached: rune.jpg (1600x1200, 288K)

you're a brainlet

No you fucking cringe LARPer.

You're asking the kind of questions which cannot be answered properly without initiation. That is because we lack a shared vocabulary and understanding of a number of concepts.

If by magical you mean "an effect outside the realm of accepted science", then yes.

>post images of Catholic/Orthodox hocus pocus ceremony
>chastises others for practising 'magic'

Hearty kek

>yes goy, all your heritage is larping

What do you think memes are?

Words have magical properties, the written word even more so. The runic alphabets seem to be imbued with mystical symbolism almost like in hieroglyphs but beside that the fact that you could encode meaning on a rock that would stand for eternity meant you were a great shaman. The ability to use runes like the ones found in Constantinople to direct adventuring troops to where they could reinforce your campaign meant you had physically more power over the world thanks to mastering runes.

Magic isn’t real you fucking child.
Next.

Poetry is also magic, modern poets can't even begin to condition their minds to be able to do what the old poets used to do effortlessly. Kings would trade a sword worth the GDP of a small country for one grand poem about them because the poem could entrench them as rulers even more than the sword.

Yes, user, Runes have magical powers.

Back when I was 14, I watched Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, where it was revealed he got his supernatural stamina and durability from the thurisaz rune (called the thorn rune in the movie) scarred on his chest. Being a dumbass teenager, I thought "Hey, I'll invoke this supernatural diabolic power, it'll be fun". So I grabbed the closest pen, which happened to be red, and drew the rune on a piece of stiff paper that came from a Reese cup package, and tucked that into my jacket's breast pocket.

That was Thursday afternoon. I stayed up late that night watching tv and playing vidya, then stayed up later. Wound up not going to sleep Thursday night. Well fuck it, I'll go to school without sleep, I've done it before. But this time I wasn't tired. Also I neglected to eat anything, and didn't develop an appetite anytime during Friday. Get off school, come home, start doing shit I do, and didn't go to sleep Friday night either. Nor Saturday.

I spent three days with no sleep and no phone, only drinking a little water, without feeling a bit of fatigue. I realized how fucking weird it was Sunday morning, and started to get worried. I had toyed with demonic horror movie magic I didn't understand, and it seemed to be working. Perhaps I was putting my soul in jeopardy? So I went and found the rune in pocket of the coat I'd since taken off, and burned it. I then lay down in bed, instantly went to sleep, and slept 23 hours until Monday morning.

It was among the weirdest things that ever happened to me.

*no sleep and no food

How the hell did I make that typo? I don't think I even owned a phone then.

>Doesn't know that Christian runes existed
Stupid, fat Niggee

No one cares about the jew runes except for the jews

All symbols are inherently magical, so yes.

Based spirit of thor, and the giants

Attached: 1532913465999.jpg (475x475, 32K)

ITT
Retards discussing magic being real.

What the FUCK is wrong with you retards?
You dribbling fucking idiots.
I'm gonna go find a real board, perhaps one that discusses politics.

stfu kiwi

WOW that American rhetoric, that repartee
WTF I believe in magic now
praise jebus and pass the burger
HURRR I'm An American
Everyone thinks we're clever and cool
People think we're reasonable in claiming the Russians meddled in our elections

On how many levels of retardation can one board be?

Mods are fags and "politics" are irrelevant compared to magic.

only Odin could do that

The magic from runes, as with any other kind of symbols, comes from the way language interacts with out brains (i.e. ourselves). They represent mathematically complex tree hierarchies of complex conepts. What these symbols do is in actuality to activate certain processes in your brain resulting in a specific behavious. In that sense, they can be experienced to be external to oneself, although it is more like communicating with your own programming and avtivating certain regions.

Whilst what you're saying is technically true, and on that level I have no objection,
you're essentially making an argument for 'transcendental truths' which I would argue are, on some level, useless bullshit that doesn't accomplish anything, and perhaps holds us back.

