/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. gaming, video rditing, VM work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600/K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / i7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000+ MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-currency miners have driven GPU prices up or depleted stock
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050 Ti- 140 USD; 1060 3GB- $200; 1060 6GB- $230; RX 570 4GB- $170; RX 580 4GB- $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080 Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p
>GTX 1080 Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider M.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: Ps4_Pro.jpg (4032x3024, 1.97M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Zvmmq4
forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/03/20/new-clues-suggest-msi-and-gigabyte-are-aligned-with-geforce-partner-program/#309c1e824c6a
pcpartpicker.com/list/6B7GGG
pcpartpicker.com/b/yzZRsY
pcpartpicker.com/list/GvvdXP
pcpartpicker.com/list/DFqP3b
pcpartpicker.com/list/bDTpGG
pcpartpicker.com/list/VgNxGG
youtube.com/watch?v=RwF5XewHmU8
forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/
overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=99753
pcpartpicker.com/product/Nbbp99/acer-monitor-umvh6aa003
youtube.com/watch?v=ucJqHUpc2RU
pcpartpicker.com/list/4pYmq4
youtube.com/watch?v=j3ssad0qZuU
pcpartpicker.com/product/FWNp99/logitech-headphones-981000536
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sup Jow Forums

Attached: IMG_20180329_160405.jpg (2610x4640, 2.68M)

I know that picture, its from the guy who was asking if he could get the ps4 gpu working on his pc

Everything's fine except the DVD player

Is there any difference at all between the GTX 1060 Windforce and the 1060 G1?

The chip is exactly the same, if that's what you mean. Besides that, heatsink, fans, PCB might all be a little different. Just google 1060 reviews, there are plenty of comparisons between individual brands.

>MSI

Attached: homo.jpg (800x468, 113K)

Yeah just looking, seems like the G1 is marginally better. They're about the same price at the moment so I may as well just spend an extra tenner and get the G1.

This is my soon to be build. I'm going on the shopping journey next week.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Zvmmq4

Rate me

It might be worth it, specifically with Nvidia if you can get the card to run cooler it'll perform better as well, wont even have to fuck around with OCs if you're not comfortable w/ that.

Attached: Matt-Perks.jpg (400x400, 33K)

If you're an AMD loyalist, you shouldn't be supporting Anus and Niggabyte products. Don't make me report you to r/AMD.

please elaborate

You're so cute

Attached: 1433214227883.jpg (2688x1520, 1.34M)

forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/03/20/new-clues-suggest-msi-and-gigabyte-are-aligned-with-geforce-partner-program/#309c1e824c6a

>using reddit

Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI have all signed the GPP.

Attached: DY18EseWkAE7DNh.jpg (550x1200, 60K)

Attached: Implyingairquotes.png (380x288, 114K)

Sorry, wrong link

pcpartpicker.com/list/6B7GGG

It's a meme, what he's saying is you should be purchasing Gigabyte and Asus products just to piss off Reddit.

>Asus motherboard
If you wanna be pro AMD, get either Biostar or Asrock for the motherboard

>$450 XFX spaceheater
Phew, was just about to point out how you were overpaying for the RX580 but that's a whole lot better!

Why do we even need cases? I think a build without cases is cooler looking.

>brand loyalty
>2015+4-1

im memeing too, I dont care if anyone uses reddit tbch

XFX and Sapphire make some of the best AMD cards around.
fuck off

Sapphire maybe, XFX is garbage-tier. But I guess they're an AMD board partner so it's alright.

Knowing that MSI products are trash and recommending literally any other brand isn't a lot of loyalty for a hired gun.

pcpartpicker.com/b/yzZRsY

>overpaying for a worse product just because it's amd
lmao the state of amdrones

That's bullshit. XFX have always made great cards. As far as I can see, their middling reputation comes entirely from them fucking up their 290/290X cooler initially, resulting in sky high VRM temperatures, but they fixed that with later revisions and their other cards are great. And literally every manufacturer except Sapphire fucked up their 290/290X cooling.

what should I change?

Protection, much easier transportation, grounding. I think it can even help airflow if everything's done right.

They fucked up their 6770's too.

Which is why you should stick with Sapphire if you want to support AMD board partners. No idea what their 580s are like since I don't own one but it wouldn't surprise me if they ran way hotter than they should.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GvvdXP

Have I been fucking up? Also I need a PSU, any suggestions? I'm putting a GTX970 into this build until prices go down.

