/wt/ Watch Thread, Soviet horology edition

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=gNAz3zpFphQ

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Attached: vostoks.jpg (2912x1928, 1.53M)

Other urls found in this thread:

watchesbysjx.com/2013/05/explained-seiko-9f-quartz-movements-definitive-proof-that-high-end-quartz-exists.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GqMc1HmnTrc
youtube.com/watch?v=UdSYrJBgz78
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: poljot_de_luxe_square.jpg (772x1600, 217K)

> GrAmMaR oF dEsIgN

Attached: 1c6fcad4987d0a87aab4bfadb8fd72ec.jpg (946x984, 694K)

Post to watches set to current date and time

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.4M)

Repost because no one replied last time.

How often do you guys factor in serviceability when deciding on buying a watch? As I have been looking into move expensive watches I have started thinking more and more about long term maintenance.

Attached: Brakeplastic_zpsgjdinfpv.jpg (1024x687, 205K)

You always factored in it’s not complicated do you really need this answered

I think about it only when they starts to lose several seconds.

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 3.13M)

How do you like my NOMOS collection?

Post collections and rate
>inb4 shitty pic
I know, shitty phone camera.

Attached: collection.png (1893x800, 2.78M)

Attached: Nomos.png (800x1639, 1.55M)

This is the second time I have seen you forget to post the image with your first post. You are not very bright are you shitposter?

Pics are all taken with different cameras on different wrists

> de luxe / 12

Attached: 1519962702190.jpg (4032x3629, 1.34M)

How do you like my wrist collection?

What do you guys think of bambino gen 4?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 154K)

Bad. Go with gen 2

Now that the dust has settled. We can all agree it was underwhelming af right?

Attached: eintrittsgutscheine-tickets-baselworld-22-27-3.jpg (577x577, 46K)

>already has scuffs
fucking hardlex

>babying an SKX
your poorfag is showing

>not having your watch 100% pristine at all time
pfftt

>Now that the dust has settled. We can all agree it was underwhelming af right?
Well, if Tudor eventually does that GMT in a more sensible size, that'll be pretty interesting as it has 16710 aesthetics that I vastly prefer to the current Rolex GMT.

Also for me as a Seiko male I'm super interested in the return of the VFA movement and the return of Daini's mark on the new patterned dials. There are rumors going around already that there will be a steel VFA next year, which I'd be really interested in. Only downside is that the gorgeous blue dialed steel 20th anniversary hi-beat isn't available with that VFA movement.

Also the launch of a new 28,800 bph upper mid-range ETA 2892-A2 Top Grade competitor by Seiko in the form of the 6L35 is super interesting because it will open up a lot of new market territory for Seiko between the current mid-range offerings and the 8L powered near-GS offerings.

Attached: seiko_H.jpg (3000x1688, 422K)

pussy

How do you like my vintage raketa?

Attached: BD762D9F-5821-4A5F-B186-E0F13CF8027C.jpg (3264x2448, 1.13M)

>already
>implying you know how long I’ve owned it
>implying there are scuffs

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.15M)

Did you get it from ebay? How much did you pay? Also do non-export models carry a premium?

tfw you meet your eBay nemesis who buys everything you want

From what I heard there were a shit-load of independents at or next door to the main show this year that had some amazing new watches. But for whatever reasons the media coverage barely showed anything except the same four or five watches.

Is there anywhere I can buy those older style thicker springbars?

So far, I haven't. But my post expensive watch was 350€.
That being said, I'm currently looking into more expensive watches, and that is definitely a factor. I'm not sure if I should prefer ease of servicing (any watchmaker can service a 2824) or the backing of a big brand (Omega and Rolex will be able to service their stuff for decades, but it will be expensive).
But something like a Nomos is strange. They have an in-house movement, so are you going to give it to the old guy on the corner of the street in 5 years? It should be relatively simple since it's time-only but still... Sending it back to Krautland would be too expensive given the cost of the watch, and they don't have service centers worldwide.

I think it really starts to become a worry when you're looking at complications though. An in-house chronograph is a great thing, but it means in-house servicing.

So yeah. I do worry about servicing.

