I tried to develop something in C++ on Linux and I realized that there isn't a single IDE that isn't a buggy...

I tried to develop something in C++ on Linux and I realized that there isn't a single IDE that isn't a buggy, under-performing, featureless pile of crap. Is this the power of Linux? Not having a SINGLE proper C++ IDE? Even the overly hyped Code::Blocks look like something that belongs in the 80s. For fucks sake, no wonder why everyone laughs at your stupid OS.

When I came back to Windows and fired up my beloved Visual Studio, it was as if skies had opened, sunshine streamed through and embraced me, a flowery aroma permeated the room and the angels of death metal started playing arcane guitar solos above my head.

Visual Studio is light years, no fuck that, it's MEGAPARSECS ahead of all your Linux toddler-tier tools. You can't even compete.

>in b4 muh unix is an IDE already
Yeah no

>in b4 Qt
lmao

Attached: 1393197086988.gif (250x208, 1.49M)

Other urls found in this thread:

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/java-csharpcore.html
youtube.com/watch?v=XfvU3P9x7RU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Vim with some plugins.

Vim is fine for small scripts it's fucking absurd to use it to develop anything even remotely larger than a single file script

Attached: 1279165661008.jpg (600x426, 37K)

>$3k Civic with a few simple mods

I maintain a 250k LOC project using vim, cscope and a couple of other plugins. How is it absurd?

If that's true then I am equally impressed and appalled by that fact.

People developing for Linux tend to only write small, toy programs

They don't need proper IDEs that are required for developing complex software.

Where I work we use VS to develop for Mac and Linux too, we only use IC to build

It's actually 500k.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 14.17.48.png (1422x136, 38K)

Comments and empty lines shouldn't be counted.
Use sloccount

>Even the overly hyped Code::Blocks look like something that belongs in the 80s.
Turn on minimal layout and Firefox tabs.

Further proof that Windows owns C++ coder's nuts. Enjoy your eternal botnet and 'team' of filthy pajeets you dumb reddit crossposting homo

Visual Studio doesn't have this problem.

I'd rather enjoy a botnet than be deprived of the most basic features Visual Studio had back in the 90s.

Linux coding is a meme, torture yourself with GDB for all care

Of course, then it's back to my original estimate.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 14.28.04.png (998x488, 105K)

I maintain a 13mil LOC project using Vim. And by that, I mean I make shitty commits to the Linux kernel.

Go home Linus you're drunk

Learn to browse, dumbass.
CLion.

Qt Creator.

>subscription based
Are you fokin kiddin me m8

Dude, you're advocating fucking Visual Studio. You don't get the right to complain about any form of pricing.

Also, CLion has a community version that isn't a fucking glorified editor like VS Code.

Not op but for real, what do peoples use to maintain somewhat complicated c and possibly c++ programs?
I just started trying getting into linux beyond server shit and i know sooner or later i'll have to deal with that.

>CLion has a community version
Yeah? Where?

Last I checked I can freely develop proprietary code with VS Community as long as my company stays below some pretty absurd limits ($1mil yearly revenue).

So yeah, I do get to fucking complain.

tmux+vim+some vim addons+make+gcc

If you're such a baby you really need a gui ide then Qt Creator is pretty good.

vim (nvim) or emacs with plugins (ctags/gtags, cscope for code completion, some gcc indexing shit for static linting, handy macros for collapsing functions/classes and block comments, etc).

It's fucking trivial to make vim and emacs a front-end to GDB as well.

If you're not familiar with either, then unironically use CLion, Code::Blocks or Eclipse.

Last time I tried CLion it was unbearably slow on my X220

>Using an non-free program to build free programs.

>Last I checked I can freely develop proprietary code with VS Community as long as my company stays below some pretty absurd limits ($1mil yearly revenue).
This is fucking absurd ridiculous. Such licenses are truly cancer, Stallman save us.

There's also netbeans

>java based

Attached: black-wet-cat.jpg (500x375, 90K)

Ask a stupid question....

At least it isn't written in VB .Net, like Visual Studio is.

Visual Studio is mostly written in .NET

I'll take .NET, thanks

Attached: top-asp-net-features-19-useful-features-to-do-more-with-asp-net-14298.png (433x230, 4K)

>.NET Core

Holy hell that's some jewish marketing scheme. I bet they measured Java servlets, Go and Node.js serving actual HTTP requests from a remote machine, whereas the .NET Core benchmark was just C# programs doing request to the CLR during normal (local) execution. Holy shit, that's the most jewish thing I've seen all day.