I still run my XFX 6770 because it's the only card I could find that could fit into my Dell prebuilt OCd to hell and back and runs super cool.

pcpartpicker.com/list/DFqP3b
What do you guys think of muh build? I think I need a better gpu

>34"

You blind?

You wont achieve 720 30FPS on any recent game with that piece of shit GPU, sorry.

>Using a $20 cooler on an 8600k
Get a $50 liquid cooler at least. Thats what i did and its fine.
Do know too much about PSU quality though srry

>Have I been fucking up?
yes. Swap for a Ryzen 5 1600 system.
When GPU prices come down, I'd suggest investing in an AMD card if only for Freesync.

As to a PSU suggestion, I'd suggest a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W

Ah shit, I figure that Nshitia would dissapoint me. I bought a Riva TNT from a shady hobo near where I lived and it didnt even fit into my 7 inch laptop! Can you believe it!

The 8600k is quite a bit stronger than the Ryzen 1600 in individual core perf so I don't think he fucked up. His mobo looks great for overclocking as well.

It depends on what he wants to do with his rig, I guess.

pcpartpicker.com/list/bDTpGG
easily 30% more performance.
if you're mostly gayming then i'd pick 144hz monitor like MSI Optix and i5 8400+z370 mobo.

pcpartpicker.com/list/VgNxGG
better mobo, cooler, ram.
wd blacks are a meme - if you want faster storage you get bigger ssd.

>downgrade your build
nice try, amd shill. also 750w psu is an absolute overkill. get out of my thread please.

>His mobo looks great for overclocking as well.
it doesn't. z370-p vrms are garbage

>6 threads versus 12
The 1600 has more longevity. This is just like when short sighted morons looked at 7600ks posting higher framerates than the 1600 and proclaimed them the winner completely ignoring the 7600k was at 100% cpu usage.
youtube.com/watch?v=RwF5XewHmU8

>fucking up their 290/290X cooler initially, resulting in sky high VRM temperatures, but they fixed that with later revisions
That's a pretty seriously shit situation, as a consumer you most likely don't have any knowledge about the board revision you're getting. Potentially getting an old one and having to deal with it is a PITA when you could get something else with no known issues.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/VgNxGG

None of those coolers are in stock where I live. Thanks for the link though, swapping out the ram already saved me a couple bucks. I chose the WD because my current Caviar Black has served me like a champ for the past 6 and a half years.

>ShillTV
fucking kill yourself amdrone. 'muh longevity' meme has been repeated since bulldozer and your extra threads dont mean shit when IPC is way fucking lower, retard.
fuck off back to Jow Forumsamd

what are your opinions here, I've been out of the IT loop for at least five years, have no knowledge of current brand quality, but I do know that my last corsair RAM lasted eight years so I'm inclined to give them repeat business.

any input is appreciated.

Attached: giveittomestraightdoc.png (685x639, 54K)

>None of those coolers are in stock where I live.
the alternative is be quiet! Pure Rock or FSP Windale 4.

my bad, I should have added that I'm primarily going to play games, probably 1080p / 144hz, and will likely record / stream.

>your extra threads dont mean shit when IPC is way fucking lower,
Ryzen isn't lower in IPC. It's higher.
>so why is performance lower?
clockspeeds.
Clock any Intel chip at the same clockspeeds as AMD right now and compare them I GUARANTEE AMD will come out on top.
Intel is gonna have their ass handed to them next year when the 7nm CPUs get released. Global Foundries has confirmed 5.0Ghzz on 7nm CPUs in testing while Intel has said their 10nm chips WILL be slower than their 14nm chips.

so the different motherboard is that much better?

if you want to OC then you need WAY better cooler and motherboard. like $80 more for both.
you're absolutely overpaying for that corsair ram, it should cost $20 less. ram almost never breaks, so there's no reason to be loyal to corsair. their memory kits aren't that good either.
for $28 more you can get mx500 500gb ssd. 850 evo will be a bit faster but it's not worth having twice less capacity.

what's your usage? if you're mostly using it for gaming then lowering your cpu to i5 8400 and using saved money for gtx 1080 would give you better performance

>Ryzen isn't lower in IPC. It's higher.
you know nothing. inb4 'agner's analysis' which you haven't even read because you're fucking retarded and know nothing about cpus and different architectures. zen is on par with haswell
>Clock any Intel chip at the same clockspeeds as AMD right now and compare them I GUARANTEE AMD will come out on top.
well you're objectively wrong because the benchmarks you mention have been made and amd is still behind. r5 1600 would need to be clocked 0.5ghz higher than i5 8400 to fucking MATCH its performance. you should stop reading Jow Forumsamd
forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/

check z370 VRM table: overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=99753