>tfw never scratched any mineral, hardlex, or sapphire

Attached: thescreensavers.jpg (1024x681, 362K)

SIHH was better than Basel this year.

ebay

kek nice

Attached: ssc019p1-ssc01-ssc019-seiko-chronograph-quartz-solar-powered-watch-.jpg (800x800, 133K)

>Seiko
smdh. only their GS offerings were nice. they butchered the MM300 and didn't show an alpinist replacement

Attached: StargateOblique3Crop800.jpg (800x793, 172K)

seiko just shit in our mouths. Tudor did exactly what everyone expected them to do.

fuck, i think Rolex was actually the most interesting company there, which is saying something

I had one of those, pretty reliable.

I did get it from ebay and i paid £14. I think the Poljot ones are more expensive.

The 6L35 powered baby snowflake was also great. I agree that the rest of their new non-GS offerings at basel were mostly hot steaming shit though.

If you're in the US you could get this - ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SEKONDA-23J-GENTS-WATCH-WORKING-ORDER-CONDITION-Unusual-black-face/273134941275?hash=item3f981c745b:g:ndkAAOSw0wtavltW

Sekonda was a umbrella for import watches, I've seen poljots, raketas and luches branded as sekonda.
When talking about that movement the poljot and vympel ones are the most sought after and then comes luch and sekonda.

It's a joke about how people wear watches that are too big for them/how Nomos has stupidly long lugs

Mmmm yea. Truly the gentlemen’s watch brand.

Attached: image.jpg (450x640, 224K)

I'm pretty hyped about the BB58, but that's about it. As another user said, SIHH was better.
Last year's Basel had a lot more interesting watches.

>6L35 powered baby snowflake was also great
it's cost of $2200 isn't. they already released a $1000 presage snowflake and that was already pushing it

>Post to watches set to current date and time
not many people here actually own watches and phones with a camera user, good luck

Well to add to this, the 6L35 and the 1spy Citizen seem pretty cool, but they're not in watches I care about for now. And I'm still waiting on an in-depth explanation about the AMC (I hope Jack Forster will do an article).

Kek
Show us what you have.

I'm in the EU, will keep my eyes open then, seems like most Poljots are in the 100$ range though and I'm not paying that much for slavshit

It's an ETA 2892-A2 competitive movement in a very nicely externally finished dial/case/bracelet and its a limited edition. There is no chance they'd price such a watch much below $2k.

Nah, the Sekondas are just as good. I think they're based on the Luch version, plus I think I prefer the Sekonda logo myself.

Attached: DSC_437.jpg (3264x2448, 2.26M)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that 1spy Citizen. I hope they put that in a decently styled wristwatch soon. It even looked like it had a damped second hand like GS quartz movements do. I'd be super interested in one if the price is sensible.

What’s a good watch for a salesman?

Of course it's perpetual calendar right?

Seamaster or Submariner.

>damped second hand
Educate me, what is this

Slavshit is actually criminally undervalued. if you can get a real non franken slav watch that is fully functional for 100 dollars you basically robbed an idiotic slav.

helps him know what time it is

Attached: mynewstrap.jpg (3264x2448, 2.53M)

But a rope instead

Mine

Attached: 20180330_103109.jpg (2560x1440, 1.12M)

>if you can get a real non franken slav watch that is fully functional for 100 dollars you basically robbed an idiotic slav.
If it's totally fucking mint with all the papers and boxes, then yes.

Stepper motor quartz movements usually produce a backlash/bounce at the end of the second hand's travel at each tick that is pretty cheap looking. Grand Seiko designed their 9F quartz movement to eliminate that second hand bounce back on each tick, so it stops dead on each marker and stays there until the next tick Citizen appears to have done the same on their new movement.

See: watchesbysjx.com/2013/05/explained-seiko-9f-quartz-movements-definitive-proof-that-high-end-quartz-exists.html

youtube.com/watch?v=GqMc1HmnTrc

the 2209 movement and 2809 precision movements are very well designed and very well made. If you get a decent watch with one of those movement for half the price of an skx it's a pretty good deal in my book. Maybe not if you live in eastern europe but for Americans it
really is not half bad.

Nice handclock

The thing is that you don't know in what state that movement is, with a 7s26 you will get at least 5-7 years, with an ebay 2209 God only knows, and if you can't service it yourself then you're fugged

They are good indeed, but I personally would still purchase one according to market prices and seek the best deal possible.

Thanks.