>i bet it's all rigged!!one
Your tears are delicious

I don't know how they measured "requests" for Java Servlet, Go or Node.js, but one thing is for sure and that is that they clearly measured apples and pears.

Imagine if a Java benchmarked bragged about how fast Java programs could interact with the Hotspot JVM and serving "5 million requests per second". The entire Jow Forums would be on it spouting "5 million poos in loos".

clion?

.NET is way more modern than Java, go figure which one is better optimized to run on modern operating systems running modern hardware?

that doesn't mean shit boi. i work for some obscure company that has '$100K' software aka an expensive shitty ecommerce site.

vim is shit for anything with giant file structures. tabedit kinda makes it easier but honestly having a gui file structure on the side of an editor makes it 100x better

They're about equal.
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/java-csharpcore.html
Feel free to optimize.

That's not the fucking point. They've compared apples and pears, they've compared a server framework (servlets) to doing system calls to the runtime.

>vim is shit for anything with giant file structures. tabedit kinda makes it easier but honestly having a gui file structure on the side of an editor makes it 100x better
There are like 30 different plugins for making a project file navigation buffer in vim.

You're just bad at vim.

I'll add to that that in an IDE you are always a few clicks away from any feature you may want to use, be it a debugger or a profiling toolchain, or source control, or any number of smart features available to you. Compare this ease of use to a workflow involving basically nothing but the terminal, where you waste precious time figuring out how to write configs for things that should be standardized ages ago. I guess you can get by if you're really, really good at it and you devote your life to understanding every minute detail of whatever toolchain you're working with, fine. But devs are better off writing actual code and not fighting with the internals of a system that was already obsolete back in the 70s

It's streamlined for development, not wasting your time on bullshit.

In comparison, it's like if I wrote a benchmark that measured the completion time for doing the write() system call and then I compared that with a benchmark that opened a TCP socket, made a full HTTP request, waited for a full HTTP response and then closed the socket.

>.NET is way more modern than Java
What planet do you live on

If you don't like it, make your own then.

Or maybe you're just a mediocre, bitter, faggot who can't really program.

Also clang's autocompletor is more than suitable for my needs and just inject those suggestions into vim.

One where reporting calls to the CLR is considered an equal "request" as a HTTP request to a web server written in Go, apparently.

Yeah, I'll do that the second you make your own car. While you're at it, make your own computer too. Dumbass

I unironically agree with OP. Visual Studio 2017 is the pinnacle of developer productivity today. Hands down, nothing else even fucking comes close. Even if you completely strip out intellisense, which is fucking perfect today, the IDE is superior in every way to everything else. The recent addition of native support for cmake projects should settle even the most autistic of neckbeards.

Nerd tree

>he is presumably over the age of 18 and hasn't built a functioning automobile
>he is presumably over the age of 18 and hasn't built his own computer

lol

I'm sorry? How is making something that is basically a text editor with widgets and whistles like making a car or a computer?

c++ sucks. just use c. you dont need gay objects to do simple tasks.

>maintaining your software

> what is Nerdtree

>an IDE is a text editor with widgets
Visual Studio is just about the most complex piece of software in existence, you garden gnome collector

If FOSS folks can manage Blender, which I admit is fantastic software, why oh why can't they at least do something that is 30% as good as VS? Just tell me that and I'll go away

>Visual Studio is just about the most complex piece of software in existence,
Please stop, I'm dying here.

Attached: laugh-nazi.gif (245x230, 871K)

Yeah sorry but in C you need to invent a working stargate to handle even basic strings tasks

C++ STL is simply too good

Do you realize that .NET Core has one of the fastest webservers ever created (Kestrel)? Even if this was done on what you perceive to be "equal" terms, every other language would be absolutely blown the fuck out.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 9.17.42 AM.png (1207x1603, 254K)

You've yet to even explain what makes vs so magical and have only slew insults and basically bent over backwards to suck Microsoft's cock.

Just stop

Lol this. It is what makes it fun though as long as you arent trying to get actual work done in time.

The only thing c++ doesn't have over c is the ability to make dead simple abis.

>what makes vs so magical
Just use it user

If you're not hooked by week 3 I give up

Attached: 1293393293093.jpg (600x891, 99K)

>what is Clion

>he can't even explain what makes his software good
>j-j-just trust me it's super fast

Fanboys gonna fanboy, I guess.