Attached: qKhwq3T.png (960x540, 52K)

Getting all my parts for putting together on Saturday, it'll be my first time running Windows 10, what should I be aware of?

it's a botnet

thank you, i will decide on my brand loyalty, because when i got that corsair ram i had multiple other sticks fail right before it so i was happy with corsair. what kind of cooler would you recommend? i actually wasn't planning on overclocking, but the performance of the K is appealing to me since my budget is basically 1500 flat and i plan on streaming with a CPU codec

but what kind of mobo do you recommend now that you have a more full understanding of my wants? i really do appreciate the input, i know it's minimal gains and price differences but i'm gonna have the machine for absolutely as long as i can before it's upgraded / replaced

Great. I'd swap the case for a Enthoo Pro M Acrylic or a Eclipse P400 and the monitor for this cheaper (but older) one pcpartpicker.com/product/Nbbp99/acer-monitor-umvh6aa003

Acrylic or the Tempered Glass version for a little more**

Hold on a second, I knew about Gigabyte and MSI, but now Asus too?

rumored, not confirmed

No offense but AdoRed is a complete fucking joke. Only unironic AMD shills watch that terrible channel. Bit of a shame that even /pcbg/ falls for that reddit tier garbage.
youtube.com/watch?v=ucJqHUpc2RU

pcpartpicker.com/list/4pYmq4

The HDD you recommended isn't available either, nor was the ram. Or the coolers. Fucking hell, sometimes being a europeon is suffering. I did manage to find ram that was higher rated for almost the same price. Swapped out the mobo and ssd as well. Now I only need a fucking cooler. How does this look?

Please boycott anything with unnecessary leds or windows, thank you.

since i assumed you're in the usa i picked the msi one because there's a promo for it. but if you're in europe you might want to switch to 'asrock z370 extreme4', unless it's more expensive than msi.
as for the cooler if none of these i mentioned are available then just stick to 212 or 212x. they're only a bit worse and more noisy than h7/pure rock.

i bet he has thousands in amd stock.

Is the Node 202 shit or decent?

ANUS will unquestionably be on board. They've always half-assed their AMD cards anyway. They're not going to make some stand against Nvidia and lose out on the large majority of the GPU market. Maybe if AMD had a product ready, but they don't. It's going to be another year before we see a new high end AMD GPU, and it'll probably end up only matching a 1080 Ti or something.

I still dont understand what gpp is can someone exprain

It's a program from Nvidia. Basically in order to get engineering and marketing help, the companies have to align their gaming brands EXCLUSIVELY with Nvidia Geforce cards. So with Asus, this would mean no Rog AMD cards. With Gigabyte, no Aorus AMD cards. With MSI, no Gaming X AMD cards.

Basically, Nvidia taking ownership of brands from other companies that focus on gaming.
See the comic here:

On the off chance you're not trolling, Nvidia said to graphics card builders:
>we help you and give you free advertisement, and in turn you remove any AMD cards from your gaming gpu series
This is a bit more of a grey line than what Intel did back then which was straight up paying pc builders to not sell AMD. This time they can still sell AMD cards, just not within the Strix/Aorus/Gaming X series, etc.

See for real world examples of how it's already affecting things. These companies will only sell AMD cards in generic boxes with reference or cheap coolers from now on. The gaming brands and beefy coolers will be exclusive to Nvidia.

haha funny XDDDDDDDDDDDDD its really bad parts bbut with a really expensive gpu!!! :DDDD

Just purchased an Optiplex 9010 for $210
Specs:
i7-3770 3.4Ghz
16Gb 1600Mhz DD3
2TB HDD
Windows 7 Pro

Decided to also grab a refurbished MSI RX 460 Low Profile for $120, which required getting a $20 replacement power supply since the stock one is only 225W.

Total cost is $350
How bad did I fuck up, Jow Forums?

Attached: dell_optipex_9010_1233614_g4[1].jpg (606x604, 64K)

Thoughts on the EVGA X299 Dark mobo? Only thing I really see missing is Thunderbolt, and that it "only" goes up to 64GB DDR4 RAM.

Any other recommendations for X299 boards?

Attached: 816ktGFxD4L._SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x1125, 195K)

>how bad did I fuck up Jow Forums?
stop humble bragging you massive faggot.