I approve this edition. In fact, I bought myself today two early Soviet amphibias with 2209 handwind movement from Ukraine for very cheap. I'm planing on "fusion" both watches into one I like and selling the one with the parts I don't like.
This is the first Amphibia with the sought after "swing lug case" but meh dial and hands.

Attached: vostok1.jpg (1600x1200, 170K)

This is the second Amphibia with a cool classic dial in cyrillic and the very sought after vintage paddle hands and meh case.

Attached: vostok2.jpg (1600x1200, 160K)

This is the fusion I'm planing to do, using the more sought after parts. Not sure on which bezel to use though, probably this one, which is original. This is an edited image btw, haven't received the watches yet.

Attached: vostok3.jpg (1600x1200, 643K)

... and this it how it would look like if I kept the Ukrainian "fake vintage" bezel, note the position of the 30. What do you think?
Got both watches for 80€, will sell the left-overs' watch for 40€.

Attached: vostok4.jpg (1600x1200, 609K)

I set mine to the wrong date, fuck you

Attached: IMG_20180330_115024.jpg (759x1012, 252K)

Both look horrible. Whynot get a nice clean watch and not this dirty, scratched up piece of shit from some third world country? Not sure where you get off on the idea that this is a nice watch but it really isn't.

That is a disgusting arm and watch you hairy ass.

Interesting idea, but wouldn't it have been better to just buy the first watch and then then parts you need?
The dial and the hands on the second don't look that good to me.

It's just a project, I just find it fun to larp as a wachtmaking mastermind. I will probably clean the dial, repaint it if necessary, try to fix the lume and so on.
Regarding aesthetics I bet there's other anons that will like it. You seem to be a slavshit hater in the first place.

convince me not to buy this shitter

Attached: Capture.png (905x554, 1M)

I just like nice watches and not garbage scratched shit like what you showed. You're time must not be worth anything if you have time for this silly project.

Is that really yours? I’m considering one but really feel like Rolex is cheapening it’s own brand by pandering to rappers.
What are your favourite and least favourite things about this watch?

Looks like every other watch a recent high school graduate would wear so I think you should get it big boy.

You are maybe right, but I've been looking for a decent example of that dial for long enough and they seem to not pop up frequently. I guess I'll be able to restore that dial and hands. They just need some cleaning and regarding the lume I think I could fix the 1 o'clock index, which is out of shape.

Rappers have ruined every brand really. Just buy what you love and forget about anything else.

Nice hands.

people on /wt/ will call it a steinfart

Good Friday. Don't want to get out of bed.

Attached: IMG_20180330_130241.jpg (3968x2976, 2.53M)

Whats /wt/?

What kind of dollar store watch is this? Looks like something you'd get for free ay a trade show as a promo item!

That date window is a terrible choice, what were they thinking?

Well not really. Omega still have a good image.

I mean ffs see

I actually like the beat up dial and hands, vintage swiss watch collectors would call it "patina" and jerk off to it.

Nautical sales.

youtube.com/watch?v=UdSYrJBgz78

rolex che-lee-nee

Ugly as fuck watch but oddly a great investment purchase as they sell for over 150% of their list price second hand. The ROW's are an extremely limited production with a long waiting list.

You're right. It does look bad. I don't even need the date on my watches. Less fuss setting them when I want to wear them.

Also quick question. As a wristlet should I forget about even considering a Panerai?

Yeah it's mine.

Pros:
It's a beautiful watch. Seriously, the case and bracelet are flawless and the dial is a nice deep glossy black and the gold hands and markers look great.
Comfortable and understated
Normies don't recognize it as a Rolex because it's small and not a Sub or a Datejust
The perfect legible time-only design with no extra bullshit
Classic design that dresses up or down with literally anything, I wear it almost every day

Cons:
Slightly older movement and inferior lume compared to the 39mm version
I have to admit not having the date is slightly inconvenient even if I like how it looks without the date
It's not a 1675 pepsi GMT-Master
Not covered in diamonds so the homies know I'm nigger rich

Let me guess, you have hairless nubile teen lesbian wrists?

this is a fake but aquanauts aren't really any better

I really, really don't like the Royal Oak/Nautilus/Aquanaut. When people say they like them I feel like they're meming me.

I'm just not a dirty Neanderthal.