The whole 'x actually = y' thing is the bit I'm objecting to.
You know, 'god is love' kind of crap, or 'god is the universe'.

I don't mind that 'apple' is a placeholder for the plethora of objects that we categorise as 'apples', I do object to 'apple is a symbol for growth/temptation'

why muddy the waters? I don't think it achieves the goal whatever you state the goal being.

You are the one ignoring context and redefining words, thereby muddying the waters when trying to understand what ancient people were talking about. The original question is about what the Germanic people believed and if it's true. They believed runes were "magic" and they were right.

You should know since you are polish

Thanks for the 'you', I intend to use it to pay for my Internets, friend.

I'm not muddying the waters though, and its not fair to say that I am. My starting position is that X = X, and X =/= Y.

The question is about belief, and I say it is dishonest to assert as fact that which is not evidently true.

Did they believe in magic? Sure, doubtless there have been those who are reality challenged throughout history.

What words am I redefining? I'm saying X = X.

Runes are NOT magic in the sense that they can have any effect other than symbolic, which is what they are, symbols.

I'm sort of becoming to the concept that language itself, abstraction, mathemathics, is metaphysical in every practical sense of the word. Since it is not part of the physical world it IS separate. I'm simply relaying my conscious experience, and I think most on here would agree that our autonomous nature is due to consciousness. I also belive our conceptions of reality is mathemathical in that our perceptions are stored in that way in our biological computer.

Of course there's much more to this, but there's some shit in here that's true. Our experience of existing IS abstract in some sense. And stimuli affect us, mathemathics does too when expressed in symbolic representation (language). Basically symbols can have instinctive responses based on perceptional stimuli casued by evolution, and programmable properties based on "abstract stimuli" conveyed by language/astraction which is a purely human endeavour, as far as we know.

I havent defined my thoughts with containing "trancendental truths", I'm an empiricist and theorist by nature, but I'm not ruling anything out. I just think that how language effects us can be interpreted as divine, but I belive the answer lies in the way our brain truly functions.

When reading texts like the Sagas they don't talk in terms of symbols but magic so you're the one saying x = y. When someone asks if what they mean by magic is real the answer is yes. They also talk about deeper metaphysical ideas related to the nature of symbols that you would never even allow yourself to consider because you're a brainwashed sperg.

Metaphysics?
Pass.

I want nothing to do with the whole worthless pile of shit.
Metaphysics literally can not accomplish anything of value.
If it can, it becomes physics.

I know, you're completely transparent.

Projection: The act of claiming your opponent is guilty of the thing that you yourself are in fact guilty of.

Your assertion that I am muddying the waters could use a fucking example that relates to me actually doing it rather than me strongly asserting that you don't go fucking fuzzying up the definitions of words like 'real'.

Calling me brainwashed? Grow the fuck up.

Oooh! don't metaphysic me bro!

The reason symbols are so powerful is because they interact with US, with YOU, with ME. They create a response in us. How that response is created and what sort of consequences they have is unknown to us so far, and simply measuring the brain has proven insufficient to provide a clear answer.

It seems irresponsible to disregard the fact that out experiential nature can seem mystical to us, it doesn't mean it IS, but starting there might be a good place to find scientific ways to test it. And there's loads of evidence, I just haven't had the drive to collate any information yet.

>Your assertion that I am muddying the waters could use a fucking example that relates to me actually doing it
I explained it already and it's very simple. The texts which are the source about the Germanic beliefs use concepts like magic, someone asks if it's real which the answer to is yes.
You jumped in saying magic isn't real but it turns out you're talking about something completely different from what the texts and us in the thread were talking about which you then acknowledge. You didn't add anything except muddiness.

no
treefuckers are gay. I bet you're not even German but celebrate German paganism instead of what your ancestors did. That is the case for the majority of your stock anyway.

Attached: 260px-Agahnim.png (260x332, 100K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_magical_staves

and
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_magic