EVGA's motherboard BIOSes have historically been absolute shit compared to the big boys, but I don't know anything about that board other than Gaymers Nextass were wanking over the fans on the heatsinks.

Buying X299 at all seems weird to me though. It was a colossal failure of a platform.

X299 is a massive failure. Just get an X399 motherboard instead.

I couldn't resist. Let me blow you.

Honest question, not giving you attitude here: how was it a failure? Price and overheating?

i want to buy a 4TB drive, what reliable models should I look into? I heard HGST is good but i am not sure, any suggestions?

That's not enough reason?

Insane power draw for average performance outside of highly-specific workloads.

Seagate or Western Digital Caviar Black

it was rushed.
Intel got spooked when AMD announced just prior to Computex that they'd launch X399 and that they'd have 16 cores and 32 threads on the high end.
Intel panicked. They pulled the launch of X299 in by 6 months to launch it at computex as well. But they had to 1up AMD. So Intel announced 18 cores and 32 threads. Interviews with boards partners confirmed that the 14, 16 and 18 core variants were news to them since they'd been working on the assumption 12 cores at most would be the high end. Intel didn't even have 18 core chips until 6 months later when they rebranded Xeons for it.
And this is before getting into the KabyLake X debacle. The 18 core Intel chip is literally twice the price of AMD's 16 core chip, and AMD's 12 core chip is $2-300 cheaper than Intel's 10 core chip.
Then there's Kaby Lake X which has zero reason to exist and even some board partners said they refuse to support it on their motherboards. Intel says the reason for Kaby Lake X is to give their platform a lower entry point.

Here. This sums up X299 pretty well
youtube.com/watch?v=j3ssad0qZuU

And then there's the fact that every single X299 chip runs hotter than the surface of the sun...

>switch to 'asrock z370 extreme4', unless it's more expensive than msi.

It's actually like 10 bucks cheaper, but that would require ordering from a separate store with longer delivery times. 212 it is, then. Fucking hell, guessing I'm done here, thanks for all the help! Have a qt snek.

Attached: 1513443217873.gif (270x188, 1.78M)

>So Intel announced 18 cores and 32 threads
*34 threads. typo

>Seagate
dude you trying to troll me? these are infamous for their unreliablity
>WD Black
many are complaining that the drive is making clicking noise. I want my PC to be quite.

You said 4TB, is it only for storage? Would definitely not choose a faster and therefore warmer Black for that, a 5400rpm hdd would work well, something like one onf the old WD Greens (now Blues) or Reds.

Okay I'm looking for decent headphones under $50, having a mic would be a plus but isn't totally necessary I guess. I've never used high end headphones so don't come at me like I'm an audiophile who needs the most perfect midtones in the history of audio engineering to enjoy music. Budget isn't big enough for that kinda stuff anyway. I'm currently using some rather shite headphones that hurt my ears and sound like I'm living in a cup, and an old logitech USB microphone coiled up in front of my keyboard lmao

Leaning towards this: pcpartpicker.com/product/FWNp99/logitech-headphones-981000536

See?

JizzTIM makes delid necessary if you want to overclock. Not even liquid cooling can keep higher core models at reasonable temps somewhere over 4.2-4.4GHz. Which means that they lose pretty much all the clock advantage over Ryzen which will sit happily at 4GHz without being hotter than a sun.

For the price of the 10 core model you can get a 16 core threadripper which will outperform the 10 core intel model in pretty much anything that can utilize all those processing cores. X399 also has 64 PCIe lanes on all models while X299 has max 44 lanes on +10 core models.

Yes I plan to using it for storing movies, animu, and music. And probably some games.

Kingston HyperX Cloud. Literally entry level audiophile headphones with a mic attached.
Only pick the original Clouds though, the other variants (Cloud Revolver, Cloud Stinger, etc.) are based on other designs, usually sounding worse.

Attached: kingston_hyperx_cloud_headset_comparison_ndtv.jpg (635x318, 58K)

should i buy another 1080 and do SLI?

Attached: guts.jpg (1440x1958, 2.01M)

no, sell your 1080 and get a 1080Ti instead, performance will be almost double and it will be stable unlike SLI.

i had a ti before i sold it and went back to the 1080
i wasnt that impressed with it
the 1080 does better at 2K price to performance wise

Attached: skylakex.jpg (587x880, 147K)

As a consumer, why should i care about GPP?

SLI doesnt incerase perfomance as you think it does, usually it makes stuff run worse.