>Yeah sorry but in C you need to invent a working stargate to handle even basic strings tasks

kek. Also, why would you use c over c++? C++ is pretty much C plus some features that are optional.

What makes visual studio so good is how the developer user experience works. To articulate the 1000s of little things it does correctly to save you time is a waste of my mine, so all I can say is to try it. It's fuckin free.

>simple tasks
fizzbuzzer exposed

>explain why VS is good
I won't even mention the millions of features or the absurd level of compiler optimization, I don't have to. Just one word will do.

U fucking I

Every other IDE I've ever used, and I've used plenty - pales in comparison. VS has a brilliant workflow and a UI that's well organized and actually makes sense. That's the #1 reason why VS is king. It's because tools like Eclipse or NetBeans make you want to saw your monitor in half with your dick once they're done giving you PTSD for life.

First of all, visual studio code isn't visual studio, so you can stop that nonsense right away.

Secondly, I actually worked as a C++ developer for windows applications for 3 years, and while I think it is nice, it's certainly not perfect. One of many things that really bugged me is if you try to store project files outside of the source tree, you literally have to fight and manually edit XMLs every time you fetch or commit code to the version control; speaking of witch, it didn't properly support git, so it was a fucking pain to deal with and I had to open up a cygwin shell to have basic git functionality.

Also, another thing that really sucked with Visual Studio is the lack of regex text search. I tried many things, such as using the famous "make VS editor like vim" plugin, but guess what, regex search was not part of its features.

>everything is a menu option, or hidden behind a gorillean GUI buttons
>good UI design

Clearly, using Windows for a long period of time has completely ruined what you regard as good UI design.

See

That is actually proper UX, as long as the user is guided to the proper feature as optimally as possible

>clicking through a million "Advanced" and "More..." buttons because of design decisions that were made 15 years ago and Microsoft can't ever change because the user will then no longer find it where he expects
>proper UX
Pick one.

>Even Code::Blocks
obvious bait

Visual Studio Code if you need an IDE. Most of us don't.

Jesus, I was reading that comment while thinking of this.
Bless you.

vim is not a good ide, really. it is ok for editing scripts.

vim plugins really suck. they are written by dumb fucks. if you really think vim with addons is a good for developing c++, you haven't ever done anything complicated.

you can use git from cli and reload changes in ide, what was the åroblem there?

>Even the overly hyped Code::Blocks
Good job baiting, OP and FP.

Visual studio is the best IDE but Qt-creator is as good if you only code c/c++. VS has more language suopport.

>not using emacs

Attached: 1516609620290.jpg (636x398, 18K)

HOLY SHIT, OP!!!!! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW????

CLion, better and cross platform.
Now try to add external libraries to your visual studio c++ project. Linking errors and hours wasted vs 2 sec on linux

>needing a ide
>not using a text editor with code linting
Fuck it.

Attached: 1522374247577-pol.jpg (763x769, 168K)

>It's fucking trivial to make vim and emacs a front-end to GDB as well.
I refuse to believe that
When I'm debugging I want the simplest point and click interface
I unironically use netbeans

>.NET is way more modern than Java
lmao no

>not using the Turbo Pascal editor

Attached: Turbo-Pascal.jpg (800x520, 146K)

>I guess you can get by if you're really, really good at it and you devote your life to understanding every minute detail of whatever toolchain you're working with, fine
this outlines the sad state of modern development really well
>too lazy to learn how my build system works
>too stupid to learn how a debugger without a setup wizard works
why are you even working with C++? seems to be you'd be more at home with python or lua. some nice interpreted language where you don't have to think about scary concepts too much

youtube.com/watch?v=XfvU3P9x7RU

>not using geany
get out

>installs for six hours

Attached: vs.jpg (800x800, 27K)

b8

nice bait

get a better internet connection
vs 2017 enterprise installed on my new laptop in under an hour

>visual studio
The ACTUAL example of something being buggy as fuck.

kdevelop?

and that's a good thing?
should be 10 min tops

You're not seriously implying Visual Shitio is a good IDE right?

You get perpetual access to the last version you paid for once you have subscribed for a year. Additionally, most people qualify for free copies of all jet brains products for personal use and I'd you're doing something commercial, your company should be paying anyway.

CLion

>IDE
Fuck off back to Windows pajeet.